Melbourne Football

Vi7it0rs

Ando

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is that self-policing per se or self-policing of the possession of flare(s)?

Would you turn a blind eye to, as an extreme example, possession of a hand-gun? And if not, where would you draw the line and on what basis?

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

A Victory supporter with a handgun. Now there's a terrifying thought

So, is that self-policing per se or self-policing of the possession of flare(s)?

Would you turn a blind eye to, as an extreme example, possession of a hand-gun? And if not, where would you draw the line and on what basis?

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I am sorry but whenever someone asks an "Extreme Example Question" in an debate I automatically really dont feel like I can be bothered giving any answer... as the discussion has moved to an unrealistic place.

A flare is not a gun just like a bank safe is not a loaf of bread.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Look I agree that I would not flares around my loved ones at a match either... 

But there is already sufficient enough penalties and surveillance from the League and Stadiums to deter PPL from lighting flares... are you proposing that supporters should therefore also self police each other and inform security/police if they spot anyone with flares?

I am not proposing anything. Other than expressing my disappointment that's all. Would prefer that people be more responsible for their own actions really.

• Like 2

Is coloured smoke really that big a deal ? 

No but smoke inhalation does and try tell that to the mother who had her child injured at last year's derby. On that note, I think restricted zones inside the stadium is the way forward.

Edited by raw10

No but smoke inhalation does and try tell that to the mother who had her child injured at last year's derby. On that note, I think restricted zones inside the stadium is the way forward.

It won't make headlines in the AFLs Herald scum, but i reckon more people have been injured falling down stairs than smoke inhalation over the years 

People are going to light flares regardless of what rules there are. I reckon the a-league should make a certain time period in the game (say the 48th minute) where flares can be let off.

And if anything, they could try to experiment working around it rather than policing it the whole game, take for example in european field hockey:

http://www.ehlhockey.tv/house-rules-bloemendaal-easter-2015

FLARES

During EHL tournaments, spectators often create a special atmosphere with flares. The EHL organization will allow the use of the flares, but within the following rules:

·  If you use flares, you must go to the ticket office and ask for someone from the Organising Committee of EHL to inform them about your plans.

·  The use of flares is allowed only before the match until the moment the line-up starts. It is not allowed during any matches/or shoot-outs.

·  Make sure to stand on the top row of the stands ONLY and not in the middle of a group of people.

·  Lids must not be shot towards the pitch.

·  A maximum of 5 flares can be lit at the same time.

·  Make sure to have a bucket of water with you where the flares can be dropped in afterwards. This bucket can be asked for when informing the member of the Organising Committee. 

·  Please remember to use your common sense and think about the other spectators as well. Also remember that, with heavy wind, using the flares is inappropriate.

·  Listen for directions from the announcer at all times when informing about use of flares.

·  Please note that fireworks are prohibited!

·  Using the flares during match times or where the above mentioned rules are not followed, a fine of €500 will be imposed to the club the offender is from.

This protocol is published on the EHL website and is also mentioned in the programme book.

• Like 1

I don't see any problems with having flares at games :ph34r:

Me neither in all seriousness.

People are going to continue to sneak them in and light them, sorry to tell the police, why not just make people aware of the dangers of lighting flares? Set some parameters so they can be lit and used safely.

• 2 weeks later...

contrary to our popular "we are melbourne and we will be" chant, we probably won't be the greatest team this city has seen

Actually I don't begrudge MV this trophy at all. They deserved to win it, as would Perth if they had won. Both took part in the competition in the spirit in which it should be played - and fielded if not their strongest team in every round, certainly a strong one. We fielded a weak team for our semi-final and lost accordingly. It is difficult to say whether we did that deliberately or not, but I will always have my suspicions about it, and IMO Melbourne City let down its long-suffering supporters once again.

• Like 5

"In 1897, Fitzroy were one of the eight clubs who broke away from the VFA to form the Victorian Football League (VFL).

Despite winning only four games and finishing sixth in the first season, the Maroons, as they were then known, won the premiership the following year, winning the VFL's first "Grand Final" against Essendon. Fitzroy was the most successful club in the first 10 years of the VFL, winning four premierships and finishing runners-up on three occasions."

And we all know how this turned out, don't we boys and girls!

• Like 2

15K to a final. Even with lower cost couldn't get people. Joke of supporters and a club.

Apparently it was a bit of an FFA special $80 for cat A tickets, and I don't think members got in for free. Still I don't buy it, there was plenty of $40 cat C available, that's how much I paid for the etihad derby, and you shouldn't expect to get into a final for free anyway. I think people just don't give a fuck about the FFA Cup and it's probably another symptom of Australia being AFL/NRL territory. My dad asked why I was so upset about losing in a preseason cup. They think it's like the NAB cup (or whatever it's called these days).

It's nice though, MV supporters are always the first to bang on about crowd numbers and now they have some backpedalling to do and excuses to make.

"In 1897, Fitzroy were one of the eight clubs who broke away from the VFA to form the Victorian Football League (VFL).

Despite winning only four games and finishing sixth in the first season, the Maroons, as they were then known, won the premiership the following year, winning the VFL's first "Grand Final" against Essendon. Fitzroy was the most successful club in the first 10 years of the VFL, winning four premierships and finishing runners-up on three occasions."

And we all know how this turned out, don't we boys and girls!

Likewise n the late 40's/ early 50's Melbourne worked out a great way to win flags by using their wealthy supporters in the Melbourne Establishment to offer white collar jobs as incentives to sign talented players.

They ended up winning seven flags from 1948 to 1964... and at one point in time there was a saying "Everybody bar the Catholics support Melbourne nowadays".

Edited by cadete