Melbourne Football

Rd. 18 - Sat. 9th February 2019 vs. Adelaide, AAMI, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

39 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

He will not start Harrison, he is a smoke screen. Someone brought in to appease the supporters. He has had very little football over the past 2 years and that was mostly as a sub in the English 3rd and 4th tier. I also recall a post stating he was injured for a long period this season and  played minimum football for QPR development squad. 

Naughty corner for you.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Naughty corner for you.

The way I see it - he is coming here for minutes against men not boys. Its not the skill but the strength. Warren (as much as he is good for little) does have a great network and reputation in Eng football and I see this is a pathway for younger players with ambition to get some game time outside of the youth setup. Even if this one does not work out I think it could be a very beneficial network to have raising the status of Melb City internationally whilst hopefully helping us with the football on the domestic front. I have few expectations but excited to see what, if anything, he can bring. Obviously some people in England see him having decent prospects. I hope we see in action what they see in belief.

2 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

The way I see it - Warren (as much as he is good for little) does have a great network and reputation in Eng football and I see this is a pathway for younger players with ambition to get some game time outside of the youth setup. 

What?

I have said if we are not playing our talented youth we should loan them out to Indonesian clubs, Vietnam or Thailand, if you watch Asian football they aren't to bad.

It's similar to Genreau, not good enough for A league, but good enough for the Eredivise.

If we have these players but there is no spot for them or not seen as up to standard for the HAL, loan them out ffs, going abroad itself will teach a lot of lessons, but the game time will be the best teacher and the top clubs in these nations are worth more than A league clubs, the Thai Messi has a contract more than any HAL player.

15 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Jamo no chance and you omitted Atkinson also....have you lost your mind. 

Hahaha, delusion I think we call it, it's the least I expect from this dimwit, I would like to call myself a realist and not expect any of it to happen.

IMHO.

28 minutes ago, moops said:

What?

I have said if we are not playing our talented youth we should loan them out to Indonesian clubs, Vietnam or Thailand, if you watch Asian football they aren't to bad.

It's similar to Genreau, not good enough for A league, but good enough for the Eredivise.

If we have these players but there is no spot for them or not seen as up to standard for the HAL, loan them out ffs, going abroad itself will teach a lot of lessons, but the game time will be the best teacher and the top clubs in these nations are worth more than A league clubs, the Thai Messi has a contract more than any HAL player.

I don't think that we would be wise to loan out players under 21 to places such as Vietnam and Thailand. Certainly not if they don't have some very strong off-field guidance.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that we would be wise to loan out players under 21 to places such as Vietnam and Thailand. Certainly not if they don't have some very strong off-field guidance.

The French have invested in Vietnam huge, setting up a Clairefontaine like set up there, about ten or so years ago, maybe a couple of years after we went through our coaching and development overhual, that's why they have given us massive problems internationally recently.

The dutch similar in Indonesia, though nothing as extensive as the French in Vietnam.

Thailand has beaten our national team and football is second to Mua Thai, always has been, it's only been the war and financial instability that has held them back, there is some big mony and support for Thai football, a lot more than here.

17 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

If I hear you speak such blasphemy again I'll wash your mouth out with soap. 

Please no, :D

Edited by moops

1 hour ago, moops said:

What?

I dont disagree. Think it is good for any pedigree of player to play outside of their comfort zone for their professional growth. I also felt the same way about our youth not being good enough for HAL but good enough for other leagues. For whatever reason Warren feels differently... seems like a pretty regular practice in most professional clubs too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I dont disagree. Think it is good for any pedigree of player to play outside of their comfort zone for their professional growth. I also felt the same way about our youth not being good enough for HAL but good enough for other leagues. For whatever reason Warren feels differently... seems like a pretty regular practice in most professional clubs too.

All good mate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

The way I see it - he is coming here for minutes against men not boys. Its not the skill but the strength. Warren (as much as he is good for little) does have a great network and reputation in Eng football and I see this is a pathway for younger players with ambition to get some game time outside of the youth setup.

Agree.

Harrison stated in his interview that he is looking forward to playing under Joyce because he is a good development coach.

That's why he is here I would say or else he wouldn't bother.

Kid will be a gun, so expect him to get butchered by opposition defenders, then stood over and told not to dive, and of course given no protection from the ref ... 

srsly though, if it does work in that he kills it, that will set up a very nice template for epl clubs to send out kids to develop in our league, which would be pretty awesome really. It will show our Aussie  kids what level they need to get to.

Edited by Torn Asunder

38 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Ridiculous with Baccus so close to his 5th yellow during the transfer window why didn't we sign some cover in central midfield instead of Maclaren and Harrison. Shambles. Fold Club. 

How many brothers does he have..... Joyce is wanting to know

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Ridiculous with Baccus so close to his 5th yellow during the transfer window why didn't we sign some cover in central midfield instead of Maclaren and Harrison. Shambles. Fold Club. 

I really don't get the angst most have with Baccus. We should have known exactly when he came in what to expect.

It would have been a completely different argument if his name was actually Forwardus and not Baccus. 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Im going to this game with a change of attitude, a more positive then negative one. TBH i hate the fact that im not enjoying the football anymore and i want that to change. With Jmac and possibly Harrison coming into the squad im excited. City 3-1 win go city.

Wow i can literally see the change in attitude as you type.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 28.Jamie MACLAREN, 36.Dylan PIERIAS

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 9.Shayon HARRISON (new signing), 26.Jamie MACLAREN (new signing), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (promoted)

Outs: 15.Kearyn BACCUS (yellow cards accumulation - 1 week)

Edited by neio

39 minutes ago, neio said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 28.Jamie MACLAREN, 36.Dylan PIERIAS

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 9.Shayon HARRISON (new signing), 26.Jamie MACLAREN (new signing), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (promoted)

Working through that list, no Good, no Najjar? Anyone else significant missing? Also interesting that Dylan Pierias is in the mix.  Not just the fans that were impressed last week, clearly.

53 minutes ago, neio said:

**two to be omitted**

Should be able to field a decent team....... inb4 De Laet is striker, Jmac is RW and Harrison is RB

• Haha 2

"Working through that list, no Good, no Najjar? Anyone else significant missing? Also interesting that Dylan Pierias is in the mix.  Not just the fans that were impressed last week, clearly."

Not sure if you would call him "significant" but Metcalfe's been awol for a while. Was named in the squad every week then just disappeared. Kid was a dead set gun in the youth. Would like to see him given a bit more of a chance like the other youth have been given. Could have filled in for Baccus. 

Also like to see Perias on over Atkinson. He killed it last week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

"Working through that list, no Good, no Najjar? Anyone else significant missing? Also interesting that Dylan Pierias is in the mix.  Not just the fans that were impressed last week, clearly."

Not sure if you would call him "significant" but Metcalfe's been awol for a while. Was named in the squad every week then just disappeared. Kid was a dead set gun in the youth. Would like to see him given a bit more of a chance like the other youth have been given. Could have filled in for Baccus. 

Pierias is an interesting one.  He played in that match a couple of seasons' ago against Brisbane when we had a to play a bunch of kids because of suspensions and injuries piling up - and even as a 16 year old he absolutely killed it. Now clearly that was one game, but he looked the goods, and ready for the first team squad on a more regular basis. Then he disappeared, and Atkinson emerged in the same position, and we all wondered what Pierias had done to drop out of favour. Two years older, he's back, and again, comes in and kills it. He's one of those young players that comes in and immediately looks the goods - the obvious comparison, albeit in a different position, is Arzani. I'd love to see him play more this season - he's the sort of talented youngster that makes watching football worthwhile.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Pierias is an interesting one.  He played in that match a couple of seasons' ago against Brisbane when we had a to play a bunch of kids because of suspensions and injuries piling up - and even as a 16 year old he absolutely killed it. Now clearly that was one game, but he looked the goods, and ready for the first team squad on a more regular basis. Then he disappeared, and Atkinson emerged in the same position, and we all wondered what Pierias had done to drop out of favour. Two years older, he's back, and again, comes in and kills it. He's one of those young players that comes in and immediately looks the goods - the obvious comparison, albeit in a different position, is Arzani. I'd love to see him play more this season - he's the sort of talented youngster that makes watching football worthwhile.

I’d much rather him than Atkinson atm 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomi said:

Metcalf to me looks like he has a bright future, maybe it's because of late he has been getting forward to much, not to Wazza's liking?

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Maybe he takes it easy in training, but comes big in games?

• Like 1

This better be good.  My 16yr old is coming for the first time in a while.  His last two spins through the turnstiles were 10,000 miles away, at Newcastle Utd v Man U, Newcastle Utd v Cardiff. He's getting picky, and I don't blame him.  This has been, in man management terms,  an absolutely crap season. But.....I am looking forward to seeing some power up front again, at last.  

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Working through that list, no Good, no Najjar? Anyone else significant missing? Also interesting that Dylan Pierias is in the mix.  Not just the fans that were impressed last week, clearly.

I knew that would happen, so much for local youth. Likely the Harrison loan deal comes with a minimum game time requirement

• Like 1

There's often little resemblance to the squad announced two days before a match and what we actually see on match-day.

I don't take much notice of these early announcements now.

We need someone to be able to come off the bench and make a difference up front if it's needed. I'm not giving Najjar away yet.