Melbourne Football

Rd. 17 - Sun. 3rd February 2019 vs. Sydney, Kogarah, 5.00 pm.

jw1739

It’s just so frustrating to watch this team. We’re so slow to move the ball and we lack ideas when going forward. Every now and then we will piece together a nice play but with the quality we have on the park it is sporadic.

So many poor crosses floated in. So many unnecessary touches around the box. So many aimless long balls from defence. 

I just hope that Maclaren and Harrison come in and change the dynamic. Play those two and another winger in front of the three best midfielders. For me that’s Brattan, Berenguer and Griffiths, but it’s not so clear cut. Whoever plays well keeps his spot and anyone who underperforms gets dropped.

32 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

What's done is done. If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. Foundation member here so been through it all and not phased anymore. Let's focus on the future.... I hope.

I know it's a tough one to take, but somehow we need to look at these two signings as a new beginning for us and hope like hell things will click as we hit the finals.

Should never have come to this but it's pretty much our only hope this season.

1 hour ago, rass said:

I know it's a tough one to take, but somehow we need to look at these two signings as a new beginning for us and hope like hell things will click as we hit the finals.

Should never have come to this but it's pretty much our only hope this season.

Yeah, ninth season and IMO the despondency and lack of belief among supporters is because, although we've turned over plenty of players and plenty of members of the coaching staff, we just don't seem to be able to achieve any consistency, and in the matches that really count we can't get over the line.

FFS we had the chance to salvage this match from the penalty spot. A senior player should have taken that, not McGree. I just wonder what we practise at Bundoora, what we talk about as a group. Discipline isn't just about obeying orders, it's about getting your head right.

So, so disappointing to go through this time and time again.

10 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Did anyone hear Simon Hill say "I can't remember (in his commentary history) so many poor touches like today".

Surely referring more towards City.

Yes he did in response to a ball Baccus put out from a throw in. But preceding that they had been talking about the wind and he was referring to both teams.

It was sloppy. It was tough conditons to control the ball which had an impact. The turf was uneven. The players were complacent. So many factors.

13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Did anyone hear Simon Hill say "I can't remember (in his commentary history) so many poor touches like today".

Surely referring more towards City.

We had 58% possession, so statistically you are probably correct. I think Mitch Austin was single handedly trying to even things up tho’ :)

Another game that illustrates how inept Joyce is. I feared the worse when he was appointed, because the United reserves under him, where as anti football as you could get. A useless stint at Wigan followed. I was astonished when he was hired by Melbourne City. He is the total opposite of what the club should stand for. This is because of that useless prick Marwood. I have no idea why the likes of Soriano are listening to that clown.

I do hope things turn around for you lads. I believe the only way to have your voice heard, is to demonstrate outside the ground in numbers. Something we did several times back in the day when we were shit lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

FFS we had the chance to salvage this match from the penalty spot. A senior player should have taken that, not McGree. I just wonder what we practise at Bundoora, what we talk about as a group.

They will practice penalties just like other set pieces. I would guess he was the best in practice. But as a good coach will tell you, taking a penalty in practice where there is no pressure is completely different from taking one under pressure in a match where you must score. 

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FFS we had the chance to salvage this match from the penalty spot. A senior player should have taken that, not McGree. I just wonder what we practise at Bundoora, what we talk about as a group. Discipline isn't just about obeying orders, it's about getting your head right.

McGree scored his and our last penalty, unfortunately its just one of those things. Remember the great Bruno was horrendous penalty taker

I assume from next week maclaren will be on penalties 

Well that was rather disappointing, Grant was very good for them and they compressed the right side deep forcing our play down his side. 

Every sub was a defensive player WTF? Although Pierias again impressed. 

Surely Wazza won't get an extension to his contract, we are terrible under his leadership. 

I don't mind Wales, a better manager could help him, I mean even McGree is a different player from last year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

They will practice penalties just like other set pieces. I would guess he was the best in practice. But as a good coach will tell you, taking a penalty in practice where there is no pressure is completely different from taking one under pressure in a match where you must score. 

Dario was going to take it, McGree came over and said he wanted it and convinced Dario to hand it over.

It's grim, we're having a season where we are seriously below par. But just for perspective, I thought through where the fans of the other teams are right now.  I reckon fans of Wellington and Perth will be the happiest - their teams have wildly exceeded expectations and recent form. I suspect that Victory, Sydney and Adelaide fans are pretty meh - they're about where they expected to be, and they have some reason to be optimistic. We're with the fans of clubs who have been seriously underwhelmed - WSW and Brisbane fans will be at least as gutted as us, if not way worse - given where they have been in years past, and even their expectations coming into this season, their teams are on the floor. Newcastle fans are probably pretty grim too - though after only one good season after years of being poor, I suspect they are pretty stoic. They will have expected better this season though.  And CCM fans won't have expected much, but they have even under-achieved on that. So I reckon half the league are at least as miserable as us, and some probably far grimmer.  I don't know whether that makes anyone feel remotely better. At least we've got a couple of new signings... Always look on the bright side of death.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dconder13 said:

Dario was going to take it, McGree came over and said he wanted it and convinced Dario to hand it over.

I think that illustrates my point. These sorts of things should be sorted before the match, and decisions adhered to. In a salary-capped league there is not a lot between the teams - and seemingly little things like this are where the differences are.

32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It's grim, we're having a season where we are seriously below par. But just for perspective, I thought through where the fans of the other teams are right now.  I reckon fans of Wellington and Perth will be the happiest - their teams have wildly exceeded expectations and recent form. I suspect that Victory, Sydney and Adelaide fans are pretty meh - they're about where they expected to be, and they have some reason to be optimistic. We're with the fans of clubs who have been seriously underwhelmed - WSW and Brisbane fans will be at least as gutted as us, if not way worse - given where they have been in years past, and even their expectations coming into this season, their teams are on the floor. Newcastle fans are probably pretty grim too - though after only one good season after years of being poor, I suspect they are pretty stoic. They will have expected better this season though.  And CCM fans won't have expected much, but they have even under-achieved on that. So I reckon half the league are at least as miserable as us, and some probably far grimmer.  I don't know whether that makes anyone feel remotely better. At least we've got a couple of new signings... Always look on the bright side of death.

I love your optimism. But. 

For me you can't polish a turd.

38 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Our discomfort is always made worse by looking over the road at the Tards. WSW fans don't feel the same about Sydney - at least they're separated geographically.

Once you don't win anything or sneak into the ACL by the back door then it doesn't really matter where you are. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that the only way forward for us is up.

Such a shit game yesterday, but in all honesty, Sydney weren't much better. In actual fact, I thought they were terrible and coughed up the ball pretty much at the same rate we did.

Not saying we played well, it was actually one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. But it also sums up where we are at compared to them and that is when both teams are playing shit, they at least find a way to score and get the result. Something we struggle to do.

I keep crapping on about it, but I hope to see some sort of lift in the squad now with Maclaren and Harrison joining.

If we continue to meander along the same way we are now however, then surely it is the end of Joyce - because he has tinkered enough and turned the squad over enough times now to have found a winning and title contending team.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

My take on this is that I see every other team's manager putting the best players on the pitch to give the team the best chance of winning.

Can that be said about Wazza?

Can our Marque/Visa players not being played really give our team the best chance of winning?

Can there be an excuse for not playing high level, game changing players like Bruno, MOH and Budzinski for example when they have been purposely recruited?

I think the real reason supporters are totally deflated is that they can see real BIG mistakes being made by management year after year.

Not putting the best players on the pitch is unforgivable and is something that no other club does. Why? Because it is plain stupid to do so and directly affects the supporters faith in the club.

This is why we are where we are at right now.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rass said:

I for one, hope that we keep him forever in that case. 

The only time I see you post on here is when we lose. One line, kick the boots in shit - I haven't seen a positive post from you, nor anything when we win.

Look I know you're still pissed we're no longer a mini olympiakos in your eyes, but at some point you need to drop it.

I'm rapt you're taking a break.

Only positive this season was when we beat Victory at marvel stadium. My son and I celebrated till the end on that evening. Almost the last ones to leave. Apart from that the rest has been utter tripe. BANG. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Only positive this season was when we beat Victory at marvel stadium. My son and I celebrated till the end on that evening. Almost the last ones to leave. Apart from that the rest has been utter tripe. BANG. 

Well I'm actually rapt to hear you did. 

Look I have a real dip at you on here because I just can't handle the negativity to your posting. From what I see, it's just negative criticism after negative criticism. I actually started to feel like the only reason you jumped on here was to stick the boots in whenever you could, which is why I overreact the way I do. And i think it's pretty obvious that I'm one of the first on here to bite when something dangles in front of me.

Anyway, you support the team how you want - it really shouldn't be my business. :up:

I feel far worse now than when we had that bad run under John Aloisi.

We play with absolutely no freedom or flair this season. Not a single player has any excitement factor on display. Last season we did see that from Arzani, but this season...we are so boring to watch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I feel far worse now than when we had that bad run under John Aloisi.

We play with absolutely no freedom or flair this season. Not a single player has any excitement factor on display. Last season we did see that from Arzani, but this season...we are so boring to watch.

It's almost like Arzani was paper over the cracks last season, the kid saved us on several occasions.

19 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

I have a strange feeling we'll slip away from the top 6 with Welly catching up and potentially Newy..either way we don't deserve to be in the top 6 

I hope we do drop to sixth or lower. Might give CFG a kick up the arse.

Pierias was good ... should get some more game time after his showing ...

Fuck you Redders you turd!!!  He couldnt save a penalty taken with a blown up beach ball kicked by a goat when he was with us ... and that save with his foot was ridiculous ... Bacchus needs to be benched after that horrible pass that cost us a goal ... unforgivable   

• Like 2