Melbourne Football

Welcome Kearyn Baccus

playmaker

• 2 weeks later...

I was sceptical when we signed Baccus but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his performances. He is very tidy on the ball and can deliver decent passes. He also mops up quite a bit.  

However, he really needs to work on shooting. Clearly lacks confidence in his ability and sometimes needs to go against his instinct to find a pass. 

Just fucking hammer it son. 

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I was sceptical when we signed Baccus but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his performances. He is very tidy on the ball and can deliver decent passes. He also mops up quite a bit.  

However, he really needs to work on shooting. Clearly lacks confidence in his ability and sometimes needs to go against his instinct to find a pass. 

Just fucking hammer it son. 

Also stop trying to beat "just one more player" and then losing the ball. Sorry, but I though he was total shit last night, quite apart from the several opportunities he had to have a crack at the goal. His passes were slow and predictable. Add that twerp Griffiths and a pedestrian Brattan - Castro was better than the three of them put together.

Edited by jw1739

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Also stop trying to beat "just one more player" and then losing the ball. Sorry, but I though he was total shit last night, quite apart from the several opportunities he had to have a crack at the goal. His passes were slow and predictable. Add that twerp Griffiths and a pedestrian Brattan - Castro was better than the three of them put together.

He almost scored a ripper on the half volley against Victory I think. Never scored in the league though. 

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Synopsis is that he has been decent this season, but lastnight was poor. Gave away some poor balls, and did not put in the amount of running and passes he usually does. I am sure Griffiths playing had a part in this - but seems to operate best when given the task of lone DM.

Also probably fatigue as many of them looked... 

Edited by JMSTEP123

6 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

His main job last night was to mark Castro, and for the most part he did that well. It was an important job given Castro has in the past torn us apart.

I usually sit on the wing, but with family and frienda lastnight I was in GA for once. Whilst you have a decent view, I lost my depth perception. Tbh I found it hard seeing who was on the ball unless it was in my 3rd. Honestly, you saying he marked Castro surprises me, but knowing the relatively quieter night he had, it does not surprise me that Baccus may have pulled a better shift than I gave him credit for.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Did relatively well. That moment when he had a chance to shoot was defended very well. Don't know who the Perth player was but they kept closing off any chance he had to shoot, hence why he kept taking the ball wider.

In both cases the time to have a crack was the first opportunity. Reddy is not the best keeper in the League, and there's always the chance of a deflection. Taking the ball wider just makes the chance of a goal lower.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

In both cases the time to have a crack was the first opportunity. Reddy is not the best keeper in the League, and there's always the chance of a deflection. Taking the ball wider just makes the chance of a goal lower.

I agree with that. But if you've ever played and been closed down by a defender where you can't take a shot it's difficult.

1 hour ago, moops said:

Baccus is fine, he's a young defensive midfielder still learning his trade and doing pretty well overall, it's probably the first time he has been that high up the pitch, no wonder he didn't know what to do or lacked confidence having a shot.

He's 27...

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

True, but this guys form has dropped dramatically. Hopefully he gets benched and has to earn his was back into the starting lineup. 

Highly agree that everyone needs to earn their spot on the park, but you may aswell bench the lot of them and play the yoof team. 

It's as clean as day that everyone's morale is severely deflated. Welcome to Wazzas culture change 🙄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Highly agree that everyone needs to earn their spot on the park, but you may aswell bench the lot of them and play the yoof team. 

It's as clean as day that everyone's morale is severely deflated. Welcome to Wazzas culture change 🙄

I'll ask how many of ours would be a guaranteed starter for another A-League club. I'll nominated  De Laet, Schenkeveld, Maclaren, Fornaroli and probably Delbridge, Good and Brattan.

This is the question you need to ask before you say "We have a good squad on paper." 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll ask how many of ours would be a guaranteed starter for another A-League club. I'll nominated  De Laet, Schenkeveld, Maclaren, Fornaroli and probably Delbridge, Good and Brattan.

This is the question you need to ask before you say "We have a good squad on paper." 

With a limited talent pool for the Aussie spots (which will be further weakened with the introduction of the expansion teams) everyone is in the same boat!!

So my question to you is what will a good squad on paper look like over the next few years? 🤔 

Do you compensate by adding an extra visa spot? 

How many overseas Aussies are willing to come home? 

Does the NPL come heavily into play? 

Are the yoof players ready to step up in a sink or swim style experiment?

Will the lack of a 2nd tier hinder players progression?? 

So many unanswered questions!!!! 

Edited by AntiScum

6 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

With a limited talent pool for the Aussie spots (which will be further weakened with the introduction of the expansion teams) everyone is in the same boat!!

So my question to you is what will a good squad on paper look like over the next few years? 🤔 

If the rules are the same as now, I go for:

Two top-class foreign visa players, midfielder (AM) and forward (ST).
The remaining three visa places good quality players - DM, CB, GK.
The bulk of the salary cap focussed on the best 13 players (other than the marquees of course).
So you have 15 players with the remainder of the squad from the club's youth program.

Of course you also need a good Manager and stable coaching team.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The bulk of the salary cap focussed on the best 13 players (other than the marquees of course).
So you have 15 players with the remainder of the squad from the club's youth program.

So you have 2 new teams coming in, you have 3-4 (barely acceptable) players leave from each club. It's going to be hideous to watch 🙈 if the standards are low now it's only going to get worse 🤢

7 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

So you have 2 new teams coming in, you have 3-4 (barely acceptable) players leave from each club. It's going to be hideous to watch 🙈 if the standards are low now it's only going to get worse 🤢

Oh, I think that's over-dramatising the situation. Just because City are so dreary now doesn't mean that all the other clubs are, or will be. Or that we have to be that way permanently.

We've gone backwards under Joyce; other clubs have moved forwards.

• Like 1

I think he is a little confused on his role, when he had Griffiths next to him he would be the one who would pick up the ball from deep and play passes out. Now Brattan is doing that role and he seems to be higher up the pitch 

I still think he is our best number 6 we have, but he isnt playing to the standard he was 10 weeks ago 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, I think that's over-dramatising the situation. Just because City are so dreary now doesn't mean that all the other clubs are, or will be. Or that we have to be that way permanently.

We've gone backwards under Joyce; other clubs have moved forwards.

You don't think the standards are extremely poor across the league with the exception of Victory and Perth to an extent? 🤔 

4 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Seems more of a case of the manager not getting the best out of his players and not playing to their strengths. 

That's what happens when you sign 14 defenders and a few midfielders 🙄

22 minutes ago, neio said:

I think he is a little confused on his role, when he had Griffiths next to him he would be the one who would pick up the ball from deep and play passes out. Now Brattan is doing that role and he seems to be higher up the pitch 

I still think he is our best number 6 we have, but he isnt playing to the standard he was 10 weeks ago 

Got some spare time to coach the team? 🤔 😂 

25 minutes ago, neio said:

And he's only got one foot and is predictable. Nine time out of ten he'll pass sideways or near sideways towards the left hand side of the field. Mind you, he's not alone in being predictable.

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

Because that's the way his instructed to play to attack down the left. 

Which is why his passes are now being picked off. Opposition coaches are not dumb. They know exactly how we're going to play, adjust their tactics accordingly, and hey presto, here's that familiar end-of-season City slump.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Which is why his passes are now being picked off. Opposition coaches are not dumb. They know exactly how we're going to play, adjust their tactics accordingly, and hey presto, here's that familiar end-of-season City slump.

Isn't that coaches job to be able to change up tactics not to get picked off? 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

That’s untrue, no such instuctions given. Baccus plays more to the left because he is a right footed player and that’s how he opens up his body. 

Oki doki 

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

When I look at PG, Popovic has done wonders with basically the same squad. Kilkenny was shoved aside by Joyce and who looks better every week?

Arnold at CCM did an excellent job. The real issue can we find decent enough coaches?