Melbourne Football

Melbourne Derby: The XXIII Instalment......4th February 2017

n i k o

2 hours ago, Jestr said:

Called ref a cheat and told him to fuck off. 

how do you know? all i heard after the red was "look at this, look at this fuckin comedy act here"

also would love to know what bouza screamed at MvS

Edited by jeffplz

6 hours ago, jeffplz said:

how do you know? all i heard after the red was "look at this, look at this fuckin comedy act here"

also would love to know what bouza screamed at MvS

Bouzanis venting over the one sided shit performance of Beath no doubt.

Interesting to see Valkanis was about to go over to Muscrat to shake hands I guess but then said out loud "fuck it!", turned around and headed for the dressing room :up:

I would like somebody to look into the fact that the replays on the stadium big screen was being used by the fourth official and opposite linesman to overrule the offside goal. The clearly informed him in his ear.

Maybe then they could have had another look at Bruno's header as he seemed onside with his feet (playing part of the body).

I didn't mind the lineup and formation, with this setup you will most games.

8 minutes ago, haz said:

Being a referee (with state level qualifications) I would say the offside was benefit of the doubt. Was Berisha in a offside position? Yes. Was he involved in play? Yes. Was he between the ball and the defender (Muscat)? No.  If the linesman gave it offside, Beath should agree with that decision without having to look at the big screen. If the linesman didn't put his flag up then the same goes, Beath should agree without having to look at the big screen.

BUT.  We should not be complaining about the offside. If we can't hold a lead for the last 15 minutes then whats the point of even turning up to play? Thats the real problem, not the refs.

Agreed. And people are forgetting that these decisions sometimes go one way, sometimes the other. In recent derbies - Finkler's free-kick clearly crossed the line but the goal wasn't given, and in the first league derby this season Cahill was in an off-side position when Brattan scored and was IMO interfering with play.

We've scored first in 15 out of 18 league matches this season if I've got the arithmetic correct. We knew we had an inadequate defence last season and did little to remedy it this season. Also add Cahill. We also play a high-press game that is bloody hard to play and last the distance in an Australian summer. Off the field there are also visible signs of poor management, so all-in-all IMO our disintegrating season is self-inflicted.

• Like 3

I was having a discussion last night about our defence and comparing it to last year's Wilko, Kisnorbo, Sorensen combination and we were a bit unclear. It came up that Sorensen's experience and direction in defence was a major contribution to better defensive organisation, what do you guys think?

17 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Surely he can say he was provoked by the gypsy throwing the ball at him.

Don't think there is a defence to a racist remark afaik.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I was having a discussion last night about our defence and comparing it to last year's Wilko, Kisnorbo, Sorensen combination and we were a bit unclear. It came up that Sorensen's experience and direction in defence was a major contribution to better defensive organisation, what do you guys think?

Undoubtedly Sorensen is commanding of his area, but Wilko was a huge factor. Big mistake letting him go.

52 minutes ago, haz said:

Being a referee (with state level qualifications) I would say the offside was benefit of the doubt. Was Berisha in a offside position? Yes. Was he involved in play? Yes. Was he between the ball and the defender (Muscat)? No.  If the linesman gave it offside, Beath should agree with that decision without having to look at the big screen. If the linesman didn't put his flag up then the same goes, Beath should agree without having to look at the big screen.

BUT.  We should not be complaining about the offside. If we can't hold a lead for the last 15 minutes then whats the point of even turning up to play? Thats the real problem, not the refs.

If there was a ladder based on goals scored/conceded in the final 10 minutes of the game we would be dead last having only scored once and conceded half our goals conceded during that time period

• Like 2

If you can't win a second half or at worst draw you wont win many games.

To cop 2 goals in the last 6 minutes is a pure sign of mental fragility and lack of composure and concentration. 

So much for our so called new steely resolve. Failed badly last night.

Had time to sleep on it but sorry, still extremely pissed at what happened last night. Yeah ok, we coughed up a lead again.

...but seriously wtf was that game? Referees need to react objectively on every play, not be swayed by a roaring crowd or be intimidated by a demented bully coach. 

We talk about swings and roundabouts blah blah blah, but last night was a farce. Geria? Moulded by Muscat to be a pig. Should have been sent off within the first 30mins yet was not even spoken to? Seriously? Ansell, the same. 

Oh and if you're going to react on reputations and not pay fouls to Bruno or Brandan, then be consistent and don't pay them to fbk who is far and beyond a bigger culprit. 

Offside? Bahahaha what does that mean exactly? So Geria trying to cut back to Berisha, making Bouzanis shift his body weight towards him, means that Berisha isn't part of the play? Huh? How he could not be interfering? But that cnt lives offside and that's ok.

Fuk I'm rambling now as im still so angry. Absolute farce.

I don't disagree with the idea of playing the whistle and poor calls going both ways at different times. The standard of A-league reffering is becoming more and more laughable. The Berisha own goal incident is laughable in that it shows a real shortcoming in the rule or application of it, no way this should have stood. The Geria headbutt on Brandan in the first half is a foul and possibly a card anywhere else on the field (on any other player). The ball was gone and Geria just went to smash him. The repetitious fouling of Fornaroli without cards being produced. As for Bouzanis probably one of his better games with the pen save and but why get racial? Berisha is a cunt just call him that.

Honestly I don't think we were that bad last night and if not for some shit luck would have at least drawn.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Honestly I don't think we were that bad last night and if not for some shit luck would have at least drawn.

But we can't rely on luck to pull us through. We are so consistent with coughing up points. Indeed this is our worst-ever season in doing so. It's a systemic problem in the way the club is managed, because changing the personnel doesn't seem to make any positive difference. It's the same with off-field issues such as City Voice, Citizens, Member-get-Member - a systemic management problem.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But we can't rely on luck to pull us through. We are so consistent with coughing up points. Indeed this is our worst-ever season in doing so. It's a systemic problem in the way the club is managed, because changing the personnel doesn't seem to make any positive difference. It's the same with off-field issues such as City Voice, Citizens, Member-get-Member - a systemic management problem.

Its something that's going to hurt us much more this season as we really struggle to score more than 1 goal. Last season we could afford to cough up a last minute goal as we regularly scored 2 or more

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Actually I'd argue the whole sport is a game of luck. The idea being that you give yourself the most high percentage opportunities you can. At the moment I agree that we have systemic issues but I disagree that personal don't make a difference. When we have a proper replacement for JVS next year I have no doubt it will make a difference. Last night for mine though we weren't half as diabolical at the back as previously. Even though we copped 2 in a minute or so. Also worth noting that we have conceded way less goals with Jacobsen on the pitch than any other centre back. 

2 hours ago, haz said:

Compounded by the fact that the players and coaches tend to look for excuses, rather than focusing on the real problem.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. And people are forgetting that these decisions sometimes go one way, sometimes the other. In recent derbies - Finkler's free-kick clearly crossed the line but the goal wasn't given, and in the first league derby this season Cahill was in an off-side position when Brattan scored and was IMO interfering with play.

We've scored first in 15 out of 18 league matches this season if I've got the arithmetic correct. We knew we had an inadequate defence last season and did little to remedy it this season. Also add Cahill. We also play a high-press game that is bloody hard to play and last the distance in an Australian summer. Off the field there are also visible signs of poor management, so all-in-all IMO our disintegrating season is self-inflicted.

Yeah but in this instance the stadium replays clearly influenced this call - the replays on the screens were completely one sided, as our offside goal wasn't shown. You either cover them all or don't show them, surely there are rules regarding this and it just can't be up to the hosting team?

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Because the club wanted to play this stupid three at the back they didn't see the need to keep Wilkinson. Imagine if we had Wilkinson and Jakobsen playing in central defence my god you might as well give us the trophy at the start of the season. 

The only reason Wilkinson's at Sydney is because he wanted to go, isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it hard to believe that he would have been keen to stay but we just said "Nah, we don't need you. Catch ya, mate." Even for this club, that doesn't make much sense

9 minutes ago, SF33 said:

The only reason Wilkinson's at Sydney is because he wanted to go, isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it hard to believe that he would have been keen to stay but we just said "Nah, we don't need you. Catch ya, mate." Even for this club, that doesn't make much sense

I heard he wanted more money. 

34 minutes ago, SF33 said:

When he moved back to Australia from Korea his wife and kids returned to Sydney. He agreed to sign for us for a few months but was always going to return to Sydney after last season concluded

• Like 2

Last night we didn't register a shot on target until the 58th minute. Kilkenny's deflected goal was the only goal we have scored from open play in the last 3 matches. These 2 stats are damning. A lot is said on this forum about our rubbish defence (and rightly so) but our attack is at least as bad.

Also, we only have 2 wins this season against teams currently in the top 6 (Victory and Newcastle).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Don't think there is a defence to a racist remark afaik.

This is a goalkeeper's role and undoubtedly Sorensen's strength. Not so with Bouzanis.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Because the club wanted to play this stupid three at the back they didn't see the need to keep Wilkinson. Imagine if we had Wilkinson and Jakobsen playing in central defence my god you might as well give us the trophy at the start of the season. 

You mean rubbish three at the back like the top two sides in England?

25 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

You mean rubbish three at the back like the top two sides in England?

With far superior technical skill, far superior CBs and far superior technical and tactical  coaches than we have, which is required for that formation with the tactics we play to succeed.

Can't compare the 2 competitions as they are light years apart 

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1