Melbourne Football

Sunday April 28th vs Nomad FC. 5:00pm KO

27th: Brisbane vs. Adelaide
28th: Newcastle vs. Central Coast
          Wellington vs. Macarthur
          Victory vs. WSW
29th: Sydney vs. Perth
          City vs Western

Pretty sure Sydney will beat Perth. However, should WSW topple Victory we need to win to retain 6th place, because a draw won't be sufficient even though we have a superior goal difference as WSW will have 11 wins to our 10.

WSW play first (which in my view should not happen for the final round of a season) which means we will know what we have to do.

This will be a difficult match for us. We've struggled against anti-football sides like this: struggling to break them down and defend playing our high line. OTOH, we've won our last two games, the only two games, not coincidentally when we've fielded our strongest starting 11 all season. This is one game where I'd start Caputo over JMac, and I'd keep Ugarkovic at RB despite Talbot's return; Ugarkovic is a far more effective contributor as RB than he is as a pivot, and we look far more fluid in attack with one pivot rather than two

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

27th: Brisbane vs. Adelaide
28th: Newcastle vs. Central Coast
          Wellington vs. Macarthur
          Victory vs. WSW
29th: Sydney vs. Perth
          City vs Western

Pretty sure Sydney will beat Perth. However, should WSW topple Victory we need to win to retain 6th place, because a draw won't be sufficient even though we have a superior goal difference as WSW will have 11 wins to our 10.

WSW play first (which in my view should not happen for the final round of a season) which means we will know what we have to do.

Oh yeah the odd change against the global standard rules of making wins more important than goal difference. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Oh yeah the odd change against the global standard rules of making wins more important than goal difference. 

TBH I think it's pathetic. Just being different for the sake of it. Adds absolutely nothing whatsoever to the game. Just dickheads at the administration level.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2024 at 2:32 PM, belaguttman said:

This will be a difficult match for us. We've struggled against anti-football sides like this: struggling to break them down and defend playing our high line. OTOH, we've won our last two games, the only two games, not coincidentally when we've fielded our strongest starting 11 all season. This is one game where I'd start Caputo over JMac, and I'd keep Ugarkovic at RB despite Talbot's return; Ugarkovic is a far more effective contributor as RB than he is as a pivot, and we look far more fluid in attack with one pivot rather than two

100% agree. All season we have been better when Ugarkovic isn't in midfield and Talbot isn't at right back

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Have to win due to wins>goal difference according to the commentator tonight so a draw wouldn’t be enough. 

It's the ultimate of tests then.

On paper we should really belt these cunts.

However, with the season we've had, I would fully expect us to drop this game. At least we are in of control our own destiny

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cremorne said:

I zoned out when Victory were leading 2 nil. What happened?

You missed a cracker of a game then.

as to having to win I’m not fussed. if we can’t win this game we probably don’t deserve finals anyway, plus if we did win we’d be going into the finals with serious momentum.

Bring it on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The first match against WU drew 10,089. Apart from the MV derby we haven't come close since.

The club has drifted all season. Needs a real lift or the drift will continue, and that's why IMO it's better in the longer-term to refresh the squad and the coaching staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The first match against WU drew 10,089. Apart from the MV derby we haven't come close since.

The club has drifted all season. Needs a real lift or the drift will continue, and that's why IMO it's better in the longer-term to refresh the squad and the coaching staff.

The disconnect of fans and club runs longer and deeper than just the squad and the coach. The club seems to be content with it at least on face value, the fans left over perhaps not. Starting from the top, I'm afraid that a big part of our fans might not even know who Brad Rowse is. IMO, he conducts himself as a corporate CEO rather than a head of local sports club. A letter here or there not written but just signed by him and he pops up in the corporate videos once in while.

• Like 2

I’d love to see this as a win for us, but:

drawing this game would get us 6th spot in any other season but this one, it would be such a City/Heart thing to miss out because of the rule change

we have a poor history in ‘crunch matches’ that we ‘must win’.

Edited by belaguttman