Melbourne Football

City vs Newcastle Jets, Saturday 30 March 2024, ko 5.30pm

Le Hack

Heading off to this one with my son as for a change he hasn't got a shift. Win this and it will tell us where we are at, hopefully 5th if Sydney lose against Mariners and Mac beat WSW both good chances of happening.  After a couple of weeks, will Vidmar play Caputo from the start or revert to Jmac? Will Reis an Soup partner as CBs or will he bring back Good? Are any of our injuries back yet? Some interesting questions here

• Like 3

Should amalgamate with Central Coast.

League can only survive on fewer but bigger clubs. 12 clubs, Australia only, four rounds. Ditch "finals." With League, League Cup, FFA Cup, AFC competitions that's enough for proper competitive football. We're just wasting money on administration and diluting our talent pool.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Should amalgamate with Central Coast.

League can only survive on fewer but bigger clubs. 12 clubs, Australia only, four rounds. Ditch "finals." With League, League Cup, FFA Cup, AFC competitions that's enough for proper competitive football. We're just wasting money on administration and diluting our talent pool.

I don't agree Newcastle will rather die then merge with mariners they have a proper rivalry.

The league can do 14 teams possibly more there is talent there in the npl and around the world we have a huge talent pool we're not like afl or rugby in that way. We just don't have a good admin and everyone else is just coasting through no ambition which I guess you can't blame them all the stuff ups were gone through 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, citypool said:

I don't agree Newcastle will rather die then merge with mariners they have a proper rivalry.

The league can do 14 teams possibly more there is talent there in the npl and around the world we have a huge talent pool we're not like afl or rugby in that way. We just don't have a good admin and everyone else is just coasting through no ambition which I guess you can't blame them all the stuff ups were gone through 

Fair enough but I think a point you're missing is that there is just not enough spectator interest to have a bigger number of clubs, and the money is just not there from sponsorship and broadcasting interests. Have to cut the coat according to the cloth.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough but I think a point you're missing is that there is just not enough spectator interest to have a bigger number of clubs, and the money is just not there from sponsorship and broadcasting interests. Have to cut the coat according to the cloth.

Yeah that's true but the problem is we need our players playing more games so we do need more teams. I think they need to bite the bullet start their own streaming service or go on YouTube have full control of the product and try start the domestic transfer market so clubs can buy players but it's hard to do. 

33 minutes ago, citypool said:

Yeah that's true but the problem is we need our players playing more games so we do need more teams. I think they need to bite the bullet start their own streaming service or go on YouTube have full control of the product and try start the domestic transfer market so clubs can buy players but it's hard to do. 

They can play more games by having more rounds. As it is we have two and a bit which is uneven and unfair. We had three rounds the first season of Heart.
I don't know what stopped the introduction of the domestic transfer proposal. The PFA? Again, it's all down to top-heavy administration. Too many fingers in the pie and too many toes to not tread on.
All these things are possible. It's just that we stuff around at the administrative level squandering money right, left and centre. How many of the top suits at APL got the pink slip after the $140m waste debacle? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Slightly off topic but had to come on for a vent.. this league is just proving how dead in the ass it is and how the league clearly is against fans and active support..

There were a group of kids. Yes that's right kids probably 6-8 years of age throwing red, white and blue balloons around near the active. Security just came in and told them to stop. Took the balloons and popped them all whist the other 2 security guards stood there laughing. I swear there is an agenda to completely kill this league off. It has been dead for a few seasons now but seeing this tonight just made me go wow.. what has this league come too?? When they should be encouraging fans to come, especially kids to games and you get in trouble for having a couple of fucking balloons.. I went to my first ever NBL game a few weeks ago.. it was loud.. they were handing out hand clappers and continually encouraging the whole crowd to make noise and in particular when the other team had the ball. The atmosphere was incredible and it made me look around going "wow the NBL knows how to put on a show" meanwhile the league is on it's knees, has security guards litteraly patrolling all areas and if you dare let out a fart you'll be kicked out.. end of my rant but I'm just getting fed up to be honest!

Saw this. Security were utter arseholes. And the rest of them laughing while it happened. Those kids might not come again. It's these fuckwits who are killing the game. Adult that was with the kids was I think filming it all on his phone. Hopefully results in a complaint and a few sackings.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Natel has absolutely no business carrying on like this when he just spends the majority of the game offside stopping every opportunity.

Yeah he's come across as a goose, Ingham had him in his pocket all game.

The whole game is a bit frustrating for us though, almost in every situation, almost sums up the game so far.

I'm looking forward to next season and some personnel changes, a frustrating game to watch, even though overall there's improvement, there's zero cohesion at all.

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

Slightly off topic but had to come on for a vent.. this league is just proving how dead in the ass it is and how the league clearly is against fans and active support..

There were a group of kids. Yes that's right kids probably 6-8 years of age throwing red, white and blue balloons around near the active. Security just came in and...

I'm just getting fed up to be honest!

Football has been under attack in this country and certainly in Vic for the last 100 years. I mean it was a point of discussion in Vic parliament at one stage, because it threatened to be bigger than AFL.

• Thanks 3

One that got away. We had enough chances to win that game but couldn’t finish.

One thing I noticed (same as last week) Jeggo sitting back and Ugarkovic playing further forward, which seemed to work. Second half we seemed to lack zing and the subs didn’t change it a whole lot.

16 hours ago, citypool said:

Where has vidmar gone? 

Just realised he wasn’t there. Very cryptic announcement from the club. We won 7-0 last outing, hardly sacking territory. Yet if it was a simple explanation like “ill” wouldn’t they just say? (Update-club also put out an ill post but I missed that one. Mystery solved)

Edited by D.B. Cooper

Awful game to watch. You certainly need a sense of humour to watch City games. Ugarkovic missed two guilt-edges chances, and Arslan three. Natel and Jakolis can't cross the ball, and so often they stop any forward momentum.. Jeggo is a weak player. A pointless substitution to replace Caputo with JMac - the latter is completely ineffective. Leckie didn't seem to make any difference. Even Antonis didn't seem to have any fire in him at all.

One thing I noticed was how often we played so many back and sideways passes that by the time we made a forward pass every single Newcastle player was behind the ball. Don't we analyse games and learn from them?

In the end it was really only a good save from Young that stopped Newcastle stealing the points.

Couple of other things - do we have ballboys anymore? And what a hash the league is making with VAR. Nothing on the screen. Is there actually a Video Assisted Referee at the game?

I don't know what's wrong at the club. But I don't resile from the view that there's something. Didn't see the incident with kids and balloons - sounds typical APL. How to kill the A-League in three easy seasons.

Ho-hum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Awful game to watch. You certainly need a sense of humour to watch City games. Ugarkovic missed two guilt-edges chances, and Arslan three. Natel and Jakolis can't cross the ball, and so often they stop any forward momentum.. Jeggo is a weak player. A pointless substitution to replace Caputo with JMac - the latter is completely ineffective. Leckie didn't seem to make any difference. Even Antonis didn't seem to have any fire in him at all.

One thing I noticed was how often we played so many back and sideways passes that by the time we made a forward pass every single Newcastle player was behind the ball. Don't we analyse games and learn from them?

In the end it was really only a good save from Young that stopped Newcastle stealing the points.

Couple of other things - do we have ballboys anymore? And what a hash the league is making with VAR. Nothing on the screen. Is there actually a Video Assisted Referee at the game?

I don't know what's wrong at the club. But I don't resile from the view that there's something. Didn't see the incident with kids and balloons - sounds typical APL. How to kill the A-League in three easy seasons.

Ho-hum.

Balloons was towards the front of Bay 16. In front of me. Seemed to sum up everything that is wrong with the grim, joyless A League at the moment.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Balloons was towards the front of Bay 16. In front of me. Seemed to sum up everything that is wrong with the grim, joyless A League at the moment.

I was sitting in Bay 20 for the first half and went up to join the Gang towards the top of Section 19 for the second. I wasn't feeling that generous to either club or League when I got home, and then reading your post just made me feel ill.

A mate reminded me this week that "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!" but boy oh boy those days of anticipation, joy, and excitement of a few seasons ago seem a long way away now.

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

If anyone on here is a member of FSSA https://fsaaus.com/ and witnessed this event I would suggest that you let them know. I am a member but didn't witness it I'm afraid.

FSSA in in contact with APL on a regular basis.

Newcastle 100% parked the bus and only really tried to score from free kicks  They were setup based on countering how we played against WSW, which meant they were ready for our more speedy attacks through midfield 

We pretty much bossed them but just couldn't score ... it does happen, and was very frustrating 

Was there a pen on Natel? No replays at the stadium 

That ref is really, really bad and certainly didn't help our effort to build sustained attacking pressure. I believe he was the one who booked Arslan. He is amateur

I don't think the stadium was expecting the crowd we got.  Limited food areas open, and they quickly sold out of the staples. Poor planning based on the dinner timing of the match

• Like 1

There goes our finals chance, and, really, we don't deserve it. That game really encapsulates our season: sterile possession; struggled to break down deep sitting organised defences.

We are still to play our first choice starting XI this season, so injuries have also been a factor.

The most important off-season task is to find a good Le Patron-level coach for next season

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Ho-hum.

Is DM Jeggo’s natural position? Such timid player for that role, gets second to the ball often or is outmuscled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I was sitting in Bay 20 for the first half and went up to join the Gang towards the top of Section 19 for the second. I wasn't feeling that generous to either club or League when I got home, and then reading your post just made me feel ill.

A mate reminded me this week that "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!" but boy oh boy those days of anticipation, joy, and excitement of a few seasons ago seem a long way away now.

I notice the balloon incident was discussed in the Talking City game summary as one of their three talking points. I hope this one isn't going away without an almighty fuss.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Was there a pen on Natel? No replays at the stadium 

That ref is really, really bad and certainly didn't help our effort to build sustained attacking pressure. I believe he was the one who booked Arslan. He is amateur

Nah, he clearly got the ball. It should have been a 1 look and play on situation, I have no idea why they needed 5 different angles.

The ref was the one we had in the 1st game against Perth, he sent off Talbot and then it got VAR checked and he had 4 VAR interventions in about 15 minutes. He is average 

• Like 2