Melbourne Football

We signed a Chilean guy - Vicente Fernandez

kingofhearts

• jw1739 changed the title to We signed a Chilean guy - Vicente Fernandez
16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Finally we can tap into the 8000 Chileans here.  If we could get half of them we'd double our current attendance. :wormy:

Melbourne has the largest population of Chilean born/1st generation in Australia. We just blend right in.

Travelling through the Pilbara in WA back in the 90s and coming across families that were Chilean descent was surprising and only found out by accident. Also in SA there is a train station named in honour of a Chilen engineer who migrated early last century.

8000 Bollocks.

18 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Melbourne has the largest population of Chilean born/1st generation in Australia. We just blend right in.

Travelling through the Pilbara in WA back in the 90s and coming across families that were Chilean descent was surprising and only found out by accident. Also in SA there is a train station named in honour of a Chilen engineer who migrated early last century.

8000 Bollocks.

8000 Chilean born people in Melbourne. Apparently. I personally don't know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought he was fine, don't think we have unearthed Alphonse Davies but also don't think we're back to having Iain Ramsay as LB.

May as well play him now and see what level he is to see if he worth persisting with after the 6 months contract is up 

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You could see in his first involvement hes not used to players running with such intensity. Different to any league hes played in. Will take him some time to adjust. 

Here https://www.teamform.com/en/league-ranking/world you will see that the Chilean Primera is rated lower than Ligue 2 in France but higher that the A-League. He ought to be competent at our level once he acclimatises.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the Chilean bloke?

Looked pretty handy against Sydney!

Looked NPL level in the derby, but was much better against Sydney. 

I reckon he'll only keep getting better. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, neio said:

Thought he did well, Lolley is as good as any winger in the league and he kept him relatively under control for most of the night

Yeah, he looks neat on the ball, but he looks pretty good defensively as well, he looks a great find and hopefully will sign for next season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moops said:

Yeah, he looks neat on the ball, but he looks pretty good defensively as well, he looks a great find and hopefully will sign for next season.

Yeah he was too quick and clever for Lolley who then tried to outmuscle him. But despite being fairly diminutive he held his own. Looks to be a find

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cremorne said:

OK, I was wrong, he's better than Scott Galloway.

Galloway's natural position is right back. But that spot is glued to Talbot regardless of performance. Fernandez is a natural left back. Trying to turn Galloway into a left back at this stage of his career indicates how glued Talbot is to the position.

• Like 1

Even when he came on against Victory I thought he done well for someone who just arrived, was jetlagged and thrown into a derby unplanned but has gone from strength to strength hopefully keep him around for another year but guess depends on Aziz