Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

3 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

That, is exactly why i have dumped my membership, boring boring football, like watching paint dry.

If I had a dollar every time you said that I'd be a rich man. I feel the same my friend, but I won't be leaving this club. No spastic like Aloisi or no hard nosed old mate Wazza will make me dump my membership. Hopefully, in my lifetime Melbourne City will pack out AAMI park. I won't give up hope that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

So I found that the club has a decent image of Joyce with the background remove. Anyone who is decent at photo edititing could have some fun with this.....

Warren Joyce.png

We have become the damned united.

This bloke has come from Manchester United and worked his way into CFG for the sole purpose of destroying the entire organization. It has taken a bit longer than 44 days but nevertheless he is on the brink of success. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

We have become the damned united.

This bloke has come from Manchester United and worked his way into CFG for the sole purpose of destroying the entire organization. It has taken a bit longer than 44 days but nevertheless he is on the brink of success. 

Look I like the Cultural Reference...

But his efforts are futile in regards to causing any damage to what the CFG care about, his basically just kicked over a bin or and maybe at best used a Permanent Marker to write  "United Treble 99" or "Giggsy, Becks and Sharpey Forever" on the Outer wall of the CFG Castle. A Castle which is surrounded by another additional two walls before you get to something/someone that matters.

• Like 2

I know this is more a language translation thing more than anything, but it has come to my attention increasingly that when Joyce fronts the media his consistent use of "you want..." makes him sound impartial and indifferent to anything over and above his command of the squad.

For example - he says "I look for.... qualities in training and pick a squad based on merit."

But when it comes to post game analysis or press conferences or fronting the media it is "you're looking for". "You are looking for fans to enjoy the game"; "You are trying to build up the fanbase and get passionate fans belieiving"; "You want people to support the club"; "You are looking etc. 

It almost disolves responsibility. How much more pertinent it would be if he said (and his actions were) "I am looking to build the fanbase." "I am looking to create entertaining football" etc. In the way he says it matter of factly (i.e it is obvious that) it seems he is indifferent to the outcome and absolves his desire to make it happen almost as if they it is out of his control. 

He knows what to say to please. But what he says and what he does seem polar opposites 

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I know this is more a language translation thing more than anything, but it has come to my attention increasingly that when Joyce fronts the media his consistent use of "you want..." makes him sound impartial and indifferent to anything over and above his command of the squad.

For example - he says "I look for.... qualities in training and pick a squad based on merit."

But when it comes to post game analysis or press conferences or fronting the media it is "you're looking for". "You are looking for fans to enjoy the game"; "You are trying to build up the fanbase and get passionate fans belieiving"; "You want people to support the club"; "You are looking etc. 

It almost disolves responsibility. How much more pertinent it would be if he said (and his actions were) "I am looking to build the fanbase." "I am looking to create entertaining football" etc. In the way he says it matter of fact (i.e it is obvious that) but states what he seems indifferent to or absolves his desire to almost as if they are out of his control. 

He knows what to say to please. But what he says and what he does seem polar opposites 

Well said. And he more often than not prefaces these comments with the word "obviously." Very definitely throwing the onus back to the listener.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Anyone hear the post game comments by Joyce- 

Given we share our ground with Melb Victory, one could argue we have had more away wins?

Wtf... did I hear wrong? What was the old chum on about.

It's a bit of a long bow, but a 'home' game against Victory is of course a neutral site at best for City, it's certainly not a home game like Perth or Wellington at AAMI is a home game (I wouldn't go as far as to call it an away game, as he did though, that's a bit much).

14 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It's a bit of a long bow, but a 'home' game against Victory is of course a neutral site at best for City, it's certainly not a home game like Perth or Wellington at AAMI is a home game (I wouldn't go as far as to call it an away game, as he did though, that's a bit much).

Yes it sure was a strange comment...

8 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Yes it sure was a strange comment...

He started to dribble with strange comments when questioned about Fornaroli as well as his eyes turned away. 

I’ve also noticed that he’s shouting to players by calling them by their surname - Atkinson rather than Nathaniel. This confirms his authoritarian management style. The only other workplace where they shout at you with surnames is the Army.

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He started to dribble with strange comments when questioned about Fornaroli as well as his eyes turned away.

To be fair, he's made his position pretty clear, he's not telling them anything more about it and they keep badgering him. He's clearly pissed off that they keep asking and they probably don't even want to ask him anymore (i.e. others are forcing the reporters to ask the question, they don't even expect to get anything constructive out of it).

Whatever you think about Joyce, he's been by far our most successful manager. We think back to how much fun the 2015/16 season was with Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo and Sorensen in goals, but at the end of the day, that side ended up a whole one point ahead of the 2017/18 side. The 2017/18 side also finished higher on the ladder and came far closer to a grand final appearance than we've ever been previously.

His league record is decent. We'd like it to be better, but compared to anything else we've ever had he's miles in front. If we win our next game, he'll have won 50% of his games. The winning percentage before him was 33.3%.

Right now, I'm more than willing to see how the rest of the season pans out. I think he deserves that much.

Edited by SF33

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve also noticed that he’s shouting to players by calling them by their surname - Atkinson rather than Nathaniel. This confirms his authoritarian management style. The only other workplace where they shout at you with surnames is the Army.

Walesy is a nick name imo 

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

6 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Commonly accepted Australian nicknames isn’t the same as referring to your co-workers by their surname. I always find that a little disrespect if you work with somebody everyday, a friendly nickname or first name is more appropriate.

1 hour ago, SF33 said:

Whatever you think about Joyce.....

Right now, I'm more than willing to see how the rest of the season pans out. I think he deserves that much.

I think he’s a bit of a wanker and incompetent, had that opinion since last season based on tactics, team selection and sub use. The wanker part has been added this season based on recruitment and player management.

Secondly I agree let him finish the season so that we don’t have to pay him out. We will do more damage removing him now.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Doesn't he use both? He's certainly used "Bratts." IMO he probably reverts to surnames when he's issuing an order or instruction, and the first name or nickname when it's a less-specific comment (e.g. "keep pushing forward"). Also he's English, and informality doesn't always come easily to us.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Doesn't he use both? He's certainly used "Bratts." IMO he probably reverts to surnames when he's issuing an order or instruction, and the first name or nickname when it's a less-specific comment (e.g. "keep pushing forward"). Also he's English, and informality doesn't always come easily to us.

Brats is a nickname too, barking Atkinson to Nathaniel is not...but you are right...it’s mainly to get instructions across.

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I think he’s a bit of a wanker and incompetent, had that opinion since last season based on tactics, team selection and sub use. The wanker part has been added this season based on recruitment and player management.

Secondly I agree let him finish the season so that we don’t have to pay him out. We will do more damage removing him now.

Unless we were a Central Coast level basket case, I think that's the sensible approach, whatever people's opinion of him.

I don't think there'd be a supporter around who'd argue that at the time we were looking for a new coach, we needed a significant culture reboot at this club and that just doesn't happen in a season and a half. That Joyce has been relatively successful in that time gives him a pass mark for me. I'll qualify that by saying that he'd probably be a quick manager to lose the dressing room and be axed if and when our win rate drifted back around 33%.

Someone said his contract is up at the end of the season. If we are keeping our most successful manager surely they would have renewed his contract by now. Or is the norm to let it almost run out before giving him a new one

Edited by Inchcolm

7 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Someone said his contract is up at the end of the season. If we are keeping our most successful manager surely they would have renewed his contract by now. Or is the norm to let it almost run out before giving him a new one

Hard to say with CFG. They first appointed JVS who finished his contract early to return to the Netherlands to care for his dying father and Valkanis became the interim manager. They then appointed Joyce. As for other clubs they usually keep it under wraps but normally they get the contract extension mid-way through their final season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Hard to say with CFG. They first appointed JVS who finished his contract early to return to the Netherlands to care for his dying father and Valkanis became the interim manager. They then appointed Joyce. As for other clubs they usually keep it under wraps but normally they get the contract extension mid-way through their final season.

IMO it's too early. In the past we have been at the half-way mark by New Year, but the later start and the international break mean that's not the case this year - most teams are just over one-third of the way though their matches.

On 02/01/2019 at 8:09 AM, SF33 said:

Whatever you think about Joyce, he's been by far our most successful manager.

No, he hasn't brought us any silverware and no ACL spot. So at this stage he is a fail.

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

What counts mostly for the records in soccer are trophies, finals of knock out competition and ACL placements. JVS is our most successful coach. 

Exactly and the way he deals with senior players is atrocious.

Unforgivable what he has done to Bruno and the ripple effect it has on the players and supporters, and on this point alone he should be out.

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

No, he hasn't brought us any silverware and no ACL spot. So at this stage he is a fail.

Exactly and the way he deals with senior players is atrocious.

Unforgivable what he has done to Bruno and the ripple effect it has on the players and supporters, and on this point alone he should be out.

But he won't be. He's Marwood's hand-picked man.

40 minutes ago, playmaker said:

...and the ripple effect it has on the players and supporters, and on this point alone he should be out.

Please, please tell me what fkn ripple effect on the players?

They're probably playing their best football all season.

• Like 2

@rass In your opinion we may be probably playing better football but our results are worse without him.

With Bruno.................Played 4: won 2: draw 1: lost 1:

Without Bruno............Played 6: won 3: draw 1: lost 2:

Bruno in…................... win 50% draw 25% lost 25%

Bruno out................... win 50% draw 17% lost 33%

However people interrupt and present stats to suit there argument.

Bruno in goals per game 1.25

Bruno out goals per game 1.33 

So ladies and gents choose which stat suits your argument. We are loosing more games without him or we are scoring more goals per game without him.