Melbourne Football

ACL Matchday 4 | Buriram United VS Melbourne City | Wednesday 8 November 8PM AEST KO |

IssySG

15 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't think I've ever been more confused if a player is good or shit as I am with Jakolis

He has great technical skill but his decision making is shithouse.

If he has a better head on his shoulders he could make it at a higher level in Europe.

We lost all control of the game at the 60 minute mark when we made that double substitution.  Very, very disappointing. 

• Like 1

A hugely disappointing evening. We had five members of our Gang there, the most we've had at any match for quite a while. The two VAR decisions on offside took a long time to decide and must have been marginal at best. As for our own performance all I will say is could we please stop passing the fucking ball backwards at every possible opportunity.

• Sad 1

Some random observations:

- our usual failing, we failed to turn first half dominance into goals (we were unlucky to some extent) and then got pegged back as we faded in the second half

- we're very reliant on a small number of players to perform. There's not much depth and too few real game changers 

- I'm unconvinced by Natel. Honestly, is he a patch on Nabbout?

- I'll reserve judgement on the youngsters until I've seen more, but I'm not seeing the next Bos or Tilio amongst them, and we certainly don't seem to have an exciting attacking impact sub amongst them

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Are there any replays of the two first-half VAR decisions for offside? They took an age to decide, and the Thai guys in front of us thought the first was a goal and not offside.

The 1st one looked like it was off, the 2nd one own first glance looked very tight and then they didn't really show another replay. But for both of them there was no need for Jakolis to be offside, he gained absolutely zero by making it so tight 

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

A hugely disappointing evening. We had five members of our Gang there, the most we've had at any match for quite a while. The two VAR decisions on offside took a long time to decide and must have been marginal at best. As for our own performance all I will say is could we please stop passing the fucking ball backwards at every possible opportunity.

I really think var has gotten worse across all of football it really takes you out of the moment. 

We don't have a good team so got no expectations for the rest of the season 

7 minutes ago, citypool said:

I really think var has gotten worse across all of football it really takes you out of the moment. 

We don't have a good team so got no expectations for the rest of the season 

Yes. The recent Spurs-Chelsea example must be the worst yet. In all, including long delays for the VAR, I think it was 23 minutes added time!

Jakolis is a most irritating player - he was play-acting an injury again last night. We seem to have no-one who can run on to a through ball, out-pace the defence and at least get a shot on goal. Jakolis, JMac and Natel all had opportunities.

Was at the game and dont think our current squad suits the formation we play.  We try to dominate possession and then are totally predictable with side to side passing, and then wide attacks that go nowhere, except backwards or side to side.  Talbot kills 98% of attacks he is involved in .... i think Galloway should be given a go.  Jakolis is improving, has a sublime touch, but still struggles with his finishing pass, and has no chemistry yet with JMAC, or Aziz.  And our system does not work for JMAC.  Its so easy for anyone to defend against us , let us have the ball and overload out wide and compress the middle ... our wide players hardly ever try and get in behind (only Aziz on occasion).  And eventually we cough one up on the counter.  And our current style means we get very few counter attacking chances.  And when we do, JMAC has no pace or touch to take advantage (as he is a tap in goal scorer)

Maybe we should have had a couple of goals last night, but also out stale play makes me think we didn't deserve to win.

With the players we have, I think Vidmar must tweak our formation.  

I want to see a traditional 4-4-2 and this would be my starting 11 ... 

Young (GK)

Galloway   Nuno   Good    Aziz

Sakhi  Ugarkovic  Arslan  Jakolis

JMAC   Natel

I think this would work heaps better.  Easy for Leckie to slot back in as well... 

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Was at the game and dont think our current squad suits the formation we play.  We try to dominate possession and then are totally predictable with side to side, passing, and then wide attacks that go nowhere, except backwards or side to side.  Talbot kills 98% of attacks he is involved in .... i think Galloway should be given a go.  Jakolis is improving, has a sublime touch, but still struggles with his finishing pass, and has no chemistry yet with JMAC, or Aziz.  And our system does not work for JMAC.  Its so easy for anyone to defend against us , let us have the ball and overload out wide and compress the middle ... our wide players hardly ever try and get in behind (only Aziz on occasion).  And eventually we cough one up on the counter.  And our current style means we get very few counter attacking chances.  And when we do, JMAC has no pace or touch to take advantage (as he is a tap in goal scorer)

Maybe we should have had a couple of goals last night, but also out stale play makes me think we didn't deserve to win.

With the players we have, I think Vidmar must tweak our formation.  

I want to see a traditional 4-4-2 and this would be my starting 11 ... 

Young (GK)

Galloway   Nuno   Good    Aziz

Sakhi  Ugarkovic  Arslan  Jakolis

JMAC   Natel

I think this would work heaps better.  Easy for Leckie to slot back in as well... 

I highly doubt we will change our formation, the City way is the way.

You know Haaland also doesn’t have the best touch on the pitch, he is also a poucher so I can see similarities there. Unfortunately Haaland doesn’t get worked off the ball so easily, obviously there is a size and pace difference. Also whilst we appreciate JMAC the conversion ratio stats just aren’t that great. 

In the City system every player from GK to CF needs to have good ball control. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I highly doubt we will change our formation, the City way is the way.

You know Haaland also doesn’t have the best touch on the pitch, he is also a poucher so I can see similarities there. Unfortunately Haaland doesn’t get worked off the ball so easily, obviously there is a size and pace difference. Also whilst we appreciate JMAC the conversion ratio stats just aren’t that great. 

In the City system every player from GK to CF needs to have good ball control. 

I agree that height and pace are a big factor with our current squad.  I'm not convinced that formation is the issue here although I agree that just persisting with JMac as the lone striker for the full match doesn't make sense when you need at least a draw. IMO we just do not move the ball forward quickly enough to exploit our possession. Again last night there were occasions when a player is standing over the ball and there's no movement ahead. Vidmar has definitely got a big job on his hands. He's not going to be able to change the skills or pace with the mature players we have in our squad. IMO what he has to do is to change the mind-set. Buriram had a midget as a GK but we rarely tested him out.

Awful performance, 1st half was ok but 2nd half was dreadful, one of the worse performances I have seen.

Not blaming Vidmar but don't know why we didn't go for instant stability and try and bring someone in permanently  Don't think with the clubs situation having just an interim is smart.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Are there any replays of the two first-half VAR decisions for offside? They took an age to decide, and the Thai guys in front of us thought the first was a goal and not offside.

You can watch the full replay or partial on Paramount if you have it.

Viddies hardly been in the job, so can't really have any blame, it's kind of the sort of expected performance at this stage.

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Awful performance, 1st half was ok but 2nd half was dreadful, one of the worse performances I have seen.

Not blaming Vidmar but don't know why we didn't go for instant stability and try and bring someone in permanently  Don't think with the clubs situation having just an interim is smart.

We did that with Rado and it didn't work out. The appointment of Vidmar sounds almost like panic mode - one phone call and it's done. We've all watched more City matches than he has. I think he's got a very tough job ahead - an ageing squad and no game-changing players on his bench. I don't think anyone can call last night's performance as anything less than very disappointing. We're still not down and out of course, but losing has made our task a lot more difficult - one point out of six at home. There's three weeks until the next match, in Japan, against Ventforet who won 4-1 last night and who now head the table on goal difference.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

We did that with Rado and it didn't work out. The appointment of Vidmar sounds almost like panic mode - one phone call and it's done. We've all watched more City matches than he has. I think he's got a very tough job ahead - an ageing squad and no game-changing players on his bench. I don't think anyone can call last night's performance as anything less than very disappointing. We're still not down and out of course, but losing has made our task a lot more difficult - one point out of six at home. There's three weeks until the next match, in Japan, against Ventforet who won 4-1 last night and who now head the table on goal difference.

Would love to be surprised and we beat Ventforet but in a realistic world we should go there get at least a point and hopefully win the final game against Zhejiang

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Have we watched more City matches than Vidmar? This is a brand new team with only three or four starters from last season. JMac is beginning to slow down, Good is certainly slower as is Reis, and Talbot has stalled. The rest are all new. I only managed to watch the first half but what Vidmar would have seen is what we saw. I would have liked him to bring Galloway on but he now knows what he has to work with.

As for a single call? we don't know that for sure. Perhaps there was a call to Ufuk Talay or perhaps Petrillo had already been in contact with Vidmar's management. We will never know.

Viddy has had two training sessions with the boys, it will take him much longer than that to assess where he wants the squad to be. I'd think bringing on the kids was to assess what he's got available which doesn't appear like much from that source. I think Petrillo has to take a lot of the blame for this year's squad. Feel we've gone away from the under 30 visa pick ups and bought in a lot older and slower guys. And lost some good youngsters from last year because they weren't getting game time which was fault of Rado

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Viddy has had two training sessions with the boys, it will take him much longer than that to assess where he wants the squad to be. I'd think bringing on the kids was to assess what he's got available which doesn't appear like much from that source. I think Petrillo has to take a lot of the blame for this year's squad. Feel we've gone away from the under 30 visa pick ups and bought in a lot older and slower guys. And lost some good youngsters from last year because they weren't getting game time which was fault of Rado

Spot on.
End of this current season will also see the end of the current contracts of:
Young, Good, Reis, Hall, Politidis, Antonis, Sakhi, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout, Jakolis and Natel.
So we could see another major rebuild, especially up front.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Spot on.
End of this current season will also see the end of the current contracts of:
Young, Good, Reis, Hall, Politidis, Antonis, Sakhi, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout, Jakolis and Natel.
So we could see another major rebuild, especially up front.

Sakhi was an option to buy so potential for him to stay longer if club want to pay a fee

On 09/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, jw1739 said:

I am pretty confident the club have had Vidmar in the wings for a while. Petrillo said he had been wanting to get him involved in the club in some capacity or another.

I wouod be very surprised if they hadn't tapped him up after the GF loss last year (if not earlier).