Melbourne Football

Rnd 5 Vs Roar @ Suncorp. Friday 7.50pm

neio

Like jw said - diving is part of the show. Nobody should have an issue with it. In fact, it's not really diving. If someone isn't touched at all, it's a dive, no one wants that. But if you are held, tugged, tripped... If any contact is made you have the right to go down. 

Australia is still so backwards in a lot of ways. 

11 minutes ago, morphine said:

Like jw said - diving is part of the show. Nobody should have an issue with it. In fact, it's not really diving. If someone isn't touched at all, it's a dive, no one wants that. But if you are held, tugged, tripped... If any contact is made you have the right to go down. 

Pretty much this. Its not diving, its accentuating contact.

I do love the fact that Australian players tend to keep the 'accentuating' to a minimum as is in line with our sporting values across the board, but people also need to come to terms with the way the game is played across the world too.

Our honesty if you like is a virtue, but i dont think condemning players that make sure the ref knows when they are fouled is right either.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, morphine said:

In fact, it's not really diving. If someone isn't touched at all, it's a dive, no one wants that. But if you are held, tugged, tripped... If any contact is made you have the right to go down. 

Well i completely disagree. Flopping, diving, acting. Whatever. Same shit to me. 

I dont see how wanting players to maintain a certain level of dignity is backwards. Blindly accepting something and allowing it to happen because its done elsewhere seems more backwards to me personally.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Well i completely disagree. Flopping, diving, acting. Whatever. Same shit to me. 

I dont see how wanting players to maintain a certain level of dignity is backwards. Blindly accepting something and allowing it to happen because its done elsewhere seems more backwards to me personally.

Would you be happy to lose games for the sake of not getting that 50/50 penalty ? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, I would. I'd also be unhappy to win a game without honour.

Fast forward 10 years and we have 4 A league and 5 FFA titles and a couple of AFC championsips by playing without so called honour (which is the way the rest of the world plays anyway), I'll take that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Fast forward 10 years and we have 4 A league and 5 FFA titles and a couple of AFC championsips by playing without so called honour (which is the way the rest of the world plays anyway), I'll take that.

I wouldn't be happy because we can still win them playing fairly

• Like 1

Aloisi's comments about Kilkenny-esque acting are fair enough. I agree that there should be retroactive punishments on hand for those sort of incidents. His comments about Fornaroli are pathetic (although, in fairness, the writer has added the most provocative part of that).

Meanwhile, Aloisi drew attention to “pinning” tactics used by City captain Bruno Fornaroli on opposition defenders, which he suspects might also be illegal. “He likes to pin players around the box. What I mean by pinning, he actually holds you and I don’t even know if that’s allowed, but he does, and he uses his body well,” he said. “We’ve worked on how we can defend against that and hopefully the players will be able to defend against it.”

It's pretty clear what Fornaroli does. He has exceptional core strength which allows him to stay on his feet in dangerous areas, even when two or three defenders converge on him. The defenders then push harder and down goes Fornaroli. He's not acting, he just draws them into committing a foul. Bruno has been doing it since he arrived here. Interesting that only now has it started to concern Aloisi.

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

No call from Bambi for the Suncorp sniper to be removed. Broich will continue to drop like a sack of potatoes with the slightest contact. At least we won't have to seal with Henrique's acting

Oar, Borello and Maclaren are pretty decent. Will stretch us. Hopefully after last week we can play with 4 again at the back. The 3 makes me nervous. 

• Like 3

IMO this is a bellwether match for us. If we can't come away with at least a point I think this will be an indicator of how we are going to perform overall throughout the season. Seems to me that our challenge is always to back-up our carefree attacking football with resolute defending. I'm not convinced yet that we can do that regularly enough. I'll be happy enough with a draw tonight.

• Like 1

Looks like a 3-4-3 tonight, probably with a narrow diamond in midfield

Bouzanis

Muscat    Jakobsen     Rose

Killkenny

Retre            Bratten

Cahill

Kamau    Fornaroli    Brandan