Melbourne Football

Round 27: Melbourne vs Adelaide

Victards

3 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Well tonight made a few things clearer:

-Mooy has to be leaving because he didn't give a fuck tonight Agree

-Chapman is no left back. Agree

-Malik is ridiculously over rated No, I thought he was okay tonight, but hard to create and score goals from number 6. 

-Fitzgerald is a confidence player and it looks like he is in a low phase True

-Caceres looked solid further up the pitch I believe he has been played out of position all season due to Mooys presence Agree in general but was not solid tonight, gave it awy too much

-Franjic cares and was the only bloke who put a shift in tonight (honourable mentions to Melling and Patty K) Cares but way overrated. Hated him when he was in the Socceroos as I thought he was way out of his league but thought he would be good for us. Not so sure now. 

-I've been a Novillo supporter but he needs to be moved on. For all his talent something isn't right with the guy and he isn't the answer going forward. Yep

-Clisby is shit and looked like a headless chicken when he came on he is nothing more than a bit part stop saying he is better than Zullo Yep x 2

-JVS is cunt. No he is useless, which the other isn't. 

• Like 3

What a disgraceful/dissapointing/insipid whatever you want to call it performance.

The lack of fight and desire from the team tonight was just really upsetting, we were playing for our season tonight and as has already been said, Adelaide just wanted it more. Whilst JVS needs to go, their are a number of players tonight who really need a kick up the bum as well (looking at you harry)

We look shot, i can't see us doing anything next week. Melbourne Heart never left.

• Like 1

That was as poor a match from City as I can remember watching, absolutely zero intensity from us.

Novillo was dreadful - selfish and uninterested. I remember in the first half a ball was put through for him and he simply just stopped running as it hadn't been put right on his feet and he figured he wouldn't make it, which basically sums up his attitude to me - If I had ever done that in any of the rubbish Sunday league teams I've kicked about in the coach would have chucked a boot at me at half time. Mooy and Fornaroli were quiet tonight, both of them were given no time on the ball - but regardless, i agree with the others on here saying Mooy didn't look all that interested. Starting to get the feeling he's already out the door.  Dunno what possessed Sorensen to belt into Mauk but jeez he could have picked a better time time to lose the plot. 

Hats off to Amor though, he knew how to set them up to completely kill our style of play, and naturally Mr Innovation on the sideline did sweet FA to counter it. The AUFC players were much more disciplined and determined, made us look absolutely shocking to be honest, they'll probably do alright in the finals. Not that I want them to, bunch of sods. 

What a waste of a great squad and what was a pretty good season. You can kick all the goals in the world and play the best football in the country (occasionally), but it doesn't mean squat when the end result is a mid table finish and no trophies.

• Like 3

The players tried hard in patches but seemed flat ... probably not enough recovery time from being smashed by Perth.

Poor poor poor from JVS. Not sure what he was thinking with the setup and the response to Adelaide's dominance during the game. We had no answer. 

Such a devastating night to be a City supporter and there was literally zero positives. I didn't enjoy 1 second of that game. We were never in, we were completely bossed all over the park.

i can only hope that with a proper recovery the boys can bounce back. I don't like our chances ... hoping for a derby, but we'll probably get Perth away and I don't see that ending well.

Depressing.

As with last week this performance has been on the cards for a while. The roar game was the one for me where the game turned on the sending off - up to that point we were just unable to break them down at all.

the Adelaide and Perth games showed that our ability to defeat teams is based entirely on mooy creating and fornaroli finishing - because novillo is no longer beating players, Fitzgerald limited and our full backs weak and unable to create. In short we are a two trick pony and the tricks have been found out.

im disappointed but not surprised.

• Like 1

Sorensen fault

he clearly had money on AU winning

first attempt to stop the goal was very ordinary. 

Then he  made sure we lose with a wonderful Jonah Lomu tackle  

He just looked different at training

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Disappointed crowd you mean. 11k+ and that's how we play, no wonder they don't come back.

We are a little spoiled. 

This year we had some close and great games at home  

last 2 vs Sydney teams  Brisbane demolishing and few others  

we won plenty of times yet crowds are still poor  

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Because he's a fuckwit who has bet on Adelaide?

For the record that was not a penalty.

the ball had crossed over the goal line and therefore it's "out of play" when Sorenson made contact.

Maybe a caution but had to be a goal kick.

FIFA referee and he got that completely wrong...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

For the record that was not a penalty.

the ball had crossed over the goal line and therefore it's "out of play" when Sorenson made contact.

Maybe a caution but had to be a goal kick.

FIFA referee and he got that completely wrong...

Even if the ball is out of play, a player can still infringe an opponent and a free kick is given, isn't this correct?

Well that was fucking shit.

Classic City, all talk but when the important games come around no walk. I've been pleased with the club this season because often it's felt like we finally play with Heart, but tonight was as gutless and pathetic a performance I have seen from the club. 

To Adelaide's credit they defended brilliantly, neither Mooy nor Fornaroli ever found space on their own, and the Adelaide defenders refused to get sucked in for the tackle and turned by our stars. In the first half I thought they kept ngettig lucky as every deflection seemed to fall at their feet, but it soon became apparent that that was because they worked their arses off to always be in the right spot and in numbers. They deserved to win tonight, almost as much as we deserved to lose. 

As for our blokes I thought the defence tried hard. Franjic has been prettty ineffectual since returning from injury but he tried numerous times tonight to create but was never given support resulting in overly long runs with lame endings. Sorenson was shit. Was screaming "what was i supposed to do" after giving away the penalty but the replay clearly shows him looking at Mauk prior and making no effort to pull out. I'm all for protecting yourself when you collide but to me it looked like he wasn't that concerned about mitigating the impact. 

JVS subs were intersting to say the least. Marino tried hard but I think Caceras would have been a better halftime sub. Chapman for Clisby was largely pointless, and though Clisby did work hard he was ineffectual. 

Fornaroli was very well held by Adelaide's defence, he only seemed able to get the ball out wide and even then was not given space. I doubt we had more than a couple of touches inside the box tonight, Adelaide clogged up and protected that area very well. 

Fitzgerald worked hard and probably had the best attacking plays out of all our blokes, but his final product was terrible and wasted all his hard work. At least he managed to get to that stage though, Novillo would just keep taking guys on until they got it off him. Also how many of our forwards could slip over? Very frustrating.

Another promising crowd that wanted to get involved but never had the opportunity to really do so, how many times can this cub burn prospective supporters with crap like this. I swear almost every time we have a chance to impress people we blow it. 

Dissapointing to see our best season yet end up like all the others. Hopefully we can rectify it in the finals, if we are on we are certainly capable of still going the whole way but an away trip anywhere (but particularly to Perth) will surely be the end. What a shame we couldn't take advantage of the awesome talent we have assembled and head into the finals series in for instead of coming off the back of two insipid losses. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

walked past melling, asked him if he wasn't going to the function and said "nah" and laughed to himself, not a good look 

Wtf. If players have got that attitude then piss them off. That type of attitude is like a cancer at our club, Dont want this shit anymore.

44 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Just fuckin awful feeling. 6 seasons of failure. I'm pretty use to it now. Victory mates have been hammering me all night on Facebook 

Well I don't think they have too much to crow about!

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

Even if the ball is out of play, a player can still infringe an opponent and a free kick is given, isn't this correct?

Once the ball is out of play the game has technically stopped.

any infringements that occur can be dealt with by the referee, in that giving a caution or send off, BUT the game has to be restarted by the previous decision. In this case the ball crossed the goal line and therefore the game has stopped and should have been restarted by a goal kick. The referee decided to restart by a penalty.....that is an error in law!!!!

For any free kick to be given, the ball must be in play....

27 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

Once the ball is out of play the game has technically stopped.

any infringements that occur can be dealt with by the referee, in that giving a caution or send off, BUT the game has to be restarted by the previous decision. In this case the ball crossed the goal line and therefore the game has stopped and should have been restarted by a goal kick. The referee decided to restart by a penalty.....that is an error in law!!!!

For any free kick to be given, the ball must be in play....

Out of play is defined by the officials, not by the act of the ball crossing the line. In this case the referee had not indicated that the ball was out of play. Therefore it was still in play, therefore a penalty.

Reference: See Finkler et. al.

This game sealed the fate of JVS. There have been so many questionable decisions he's made over the years, but last night was the icing on the cake. I can't see any way CFG will keep him on for next year, when we finish 4th/5th. Really don't think even a Grand Final win would save him.

From the start: 

- Chapman at LB. Why on earth would you put a player in at LB in a game as important as this, when he has NEVER played there before? I know Garuccio and Clisby aren't amazing, but Garruccio has been our LB over the past 2 months of great results, so have no clue as to why he wouldn't go straight back into the team with Zullo out.

- Our formation. A few weeks ago we played brilliantly against Adelaide with a flat 4-4-2 ( Fitz and Zullo wide). Last night we went back to that fucking midfield fucking diamond, which has literally not once worked for us. I actually would question if we've ever scored a goal playing a narrow midfield diamond ( maybe v Nix, but think that was after we shifted Fitz and Zullo wider). Yes, Adelaide defended well- but we were so narrow, that they only had to defend the middle third of the pitch. Last week ( i didn't see the game) apparently we played a 4-3-3? Why are we weekly changing formation at this stage of the season? We were playing fantastically with a flat 4-4-2.

- Marino brought on to play left side of a diamond midfield: Seriously, what the hell? A young striker, who ( as far as I know) has never played midfield for us in any way, shape or form- and JVS brings him on in that role in a game like this!? And, over Caceres who actually plays that position and ( before he came to us) is a good quality A-League midfielder.

There are clearly motivational issues within the team, and as has been said on here multiple times- i imagine JVS being about as inspiring/motivating as a chair.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tommac said:

i imagine JVS being about as inspiring/motivating as a chair.

Never read something so true!

My old man was telling me that the commentators on the telecast, said during the halftime break JVS was silent sitting down, while Amor was still drilling his players.

Can anyone confirm that who watched the coverage? ^

Edited by haz