Melbourne Football

RD 20: CCM at home

Dylan

I would personally try 4-4-2 for this game. Get Harry up top with Bruno. My selection would be:

Sorenson

Franjic

Wilkinson

Kisnorbo

Clisby

Malik

Mooy

Fitzgerald

Bruno

Harry

Zullo

Subs: Bouzanis; Hughes (if fit); Melling; Garrucio; Dekker

Harry can drop a little deeper when defending. I know it won't happen, but at least I would like us to try this formation.

• Like 2

Melbourne City FC v Central Coast Mariners

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-Off: 5:00 PM (Local) (5:00 PM (AEDT))

Referee: Stephen Lucas

Assistant Referee 1: Luke Brennan

Assistant Referee 2: Brad Hobson

Fourth Official: Jonathan Barreiro

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 2.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Aaron MOOY, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 27.Nick FITZGERALD, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 33.Osama MALIK, 39.Ali EYIGUN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 16.Jason TRIFIRO (promoted), 25.Jacob MELLING (returns from suspension), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (promoted), 39.Ali EYIGUN (promoted)

Outs: 9.Harry NOVILLO (omitted), 29.Anthony CACERES (suspended – 1 match)

Unavailable: 4.Connor CHAPMAN (knee – 1-2 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season)

Central Coast Mariners squad: 1.Paul IZZO (gk), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Jacob POSCOLIERO, 5.Harry ASCROFT, 6.Mitch AUSTIN, 7.Fabio FERREIRA, 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (c), 10.Luis GARCIA, 12.Trent BUHAGIAR, 13.Alastair BRAY (gk), 15.Brad McDONALD, 16.Liam ROSE, 19.Josh BINGHAM, 21.Michael NEILL, 23.Tomislav USKOK, 25.Adam BERRY, 28.Matthew FLETCHER

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 5.Harry ASCROFT (return from suspension), 23.Tomislav USKOK (promoted), 25.Adam BERRY (promoted), 28.Matthew FLETCHER (promoted)

Outs: 17.Francesco STELLA (not selected), 22.Jake McGING (gluteus tear – 1 week)

Unavailable: 9.Roy O’DONOVAN (suspended – 2 matches) 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Every week just emphasises to me that we are going to have to recruit really well for the limited number of places left for next season. 

11 players are out of contract at season's end. Then you can speculate on Mooy's and Novillo's departure which would make it 13. That would be half the team.

Of course, I do agree that regardless of circumstance the club should always recruit really well.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

11 players are out of contract at season's end. Then you can speculate on Mooy's and Novillo's departure which would make it 13. That would be half the team.

Of course, I do agree that regardless of circumstance the club should always recruit really well.

You're correct with the numbers. I was really alluding to the fact that six of those tied down for next season are actually quite young players - Chapman, Clisby, Melling, Retre, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro. If you look at the listed forwards only two could be described IMO as starters - Fornaroli and Novillo - and with perhaps a question mark over the latter we're going to have do do a hell of a lot of good recruiting to have a good squad.

Hope to be proven wrong, but I can't see Bruno scoring this game without Novillo playing.  Even though Mooy assists most of Bruno's goals,  it's Novillo that draws defenders away from him since he's always usually marked tightly

12 hours ago, neio said:

Sorenson

Franjic

Wilkinson

Kisnorbo

Garruccio

Malik

Retre

Mooy

Fitzgerald

Fornaroli

Zullo

Bouzanis, Clisby, Melling, Trifiro, Dekkar

My guess how we will line up 

Good guess for the starting lineup IMO. I wouldn't mind Zullo at LW. Then either Retre or Melling in midfield, and Garuccio or Clisby at LB.

However with Novillo out, the team is really pretty short on proven forwards. The team has no proven wingers. While I loathe the idea of another formation change, with this teamsheet a 4-2-3-1 would make sense:

Fornaroli

Retre- Mooy- Fitzgerald

Melling---Malik

Zullo-Wilkinson--Kisnorbo-Franjic

Sorensen 

Anyway regardless of the tweaks to the team tactics and starting lineup, Melbourne City should be able to outclass CCM at home. With Fornaroli up front, Mooy in midfield and an improved defence, the team should be able to get a straightforward win (although with all the upheaval probably not comprehensive win, like our previous game [5-1] against CCM).