Melbourne Football

RD 20: CCM at home

Dylan

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Better than his usual "what is the most creative formation I can think of for this away trip" or "who is least suited to left back but I think I can convert"

My favourite is "we may have copped 2 goals in the process but that formation change worked well last week, might as well continue this for the next month." 

Edited by n i k o

18 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Annoyed to be missing this match due to a mate's 21st. No Harry but we should win this comfortably, would make the weekend after the tards loss tonight! #CopThatMuscat

Who the hell has a 21st on a Sunday?

Fucking kids :droy:

Unless of course you are expecting to still be hungover. I suppose that would be acceptable.

• Like 3

If what Walmsley is saying is true and not mind games, it's very interesting for us. Potentially a big chance to control the game from the 1st half:

Garcia back to the bench as the Mariners plan to speed past City

20 Feb 2016

AAP

Luis Garcia is set for a return to the bench as the Central Coast Mariners seek more second-half inspiration from the Spanish veteran in Sunday's meeting with Melbourne City at AAMI Park.

Mariner coach Tony Walmsley confirmed the 37-year-old will be expected to provide the spark off the bench after he made his first A-League start in last week's loss to Adelaide United.

"We're going to look after him, it's another short turnaround trip, we want him fresh for the Jets game at home next week," Walmsley said.

"I would say at this stage Luis is likely to come off the bench and give us that impact that he's given us in the previous games."

With Garcia to be saved for an impact role, the Mariners are planning to go at their opponents from the start, targeting what Walmsley believes is a heavy-legged City defence, with all-out pace.

Flagging starts for striker Josh Bingham, wingers Fabio Ferreira and Mitch Austin and 17-year-old Trent Buhagiar, Walmsley said neither City captain Patrick Kisnorbo or a "rusty" Alex Wilkinson - a former title-winning Central Coast captain - will be able to keep up with the "explosive" speed of the Mariners' attack.

"He hasn't had a lot of game time," Walmsley said of Wilkinson.

"At least we're playing Wilko when he's not 100 per cent peak form.

"(Bingham) is the kind of centre forward who can really give Wilkinson and Kisnorbo a headache. We'll launch some bombs into Bingers this week and see how they cope with that, with Fab and Mitch running off him.

"We've got quite a formidable and potent forward line, we're going to cause their defence some problems.

"If we can get the ball into the right area and deliver balls in behind their defence, the likes of Kisnorbo over 10, 15 yards will, as much experience as they have, will find it difficult to cope with our sheer pace."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/02/19/garcia-back-bench-mariners-plan-speed-past-city

JVS' press conference comments about the game:

City need full focus if Mariners not to spring a surprise

February 20, 2016

Michael Lynch

With one point from the last nine - and that a lucky one against Melbourne Victory in last week's derby - Melbourne City can ill afford to lose any more momentum when they host bottom of the league Central Coast Mariners on Sunday afternoon.

John Van 't Schip's side continues to score goals, but continues to leak them too. Against a Mariners side that has itself notched 25 goals in its 19 games it cannot entertain any slip-ups, especially as City has kept only one clean sheet all season.

City will have to try to get back on the winners list without French star Harry Novillo, who has been given a club imposed two-match suspension and fined 50 per cent of a week's wages after a domestic incident involving his partner earlier in the week after which he was led away by police in handcuffs.

No charges were laid, but City meted out their own justice after conducting a week-long probe of the issue.

Van 't Schip acknowledged that his side would be weaker without Novillo, but some issues were bigger than football.

"There are always things going on in the week. Every team has to deal with those issues. We had a good week of training and I am more than confident that the energy is good. The boys are up for it to go and play tomorrow."

The Mariners have abandoned the gung-ho attacking style they had for much of the season and now have former Liverpool and Spain star Luis Garcia as a marquee player to add some star quality to a side built on a shoestring and filled with youngsters and recruits from the various National Premier Leagues.

"Central Coast has changed their way of playing. They are a lot more defensive unit, they play on the break now.

"Garcia is still a good player and can give them something extra on top with through balls and scoring. "

Van 't Schip emphasised the even-ness of a league where every team, on their day, could beat the opposition.

"Everybody expects us to win, but this league has shown it's not like that.

"Victory played them a few weeks ago and were 3-0 down at half-time.

"Everybody thought we would beat Newcastle, we lost.

"It won't just happen because the team is lower [on the table]. You have to play to your abilities and then the quality can give you extra."

Steve Kuzmanovski has come into the squad, ostensibly as a replacement for Novillo, while midfield enforcer Jacob Melling is back from suspension. Aaron Hughes is fit again and under consideration for the match-day squad, while Anthony Caceres is once again suspended after being sent off for the second game in a row.

"The team has improved in depth, but we are still away from being a team that could be stronger. Physically players are still getting back to 100 per cent, some players are not there yet," Van 't Schip said.

He said Mariners coach Tony Walmsley had a number of options with Garcia.

"They can use him in two ways, as a high striker, a false nine, or as a number 10, or even off the bench."

"We didn't show up [against Newcastle]. We know we have to step up and bounce back. 

"They [Mariners] are harder to beat now. They are tougher, they are not as open as in the beginning. They have scored in almost every game. they have qualities and if you are not on top or prepared there are no easy games."

With concerns mounting over crowd trouble, Van 't Schip believes that stadiums should not show replays of controversial issues, which could stir outrage in the stands.

"It's not the way that things should be done," he said. "It's not what they do all over the world. Showing those things can affect everyone, the people in the stands, players and referee."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-city-need-full-focus-if-mariners-not-to-spring-a-surprise-20160220-gmz3ol.html

As long as we keep the majority of possession and are sensible at the back (i.e. don't play a ridiculously high line And don't give CCM time and space to play good balls over our defensive line), then Melbourne City should dominate this match, and should probably have the match won before Luis Garcia is subbed on in the 2nd half. It sounds like (going off JVS' press conference) that we'll persist with 4-3-3. I'd be happy to see Fitzgerald at RW again, and believe he'll be fired up to play his old side. LW is the mystery though--one of Zullo, Garuccio and Kuzmanovski presumably--so hopefully one of those players can step up (and really, all three of them should be able to perform against bottom-placed CCM if given a start).

Keen to see us play our attacking football from early on and boss the game, like we did the last time we played CCM. And keen to see us keep building AAMI into a fortress, as home record over our past 18 games shows we're building one: DWWDWWLLWDWWWDWDWW (11-5-2).

Put simply, the task for this match is "win." A win puts us clear of Victory and Sydney, and within touching distance of Adelaide and WSW. Anything else and I can see us eventually even slipping out of the finals altogether.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2016 at 2:05 PM, silva10 said:

I would personally try 4-4-2 for this game. Get Harry up top with Bruno. My selection would be:

Sorenson

Franjic

Wilkinson

Kisnorbo

Clisby

Malik

Mooy

Fitzgerald

Bruno

Harry

Zullo

Subs: Bouzanis; Hughes (if fit); Melling; Garrucio; Dekker

Harry can drop a little deeper when defending. I know it won't happen, but at least I would like us to try this formation.

With Harry now out I would bring in Jacob in midfield and go 4-3-3

Melbourne City seek return to winning ways

Feb 21 2016

Melbourne City attacker Nick Fitzgerald says quelling his former side's triple-threat of Luis Garcia, Fabio Ferreira and Mitch Austin will be key for City on Sunday.

Melbourne City need a heart-starter in their title shout, three weeks after blowing a chance to go top of the table in a helter-skelter 4-3 loss to Western Sydney.

Since then, they've lost to Newcastle and emerged from the Melbourne derby with a barely-merited draw to fall off the premiership pace.

When the league's worst side comes to town on Sunday, van 't Schip suggested he was keener to see a result than a performance.

"Tomorrow is all about getting three points," he said on Saturday.

"A draw against Victory, that's not a result that everybody worries too much about.

"But a loss against Newcastle, that is.

"We need the three points (against Central Coast) if we're to keep in the race for the highest positions."

City will be without at least two starters from last week's derby, with Anthony Caceres suspended for his red card and Harry Novillo stood down for his role in a domestic dispute.

Melbourne City need a heart-starter in their title shout, three weeks after blowing a chance to go top of the table in a helter-skelter 4-3 loss to Western Sydney.

Since then, they've lost to Newcastle and emerged from the Melbourne derby with a barely-merited draw to fall off the premiership pace.

When the league's worst side comes to town on Sunday, van 't Schip suggested he was keener to see a result than a performance.

"Tomorrow is all about getting three points," he said on Saturday.

"A draw against Victory, that's not a result that everybody worries too much about.

"But a loss against Newcastle, that is.

"We need the three points (against Central Coast) if we're to keep in the race for the highest positions."

City will be without at least two starters from last week's derby, with Anthony Caceres suspended for his red card and Harry Novillo stood down for his role in a domestic dispute.

Melbourne City suspend Novillo for two matches

Melbourne City have suspended star attacker Harry Novillo for two matches after an investigation into an incident which saw him detained by police earlier this week.

Pushing Michael Zullo up the pitch or returning young winger Steve Kuzmanovski to the first-team are options for van 't Schip to replace the wayward Frenchman.

Filling Caceres' position is more straight-forward, with Jacob Melling likely to come straight back into the side after a one-week suspension of his own.

Nick Fitzgerald will play against his old side, saying he was looking forward to competing against "plenty of mates" still at the club.

He pin-pointed a trio of players that need to be shut down.

"Fabio Ferreria, Mitch Austin and Luis Garcia have been doing really well," Fitzgerald said.

"If we can restrict them to minimal touches on the ball, we'll go half way to winning."

Van 't Schip is wary of the last-placed Mariners, who he believes are playing above their station and have been aided by the addition of veteran Luis Garcia.

"Everybody expects us to win but this league has shown that its not like that ... Victory played them a few weeks ago and half-time they were 3-0 behind," he said.

"They got in Garcia in who's still a good payer and can give them something extra on top with through balls and scoring.

"We have to be aware of that and just go out there and get three points."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/02/20/melbourne-city-seek-return-winning-ways

Would like to see:

Sorensen

Franjic Kisnorbo Wilkinson Zullo

Malik     Melling

Mooy

Fitzgerald    Fornaroli       Garuccio

But I can see JVS playing Zullo at LW and Garuccio at LB. Our LB will have to deal with Ferreria, so hopefully we have some defensive ability down our left side (i might slightly prefer Clisby at LB over Garuccio to contain Ferreria TBH).

Or the team can just go all out attack, meaning that CCM's forwards will have to come back and defend and won't get a sniff in their attacking third (that's how u could see a Garuccio & Zullo combo down the left working--but we'll need to keep the ball much better than last week).

But really as long as the team puts in the effort, we should win comfortably like with our 5-1 and 3-1 wins against CCM earlier this season.

• Like 1