Melbourne Football

RD 19 We're having some visitors over at AAMI

Dylan

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

@Murfy1 you either spend every minute of your life looking for Melbourne City articles or you have a fantastic news aggregator

It actually takes very little time to post the 5 to 10 articles on Melbourne City each week (the Australian football media is tiny; just a handful of journalists), and I do so after work without difficulty.

Still too pissed off to voice my opinion at length as well. The Newcastle game was simply not good enough from everyone.

Anyway there's always next week to bounce back so the team has another good opportunity to show what they are made of this Saturday. Wilkinson must start, and he sounds fit enough to do so. Hopefully his inclusion tips the derby in our favour.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

It actually takes very little time to post the 5 to 10 articles on Melbourne City each week (the Australian football media is tiny; just a handful of journalists), and I do so after work without difficulty.

Still too pissed off to voice my opinion at length as well. The Newcastle game was simply not good enough from everyone.

Anyway there's always next week to bounce back so the team has another good opportunity to show what they are made of this Saturday. Wilkinson must start, and he sounds fit enough to do so. Hopefully his inclusion tips the derby in our favour.

Going way off topic, but do you support a European team?

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I think that this may be the first time I have read anger in one of your posts... I fully agree that it was a poor game but you have highlighted just how poor!

36 minutes ago, haz said:

I rate Novillo much more at taking corners,  hits them how they should be.

I agree, Novillo is a better corner taker.

Problem is he also wins probably 95% of 1 on 1 headers he is in and is also more dangerous than anyone when sitting at the top of the box waiting for the second phase of the corner.

19 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Probably the most important game of the season. A loss and we can forget a top two finish. 

I wish everyone would realise that every match is equally important from a silverware perspective. The six points we've already thrown away against Newcastle are worth just as much as any other six points. Not only that they'd already be in our ledger and allow our players to be more relaxed towards the end of the season.

Edited by jw1739

I've  prepared myself for a pathetic loss.

We are currently in our annual form slump which may continue for some time. Our shitness began in the Perth game away and the Wellington home game was just an aberration. We have been really poor with glimpses of greatness.

I genuinely felt this season would be different but to me it's the same old shit just different faces to disappoint. 

0:3 loss.

Just now, Jovan said:

I've  prepared myself for a pathetic loss.

We are currently in our annual form slump which may continue for some time. Our shitness began in the Perth game away and the Wellington home game was just an aberration. We have been really poor with glimpses of greatness.

I genuinely felt this season would be different but to me it's the same old shit just different faces to disappoint. 

0:3 loss.

So we have arguably the best team in the league, yet you feel this way.....

Hang on...

It couldn't be the JVS factor could it?

I also share your concern BTW.

Melbourne City FC v Melbourne Victory

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-Off: 7:30 PM (Local) (7:30 PM (AEDT))

Referee: Chris 'Barney Stinson' Beath

Assistant Referee 1: George Lakrindis

Assistant Referee 2: Luke Brennan

Fourth Official: Lucien Laverdure

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 2.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 27.Nick FITZGERALD, 29.Anthony CACERES, 33.Osama MALIK, 39.Ali EYIGUN

Ins: 2.Alex WILKINSON (transfer – Jeonbuk Motors), 29.Anthony CACERES (returns from suspension), 39.Ali EYIGUN (promoted)

Outs: 25.Jacob MELLING (suspension – 1 match)

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1-2 weeks), 4.Connor CHAPMAN (knee – 3-4 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season)

Melbourne Victory squad: 1.Danny VUKOVIC (gk), 2.Jason GERIA, 3.Scott GALLOWAY, 4.Nick ANSELL, 5.Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 6.Leigh BROXHAM (c), 7.Gui FINKLER, 8.Besart BERISHA, 9.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 11.Connor PAIN, 13.Oliver BOZANIC, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 16.Rashid MAHAZI, 17.Matthieu DELPIERRE, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (gk), 22.Jesse MAKAROUNAS, 24.Thomas DENG

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 10.Archie THOMPSON (returns from injury), 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH (returns from suspension), 16.Rashid MAHAZI (returns from suspension), 24.Thomas DENG (promoted)

Outs: 19.George HOWARD (omitted), 23.Jai INGHAM (omitted)

Unavailable: 21.Carl VALERI (ill – indefinite)

Edited by Harrison

38 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So we have arguably the best team in the league, yet you feel this way.....

Hang on...

It couldn't be the JVS factor could it?

I also share your concern BTW.

JVS can take a heap of blame but he can't be blamed for the dismal passing accuracy or lack of enthusiasm that was on display on Sunday the players need to take responsibility for that 

35 minutes ago, Deeming said:

JVS can take a heap of blame but he can't be blamed for the dismal passing accuracy or lack of enthusiasm that was on display on Sunday the players need to take responsibility for that 

Actually, yes he can. poor passing accuracy is a sign of bad tactics, eg players aren't in good positions to pass to etc.

And a lack of enthusiasm means the coach isn't motivating the players properly, a very important part of being a good coach.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Actually, yes he can. poor passing accuracy is a sign of bad tactics, eg players aren't in good positions to pass to etc.

And a lack of enthusiasm means the coach isn't motivating the players properly, a very important part of being a good coach.

Poor passing can be a sign of poor tactics but I'm not talking about inaccurate passes when players were surrounded by 3 opponents and had to find a team mate half way across the field. Many passes were simple passes that were not hit.

If players aren't naturally motivated to win when they're getting paid 10's of thousands of dollars to play then that's squarely on the players. A coach can boost or reduce motivation a bit but players need to be self-motivated. If anything a coach could be to blame for recruiting players who aren't motivated.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wish everyone would realise that every match is equally important from a silverware perspective. The six points we've already thrown away against Newcastle are worth just as much as any other six points. Not only that they'd already be in our ledger and allow our players to be more relaxed towards the end of the season.

From a points perspective yes. But there's no arguement I don't think that this game sets up an opportunity to gain maximum points over the next few rounds, puts us in third position and ensures that we have beaten one of the top teams in the league. 

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

First one, no. Second one, yes.

9 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Going way off topic, but do you support a European team?

Not really. I'm sort of an Arsenal supporter, but I don't have any real direct connections to the team. I much prefer supporting a team I can watch live now and then.

Agree that Mooy's corners have been a little underwhelming lately. Novillo could be a good option to take corners from now on. However I wouldn't rule Mooy out just yet, as he's racked up a few assists from free kicks this season, and it could be that Mooy's just had a bad game or two with free kicks.

Also Caceres needs a big game this Saturday, especially with Paartalu gone and Melling unavailable. Hopefully he can show his quality.

While in a sense every game is equal, some games are definitely "6 pointers" and are worth more, like Melbourne City's match vs WSW 2 weeks ago, playing for 1st place. And this game on Saturday is a definite 6 pointer for 3rd place (and a chance to gain ground on 2nd and 1st). So it's time for team to show what they're made of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Hearing good word kisnorbo might be out.

Watch this space.

Wouldn't be surprised. Probably be out for the rest of the season too knowing us.

3 hours ago, Tony999 said:

So according to an article in The HS has it that ample GA tix are available and won't sell out for a second time this season

I thought there are no GA tickets available for the AAMI Park derbies? Thought it was all reserved.

8 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Wouldn't be surprised. Probably be out for the rest of the season too knowing us.

I thought there are no GA tickets available for the AAMI Park derbies? Thought it was all reserved.

That's how they sold out so quickly.

TBH very underwhelmed by this game. The team looked disinterested last week. Why should I be interested in watching then do something they don't care about?

I was confident and I woke up today just realising, hang on, JVS is our manager and we are going through the traditional JVS slump. There is no way we will win this or go close to winning the league with his meandering moping bullshit. 

I can't wait to see the back of him at the end of the season, which can't come soon enough

oh and it's not a f'ing prize. It's the f'ing title. I hate it when he calls it a prize in press conferences and it just confirms he will be nothing more than a youth coach

10 hours ago, hakz7 said:

"Ample general public tickets remain for the clash between the competition’s third and fourth-ranked sides, who are level on points with nine rounds remaining until finals."

That's what it said.