Melbourne Football

RD 19 We're having some visitors over at AAMI

Dylan

FWIW I also copy and paste nearly all match analysis pieces as well, from http://leopoldmethod.com.au/ and http://www.timpalmerfootball.com/ .

Great piece above on Mooy. It demonstrates his ability to perform in different roles in midfield, such as holding/defensive midfielder, central midfielder/no. 8 and attacking midfielder/no. 10.

Also good analysis of the defensive job Malik did on Finkler. I'm starting to really prefer Malik in midfield, as he provides some defensive hustle in midfield that Melbourne City has long lacked (only match by Melling last season; form he hasn't quite replicated this season).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Also good analysis of the defensive job Malik did on Finkler. I'm starting to really prefer Malik in midfield, as he provides some defensive hustle in midfield that Melbourne City has long lacked (only match by Melling last season; form he hasn't quite replicated this season).

I'm not. I think he will be a good player for us but not based on this game. What the analysis fails to mention is that Finkler had the best goal scoring chance of the game when Malik lost him in the box, and Finkler (who has been out of form) had just about his best game of the season. Finkler realised he was being man marked and pulled wide to create space for others. And, if Malik struggles to contain Finkler, how will he cope with Luis Garcia?

7 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I'm not. I think he will be a good player for us but not based on this game. What the analysis fails to mention is that Finkler had the best goal scoring chance of the game when Malik lost him in the box, and Finkler (who has been out of form) had just about his best game of the season. Finkler realised he was being man marked and pulled wide to create space for others. And, if Malik struggles to contain Finkler, how will he cope with Luis Garcia?

I agree with what you are saying but I would add that FBK has had his best three games this season against us. Add Gui Finkler to that list (although he has been more consistent than FBK). I would also add that those that bothered to analyse the game rather than the fans have all said that was one of the better games of the season along with the previous two derbies. I think that both sides lift for the derby and provide some really good football the equal of any A-League match. So I was really pleased to Wilko contain Berisha because that means he is into the spirit of the competition.

1 hour ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Disagree with your analysis of Finkler. Having 1 good chance all game and scoring 1 fluke-deflected goal isn't a stellar performance. So I disagree with the notion that Malik struggled to contain Finkler. In fact, in open play I rated Finkler as rather ineffective in the final third.

My opinion on Malik is also based on his other appearances, which tell a pretty clear story. When Malik has played in midfield, in his substitute appearance against Wellington and in the derby, we've won and drawn. But when he's played in defence, against WSW and Newcastle, Melbourne City has lost both times. He certainly wasn't the only or main factor, of course, but I've rated Malik as significantly more effectively in midfield because of his excellent aerial defending, his mobile defending in midfield (something we didn't have with Paartalu in the team) and his good passing.

FWIW I'm not worried about the prospect of Malik vs Luis Garcia, and believe Malik would have the pace and wherewithal to keep up with him.

A final point is that Malik was sidelined for several weeks earlier in the season, and like all players returning from a serious injury (e.g. Novillo) he will almost certainly improve bit by bit for a month or two after recovering from injury. I'm confident we haven't seen the best of Malik yet, and he'll start showing even more from this Sunday.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Disagree with your analysis of Finkler. Having 1 good chance all game and scoring 1 fluke-deflected goal isn't a stellar performance. So I disagree with the notion that Malik struggled to contain Finkler. In fact, in open play I rated Finkler as rather ineffective in the final third.

Finkler had 4 shots on goal, 3 shots on target, 2 shot assists, 49 completed passes at 83% accuracy and 3 successful tackles from 3 attempts.

Like I said earlier, I think Malik is a good player. I just don't think he did a good job of containing Finkler in this particular game.

1 minute ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Finkler had 4 shots on goal, 3 shots on target, 2 shot assists, 49 completed passes at 83% accuracy and 3 successful tackles from 3 attempts.

Like I said earlier, I think Malik is a good player. I just don't think he did a good job of containing Finkler in this particular game.

How many of them shots were set pieces? One of them was his goal (which was an accident and 99% Sorensen's fault) and another one would be his disallowed goal.

I thought Malik had a stellar game. Gave me a bit of hope after seeing Retre and Melling struggle massively to fill Erik's shoes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

In the end besides Finklers missed opportunity (and minus the two goals) they never got close to scoring. Very unlike the derby in December. 

Quite right. I've been trying to get my head around it. Conceding 2 + 1 correctly disallowed (most criticS have failed to take into account curvature of the earth, parralex and the "time lapse effect")+1 stone wall pen not given (actually  probably not stone wall, For same reasons as given above), makes our defensive effort appear terrible/normal, but actually normally we invite the opposition to have heaps more chances.

I don't think we shot be excited by the defensive effort, but it seemed an improvement and hopefully it's one that will continue as the new squad jells.