Melbourne Football

R 4: City vs. Newcastle, Fri 30 Oct, 7.40 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

Oh right so premeditating where a penalty will go before the bloke moves to take it is good keeping? Sorenson has been useless accept it, waste of a visa spot when we had perfectly fine keeper in velaphi

Actually, penalty saves are pretty much ALL about premeditating. Sometimes you guess right, sometimes you don't. Happy to have the Velaphi argument but blaming Sorensen is stupid.   

Edited by dr lime
  • Like 2

Simply disgusting. Made all the worse by the team showing it can play good football in the first half as well (I don't think the Jets had 1 good chance in the first half, and we had more than enough chances [i.e. Bruno's header] to go +3 up).

Such ridiculous capitulation, together with a roll-over-when-times-get-tough mentality. Incredibly disappointing, and it does feel like deja vu all over again for long suffering Heart supporters.

There were signs towards the end of the first half that the team was starting to sit on their lead, and sadly the team was even more flat after the half time break. That simply can't happen. During the first 10 minutes of the second half the team was flat; they weren't keeping the ball and didn't create any chances. And after the double substitution things were even worse--exactly the opposite outcome substitutions are meant to produce--and the team unraveled over the 21 minutes from the Jets first goal on the 58th minute to their last goal on the 79th minute.

IMO we sent boys out to do a men's job. 3 of our back four are 22 years old or younger, our midfield of 'veteran' Aaron Mooy (25), Stefan Mauk (20) and Jacob Melling (20), and 18 year old Kuzmanovski as one of our front 3. And then there's the substitutions! We threw 2 more kids on (Dekker, 21, Millar, 18) to try and settle the team. Hardly the players that can help an A-League team settle and fightback in a difficult situation.

It all reflects very badly on JVS. Expecting too much from kids, and quite possibly not leading the team enough himself. The inability to get the team fired up at half time going into the second half reflects poorly on him. Important and/or experienced players also went missing in the second half and didn't show enough leadership, but the coach can't escape plenty of heat after that poor second half capitulation.

There's a lot of other issues in this match too--the team's profligacy (Bruno and Gameiro had golden chances to score), the inability of the team to play for 90 minutes (an issue that feels like it's been around forever), refereeing madness (soft calls all night for the Jets, they should have had more yellow cards, and a questionable pen) and a poor crowd of 7,200 (how on Earth do we have that number following a thumping 3-1 win in front of 8,400 last Sunday, with ample advertising this week?).

Really tired of these matches and just want to see a more confident team play football with self-belief for most of a football match.          

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

We're basically the equivalent of being the Richmond of the A-League as far as hope and disappointment goes. 

Looked dreadful the moment the second half kicked off. 

Not sure why you would try to get 'If you love City stand up' going the third time when the Jets scored both times this chant started up. 

And for those who say we have no history - we manage to pull out performances like Melbourne Heart did, thank you very much. 

Edited by pringa
  • Like 2

Woeful performance, so many things wrong tonight I don't really want to start up... but can any tactically minded people on here enlighten me on to what JVS was doing with his changes tonight? I cannot figure out for the life of me what he was trying to achieve by making a double change when he did and why he simply swapped our wingers over, when we were under so much defensive pressure and barely even had the ball? I'm no expert (rather, a casual Football Manager player) but I just can't make sense of it.

We lost control off the midfield in the second half so JVS brought on 2 forwards. Perhaps he was thinking that we would cop a few goals but maybe could just outscore them, maybe he regretted starting Williams who had butchered just about every ball, perhaps he realised that he has no midfielders or experienced players on the bench? Most likely he was afflicted with the same panic as the team on the pitch and just didn't think.

• Like 2

not even surprised, go from complete dominance in the first half to hardly troubling the gk apart from the piece where gameiro skied his shot
never feel comfortable with a 2 goal lead considering our history, didn't feel safe last sunday and could feel a loss coming at 2-1 up today
refs are fucked, time to import refs, atleast 1 major incident in all our games so far
get gooch out of defence, get tando back in when ready and finally fuck jvs off

I was surprised to find the forum still operating as I thought it would have actually melted down before I got home. You're probably all numbed by what we've seen tonight rather than angry.

IMO we didn't lose control of the midfield, we gave it away. Round about the 35-minute mark I'd say. From then on it was a question of how many Newcastle were going to score, not whether they would. Once we gave away the initiative I thought most of our players were well below par, even those who should have stood up and tried to pull the side back together. The defence is leaking goals, and every team is attacking us down the flanks and we don't have the ability to clear the ball effectively. Retre tries hard but doesn't have the pace, and Garuccio is just not a defender. TBH I thought Sorensen was woeful tonight - too easily beaten to his left, and poor distribution. The midfield was disorganised, and just too many passes going astray. Glamour boy Mooy was too slow and too selfish on a number of occasions. Up front our wingers were completely ineffective. Tuna tried hard, but as I suggested elsewhere, he and Mooy are not going to be able to win us silverware by themselves.

I don't know how many more times we're going to endure this before CFG takes the axe to JvS. I can't see how team selections, substitutions, tactics, mental brittleness and ultimately performances like this enhance the "brand." 

The worst case of capitulation I've seen in 5+ seasons.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

I was surprised to find the forum still operating as I thought it would have actually melted down before I got home. You're probably all numbed by what we've seen tonight rather than angry.

IMO we didn't lose control of the midfield, we gave it away. Round about the 35-minute mark I'd say. From then on it was a question of how many Newcastle were going to score, not whether they would. Once we gave away the initiative I thought most of our players were well below par, even those who should have stood up and tried to pull the side back together. The defence is leaking goals, and every team is attacking us down the flanks and we don't have the ability to clear the ball effectively. Retre tries hard but doesn't have the pace, and Garuccio is just not a defender. TBH I thought Sorensen was woeful tonight - too easily beaten to his left, and poor distribution. The midfield was disorganised, and just too many passes going astray. Glamour boy Mooy was too slow and too selfish on a number of occasions. Up front our wingers were completely ineffective. Tuna tried hard, but as I suggested elsewhere, he and Mooy are not going to be able to win us silverware by themselves.

I don't know how many more times we're going to endure this before CFG takes the axe to JvS. I can't see how team selections, substitutions, tactics, mental brittleness and ultimately performances like this enhance the "brand." 

The worst case of capitulation I've seen in 5+ seasons.

Because they left nothing in the tank.  #JVS tactics: game is won in first 30 minutes.

Let myself settle down a bit...What a familiar feeling supporting this football club! had a complete sense of inevitably about it. Just a numb feeling leaving the ground and now.. 

That Newcastle team is beyond average but from '30 onwards we made them look like champions  Bossed through the midfield and they did as they pleased.. Williams ineffectual for his 50 mins but so was his replacement.. Dekker was just as crap as Gameiro. Bruno tried hard as always but there's only so much he can do  

unfortunately we're the first game the next three weeks so I better get used to kicking the weekend off on a sour note. 

• Like 1

We're basically the equivalent of being the Richmond of the A-League as far as hope and disappointment goes. 

Looked dreadful the moment the second half kicked off. 

Not sure why you would try to get 'If you love City stand up' going the third time when the Jets scored both times this chant started up. 

And for those who say we have no history - we manage to pull out performances like Melbourne Heart did, thank you very much. 

the timing for some of the chants tonight was absolutely awful

also, the Que Sera, Sera chant is literally the biggest buzzkill of a chant that we have imo, made a million times worse when we're losing

Here's something funny: took my missus to the game for the first time this season (she has zero interest in football), towards the end of the game she goes why you all stressed for your team is winning? She looks up at the scoreboard and goes is that 3-2??? I didn't even notice lol That was the only time l laughed last night.

Edited by Tony999
  • Like 1

Our fullback are also fucken disgraceful. Completely slaughtered on both sides tonight. That double sub too just fucken lol honestly. Why do we continue to play Dekker wide when he's clearly a central player? Honestly.

Can we on the football forum take over coaching duties for the rest of the season?  Belguttaman? Murf? We have better coaches on here then we do at city ATM!

Go back not too long ago and I would have been so pissed off with what happened tonight. But with the effects of inconsistency in our club at the start of yet another season I felt so desensitised to the three goals we copped and the loss that it doesn't bother me too much. 

I felt the first half our performance was a combination of us playing well and linking up but also Newcastle not performing well. Without doubt the subs made by both teams in the second half was the game changer. Newcastle made some changes in midfield which changed the dynamics of the game. We really could have done with a change in the midfield, unfortunately it came in the form of Miller who was very poor in that position. Perhaps Paartalu off the bench could have been useful?

I'm not sure why Dekker is being brought on to play as a winger. He's not that type of player to be providing defensive support for Retre and to be trying to create attacking opportunities. With Gameiro I think his energy is great and he will be a good player for us eventually but he definietly doesn't look settled yet. 

I think JVS is certainly at fault for the loss due to the subs and players chosen during the game. But I also think he's not stupid and can see what's going on regarding how the teams is performing inconsistently. He's basically pointed it out numerous times this season already. But with every time he mentions it shows that he simply doesn't have the ability (qualities) to change this because it keeps happening. Simply not good enough. 

• Like 2

What looked like being a great win turned out to be a disaster. It was obvious in the last 10 minutes that their most dangerous attacks were coming down our left. What we should have done was take only Kuzi off and put Williams to the right, with Gamiero on the left. Maybe that would have given us a platform to stop them and get our attacks going. The fact is we had less experience on the bench than we did on the park, so we were restricted to what we could do off the bench. I don't understand why he didn't have a midfielder on the bench. 

Allied to this we have not seen Franjic or Hughes, and Zullo only fleetingly. The management have to be asked serious questions on how we recruit. Even if Franjic is a very good player, should we be signing him if we don't know when we can get him on the pitch. The Hughes signing is also looking very poor. We shouldn't be really signing someone on a Visa spot who still wants to play international football. Especially if that player is 35.

With Koren and Paartalu being so poor again this season, it now leaves us with very young squad that lacks real leadership both on and off the field. Also whilst Sorenson is a competent keeper, he isn't a game changer.

The whole organisation really needs to be looked at from top to bottom, before things get even worse.

• Like 1

LOL @ the club, upping the PR and media spend this week promoting memberships for THAT!

JVS - where do you start? Cant remember a game where ALL of the changes made were just disastrous, yes the players need to shoulder blame but I am not sure what roles JVS was going for for the first 2 - and why make those 2 changes together? it was clear a midfield change was needed. Poor Millar - brought on during our collapse and was an utter deer caught in the headlights. I think he missed his first half a dozen passes by meters, literally.

Dekker/Corey - was there a mandate not to provide width or something? It was clear in the first half Newcastle wanted to stay solid in the middle, but Williams/Kuzi were able to draw the out without playing specatularly, opening up the midfield. That 2nd half was a tactical abomination. Basically brought 2 fresh players on who offered nothing and destroyed our structure.

Sorensen - umm, how can a person have played so many games at such a level, yet has no idea how to distribute the ball? Mind numbingly scary how bad he was in that area.

However, this is the game I thought the Perth FFA cup disaster would catch up with us, and it did. Perhaps we had our hands tied, but we had nothing to mitigate it and basically played the same team yet again. That stupid trip to Perth could not have come at a worse time, which created long travel before a short game, which backed into another short week with Newcastle having 48 hours on us. I really wonder how much planning and thought went into those 3 games, yes I know we have an injury list.

• Like 2

the timing for some of the chants tonight was absolutely awful
also, the Que Sera, Sera chant is literally the biggest buzzkill of a chant that we have imo, made a million times worse when we're losing

Especially the Top of the League chant in the first half! :droy:

And people are taking aim at JVS for his decision making. :D

• Like 1

Agree with the general consensus on here. Lacked leadership on the pitch and from the touchline. Incredibly strange substitutions from JVS especially given the 2 defenders/2 attackers on the bench he chose. Where was Trifiro? That was tailor made for him to come on. Granted not a world- beater but he gets on the ball and is pretty composed. JVS bringing Millar into midfield (albeit briefly as after 5 minutes of errors he moved him to RB) was idiotic. I'm not  completely off him just yet- but that loss is his. 

Bruno=superstar 

Edited by tommac