Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

In the 2014 Cup A-League clubs played on their usual home grounds if drawn at home to another A-League club. Otherwise they were always the away team at some suburban ground. Attendances were pitiful - the highest other than the final being the semi-final Adelaide vs. CCM (4,548). Other than the final the highest attendance was for Sydney United vs. Sydney FC in the Round of 32 - 8,125 at the Croatian Sports Centre.

On a Tuesday/Wednesday night at AAMI unless it is a derby I'd say estimates of 4-5k are about right. Not sure we'd draw that many if we played other than at AAMI. Despite all the Munn crap about Ballarat we drew just 2,801 there.

In the 2014 Cup A-League clubs played on their usual home grounds if drawn at home to another A-League club. Otherwise they were always the away team at some suburban ground. Attendances were pitiful - the highest other than the final being the semi-final Adelaide vs. CCM (4,548). Other than the final the highest attendance was for Sydney United vs. Sydney FC in the Round of 32 - 8,125 at the Croatian Sports Centre.

On a Tuesday/Wednesday night at AAMI unless it is a derby I'd say estimates of 4-5k are about right. Not sure we'd draw that many if we played other than at AAMI. Despite all the Munn crap about Ballarat we drew just 2,801 there.

The only club that played on their home ground was Adelaide in 2014.  We would all like It to be at AAMI but it wont be. Probably due to the cost and probably also the pitch condition. My bet would be on Epping. 

Draw is at 4pm. Obviously hoping for a home game and kind of want an A-league opponent to see where we stand

Edited by Dylan

I think most PPL's preferences would be:

1. A match against a NPL opponent in Suburban Melbourne for a change of location for once. 

2. A match against an A-League opponent in Melbourne.

3. A match against a NPL opponent interstate.

4. A match against an A-League opponent interstate.

Second best scenario, not bad actually.

It probably won't be at AAMI, which is a great shame IMO. Last night's Central Coast and WSW home matches were at proper stadiums - CCM's normal home ground and Penrith Stadium respectively - and both drew crowds of 6,000, whereas Newcastle were at Magic Park and drew just 2,500.

I've got no doubt I'll go to wherever our match is played, but Epping is a shit of a place with zero facilities and last time I was there for a match the toilets weren't even unlocked.

If this competition is going to take off then A-League clubs drawn at home should play at home, especially against A-League opposition. Otherwise it remains a pre-season Mickey Mouse affair.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Would it be the worst idea to take the game to the CFA? What better way to showcase the facilities to the fans. Not sure what the facilities are like, but I'm sure we'd be able to get some temporary stands, on the far side and standing room behind the goals or something. 

With the players we have becoming fit in the lead up to this game, as well as our recent signings, and Wellington's ins and outs (most of their strike-force out: Nathan Burns, Kenny Cunningham and Joel Griffiths, and merely one NPL striker in) I'd say this draw is fine for us. A good chance to look at some of the new recruits as well.

IMO It's a no-brainer to play the match at AAMI. Melbourne City have to focus on building a football club, and not on providing charity to regional areas. Like with the other A-League examples mentioned above, there will be the biggest turnout of supporters if the match is at our big home stadium rather than some small local ground.

Also "Melbourne City" has played very very few matches in Melbourne over the past 2 years, so the club should throw it's Melbourne-based supporters a bone and play the match in the centre of Melbourne.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

With the players we have becoming fit in the lead up to this game, as well as our recent signings, and Wellington's ins and outs (most of their strike-force out: Nathan Burns, Kenny Cunningham and Joel Griffiths, and merely one NPL striker in) I'd say this draw is fine for us. A good chance to look at some of the new recruits as well.

IMO It's a no-brainer to play the match at AAMI. Melbourne City have to focus on building a football club, and not on providing charity to regional areas. Like with the other A-League examples mentioned above, there will be the biggest turnout of supporters if the match is at our big home stadium rather than some small local ground.

Also "Melbourne City" has played very very few matches in Melbourne over the past 2 years, so the club should throw it's Melbourne-based supporters a bone and play the match in the centre of Melbourne.

Far too logical Murf.

Based on previous experience, I'd say our Promotions Assistant - Regional Australia (S. Munn Esq.) has the following files spread out on his desk:

1. Morwell, 2. Ballarat, 3. Albury-Wodonga, 4. Lismore, 5. Gold Coast. 

In all seriousness though, this is a test for our HQ management team. Play at AAMI Park or give our loyal supporters another kick in the their pre-season teeth.I know it's only a hypothetical, but if we'd drawn MV where would we play the match?

• Like 2

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic