Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Nate said:

do we actually know for sure that it'll be a big name? 

we've all been guilty of over-hyping before (and in the club's case, guilty of under-delivering)

No. That only came from the guest stint articles where it was indicated that we'd 'already signed a big name player for 2016-17' .
My guess is that its someone already under contract if true, hence the lack of rumours.

My impression was that we've had it locked in. The whole Cahill scenario kind of reinforced that idea. Now that neither seem to be close to being true I'm getting the feeling we don't have a marquee lined up and Cahill wont show either.

The longer nothing happens the more likely we will go into another season short of our allocated spots which for me is disastrous. 

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

My impression was that we've had it locked in. The whole Cahill scenario kind of reinforced that idea. Now that neither seem to be close to being true I'm getting the feeling we don't have a marquee lined up and Cahill wont show either.

The longer nothing happens the more likely we will go into another season short of our allocated spots which for me is disastrous. 

I have the same feeling about it. The "big name" and Cahill are/were both big stories built on the flimsiest of foundations.
At the moment we have 20 players in the senior squad and we can go to 26 plus a guest if we get the ages right. We've already seen against Floreat that a couple of injuries and there's really nothing much on the bench to change a game around.

I've just read that the boys will return from Perth today and then take a four-day break before starting the second half of pre-season. I'd say that if we don't hear anything by the end of next week then it ain't happening.

Edited by jw1739

17 minutes ago, haz said:

When was the 'big name' 2nd marquee first mentioned, was it hinted at a fan representative meeting or was it from a new news article? If it was the latter, then I assume its all BS.

From what I remember it came from an article linking us with Cahill and that CFG had already lined up a marquee therefore the only way we could sign Cahill if FFA changed some rules.

As @jw1739 said we pretty much have a full list and if nothing is announced soon then we will start the season again short of the most important players. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I have the same feeling about it. The "big name" and Cahill are/were both big stories built on the flimsiest of foundations.
At the moment we have 20 players in the senior squad and we can go to 26 plus a guest if we get the ages right. We've already seen against Floreat that a couple of injuries and there's really nothing much on the bench to change a game around.

I've just read that the boys will return from Perth today and then take a four-day break before starting the second half of pre-season. I'd say that if we don't hear anything by the end of next week then it ain't happening.

Unless, as I said previously, the player is coming from the MLS

17 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I still think its Kaka from Orlando. Was suss as last when he flew out 

Soccer circles in a spin about Melbourne visit of Brazilian superstar Kaka
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-circles-in-a-spin-about-melbourne-visit-of-brazilian-superstar-kaka-20151129-glax7b.html

this got blocked by the FFA remeber

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

But that doesn't make sense either. IIRC the whole-season guest player is for one season only, and unless extended therefore won't feature in any future broadcasts.

If 'big players' lead to more viewers then it's easier to ask Foxtel and FTA broadcasters for more money

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Pretty sure @Dylan was tongue in cheek about Kaka being blocked.

Well that makes sense as to why I dont remember the Kaka incident, but it applies to Lampard much more anyway, straight out of the EPL he would have been a huge hit for the league given the amount of EPL snobs in this country.

Probably one of the biggest fuck ups by the FFA, especially now that they've created new rules so we can sign Cahill as well as subsidising his wage when he won't have as big an effect as Lampard.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

I'm starting to think there's going to be no marque. The club is still trying pretty hard to get members to resign, offering discounts etc. If there was a marque then I think they wouldn't need to do that.

Also there were rumours before Killkenny signing and Brandan signing but nothing on this. If there was a marque coming I would have thought something would have gotten out.

17 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I'm starting to think there's going to be no marque. The club is still trying pretty hard to get members to resign, offering discounts etc. If there was a marque then I think they wouldn't need to do that.

Also there were rumours before Killkenny signing and Brandan signing but nothing on this. If there was a marque coming I would have thought something would have gotten out.

There has to be a marquee, otherwise the creation of the guest player slot makes no sense.

However, let's not discount the possibility that the marquee has already been signed but not announced as a marquee, eg one of the two you mention.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

There has to be a marquee, otherwise the creation of the guest player slot makes no sense.

However, let's not discount the possibility that the marquee has already been signed but not announced as a marquee, eg one of the two you mention.

Guest player is subsedised by the FFA marque is not

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

This was exactly my line of thinking. 

But if Cahill for whatever reason doesn't end up signing then there is also a chance that your right Brandan or Kilkenny are this season's Marquee. 

If true for me that's pretty much a monumental fuck up. And that's not in any way to discount those 2 as being great players but they are not Marquee. Even Koren was a some point a known player and captained his National side.

The longer it is that this takes the more pessimistic I'm feeling. 

Surely they wouldn't go down this path it's just crazy.

52 minutes ago, malloy said:

What about the Marquee slush fund? There was a bit of a stink about Fornaroli not meeting the criteria for having his marquee status subsidised by FFA. 

I had forgotten about that. 
So there is funding available for new 'guest' players and for marques if FFA deem them worthy enough. I'm not sure what the point of the guest funding or position really is then?

The slush fund is a compromise. FFA didn't want to allow three marquees per club, but were prepared for a full-season guest of "star quality" (or whatever the exact words were) per club on a trial basis to try and boost attendances, memberships, A-League profile and marketability etc. etc. in an effort to bring more money into the game.

Obviously City can afford to have two marquees and a guest but are reluctant to do so while FFA has too many rules on other things that clubs can and cannot do. City don't see why they should subsidise the league while having rules specifically directed against them (Lampard and Caceres). That's the gist of how it's reported. I can dig up the reports but CBF to do so today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeming said:

I had forgotten about that. 
So there is funding available for new 'guest' players and for marques if FFA deem them worthy enough. I'm not sure what the point of the guest funding or position really is then?

The money was meant to be for marquees, but when the first marquee worth using the money on, Cahill, came around, the only side that were prepared to sign him was us. Since we already had two marquees in the works, they created a 3rd marquee spot, but called it a "season long guest player" and to distinguish it from the current two marquee spots and give the obvious change in rules some credibility they decided the marquee fund was now a season long guest player fund.