Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

If Novillo added killer passing to his natural tendency of taking anyone on he would be a top line player in a big League.

He is what he is and he is still the best winger we have had. Great goal and hope we sign him next season and he scores 10 plus.

I think Duff was the better winger, but this guy does have potential.

If Novillo added killer passing to his natural tendency of taking anyone on he would be a top line player in a big League.

He is what he is and he is still the best winger we have had. Great goal and hope we sign him next season and he scores 10 plus.

Harry N. is exactly the sort of player we want. Add the passing and variation to his play, which we can do with coaching, and he can become the "big player who becomes a big name."

• Like 1

I think Duff was the better winger, but this guy does have potential.

Perhaps. But this guy definitely has one thing over Duff: his 9 incher.

• Like 4

If he didn't have the flaws that people mentioned ie not passing enough or at the right time, do you actually think we would've been able to sign him at 23? Or as a free agent? Not like we signed him for a fee...

His stint here is effectively a trial for bigger clubs to see his potential in game situations.

• Like 1

If he didn't have the flaws that people mentioned ie not passing enough or at the right time, do you actually think we would've been able to sign him at 23? Or as a free agent? Not like we signed him for a fee...

His stint here is effectively a trial for bigger clubs to see his potential in game situations. This is probably true, just hope we can still pin him to a permanent contract Edited by haz

His stint here is effectively a trial for bigger clubs to see his potential in game situations.This is probably true, just hope we can still pin him to a permanent contract So far based on performance I'd say that either in the transfer window he will move to the French second league or we will tie him down for 1-2 years. Hasn't shown enough for major interest.

Assuming that he is kept (and I am warming up to him), can our coaching staff iron out his deficiencies, principally his ability to pass the ball once he has drawn players towards him? Will a full pre-season with the team (whenever it is assembled as normally we don't get the full playing list until the season has started) help him trust his team mates?

The fact is, Novillo is someone this club has needed for a while. All our other "wingers" tend to play a bit more like false 9s in that they tend to hold the ball up rather than put the defense on their toes and take them on.

The best wingers in the world have a certain cockyness that gives them the ability to dribble past players (Hazard, Bale, Ronaldo, Neymar etc).

He is by far our best player.

If you don't agree pls hang urself 

ps. Novillo taking on players and losing the ball is a lot more fun to watch than Novillo passing to plebalicious spastics in our forward line who look lost in the final third. i want his fat cock in my mouth (slight homo)

Are you ok there? Maybe take a couple of moments.
  • Like 1

Who and what is grindr?

It's an app where you go to make new friends.

Everyone on there is so friendly, you should get the app on your phone and give it a go!

This.

Also, if someone says they're "top", it just means they're a top bloke and they'll shout you beers all day at the pub.

Who and what is grindr?

Everyone on there is so friendly, you should get the app on your phone and give it a go! I think l can sense the sarcasm from your house to mine

Don't need new friends anyway. Trying to offload some as it is.

Edited by Tony999

Who and what is grindr?

Everyone on there is so friendly, you should get the app on your phone and give it a go! I think l can sense the sarcasm from your house to mine

Don't need new friends anyway. Trying to offload some as it is.

Send some my way, I'm getting sick of my WoW raid buddies

• 2 weeks later...

He kind of plays like an U8 doesn't he?

Gets the ball and goes for goal.  He seems to do this regardless of:

• where he got the ball
  • where his opponents are
  • where his team mates are

OK, he has a good touch, but his decision making is atrocious.

The worst part is his age.  If he was 18 you'd say, "we'll teach to make better decisions", but the guy is already 23 and obviously hasn't learnt anything yet.

The only reason I'd sign him is if i thought he was teachable.

Generally I like my wingers to provide crosses and assists as No. 1 and chip in with goals as No. 2.  If he can't/won't cross then I don't see him as a winger and I don't really see him as an out and out striker either.

Fully agree Novillo was painfully wasteful in front of goal today. But at least he got a lot of his shots on goal, so him and David Williams are little alike.

Even though he's already turned 23 this year, and is therefore a getting on in football terms, he has spent a lot of his career in the youth and reserve teams of one of France's biggest clubs, Lyon, and hence hasn't played a lot of senior games.

I see ample raw talent in Novillo. The only question is could he come good in the A-League and be worth a Visa spot? ATM I'm inclined to think yes, despite him having an off day (putting it mildly). He's scored 2 over 470 minutes, to have one of the best minutes per goals ratios in Melbourne City's squad at 235, despite being very new to the club, the league and Australia. Also IMO Novillo offers a lot besides goals, such as a very good ability to hold onto the ball (even when pressurised by multiple players), and occasionally he has shown he can play killer passes as well.

If Novillo was a lot more of a finished product there's almost certainly no way an A-League club could have signed (under the cap) a 23 year old like him in the first place. Pretty much the only way to sign proven international footballers for $100,000 - $200,000 AUD a season is to sign players in the twilight of their career, like Damien Duff and Fahid Ben Khalfallah. 

I'm satisfied to see that the club is trying to sign international players in their early to mid 20s, not their early to mid 30s. I'm sure the club won't make any decisions about Novillo until Melbourne City has played its remaining 2 or more games this season, so we'll see how he goes. But I wouldn't be surprised if Novillo comes good and proves to be worth 1 salary cap Visa spot.

• Like 1

Agree Murf. 

I'd play him ahead of just about anyone in our squad, Mooy being the only real exception.

Yeah he had a shitload of shots today, but most were on target and only took some exceptional saves from Vukovic to deny him.

...and he may hold onto it a bit too much, but he is strong and skillful and causes defences to backtrack quickly when he is coming at them. He causes real uncertainty.

Can't compare him to Willo who at the moment, is only showing something when he comes on with 30mins to go and plays wide.

Novillo is single handedly making up for all those bullshit back passes when in good attacking positions we made over the years with his relentless and often selfish attack on the goals. Often frustrates, but still way better than the crap the usual suspects dish up. We should hold on to him and try to curb his negatives- selfishness and diving. There a quite a few players we should get rid of before Harry

• Like 2

Novillo is single handedly making up for all those bullshit back passes when in good attacking positions we made over the years with his relentless and often selfish attack on the goals. Often frustrates, but still way better than the crap the usual suspects dish up. We should hold on to him and try to curb his negatives- selfishness and diving. There a quite a few players we should get rid of before Harry

Agreed with one proviso: is there someone better for the same amount of money and a visa spot?