Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

My favourite moment happened early in the game with scores locked at 0-0. There was a bloke with two trays of drinks with his back to the game talking to the cops. HN has a shot, a very powerful shot, which goes way over the bar onto the stands and hits the bloke with the trays right on the back. sending the beer sprawling. The cops and everyone else just burst out laughing. That should teach him to keep his eyes on the ball.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite moment happened early in the game with scores locked at 0-0. There was a bloke with two trays of drinks with his back to the game talking to the cops. HN has a shot, a very powerful shot, which goes way over the bar onto the stands and hits the bloke with the trays right on the back. sending the beer sprawling. The cops and everyone else just burst out laughing. That should teach him to keep his eyes on the ball.

actually, the funny bit was he didn't spill much beer... but then he tripped walking off. lol

He has the ability to create space for a shot, often dragging defenders out of position, and allowing other City players to get in excellent shooting positions. I'd like him to be more aware of these opportunities and to occasionally slide the ball across to another player rather than always taking the shot himself.

• Like 1

He has the ability to create space for a shot, often dragging defenders out of position, and allowing other City players to get in excellent shooting positions. I'd like him to be more aware of these opportunities and to occasionally slide the ball across to another player rather than always taking the shot himself.

I thought he was actually fairly selfish with the ball last night and not particularly energetic when he didn't have it. And it's pretty unprofessional not to have your jersey on and ready to enter the field of play when you're on the bench. TBH I wouldn't be rushing to sign him.

I thought he was actually fairly selfish with the ball last night and not particularly energetic when he didn't have it. And it's pretty unprofessional not to have your jersey on and ready to enter the field of play when you're on the bench. TBH I wouldn't be rushing to sign him.

I was like you mate, unimpressed with his performance yesterday. Everything you have said is spot on.

Has some tricks. But yeah, wait and see.

• Like 1

Hate him.

Playing like a 16 year old who has been told that a scout is watching him. Trying to do too much and ends up being shit because of it.

I'm sure if he just played his part in the squad he would be a fine player, but he's just attention seeking atm.

If you watch the replay he did so much good work. There were probably only two times he did a bit too much and lost the ball.

Then again maybe we need more Dugandzics in the team that are scared of their own shadow to even take on a fullback of the opposition.

• Like 3

I like this guy.

Thought he was flat and constantly on his heels in the first half though.

Much better in the second half when he was running at them. Shooting early and then laying off later. Their defence had no idea what he was going to do by the end of the game.

• Like 1

Hate him.

Playing like a 16 year old who has been told that a scout is watching him. Trying to do too much and ends up being shit because of it.

I'm sure if he just played his part in the squad he would be a fine player, but he's just attention seeking atm.

If you watch the replay he did so much good work. There were probably only two times he did a bit too much and lost the ball.

Then again maybe we need more Dugandzics in the team that are scared of their own shadow to even take on a fullback of the opposition.

Severe difference between having the confidence to take on a defender and being a flamboyant fuckhead.

I agree that he is probably a good player, but from what I've seen, if he just focused on doing a job rather than standing out, he'd be so much more effective.

Let's be honest, this guy last night came on during the first half when he still hasn't warmed up. That's hardly an appetite for success.

He came on and was still doing his warm ups. This is a player that didn't play last week due to illness, hasn't managed to yet gain complete match fitness and was meant to make an immediate impression? The first half was completely understandable.

The 2nd half he made a few decisions that were not ideal, but hardly terrible. He still looks our most dangerous forward threat, taking on players and making defenses actually have to think.

Signs are decent and hopefully he can further improve over the coming weeks.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

This guy makes all our other forward options look like spuds. The only player in the team that can run at players with the ball and not get bumped off or trip over it. I'd rather we sign him and 3 green kids than our current bunch or mediocre to downright terrible options on the wings. Can get the ball out of his feet for a shot too. As noted decision making needs work but he looks a pretty good prospect I'd say.

• Like 2

Well for me he adds a lot to the team. Of course he could have passed it more, rather than taking on players. However, these type of players are the ones that win you games. The fact that our own players don't know what he will do, is evidence that the opposition haven't got a clue either. This type of player just frightens the opposition.

• Like 3

Well for me he adds a lot to the team. Of course he could have passed it more, rather than taking on players. However, these type of players are the ones that win you games. The fact that our own players don't know what he will do, is evidence that the opposition haven't got a clue either. This type of player just frightens the opposition.

This is one of the issues. You can put it down that he has not had a pre-season with the team so they are all still learning about each other, and it may be solvable but as in another post I wrote that his career has not progressed in France and it must be due to a reason.

We have a good sample amount of games until the end of the season to see how he performs rather than discuss right now as to whether or not he should be retained.

He is the only guy apart from Duff who is not afraid to run at defenders and actually shoots. The warming up thing, well you can't predict someone will get injured that early on. The coach doesn't start sending his subs to warm up until just after that anyway, so understandable he got was off guard.

Guys, he is exactly the type of player we need, how long have we been wanting an attacking winger that scores goals? Sure he should have passed it to Koren when he was open and he had a shot but the build up to get to the point of being able to score was fantastic. He takes players on and beats them, is quick, scores goals and can cross the ball. What's not to like?

No matter what some dudes on here just like to be constantly negative.

• Like 4

I think he's very good the only problem is he thinks he can do it all himself. He easily takes on and beats 1-2 players but occasionally tries to take on 3-4 players and gets beat. Same with trying to shoot when he could pass. Once he settles he will dominate.

I think he's very good the only problem is he thinks he can do it all himself. He easily takes on and beats 1-2 players but occasionally tries to take on 3-4 players and gets beat. Same with trying to shoot when he could pass. Once he settles he will dominate.

Yeah I agree to a point, he is finding his feet and probably has an expectation that the league is a pretty low level. I still would prefer a winger who is willing to take on players as a winger should than someone like Mate who is scared to do anything other than run till he is completely useless.

I don't think he had a shot on target in the warm up and I was genuinely worried for the well being of supporters that were being smacked in the face by his errant attempts on goal.

I went to watch Villa when he was training here and I lost count the amount of shots he had that flew metres over the cross bar. Come game time though and it's a different story.

Novillo had a few shots, one dipped and just missed the side bar, the other hit the target but didn't have enough power. As long as when game time comes hes hitting them well does it really matter what happens during practise?

• Like 1

I think a little bit more balance in his play would be beneficial, not just in terms of getting others involved, but also to make opponents think twice about just triple teaming him whenever he has the ball and suffocating him. It makes sense to me that if he makes a few attempts to pass off to a teammate in a dangerous spot, that will create some more uncertainty in the defenders, that in turn could give him that bit more space to get his shots off. Right now, it seems like he rarely has an intention to pass it off and the opposition knows it.

Still, that feels like I'm being unduly harsh. He's been great for us. Just seems like with a minor tweak in his mindset, he could become a genuine star of the competition.

• Like 1

The fact is, Novillo is someone this club has needed for a while. All our other "wingers" tend to play a bit more like false 9s in that they tend to hold the ball up rather than put the defense on their toes and take them on.

The best wingers in the world have a certain cockyness that gives them the ability to dribble past players (Hazard, Bale, Ronaldo, Neymar etc).

He is by far our best player.

If you don't agree pls hang urself 

ps. Novillo taking on players and losing the ball is a lot more fun to watch than Novillo passing to plebalicious spastics in our forward line who look lost in the final third. i want his fat cock in my mouth (slight homo)

Edited by strider
  • Like 2

Besides your need for huge bolded font or your homosexual tendencies I agree mostly with what you've said. I think SP33 is right though, without taking away his flair to take on defenders too much, if he adds just a couple of passes at the right time each game it would add to his football even more. He has good vision, like with some of his switches of play last night or last week his short passes that have split through the middle of defences, so hopefully he can add to this part of his game a bit more.

• Like 1

If Novillo added killer passing to his natural tendency of taking anyone on he would be a top line player in a big League.

He is what he is and he is still the best winger we have had. Great goal and hope we sign him next season and he scores 10 plus.

• Like 1