Melbourne Football

Round 18: Melbourne City vs Perth Glory | Sun 22 Feb 5pm

hakz7

Melburnians are genuinely the worst active suppor

support in the league

Pretty harsh mate. Clearly better than any other team with similar crowd numbers.

Being pretty hot today, half the bay decided they just couldn't be fucked after 30 minutes Was at Swan st end 1st half was above average 2nd half lacked energy.

Was there a new whistle/s sounded great.

Melburnians are genuinely the worst active suppor

support in the league

Pretty harsh mate. Clearly better than any other team with similar crowd numbers. Being pretty hot today, half the bay decided they just couldn't be fucked after 30 minutesWas at Swan st end 1st half was above average 2nd half lacked energy.

Was there a new whistle/s sounded great.Yeah, I thought our first half was actually better than usual but in the second, the heat and lacklustre perfomance probably had an impact.

Excellent first half, with some of the better passing and movement ive seen at the club but needed to score then as the second half was always going to be a struggle in that heat.

Mooy had a shocker for once. But still against the top team, and us having no attacking subs we looked solid and probably shaded the game overall. Football should never be played in that heat or humidity if you want any fluidity in the play. Unfortunately we are at the point of the season were a point probably isn't good enough.

Where there two penalties not given to City in the first half? I was on the opposite end and it appeared so during play and on the replay.

As for the game, the first half was OK but as always the front third could not get around the bus. Disappointed with Mooy's corners and free kicks - they were poor and did not give any city players any chance what so ever. Murdocca - sorry he does not deserve another contract extension; just what is the point of going sideways every time without fail, had a good opportunity to take a step forward and have a crack instead goes sideways and runs into a purple wall. Koren - I am confused, does he actually have a role to play, what is the point of his efforts? And lets be serious in the first half he was active, so maybe like Murdocca but with better skills. Kennedy has obviously been rushed back so his fitness is not up to standard but somebody should tell him that although he is good, he is not so good that he can take on two or three PG players and win. The A-League is better than that.

Does anyone know what happened to Melling?

Very disappointing game.We're certainly not going to win games with that sort of impotent forward line. Did anyone actually have a shot at goal with their feet?

Overall Tando looked competent, and he certainly saved us right at the death. 8/10.

Jaliens had a good debut, and had the best chance of the match. Chapman my MOTM. Kisnorbo and Clisby solid. All 8/10.

Paartalu seems tentative at times - not his best game - 7/10. Melling very solid and hope his injury is minor.8/10. Mooy, starting to get greedy and losing the ball by taking one touch to many.6/10. And please find someone else to occasionally take a dead-ball kick. Mooy is completely predictable.

The problems are clearly up front now. Standard ineffectual game from Williams.5/10.

Koren wasn't quite invisible but I'd rate him extremely disappointing for a marquee player.4/10.

Kennedy - poorest on the ground. Another waste of a marquee spot as far as I'm concerned.Slow, unfit, predictable, and ready to fall over at any opportunity. Twice took an extra touch when he should have gone first time.3/10.

van 't Schip - astonishing decision to pull off Koren, who was still mobile, instead of Kennedy who couldn't even walk.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

CFG...Get rid of the abysmal home kit that looks like the product of a sydney fc & melbourne victory fornication.

Get rid of our horrible sunbed using, geriatric recruiting, inverted winger deploying manager and sack our english language mauling, unable to spell/write/emote properly capo. Seriously, he may be a decent bloke but our 'capo' (god I hate that term) looks like he'd be denied a job at micky d's, how the fuck is anyone with half a brain expected to follow his lead?

Not sure what to take out of today?

1 point from the top team. Nothing to sniff at. Very oppressive heat. Was never going to be attractive to watch, not sure but did Glory have any genuine chances?

Starting lineup was very strong, bench woeful, Retre Murdocca Saufiwan and Hoffman. If we didn't score in the first 30 we were lucky with a point. I know everyone is seeing it as 2 points lost, to me it's a point gained.

Recovery will be the real test this week, game on Friday tough to back up.

Still not sure. Better have one more beer, it's still bloody hot.

1 point from the top team. Nothing to sniff at. Very oppressive heat. Was never going to be attractive to watch, not sure but did Glory have any genuine chances?

Starting lineup was very strong, bench woeful, Retre Murdocca Saufiwan and Hoffman. If we didn't score in the first 30 we were lucky with a point. I know everyone is seeing it as 2 points lost, to me it's a point gained.

I thought the same about the bench. Prior to kick off I was desperately hoping that we didn't have any injuries as the bench was meant to do what?

CFG...Get rid of the abysmal home kit that looks like the product of a sydney fc & melbourne victory fornication.

Have to agree with this. Thought I would get used to it but it's awful. So is the supporter merchandise. 

And the "new benches" thing was all a storm in a teacup. While we're going retro let's go back to the Bunnings chairs - that new set-up looks like its come from the waiting room of a massage parlour/brothel in Thailand somewhere...

• Like 1

Have to agree with this. Thought I would get used to it but it's awful. So is the supporter merchandise. 

And the "new benches" thing was all a storm in a teacup. While we're going retro let's go back to the Bunnings chairs - that new set-up looks like its come from the waiting room of a massage parlour/brothel in Thailand somewhere...

oh c'mon, you know where, you're just not telling

• Like 1

Perth had no shots on target, although I don't know if we could take all the credit for that.

not even fussed that i couldnt attend the game, fed up with this all too familiar bullshit... No passion, desire, leadership or creativity. Boring style, shit players and manager. Would rather go out for a few drinks with mates who i havnt seen in a while then attend these days. Joke of a club and we will remain so if changes arnt made now..

• Like 6

I was at the game and although it was hot, it's the same for both teams.. At the end of the day we needed these 3pts to take us back into the 6 and keep the pressure on the Roar.. We didn't do that today and players really needed to find something extra which they didn't..

I agree that the team looked better and defence looked more solid.. But going forward we are far to predictable, the Glory defence didn't look to bothered as they pretty much allowed us to have 70% possession..

As a 5yr member I'm getting sick of this pointless possession rubbish, goals is what wins games, as glory showed by almost pinching it at the death if not for Tando...

We have played 3 of the top 4 teams in the league and only have 1pt, 2 clean sheets and no goals to show for it.. We look like a team that is playing in 6th gear against teams that are in 2nd gear and we still can't beat them..

Our style of play has not evolved and our tactics are the same week in week out, as Paartelu keeps playing sideways and our front 3 have not been able to penetrate any defence other than the Newcastle thrashing..

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't make the 6 and I just hope the CFG bring in the right manager and the right players to get us to a level were we can seriously compete..

• Like 1

surprised jailens started, even more surprised with the performance

most of our shots were straight at vuckovic but disappointing that both times we've played them he's been their best player

kennedy is knackered early on in 2nd half again and gets the full game, i'd even give the hoff another go upfront if you have no other strikers on the bench

mass has done well coming off the bench for us recently

Even Kennedy seemed to think JVS was crazy not taking him off. He was desperate to get off.

Jestr, as much as I am trying not to, I have gone down the same path as you there. Just too hard to invest time and energy in a club that seems to go out of its way to underperform so regularly.

Edited by Heart_fan

not even fussed that i couldnt attend the game, fed up with this all too familiar bullshit... No passion, desire, leadership or creativity. Boring style, shit players and manager. Would rather go out for a few drinks with mates who i havnt seen in a while then attend these days. Joke of a club and we will remain so if changes arnt made now..

Mate, I had a fantastic weekend until 5pm today.

So shit, on and off the pitch.

It was a very strange game. It seemed we lack belief we could win it. 

Yet Perth showed no ambition either. It seemed they were happy for the point.

Although we passed the ball well, we had no real desire or intent with our passing. Just keeping possession for it's sake.

Koren needs to have a good look in the mirror. He should have been taking that game by the scruff of the neck, instead he was quite happy just to pass the ball around with no real intent. The one pass he did to Josh Kennedy in the first half showed he has the quality, but I am beginning to question his desire.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

sack our english language mauling, unable to spell/write/emote properly capo. Seriously, he may be a decent bloke but our 'capo' (god I hate that term) looks like he'd be denied a job at micky d's, how the fuck is anyone with half a brain expected to follow his lead?

how very kind of you. :up: you obviously haven't heard that I'm not an idiot?
  • Like 1

Get rid of our horrible sunbed using, geriatric recruiting, inverted winger deploying manager and sack our english language mauling, unable to spell/write/emote properly capo. Seriously, he may be a decent bloke but our 'capo' (god I hate that term) looks like he'd be denied a job at micky d's, how the fuck is anyone with half a brain expected to follow his lead?

Pretty fucking easy to sit behind a computer screen and criticize the people that actually have the stones to get up in front of the whole terrace with a mega and work their asses off to try and get everyone up and about and behind the team, a team which isn't giving people much reason to get behind it at the moment.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 3

Although we passed the ball well, we had no real desire or intent with our passing. Just keeping possession for it's sake.

Koren needs to have a good look in the mirror. He should have been taking that game by the scruff of the neck, instead he was quite happy just to pass the ball around with no real intent. The one pass he did to Josh Kennedy in the first half showed he has the quality, but I am beginning to question his desire.

Pretty demoralising outcome really. We had chances to score in the first half and played decent. But it was the Glory keeper Vukovic that kept them in the game with some good reflex saves. Tando on the other hand had little to do. Had we scored then it could have been a more satisfying outcome to the game.

Glory don't pride themselves on being a great side to watch. What we don't seem to be good at is to change tactics to counter a very defensive opposition like Glory. Anyway it was pretty hot and it's easy to defend under those conditions than to keep up an attacking intent. But geez, why was Mooy continuing to take corners when they were ineffective? Why didn't we take shots from outside goal rather than trying to walk it in through a packed defence - especially in the 2nd half? Why was Jesus kept on the pitch when he was clearly out of steam? And yes, Koren should have taken the lead in these matters and shown some onfield leadership.

• Like 2

Positives were that we were by far the better team, I thought we looked pretty good. Deserved the three points, but were probably lucky to hang on last week. And despite what Perth says, I find it hard to believe that they're overly happy just hanging on for a point against a middle-of-the-road team, given the position that they're in.

Jaliens was excellent in his debut and I thought the defence in general was very solid. Velaphi didn't have much to do at all, but his clearance at the end was good, I thought, didn't get caught in two minds, made a decision and committed to it. I actually thought Murdocca was pretty good when he came on, he is what he is though. To give us 20 minutes off the bench every week for the rest of the season,I think we could do worse. Melling was by far the pick of the midfielders, so hope his injury isn't serious. I thought Kennedy was pretty good: looked dangerous and he's only going to get better. Koren: we're waiting.

At the end of the day, good teams find a way to get three points out of those kind of games. And unless there's another signing on the way, that's probably the best eleven we can put on the park for the rest of the season. 

Pretty demoralising outcome really. We had chances to score in the first half and played decent. But it was the Glory keeper Vukovic that kept them in the game with some good reflex saves. Tando on the other hand had little to do. Had we scored then it could have been a more satisfying outcome to the game.

Glory don't pride themselves on being a great side to watch. What we don't seem to be good at is to change tactics to counter a very defensive opposition like Glory. Anyway it was pretty hot and it's easy to defend under those conditions than to keep up an attacking intent. But geez, why was Mooy continuing to take corners when they were ineffective? Why didn't we take shots from outside goal rather than trying to walk it in through a packed defence - especially in the 2nd half? Why was Jesus kept on the pitch when he was clearly out of steam? And yes, Koren should have taken the lead in these matters and shown some onfield leadership.

I couldn't agree more with your post.

Generally I think Mooy is good at set pieces, but he was off his game today. Maybe Koren should have taken them after the first couple.

I though JK did some good holding up in the first 30 minutes, but after an hour he was out on his feet,

Maybe he should have brought Retre on then and put Williams up front. I almost fell of my sofa when I saw Retre being positive lol

Positives were that we were by far the better team, I thought we looked pretty good. Deserved the three points, but were probably lucky to hang on last week. And despite what Perth says, I find it hard to believe that they're overly happy just hanging on for a point against a middle-of-the-road team, given the position that they're in.

Jaliens was excellent in his debut and I thought the defence in general was very solid. Velaphi didn't have much to do at all, but his clearance at the end was good, I thought, didn't get caught in two minds, made a decision and committed to it. I actually thought Murdocca was pretty good when he came on, he is what he is though. To give us 20 minutes off the bench every week for the rest of the season,I think we could do worse. Melling was by far the pick of the midfielders, so hope his injury isn't serious. I thought Kennedy was pretty good: looked dangerous and he's only going to get better. Koren: we're waiting.

At the end of the day, good teams find a way to get three points out of those kind of games. And unless there's another signing on the way, that's probably the best eleven we can put on the park for the rest of the season. 

Well the best eleven may not be necessary the right eleven

Well the best eleven may not be necessary the right eleven

Quite possibly true. But, I guess my point is, the months of waiting for the cavalry to arrive are over. Kennedy's here and playing full games. Koren's the same. Duff's gone for the season, so no sense in worrying about him. Guys that have been mainstays in the starting lineup for nearly two years, like Hoffman, Murdocca and Ramsay are going to be regulars on the bench, if not in the youth team. And the players that are out injured at the moment (depending on the status of Melling) are on the periphery of the senior squad. I can see how a player like Dugandzic might have added a bit today, but really choosing between him and someone like Williams is a week-to-week proposition. It's about as good as it's going to get, with regards to available personnel this year. Unless we somehow manage to get another first eleven quality player to take Duff's spot, this is pretty much the best we've got until next season.

• Like 1

Upon a night's sleep I thought that one of my bugbears has almost disappeared - a crappy defence. The defence is working OK with only Victory being able to dismantle it. Yes some people may say that PG weren't really trying but their style of play is to park the bus (hence Lowe's comment that people hate the way they play) and then counter attack which has been effective for them this season. Yet Keogh, Harold and the rest of them were pretty useless. City's midfield normally has a better work rate but I put that down to the loss of Melling and Mooy having a day off. This leaves our non-existent forward line and our tactical nous. Kennedy has the goods but is obviously unfit and plenty of posters have already made enough comments. For next week maybe Marino could be available or perhaps bring in Dekker (although given that the NYL are one win away from being premiers that would be a hard call). Tactically the coaching was not good enough. Now I am torn as to whether JVS is persevering with the same structure every week because he wants to embed the game plan come hell and high water, much like Gombau did last season at AU; OR he does not trust the team to play well enough to change structure; OR whether he really does not believe he can get out much more of this playing group so he is not even trying.

• Like 1