Melbourne Football

That F word.

Jovan

Should make finals easily if only for the fact the lower half of the league is so bad this year and Sydney's squad has been raped harder by injuries than any squad in the league I can remember. Expect us to finish 4-6, much as I expected at the beginning of the season.

Probably the poorest quality a-league season since hearts inception IMO. Don't know if it's just my lukewarm feelings for us as City that's clouding my judgment / enthusiasm for the league though.

Allegedly Perth provided free cars for contracted players without reporting it as they have to, and reported that several players were sleeping at franchise HQ when they were given club paid for accommodation. All will be revealed in time.

If this is true the sums involved are a fraction of those the storm were done for. I would assume a fine or similar would apply

As others have said, looking at the other teams I think we'll make finals by process of elimination.

Newcastle are the worst team and having both on and off field problems so they're out.

CCM seem to be in a very uncertain position off the field with games at NSO and only one win to the half way point is pretty deplorable. 

You'd think WSW are too far behind now, however for me they're not totally out of it.

Brisbane to me are are the biggest threats outside the 6 but they look pretty shot without Broich and are in limbo with the coach situation.

Even Sydney look average with a few injuries and I think we have more upside than them.

We're our biggest enemy and if we don't make finals then something seriously disastrous will happen with our club in feb to march. 

Should make finals easily if only for the fact the lower half of the league is so bad this year and Sydney's squad has been raped harder by injuries than any squad in the league I can remember. Expect us to finish 4-6, much as I expected at the beginning of the season.

Probably the poorest quality a-league season since hearts inception IMO. Don't know if it's just my lukewarm feelings for us as City that's clouding my judgment / enthusiasm for the league though.

Spot on, not your imagination.

Poor coaches, poor marquees, poor internationals (Adelaide and Perth excepted).

Well if I take the bottom five teams at the moment: City, Roar, CCM, Jets, WSW. Well City is improving compared to 12 months ago; Roar and WSW were the top two sides last season and their current predicament is as bewildering as it is unexpected. Jets have become the worst only because of the financial and ownership predicament they find themselves in. Ditto CCM. Coaching wise Poppa is a crap coach? Not on the record so far. Stubbins and Moss are probably not up to A-League standard. And obviously there is trouble at the Roar. Are the current bottom 4 worse than last years bottom four - I'd say that they are on par. I can't see Heart 12 months ago defeating any of the current bottom five.

• 2 months later...

If we did play Victory round 1 of the finals it would probably be Friday the first of may since North v Hawks & Saints v Bombers are on that weekend at Etihad and Rebels are playing at AAMI on the Saturday night. I'd say though Etihad would be the desired venue for everyone but our fans.

Geez - the AFL is really trying to fuck up the A-League this season, aren't they?

If we did play Victory round 1 of the finals it would probably be Friday the first of may since North v Hawks & Saints v Bombers are on that weekend at Etihad and Rebels are playing at AAMI on the Saturday night. I'd say though Etihad would be the desired venue for everyone but our fans.

Geez - the AFL is really trying to fuck up the A-League this season, aren't they?

Maybe we shouldn't blame the AFL? Isn't our season is going on later than usual because of the break for the Asian Cup?

Geez - the AFL is really trying to fuck up the A-League every season, aren't they?
  • Like 1

pies play carlton on the 1st at the mcg so thats even worse for traffic, scum will finish 2nd anyway

• 3 weeks later...

If we were to verse victory in a final, how would the tickets work? Would us members get a chance to buy tickets?

I'm afraid no mate, all tickets are given to all the Melbourne Victory fans, it's a cruel system sometimes.

• Like 1

If we were to verse victory in a final, how would the tickets work? Would us members get a chance to buy tickets?

All finals tickets are done by the FFA, not the clubs. There would be a 'football family' presale etc and then it'd be open to the public.

In short, yes.

Edited by Kinnibari

By the way, if we finish in 5th and win all our finals and Brisbane finishes in 6th and win their finals matches we'll get to host the Grand Final  ;)

Knowing our luck, if that happens the AFL won't budge from Etihad and the game will be played in Brisbane.

Awaits influx of afl hatred comments......

By the way, if we finish in 5th and win all our finals and Brisbane finishes in 6th and win their finals matches we'll get to host the Grand Final  ;)

Knowing our luck, if that happens the AFL won't budge from Etihad and the game will be played in Brisbane.

Surely if the Heart host the grand final AAMI Park will be big enough!?!

By the way, if we finish in 5th and win all our finals and Brisbane finishes in 6th and win their finals matches we'll get to host the Grand Final ;)

Knowing our luck, if that happens the AFL won't budge from Etihad and the game will be played in Brisbane. Surely if the Heart host the grand final AAMI Park will be big enough!?! Who knows, bet plenty come out of the woodwork including many we'd rather not.

Anyway to me it's a pity AAMI has been rejected out of hand due to $$$. The atmosphere would be electric, unlike playing football on a cricket ground.

By the way, if we finish in 5th and win all our finals and Brisbane finishes in 6th and win their finals matches we'll get to host the Grand Final ;)

Awaits influx of afl hatred comments......

AwFL

• Like 1

like all i'm taking it 1 game at a time.  it would be pretty disappointing to get into the finals on the back of a team getting thrown out as opposed to us actually earning it.

that said, Brisbane have been pretty shit this season against top 6 teams.  

comparing how each team performs against all other top 6 teams (and including the Perth results for all intensive purposes since they have been a top 3 side for the season), Brisbane have picked up 15 points from a possible 39 in "top 6" fixtures.

when you consider they have beaten Adelaide 3 times, it means Brisbane have only earned 6 points from a possible 30 against the remaining top 6 sides. that equates to a 1 win and 3 draws in 10 games.  

thats not to say Brisbane's efforts against Adelaide should be discredited, rather that every side tends to have a bogey team that they just cant seeming beat.

just look at us and Central Coast.

so i am taking their recent form with a grain of salt. 

as much as i love seeing the tards lose, i think Brisbane are actually up against a fair bit.

Edited by mattyh001