Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Know nothing about him, obviously pretty good to be playing at Inter and he's just 29. Wait and see what happens. 

Can play full back and as a wide midfielder. Not sure that he'd offer anything special...

1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Apparently, according too ESPN, Nagatomo (the guy from Inter) may be our marquee next season.

Link?

19 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Nagatomo plus Zullo wouldn't be ideal.

Zullo's contract finishes at season's end because he wants to return to Europe. However because of his injuries he has effectively used the club as a rehabilitation centre whilst being paid. Yes he has had some good cameos but I am not optimistic that he will remain injury free and at best he may regain full fitness by the time the finals come around. And then he will be off.

So the idea of Nagatomo and Zullo playing together is unlikely to happen next season. If Koren departs and the marquee spot becomes available then that is a real possibility. But I will wait to see if that eventuates.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Hopefully we get a coach who has some tactical flexibility and we don't stick with any single formation no matter what

There is nothing wrong with sticking to a single formation all season, the real issue is the selection of players and more importantly the role they are instructed to play within the formation.

As someone said earlier our 3 5 2 quickly became a 5 3 2 this is because of the players selected and roles they were playing. I think it was you OR Niko or JW who said it was because our wingbacks tended to play too defensive.

There's nothing inherently right or wrong about any formation, they all offer strengths and vulnerabilities. I agree completely that it depends on the players and the roles they play in what is a nominal formation anyway. For instance often a team will have a different attacking and defensive formation. Players roles and movement within the nominal formation are even more important.

It all depends on whether any formation offers solutions to the problems a team will face and can create problems for the opposition.

Edited by belaguttman

Rumour today from "The Secret Agent":

City Swoop for another Aussie

By The Secret Agent

18 January 2016

Within a week of signing Anthony Caceres, Manchester City have made another move for Australian talent.

I can exclusively reveal that Australian Institute of Sport midfielder Daniel Arzani is on his way to Manchester.

I am led to believe that City scouts think so highly of him that they have flown both Arzani and his father over to the UK for a trial.

With sister Club Melbourne City providing detailed intel, I expect these types of player raids to continue.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4691656-daniel-arzani-manchester-city-move-the-secret-agent/slide/428633

A tweet Daniel Arzani made a few days ago seems to support the above report:

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

They obviously think that there's some undeveloped talent here

There is that much talent in the country being ruined by second rate so called jnr coaches, clubs & club presidents. Having been involved in clubs and seeing first hand of this happen. Its actually really sad. 

Edited by AntiScum

This Arzani kid is quality. loan back to Melbourne for continued development and A league opportunity with regular top ups in Man city would be ideal. There are other quality lads in Melbourne Citiy youth ranks who have Oz rep experience. I think this is the start of good things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

The Nagatomo article says that he wants to move to be closer to his family in Japan. Melbourne is just as far from Japan as Italy, he's going to the J-League.

The time zones are a killer though. So right now the time difference between Melbourne and Japan are 2 hours so he can skype his family everyday at just about any time without it being an issue. When the time difference is 8 hours or so then that becomes a logistical exercise. A flight from Rome to Tokyo is 12 hours compared to 10 hours from Melbourne. If you depart Rome at 8pm then you arrive in Tokyo at about 3pm. Leave Melbourne at what ever time in the evening arrive in Tokyo about 7am with the full day ahead.

But I do agree with you that it is likely that his preferred destination would be the J-League.

11 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

It's as if Manchester have exclusive rights to Australian talent, right now.

I think even the most pro-city of us didnt realise the extent to which resources and opportunities will come our way.

Unlike other english clubs, city really is investing in the themselves and the sport for the future. An academy to rivals barcas, still to do this day poaching barca and spanish coaches - purchasing clubs around the world, funding training bases.

I know somebody who went out there in an official capacity - word is Gombau is our next coach and will probably bring a player or 2 with him from Adelaide days. I mean think about that - how many clubs in the world can pinch the coach they want from the league, take him to the home base and 'coach the coach' and get him into the system for 12 months, start looking at players etc, then hopefully bring him in with a relatively seamless transition.

On these players - in relation to the cap, can anything stop City buying saying Caceras like they have, keep him 'training' for 6 months and pay him 2 million pound, with the agreement he plays for Melbourne City for x seasons on 100K under the cap etc.

4 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

I think even the most pro-city of us didnt realise the extent to which resources and opportunities will come our way.

Unlike other english clubs, city really is investing in the themselves and the sport for the future. An academy to rivals barcas, still to do this day poaching barca and spanish coaches - purchasing clubs around the world, funding training bases.

I know somebody who went out there in an official capacity - word is Gombau is our next coach and will probably bring a player or 2 with him from Adelaide days. I mean think about that - how many clubs in the world can pinch the coach they want from the league, take him to the home base and 'coach the coach' and get him into the system for 12 months, start looking at players etc, then hopefully bring him in with a relatively seamless transition.

On these players - in relation to the cap, can anything stop City buying saying Caceras like they have, keep him 'training' for 6 months and pay him 2 million pound, with the agreement he plays for Melbourne City for x seasons on 100K under the cap etc.

Is that Gombau word something you have received from inside the club? Or just what is occasionally floated around here 

11 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

word was from there, and to me the most interesting thing was that he was there, at CityHQ and not USA as stated when he left Adelaide.

You never know though, JVS wins the league, it's a bit hard to move him on etc. 

They seem to love Spanish youth coaches apparently.

I reckon the target they have set JVS this season is impossibly high deliberately so they can sack him at the end of the season.

of course I have no evidence for this but they went to Gombau first and he knocked them back so they re appointed JVS and then there were the comments earlier in the season where Munn publicly questioned him. To me that all points to Gombau replacing JVS at some point.

one thing is for sure. We won't win anything under JVS

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon the target they have set JVS this season is impossibly high deliberately so they can sack him at the end of the season.

of course I have no evidence for this but they went to Gombau first and he knocked them back so they re appointed JVS and then there were the comments earlier in the season where Munn publicly questioned him. To me that all points to Gombau replacing JVS at some point.

one thing is for sure. We won't win anything under JVS

We're in with a genuine chance this year.

4 minutes ago, JC22 said:

We're in with a genuine chance this year.

This window will determine how well we do this year, if we don't strengthen our defence and acquire another attacking threat, we won't win anything.  We will continue to conceded 2-3 goals a game while we will usually end up drawing the games cause we can't hold a lead. 

21 minutes ago, haz said:

This window will determine how well we do this year, if we don't strengthen our defence and acquire another attacking threat, we won't win anything.  We will continue to conceded 2-3 goals a game while we will usually end up drawing the games cause we can't hold a lead. 

Agree to a point. Bring us Vidic pls.

However, the A-League's top six system, combined with the openness of this year, means that we're definitely in with a chance. Even if our squad remains as it is.

We were one game away from making the Final last year, and we were comparatively very shit last year compared with this year. And Victory were much better.

58 minutes ago, haz said:

Another attacking threat? 

Are Bruno and Harry not doing it for you? 

We need a WF, CB, and a creator to help out Mooy and let Bruno and Harry concentrate on scoring. 

I wish MC would actually let us know who they are talking to because I am getting really nervous atm, don't want another season full of potential and no result.

This transfer period is so crucial for us.

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We need a WF, CB, and a creator to help out Mooy and let Bruno and Harry concentrate on scoring. 

I wish MC would actually let us know who they are talking to because I am getting really nervous atm, don't want another season full of potential and no result.

This transfer period is so crucial for us.

They won't let us know, of course, because if they let us know they alert everyone else and risk getting trumped at the last moment. But I'd say everyone shares your frustration - we keep logging on only to find no concrete news.

1 hour ago, millm103 said:
24 minutes ago, millm103 said:

Dekker/Mauk/Caceres?? You do realise we have a salary cap 

Mauk and Caceras are our depth in the midfield, that's for certain. 

We need an injury replacement for Gameiro (who was meant to be our 3rd forward in the starting 11) then either Williams leaves and we use his salary for a CB or use our guest spot on a CB. 

Problem solved 

Edited by haz

• jw1739 pinned this topic