Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 minute ago, HeartOfCity said:

Think this is great, big bold move! Glad we got to see a bit of Mauk's development bare fruit this season I wish him luck and hope he skips town to head overseas ato seasons end.

I know, I know... I think I was just so comfortable with the idea of the Malik/Williams swap, now it actually feels like we're losing something ahaha

• Like 2

Absolutely ridiculous decision to let Mauk go. As one of our brightest and up coming players he has taken his opportunity this season and run with it. One of our stand out performers this season he has finally seemed to be living up to his obvious potential. Even if we were to lose him in the off season it would be due to the transfer clause being triggered meaning a payout for the club. Losing him to Adelaide for free is the way I see it. Would be happy with losing Williams but losing this talent in Mauk is daylight robbery. Fuck off JVS

• Like 1

At first, I thought why the fuck would you trade Mauk?!

But when you think about it, if Mauk was to start regularly, he'd leave to overseas immediately anyway. And Malik will fill a position which we need to strengthen but if he fails to stay fit, then this move would be horrible.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hakz7 said:

At first, I thought why the fuck would you trade Mauk?!

But when you think about it, if Mauk was to start regularly, he'd leave to overseas immediately anyway. And Malik will fill a position which we need to strengthen but if he fails to stay fit, then this move would be horrible.

A. Mauk is an Adelaide boy makes sense he wants some time at home before euro move.

B. We have Caceras and soon to be announced Fitzgerald as replacements.

C. Malik is probably not in the immediate window to shoot off overseas and he plays a position we are in desperate need of help. Plus he could be a decent short/long term prospect staying for 2-3 seasons.

• Like 1

Ok this is actually a great move. Malik at his best was the best defender in the A league. Think back was it 2 years? Mauk is a good young honest player but plays a spot were we have an abundance of talent. We need defenders this is the type of move that sets you apart. Love it!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

I know, I know... I think I was just so comfortable with the idea of the Malik/Williams swap, now it actually feels like we're losing something ahaha

I would've been happier with Williams going to. And yeah feels like for a change we are loosing someone good instead of getting rid of someone shit 

• Like 1

Honestly not sure what to think I know people say if we're letting him we must know he has plans of going overseas but if he's willing to sign for Adelaide he's obviously going to play out the season and you'd presume he's stay there for atleast a full season I genuinely just think this is a move to improve the current position of the team.

a big call but if we're genuine about winning the league this season it's probably the right one. I do feel we'd get more seasons out  Malik than we would Mauk. Malik does have the potential to re-become the best centre half in the league.

We had several players you could bracket with Mauk, these include garrucio, retre, zullo, Fitzgerald(when announced) and caceras to a degree. All defensive players who are currently available. Clisby, Kisnorbo, and Hughes are currently our defensive stocks (both kisnorbo and Hughes be considerably slow for cb's) adding Malik gives us more defensive options. While I feel Mauk has improved this season I feel as many have stated if he does really take off he is more incline to want to move overseas.

Edited by drewmelbcity

Might sound stupid, but I wonder how much this would affect players like Retre, Melling and Gooch mentally, considering they have grown up and lived together for most of their lives?

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

No, you've missed the plot. Once we have Malik and Mauk gets to Adelaide, Manchester City trigger the release clause and sign Mauk and then loan him back to us...so we get both players.

Would be absolute gold if this happend! Could see Pignata loosing his shit now

Mauk is no way near ready to go overseas. Refer to Mooy. 

Malik is a quality cb if fit. My only concern is that he's injured.

Possible decent trade if both players get on the pitch. 

What I do like is the actual trade period. We are going hard and appear to know what we're doing. Regardless of the results at least we're having a crack.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No, you've missed the plot. Once we have Malik and Mauk gets to Adelaide, Manchester City trigger the release clause and sign Mauk and then loan him back to us...so we get both players.

Best thing read today 

• Like 1

Nah really really dont like it, after a couple of seasons of seeing mauk produce not much he shows plenty this year and we ship him off.

I like Malik but not for mauk, as I don't believe he is ready to go to Europe. He doesn't do anything spectacular yet, Awer Mabil wasn't ready but at least he was lightning quick separating him from others.

Gutted at first, but this deal makes perfect sense. 

Mauk is heading overseas at season's end, and it's not like he's going to be missed on-field for 6 months as we've just signed Caceres. 

Malik will be with us for a long time (assuming his performance justifies it). He also fills a need and gives us a greater chance of winning silverware this season. 

As someone previously posted, massive statement of intent. 

Signing an injury prone Malik and getting rid  of a fan favourite and super talent. No thanks

However, it does make some sense seeing he's probably going to Europe come seasons end and it appears our new marquee will be a midfielder, which along with Caceres and Fitzgerald leaves Mauks' posisitions pretty full

• jw1739 pinned this topic