Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

FFA just anounced changes to salary cap rules. I wonder if this will effect our recruiting.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed significant changes to the Hyundai A-League Salary Cap and Player Roster framework with the release of the 2015/16 Hyundai A-League Player Contract Regulations.

The changes are aimed at giving clubs more flexibility in assembling and retaining squads, rewarding youth development and long term player loyalty while significantly increasing the capability of clubs to invest more money on its Player Roster.

The following changes have been implemented:

· A Loyalty Player allowance has been included to give clubs a sliding scale of Salary Cap relief for players who have played between 5-10 years at the club. The total amount that can be spent on Loyalty Players is $200,000 outside the Salary Cap.

· Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary.

· The existing Home Grown Player allowance outside the Salary Cap has lifted from $150,000 to $200,000. Each Club can include three players who started their careers with the Club, either through the Youth System of the Hyundai A-League squad.

· The two Marquee Players (which sit outside the Salary Cap) can now be two foreigners, two Australians or one Australian and one foreigner. This has changed from Two Marquee Players whereby at least one must be Australian.

· Salary Cap Banking will allow clubs to carry over money not spent inside the Salary Cap in the previous two seasons to the following season, up to 105% of the Salary Cap in the relevant contract year.

· The Salary Cap floor (minimum amount that needs to be spent) lifts from 85% to 90%.

· The length of the maximum stint for a Guest Player has increased from 10 to 14 weeks.

· The Minimum Annual Salary for players aged over 21 years has risen from $51,000 to $55,000.

“The Player Contract Regulations changes offer significantly increased salary opportunities for players as well as providing flexibility and rewards for clubs who plan their roster around Marquee Players, youth development and long term loyalty to its players,” said Head of Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun.

“These changes will allow clubs to bring talented players through their expanding youth systems, retain cult heroes like Melbourne Victory’s Archie Thompson and continue to search for Marquee and Guest Players that can add impact to the continued growth of the Hyundai A-League.

“We believe these changes allow flexibility for the Hyundai A-League clubs with different objectives and structure the opportunity to build their rosters to suit their individual needs, while adding benefits at both ends of a player’s career.

“On top of these changes, FFA continues to work with the PFA to finalise a Collective Bargaining Agreement that will ensure player salary growth increases in line with the growth of the sport.”

2015/16 Salary Cap breakdown:

Salary category

Cost

Increase

Salary Cap                          

$2.55 million

-

Salary Cap floor (85% to 90%)

$2.29 million

$127,500

Salary Cap Banking

$127,500 maximum

Up to $127,500

Home Grown Players (3 players)

$200,000

$50,000

Loyalty Players (unlimited players)

$200,000

$200,000

Mature Age Rookie

$55,000 minimum

$55,000 minimum

Two Marquee Players

Unlimited

-

One Guest Player (Up to 14 weeks)

Unlimited

-

Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/ffa-makes-changes-to-a-league-salary-cap-regulations/isnaumwlkmhj1vyywqy5lcn3g#LXBu6VH0FmxE39qR.99

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2

Making these changes during the off season/towards the end? :droy:

why wouldn't of the changes been made as soon as last season finished?

AFAIK there were ongoing negotiations between the PFA and FFA in regards to a new collective bargaining agreement for players as the previous agreement expired. PFA obviously wanted more for the players and FFA refused to budge, which is why negotiations took so long. It seems that they have come to an agreement, in regards to A-league salary-cap issues at least.

Edited by bellydrum

With Mooy gone to Marquee any chance of moving Koren inside the cap? And then signing another Marquee player? Preferably a right winger

Depends on how much he's on.

If he was on 500k, and assuming Mooy was on 300k they might be able to squeeze him in at the cost of a smaller squad. Would be very tight tho

I think Koren is on 600k+ 

With Williams the only non Visa player that can be paid 200k out of the salary as of 16/17 season and only 27years old I would keep him. Honestly if it wasn't for the 200k out of the salary I would throw him in the bin, but since we only have him and Germano turning 5 after this season it could be worth it.

Even if it was possible I'd rather just keep Koren as marquee, he looks like he will have a better season, and then get some more players under the cap. Too risky to try bring Koren under the cap at the expense of depth just to bring in another marquee who will most likely have his career ruined by JVS and end up a flop.

Edited by Tesla

With Mooy gone to Marquee any chance of moving Koren inside the cap? And then signing another Marquee player? Preferably a right winger 

Depends on how much he's on.

If he was on 500k, and assuming Mooy was on 300k they might be able to squeeze him in at the cost of a smaller squad. Would be very tight tho

I think Koren is on 600k+ 

With Williams the only non Visa player that can be paid 200k out of the salary as of 16/17 season and only 27years old I would keep him. Honestly if it wasn't for the 200k out of the salary I would throw him in the bin, but since we only have him and Germano turning 5 after this season it could be worth it.

with the subtle rule changes, IMO there is a solid chance Koren can be convert into a player paid under the cap.  with Williams contract status freeing up 200k and the extra 50k from the 'home grown' change to add to the 300k of freed space from Mooy, the club has the wriggle room.

it comes down to if CFG have signed Sorensen as the final visa player or not.  

i cant see another Aussie player being brought in as a marquee, so it depends how far down the track the Sorensen deal is. that said, CFG seems rather cautious so them wanting to spend extra money on another marquee is another question.

Still think we are short of a good midfielder (if we are serious about chasing the title), especially with Melling with a long term injury.

As I see it starting 3: Mooy, Melling, Paartalu

Back up: Retre, Mauk, Koren

Not sure where he fits: Garrucio

Retre has come on heaps but without Melling he needs to be one of the top 10 midfielders in the league.  That's a big step.

Last year was a write off for Mauk and thus this year is make a break, but he needs to make the big step from "promising kid" to "starting A League level".  Can he?

I've written Koren off completely (if he plays like last year I don't think he should be anywhere near the first team) but the Man City game gave me some hope that he might be at least worth of a starting spot this time around, however I think we'd be foolish to count on that happening.

All in all I'd therefore prefer we used our 5th visa spot on a midfielder of starting quality.  Someone with the defensive strength to support Paartalu and the attacking skills to support Mooy.    

I'm going to take a guess - Williams on $250k, Germano on $100k, Mooy on $300k and say Marino on $50k. Therefore $700k previously under the cap, now $150k under the cap (taking out $200k loyalty, Mooy marquee, $50k home grown player).

If Koren is on $500k - fit him under and you have an extra $200k by shuffling around at status quo. The new guys getting signed will have to already be fitting under the cap as these rules had not come out yet, so we assume City aren't silly enough to overpay the cap - so I assume Tando and Novillo gets a payrise and Kisnorbo stays the same, I think it is achievable to open up a marquee spot.

Edited by pattyd89

I doubt that we'll see too much shuffling within the City playing squad for the forthcoming season. IMO first because the club is pretty happy with the progress made so far, secondly because the rule changes have come rather late in our squad formation process, and thirdly because we will see further significant changes in the squad at the conclusion of this season. I expect Kisnorbo, Hughes, Koren, Williams and Brown to all be released at the end of 2015/16, probably also Marino, and possibly also Clisby and Mauk. I also expect that if Garuccio can't get himself fit and on the park efforts will be made to terminate his contract. So those changes will leave plenty of room for further strengthening of the squad.

Edited by jw1739

He signed a new deal which was a pay cut and then he was no longer marquee. So probably around the 200k mark. Before that he was marquee but probably only in light of being the highest paid Australian, so probably 300k. Let's not forget this was in poverty Heart days where just needing to use our marquee spot was a good thing. 

He had a very good season at Fury just before we signed him, and from what I remember everyone was very pleased that we had signed him, even as Australian marquee. Then he went downhill.  Just another career ruined by JVS and JA. 

Edited by Tesla

Again not from any source Jimmy, just when he Signed his last contract there was talk it was over 350k 

if you look at my comments I get a few likes down the bottom, don't know why your having s crack for...

ROFL - Mate some very very average posts have gotten a lot of likes on here... like "The Terrace Inclusive Act of 2014" for one.

Edited by cadete

He signed a new deal which was a pay cut and then he was no longer marquee. So probably around the 200k mark. Before that he was marquee but probably only in light of being the highest paid Australian, so probably 300k. Let's not forget this was in poverty Heart days where just needing to use our marquee spot was a good thing. 

He had a very good season at Fury just before we signed him, and from what I remember everyone was very pleased that we had signed him, even as Australian marquee. Then he went downhill.  Just another career ruined by JVS and JA. 

I was sure he was on 350k before he re-signed.

I think it was reported somewhere.

Agree that Willo is somewhere in the 200 - 400k range. Was resigned after almost winning the golden boot in a wooden spoon side. Was previously marquee. 

The whole thing is a massive indictment on our recruitment strategies from day one. 

Let's hope he finds that sort of form again and that we fire on all cylinders for the next season!

So are we getting a proper guest player this year who actually stays on for his 10 games, ie Pirlo? 

• jw1739 pinned this topic