Melbourne Football

Round 11: Melbourne Derby, Sat 20th Dec 7:30pm

Murfy1

Great win for the lads.

The best 90 minutes we have played this season and probably the best since I have been watching them since January.

I though Chapman was superb after a nervy start. Garuccio was great from the start. Which I believe rubbed off in Kisnorbo who probably played the best game I have seen him play.

We struggled in the 1st half up front, but had a few chances in the second half.

Mooy and Melling were great in the midfield chasing down everything and winning most things.

Maybe Melling should have been sent off, but the ref should have intervened long before that.

Brown, gave more than Ramsay, and Koren's little cameo showed he has the time and class to make a difference.

Most players played well. Although Hoffmans defending and Ramsay's crossing were very suspect.

But who cares? As we beat the TARDS :)

Let's have this intensity from here on in, there is no excuse now for anyone to play badly and stay in the team.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 5

The big difference with the team now is the fact JVS has been forced to play the young players like Chapman, Garuccio and Melling.

Thisi s why our intensity was so good for the 93 minutes.

We have pace in the forward areas to worry most teams, just need to improve the final ball and finishing.

Then we have one of the best players in the league in Aaron Mooy.

The big difference with the team now is the fact JVS has been forced to play the young players like Chapman, Garuccio and Melling.

We have pace in the forward areas to worry most teams, just need to improve the final ball and finishing.

Just hope Mooy doesn't move away to NY City or shit like that. We fucking need him!

Never felt so ambivalent about a derby. Our form, our year, our injuries, rolling the dice on an injured older marquee, Duff most likely missing, their form, our coach, our defence, the Villa farce, the tifo farce. Hard to get fired up with all the crap that's been going on. The expression "learned helplessness" comes to mind.

Kids keen and missus keen and we'll be there. Santa give us a chop-out and arrive five days early. We've all been "good" and "nice" and Muscat is a prick. Make it happen!!!

THERE REALLY IS A SANTA CLAUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Their "goal" was offside when played.

Chapman shaky early but the one thing that was clearly different was his closing speed - he's lightning quick and changes the back four immensely. Garruccio not a natural LB obviously, but also quick and a better motor than Ramsay. Still our weakness and Barbarouses had his measure clearly, but to his credit he persisted. Tando take a bow and Mooy and Melling showed the grunt and mongrel we've been missing since Sroj - and have the advantage of having class! Koren clearly underdone and Williams and Ramsay usual lol moments. Good goal from Paartalu but I'm concerned at times how far forward he pushes in general play - needs to be organised a bit better with Melling especially not wise to covering quite yet. He'll learn. Lucky not to be sent off too and wouldn't be surprised if the video review results in punishment - as said above a good ref would have stopped the problem earlier but that won't help him.

We were the better team I thought but it could have gone either way. Take the Christmas present early! And loved Berisha's yellow after the final whistle. He is a competitor but showed a distinct lack of class at the end which consistently lets him down.

Edited by Defibrillator

Mooy has been classy week in week out and that Melling boy can hold his head high. He just contests for the ball at every opportunity. We really did boss the midfield tonight. Williams is just not up to it. Getting Jesus into the team is gonna be a sight for sore eyes :)

Despite it being a fairly even game that probably deserved a draw, WE WON, and what a delicious win it was. Normally we cop those goals and don't score them.

Positives:

A cohesive effort, we looked much more balanced. Midfield press was very good tonight but movement off the ball into attacking transition needs to improve.

Defence was solid, Chapman is our best CB since Madaschi although he needs to improve his forward balls as they are too inaccurate. It's the start of our attack. Kisnorbo looks more confident with Chapman and Tando

Tando - good game, commanded his box and looked confident.

Paartalu playing back into form, his best game for us tonight, better positioning and clean tackles, stayed in the game for 90 minutes

Mooy - good in the first half, patchy in the second

Melling - good passion, good positioning, not afraid to shoot. Close to getting a second yellow. A well deserved first yellow for not elbowing that little turd Brougham hard enough.

Koren - he got on the pitch and didn't leave on a stretcher. Had some good touches

Negatives:

​Again, dominated the first half with the usual poor finishing, for once we didn't get punished. We should have been leading.

Lost some intensity again in the second half.

Hoffman shown up all night by Ben Ben, he's no RB against a competent winger.

Ramsay - what can I say, he had a chance to prove that he belongs in the attacking half of the team. He doesn't.

Mate and Williams - nope. Poor touch, poor finishing.

I'll take the 3 points but lets see us do it against a physical team that isn't Victory or Roar.

• Like 2

I've been to all 5 of our wins against the tards but this one takes the cake. A lot of frustration finally released. We played with passion and like a team for once. Chapman.. get in my face you legend. Tando is a god. Archi beats up his wife. Berisha is a cry baby. Loved seeing koren get some minutes finally. He and duff will team up to make something special.

• Like 2

The first derby has always been my favourite. Until now. This was the sweetest of them all.

Out of likes.

What a win.  In 2 games we've gone from a joke to the Christmas Kings!  Not much in the game and though it was an electric atmosphere, the football wasn't the best, BUT who cares!  We probably edged them in a close game, but in the end our aerial threat was what got us home.

Such a good feeling knowing we have put them back in their box.  

PS we all knew Mooy was a great signing, but the relative unknowns of Melling and Chapman have been master strokes.