Melbourne Football

Round 11: Melbourne Derby, Sat 20th Dec 7:30pm

Murfy1

One thing we still do worse is heading the ball to a team mate.  

Most times we just aim to head the ball with no thought of where its going.  Kisnorbo is a big culprit-they clear with a long ball out, Paddy has  a free header, Chappy and Gooch all clear where a simple nod of the head to their feet would retain possession but no, Paddy just gets the ball looping over our mids to their midfielder...its not just paddy, it actually happens all over the pitch.  

Fix this JVS!

Most times we just aim to head the ball with no thought of where its going.  Kisnorbo is a big culprit-they clear with a long ball out, Paddy has  a free header, Chappy and Gooch all clear where a simple nod of the head to their feet would retain possession but no, Paddy just gets the ball looping over our mids to their midfielder...its not just paddy, it actually happens all over the pitch.  

Fix this JVS!

I have been arguing this from season 1. And I suspect that I will still be arguing for this next season.

Fix this JVS!

I have been arguing this from season 1. And I suspect that I will still be arguing for this next season.

Just in general we're bad in the air. How often do we actually win headers (and then get the ball somewhere useful)? So frustrating.

Most times we just aim to head the ball with no thought of where its going. Kisnorbo is a big culprit-they clear with a long ball out, Paddy has a free header, Chappy and Gooch all clear where a simple nod of the head to their feet would retain possession but no, Paddy just gets the ball looping over our mids to their midfielder...its not just paddy, it actually happens all over the pitch.

Fix this JVS!

Just in general we're bad in the air. How often do we actually win headers (and then get the ball somewhere useful)? So frustrating. The headers definitely need some work that's for sure. Who knows, by round 22 we will have that ironed out!

We finally fixed back passes on the weekend so you never know! One step at a time I guess.

Most times we just aim to head the ball with no thought of where its going. Kisnorbo is a big culprit-they clear with a long ball out, Paddy has a free header, Chappy and Gooch all clear where a simple nod of the head to their feet would retain possession but no, Paddy just gets the ball looping over our mids to their midfielder...its not just paddy, it actually happens all over the pitch.

Fix this JVS!

Just in general we're bad in the air. How often do we actually win headers (and then get the ball somewhere useful)? So frustrating. We must be watching different games?

I was thinking we were the best aerial team in the league. 5 goals in 10 games, can't recall coinciding 1?

I take the point about ball use but paartalu and kisnorbo are 2 of the best in the league then you add the hoff and chappy and the opposition panics when we win a corner.

Tards never looked dangerous in the air

• Like 2

I thought we were OK in the air. Defenders that is, because Williams and Dugandzic don't offer a lot in that area. For me, our weakness is still the backpassing. There was just a short period towards the end of the Derby (can't remember the exact time so I'll guess with about 5-10 minutes to go) where we started the old bad habit and looked very shaky when we did. Fortunately we didn't go on with it and were really attacking just before we got the winner.

Edited by jw1739

Fix this JVS!

I have been arguing this from season 1. And I suspect that I will still be arguing for this next season. Just in general we're bad in the air. How often do we actually win headers (and then get the ball somewhere useful)? So frustrating. We must be watching different games?

I was thinking we were the best aerial team in the league. 5 goals in 10 games, can't recall coinciding 1?

I take the point about ball use but paartalu and kisnorbo are 2 of the best in the league then you add the hoff and chappy and the opposition panics when we win a corner.

Yeah but in the midfield we are wretched.

Defensive energy key to City victory

December 22, 2014

Melbourne City may have struggled for consistency so far this season, but they produced one of their best performances yet to claim local bragging rights in their 1-0 win over Melbourne Victory. And while Erik Paartalu’s last-minute winner will live long in the memory for City fans, the foundation for their success was their excellent application in defence.

Setting out in a medium block, John van ‘t Schip’s men did a brilliant job of stopping their opponents from playing forwards from the back. This was particularly apparent in the first half, as City initially dropped off to form a compact defensive shape around the halfway line, before then looking for cues to press the Victory defenders in a bid to pinch possession.

Of particular importance to this process were City’s front three. David Williams would initially drop on to Carl Valeri, Victory’s deepest central midfielder, before charging forward onto one of the centre-backs when the opportunity presented itself. Iain Ramsay and Mate Dugandzic, meanwhile, took up positions between the opposition fullbacks and centre-backs, and although they were first tasked with covering the fullbacks, if the ball was on the opposite side and a turnover appeared likely, they would then sprint inside to attack one of Victory’s central defenders.

In order to make this work, of course, City’s midfield unit needed to press high up in support, and with the enthusiastic pairing of Aaron Mooy and Jacob Melling doing just that, this strategy typically proved to be a successful one. Take the 17th minute the match, for example, where Victory right-back Jason Geria found himself not only in possession, but also tight to the touchline.

28u5l3d.jpg

This proved to be City’s trigger to press. Williams launched himself up off Valeri and onto Adrian Leijer, while Ramsay moved quickly to close down Geria. City’s midfielders then moved up in support, and with Geria short of options, he forced a pass towards Nick Ansell on the opposite side of the pitch.

As a result, Dugandzic came inside off the flank to pressure Ansell, and due to a combination of this pressure and Geria’s poor pass, City managed to force a turnover. The end result was a quick transition, and although Ramsay could not provide the finishing touches to the move, this was nonetheless a wonderful illustration of van ‘t Schip’s preferred gameplan.

City’s style was, in fact, very much reminiscent of the gegenpressing approach made famous by Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund side, which also involves a foundation of sitting off before pressing with great enthusiasm. City, of course, have not yet managed to implement this tactic with any great consistency, but this display was positive nonetheless. With an accomplished showing against their crosstown rivals now behind them, as well as the debut of marquee signing Robert Koren, the club will look to use this result as a springboard heading into the New Year and beyond.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/tactical-talking-points-round-11/

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Fix this JVS!

I have been arguing this from season 1. And I suspect that I will still be arguing for this next season. Just in general we're bad in the air. How often do we actually win headers (and then get the ball somewhere useful)? So frustrating. We must be watching different games?

Watch the number of headers that simply go everywhere but to a team mate.  As my 75 year old dad put it:" He just wants his head to hit the ball.  After that its somebody else's problem."

• Like 1

Just watched the full replay again. It's actually hilarious that the tards think that Berisha should have gotten a penalty at the end. They are so convinced they were hard done by by the refs but it's such a clear dive by the albanian cunt. Typical Berisha too, the commentators always go on about his passion and how he knows how to win games when it seems like a lost cause but every time I watch him, the only way he knows how to try and win games at the death is fool the ref into giving an undeserved penalty. 

He's a cheat! thank god the ref wasn't sucked in! The only people dumb enough to believe it was a penalty are the rightly names tards

• Like 1

Just watched the full replay again. It's actually hilarious that the tards think that Berisha should have gotten a penalty at the end. They are so convinced they were hard done by by the refs but it's such a clear dive by the albanian cunt. Typical Berisha too, the commentators always go on about his passion and how he knows how to win games when it seems like a lost cause but every time I watch him, the only way he knows how to try and win games at the death is fool the ref into giving an undeserved penalty.

He's a cheat! thank god the ref wasn't sucked in! The only people dumb enough to believe it was a penalty are the rightly names tards

Yeah, not even he or his teammates asked or appealed for the penalty.

I thought we were OK in the air. Defenders that is, because Williams and Dugandzic don't offer a lot in that area. For me, our weakness is still the backpassing. There was just a short period towards the end of the Derby (can't remember the exact time so I'll guess with about 5-10 minutes to go) where we started the old bad habit and looked very shaky when we did. Fortunately we didn't go on with it and were really attacking just before we got the winner.

I think JVS is trying to fix this. I was constantly watching him and l remember once in particular he went ape shit at Kisnorbo for doing a back pass to the keeper when it wasn't necessary.

I think JVS is trying to fix this. I was constantly watching him and l remember once in particular he went ape shit at Kisnorbo for doing a back pass to the keeper when it wasn't necessary.

Lol. So up until the Derby unnecessary back passes were fine. In fact they were encouraged because they were part of his signature brand of football but now suddenly he is going ape shit when players do it.

Lol. So up until the Derby unnecessary back passes were fine. In fact they were encouraged because they were part of his signature brand of football but now suddenly he is going ape shit when players do it.

Yes.

Yes.

It reminds me of back in high school I had a few teachers that tries to be on the level instead of coming in and immediately drawing a clear line in the sand. Needless to say they lost control of the class and eventually the average grade % was well below par. Of course soon the principal dragged them into the office for a "chat" and the next class would be spent listening to "I tried to be your friend but now it's no more Mr nice guy" lectures. Inevitably things would quickly return to the old ways and the teachers would soon be gone.

Obviously there is a big difference between coaching a pro football team and teaching mid stream high school classes but to try to stamp authority on a group after "molly coddling" them for so long is very difficult. I hope he is able to undo all his shit work and keep the fire I the players

• Like 2

Just got discharged from hospital. Things got out of hand post game, a few mates and I fucked my ass violently with rockets. Anal prolapse has never felt better

Must have been a serious injury since...

It took the doctors 4 days just to wipe the smile off your face