Melbourne Football

Round 11: Melbourne Derby, Sat 20th Dec 7:30pm

Murfy1

So what happened in round 10? You know WSW vs City at Pirtek after WSW returned from Morocco...

will take place in 2015 on March 11 (a Wednesday evening).

sucks if you intended to travel given the previous incarnation was on a Saturday

Thanks for that. I thought that City might be a chance for a draw with WSW returning from Morocco, injuries and player dissent.

So what happened in round 10? You know WSW vs City at Pirtek after WSW returned from Morocco...

will take place in 2015 on March 11 (a Wednesday evening).

sucks if you intended to travel given the previous incarnation was on a Saturday

Thanks for that. I thought that City might be a chance for a draw with WSW returning from Morocco, injuries and player dissent.

the bigger frustration for me is that given how much focus WSW have lost with all their commitments, "discussions" over pay, etc., is that we wont have played them until after the Asian Cup - when and where you'd expect them to get back on track with the month off (aka to take it as a mid season "pre-season" revamp).

i'd imagine that given how well Popavic has both built and kept it together at WSW, they will come back very very strongly.  to play them 3 times in that period ( and to have had no subsequent chance to put them to the sword early on while WSW have been struggling ) will probably be a real pain for a late season charge by City

Edited by mattyh001

I'm not missing this derby, was on the Gold Coast at a work function when the last one was played and didn't see a second of it. Luckily I'll be at an rsl next Saturday for a birthday dinner.

Anyone know the latest on Koren? He'd be a massive boost if we could get him in the side, even off the bench. I guess it's going to take him time anyway to be fully fit.

• Like 1

If you haven't got this player or that player for whatever reason, then you have to do what you can without him. That's what the bloody coach's job is - to get the very best out of the squad he has. If Duff is the only winger we have who can cross the ball that's something we should have addressed years ago. If Williams can't score with an open goal six yards out then again we should have signed someone who can.

As a club we must drop this "saviour" mentality.

If I had the Real Madrid squad I could coach them to the A-League Championship without knowing Spanish and without knowing the first thing about football.

• Like 3

Absolutely. I know first hand about enough coaches that wouldn't have a clue about coaching and have coached teams to success because of very good players in the squad. A couple situations where the coach at half time has told players to simply "sort it out" and not have the slightest clue what to say only for those teams to come out second half and win. Muscat is probably a great example. A team full of experienced winners. Even aloisi could have coached victory this season to be successful, no bullshit.

Edited by n i k o

If you haven't got this player or that player for whatever reason, then you have to do what you can without him. That's what the bloody coach's job is - to get the very best out of the squad he has. If Duff is the only winger we have who can cross the ball that's something we should have addressed years ago. If Williams can't score with an open goal six yards out then again we should have signed someone who can.

As a club we must drop this "saviour" mentality.

If I had the Real Madrid squad I could coach them to the A-League Championship without knowing Spanish and without knowing the first thing about football.

I will once again offer as an example Rado Vidosic who took over a Brisbane Roar that had Berisha, Broich and most of that champion team. They were not successful.

I agree that the saviour mentality has to be erased. Top teams have good, capable players in all positions and some depth to begin with, and then they play like a team. If there is a "saviour" it has to be in the coaching staff. 

• Like 1

As big a cunt as he his, Muscat is a winner.

JVS doesn't seem to have that mongrel mentality, and it reflects in the players' performances.

Loved how Muscat was bleating about how the state of the pitch in north sydney created an unsafe environment for the players (holmes, dugarry, zara anyone?) then has the audacity to defend milligan's chicken wing incident that could've resulted in a permanent facial injury.

We'll know by the end of the season whether he can coach or not (I think making a GF is the minimum pass mark with their squad).

Despite all his hail mary bs the guy has a one way ticket to hell...I hope once there he's forced to eat raw knee ligaments for all eternity

• Like 3

When I read articles like this which say stuff like "Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has been outstanding in the past month" could be forced to the bench for Victory http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/gui-finkler-set-to-return-for-victorys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227155768285 it makes me squirm.

WHO is responsible for our abysmal recruiting? WHO is prepared to put up their hands and admit to stuffing up with our overseas recruiting and our local recruiting so we have a pathetically unbalanced squad with lack of depth, lack of competition for positions and quite a few players so far below A League standard it is not funny.

It's embarrassing when you compare to Victory.

• Like 1

When I read articles like this which say stuff like "Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has been outstanding in the past month" could be forced to the bench for Victory http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/gui-finkler-set-to-return-for-victorys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227155768285 it makes me squirm.

WHO is responsible for our abysmal recruiting? WHO is prepared to put up their hands and admit to stuffing up with our overseas recruiting and our local recruiting so we have a pathetically unbalanced squad with lack of depth, lack of competition for positions and quite a few players so far below A League standard it is not funny.

JD. JVS.

Shambles.

• Like 1

When I read articles like this which say stuff like "Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has been outstanding in the past month" could be forced to the bench for Victory http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/gui-finkler-set-to-return-for-victorys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227155768285 it makes me squirm.

WHO is responsible for our abysmal recruiting? WHO is prepared to put up their hands and admit to stuffing up with our overseas recruiting and our local recruiting so we have a pathetically unbalanced squad with lack of depth, lack of competition for positions and quite a few players so far below A League standard it is not funny.

Yep , true words there

you have to ask the question

but as mentioned so many times before, we are constrained by the salary cap, plus the fact that many players were signed to longer contracts by previous ownership

the player isn't going to say, "sure I'll walk away, without my pay, cos I'm shit and not up to the standard the club needs"

they will stay and collect the pay etc, as it's there livelyhood

I've resigned my self to the fact that we have to look at the end of next season before we can legitimately look at a complete overhaul of this playing list

Yep , true words there

you have to ask the question

but as mentioned so many times before, we are constrained by the salary cap, plus the fact that many players were signed to longer contracts by previous ownership

the player isn't going to say, "sure I'll walk away, without my pay, cos I'm shit and not up to the standard the club needs"

they will stay and collect the pay etc, as it's there livelyhood

I've resigned my self to the fact that we have to look at the end of next season before we can legitimately look at a complete overhaul of this playing list

IMO if you go through the current list the words I have highlighted are not strictly true.

The carry-over contracted players at the start of 2014/15 players were:

Redmayne;

Wielaert;

Murdocca:

Ramsay;

Kalmar;

Mauk;

Garuccio;

Germano;

Dugandzic.

That's 9 out of a possible senior squad of 23+3.

IMO there was a huge opportunity for a rebuild of over half the senior squad. Didulica and van 't Schip didn't take it. So how can we have any faith that they will take the opportunities that will present at the end of the present season?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2