Melbourne Football

RD 4 City V Adelaide 7:30pm Friday 31st October.

Dylan

does anyone else always have a really tough time loading the ffa websites? takes for ever for me, whether I'm on mobile or desktop.

Yeah it's a pretty bad and slow website, and the videos don't play very well. I'd rather post Youtube videos, but the club has been very slow recently to upload videos on Youtube (for example, Kisnorbo's press conference reflecting on the round 1 1-1 draw against Sydney was just uploaded yesterday).

still didn't load in all this time, ended up watching it over on foxsports, thanks for the link though Murf

I really want to see Germano get some game time tomorrow.  I haven't always been his biggest fan (too injured, too inconsistent under "he who must not be named") but his form at the end of last year won me over.

He either played 45 minutes for the NYL because he wasn't ready for more or because the club figured he'd find away to injure himself if on the field long enough.  if it was the latter, he'll start, if the former he'll come off the bench. 

In any case i see the inclusion of him, Garuccio and Williams as 3 big ins.  

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

Van 't Schip challenge to City squad: show you can do it for 90 minutes

October 30, 2014

Michael Lynch

Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip has thrown down the gauntlet to his embattled squad as it prepares for a crucial clash with unbeaten Adelaide United on Friday night: "Toughen up, stop being mentally weak and win ugly if you have to" is the message from the Dutchman as the game looms.

City has taken two points out of a possible nine in its opening three games, a far lower haul than most pundits expected – and certainly less than the club's Middle Eastern paymasters would be happy with.

The team, bolstered by World Cup winner and former Spanish international David Villa and English Premier League champion and ex-Irish international Damien Duff, has had to come from behind twice to salvage draws against Sydney and Newcastle.

It did take the lead – twice – in the Melbourne derby against Victory last weekend, but collapsed in alarming fashion in the second half as the navy blues piled on three goals without reply to run out 5-2 winners.

It is the lack of commitment and accountability and the failure to play for 90 minutes that rankles with van 't Schip, himself a former Dutch international who played at the highest levels at both club and national team level.

City has now not won in its last nine matches. It lost four of its last six and drew two in the run-in to the last A-League season (when it was known as Heart) in addition to its two draws and a defeat this year. Its last win was when it humbled Victory in the final derby of the 2013-14 season 4-0, but Kevin Muscat's team gained spectacular revenge at Etihad Stadium last Saturday night.

As van 't Schip likes to remind journalists, every game is a pressure game. But the stakes will continue to rise as long as City does not start winning, given the expectation that now lies on his club.

"Is important ... we all know that we have to bounce back after the derby and I expressed that the way we play is not the problem," he says. "But we have to show character, playing good football is not only about having the ball and making nice moves, it's also about being determined and knowing what's needed to get results and win games.

"We have to get more clinical and professional in all kinds of aspects,and that's a process of growing. We have to start getting that quicker into the team."

He was particularly disappointed that City players seemed to lose focus either side of the half-time break, when Victory scored two goals inside a minute.

"Everybody was disappointed by the reaction but it's past and we have to learn from it."

He was also quick to point out that there were plenty of positive things that his team was producing. "Don't forget the things that we are doing well. If you look at the three games we play and divide it into six halves then I think we played five good halves," he said.

"The first half against Sydney and Newcastle were good and we should not forget that when you come behind games change, and we chased the game in both matches and came back to get the equaliser, so that's positive. We had a good first half against Victory, but we have to make sure the second half doesn't happen again."

He deflected any blame from his experienced men – Villa and Duff – but agreed that some of the more unheralded players, those who had spent their life in the A-League, might be struggling to come to terms with the new pressures on them.

"In the end it's a team performance, and everybody has to understand what's needed to get to that. It's interesting for us. We don't have to make this a big thing, but it's a growth process for us. We know that, the expectation is already different this year because of the change of name and owners and getting some players in that have a high pedigree. You know that people will look and write differently and they have every right to.

"We have to get used to the expectations of being one of the teams that has to win. That's a different approach to being one of the teams like in the past, the underdog who did well. Opponents are now approaching us differently because of players with big names. Everybody is motivated differently now.

"There's always this extra thing people get out of themselves when they play against a certain opponent. It's certainly the case we had in the first three games and it will continue. We have to have our weapons to deal with that as well."

Makeshift left-back Iain Ramsay had a torrid evening at the hands of Kosta Barbarouses last weekend, but van 't Schip said he had faith in all the players he selected. Nonetheless, left-sided midfielder Ben Garuccio, who has been injured, is available and could be an alternative to Ramsay, if not now then later in the season.

Argentinian utility Jonatan Germano, another to have been out since the beginning of the campaign, played in the youth team last week and is also likely to figure at some point against an Adelaide side which has impressed van 't Schip.

"They are playing good football. Josep [Gombau] has put a team out that has made progress in the year," he said. "In the start it was difficult, they were playing good football but not getting the results they maybe deserve. But sticking to their belief and the way they play now, the results are coming from that philosophy. The way they play is very fluent, attacking and entertaining. We are not far from that."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/van-t-schip-challenge-to-city-squad-show-you-can-do-it-for-90-minutes-20141030-11e8k7.html

Agree, it is never acceptable to start a half that sloppy, in the way that they conceded 20 seconds after the restart. Also, the lack of fightback immediately after that 46' minute goal was truly disappointing.

As numerous people pointed out in pre-season, there needs to be a total mentality shift with most of the squad (who played over the past season or two). Not for a moment can that infamous 'if we win we win, if we lose we lose' attitude take hold over any of the players in the team. It'll be interesting to see how and when that team attitude change fully comes about, so that the team behaves in the manner expected by CFG, and which players step up to get that clinical, professional and winning attitude, and which players don't.  

High-pressure match for us. And for JvS - you can see he's feeling it because he's fallen back on to his more established players instead of the youngsters. If we're to be competitive this season we have to take points over the next four matches, three of them at home.

Once again you go down the two squads and IMO Adelaide are more creative in midfield and have more firepower up front.

KK is right. We have too many who wouldn't get a gig at another A-League club.

I'm nervous. I think we can win this only if we take our opportunities and establish a good lead by half-time.

Lack of Marino is such a disappointment. The guy needs minutes at the top level.

Agree, but not in round 4 after 2 draws and a loss.

Marino > Mate. Mate needs a swift foot up the arse and some time in the Youth team. He's become our own Nicky Ward, the occasional flash of brilliance followed by endless mediocrity.

• Like 2

Fozz says we ain't gonna win coz Ramsay will get skinned again. Hey JVS, make sure Ramsay doesn't play this week. Doesn't he have to stack shelves at Woolies tomorrow night?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/348605507805/Fozz-looks-forward-to-City-v-the-Reds

He says that Aaron Ramsay will not cope at left back - I wish! I'm sure that Aaron Ramsay would have better technique and defensive positioning than Iain Ramsay.

• Like 1

Lack of Marino is such a disappointment. The guy needs minutes at the top level.

Agree, but not in round 4 after 2 draws and a loss. Marino > Mate. Mate needs a swift foot up the arse and some time in the Youth team. He's become our own Nicky Ward, the occasional flash of brilliance followed by endless mediocrity.

Maybe, but that's a call based on potential since he hasn't proved anything yet.

He'll get his go after Villa has gone and Williams is right, which wont be this weekend.

Fozz says we ain't gonna win coz Ramsay will get skinned again. Hey JVS, make sure Ramsay doesn't play this week. Doesn't he have to stack shelves at Woolies tomorrow night?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/348605507805/Fozz-looks-forward-to-City-v-the-Reds

He says that Aaron Ramsay will not cope at left back - I wish! I'm sure that Aaron Ramsay would have better technique and defensive positioning than Iain Ramsay.

Germano will play there this weekend.

Germano will play there this weekend.

He's unlikely to play for 90 minutes though :(

Dugandzic needs to do what he does well, and that's moving at full flight at defenders from the wing. Playing him centrally is not his strength and I'm hoping to see him on the wing running at their left fullback.

As for mauk he wasn't training today as far as I know. Maybe there's more than meets the eye with his return from international duties.

Dugandzic needs to do what he does well, and that's moving at full flight at defenders from the wing. Playing him centrally is not his strength and I'm hoping to see him on the wing running at their left fullback.

As for mauk he wasn't training today as far as I know. Maybe there's more than meets the eye with his return from international duties.

Weird isn't it. Move our front three from last week across a position to the right and all of a sudden it looks a lot better.

I've been so traumtised by last week's game that the mere mention of "Ramsay" has me breaking out in a cold sweat and my brain going numb.

Every week so far I have predicted a win (or at least stated that would should win), so much like that episode of Seinfeld where George realized every decision he has ever made was wrong so he did the opposite. I am going to do the same and hope it has the same effect on us.

We will get smashed and lose this by 4 goals

I hope you are going to have chicken salad on rye with a side of potato salad for lunch all this week then :P

Don't forget a cup of tea

It's going to take time to change the team culture, the anxiety of success and the fear of failure get in the way of the team playing as it can. This part is a coaching issue to address, so we'll see what JVS can do. At the end of the day though he can only facilitate the change needed, he can't make the players think differently. 

It's going to take time to change the team culture, the anxiety of success and the fear of failure get in the way of the team playing as it can. This part is a coaching issue to address, so we'll see what JVS can do. At the end of the day though he can only facilitate the change needed, he can't make the players think differently. 

I am sorry but there are countless of examples of A-League sides that went from the league's easybeats one Season to strong final contenders the following Season with nowhere near the amount of money and solid recruiting they we did over the offseason.

Then there was the whole stupid argument that the JVS fanboys love to use to support their Messiah which was that he never got a chance to prove himself with a strong squad and needed money under the old ownership. (Which mind you is simply not true as he had a year and sufficient funds to handpick his initial squad that was rated very highly by most pundits prior to the season).

So now that he has the money and the squad... he apparently needs time???

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Actually, a strong leader does make people think differently.

Actually, a strong leader does make people think differently.

A strong leader can help people think differently but can't make them think differently

I am sorry but there are countless of examples of A-League sides that went from the league's easybeats one Season to strong final contenders the following Season with nowhere near the amount of money and solid recruiting they we did over the offseason.

Then there was the whole stupid argument that the JVS fanboys love to use to support their Messiah which was that he never got a chance to prove himself with a strong squad and needed money under the old ownership. (Which mind you is simply not true as he had a year and sufficient funds to handpick his initial squad that was rated very highly by most pundits prior to the season).

So now that he has the money and the squad... he apparently needs time???

Yes, of course there are, just as there are many reasons why teams have been easy beats. Each requires a different solution, in our case it isn't a solution that can be fixed with money.

got mixed feelings for tonight given how poor we have been.  Adelaide are a good team but then again you could have said the same last season when we drew three games that we probably should have won all three after leading each of them at some stage or another

Thinking of bringing a clove of garlic, rabbits foot, beads, and even sacrificing a chicken if it's looking grim. Hopefully Daisy can be spared her fate :P

a little off topic but always makes me think of the baseball movie Major League, where the team has a Cuban fella whose religion is Voodoo.  long story short is that he wants to sacrifice a chicken in the change rooms before the big game, so the team captains goes out and replaces the chicken with a box of KFC to save face in the locker room.

probably funnier when you watch the film, but amusing all the same

• Like 1

Which is why i believe in the motto:"Don't try to change people.  Change the people"

• Like 1

Which is why i believe in the motto:"Don't try to change people.  Change the people"

That's one way to do it, of course as a group psychotherapist my bias is towards trying to help the people change first.

• Like 1