Melbourne Football

RD 4 City V Adelaide 7:30pm Friday 31st October.

Dylan

I thought the Hoff did very well defensively (apart from one silly foul) on his side Adelaide didn't get any penetration though he left a lot to be desired going forward. Paartalu really needs to drop in between him an Kisnorbo to find a way out of the back third. Wielaert seems to be the only one at the moment able to play a proper ball out of defence and even he struggles most of the time. Also good job to Melburnians getting better every week though were a tad quite after we went down. All in all not the best night but there is always next week with or without JVS.

• Like 1

Now the Villa has left, the attention and questions will now turn to JVS and his coaching position .. This is like the Aloisi days all over again. Players will feel the weight of the coaches position.

CFG the time to act is NOW... We lost 2500 attendants today from the Newcastle game.. We will lose a shit load more after tonight disaster....

Kills me to say it but adel had stacks more away fans which helped the crowd figures. Look the die hards will stay and enjoy the ride to the top (when it happens) but it's time to act now to avoid another JA issue. Btw what did the press conference go like? What did JVS say?

What did JVS say?

- We were unlucky

- We created lots of good chances

- The conditions played a big role in the outcome

etc.

God bless JA's awful press conferences. But I have no idea in all seriousness, JVS is about as exciting as a snail.

Aaron Mooy and Damien Duff were the only players up to A League standard on the field for us tonight. And yes that includes Villa but that is down to attitude and fitness. Mooy is a fucking boss and it's going to hurt a lot when he goes on to better things after this season with our lot, and same with Duff retiring next year.

The funny thing is, even with all the changes, deep down we all knew this was going to happen didn't we? I mean it would just be weird following a good side.

Also fwiw penalty was a dive.

Melbourne City coach calls for professionalism and commitment after loss to Adelaide

October 31, 2014

Michael Lynch

With the powerbrokers and money men from the City Football Group running the rule over their Australian investment on a trip down under in recent days, Melbourne City could ill afford to produce another disappointing result.

But the 2-1 home loss to Adelaide leaves the team near the foot of the table, and coach John van't Schip urging patience, commitment and teamwork for the club to work itself out of a poor start to a campaign in which expectation has been raised to perhaps unrealistic levels.

"Our message is that we have to stick together," the Dutchman said as he reviewed another match in which City failed to capitalise on its opportunities and was found wanting in the clinches.

"The only ones who can get us out of this situation are ourselves. We have to work hard, analyse and fight back."

Van't Schip said before this game that the level of expectation was bearing down on many of his squad, and that's how it looked as they tried to fashion a leveller after the visitors hit the front with a penalty 10 minutes from time.

"We are not strong enough and professional enough to get a win," was his blunt appraisal of a game in which City got off to a good start but simply could not impose itself enough on its opposition, who grew in confidence once they equalised seven minutes before the break.

Spanish World Cup winner David Villa had a huge impact – when he could get the ball.

The ex-Barcelona star was unplayable when he was one-on-one with an opponent: the sad fact for Van't Schip and the City fans is that the rest of the team couldn't get the ball to him often enough for him to wreak the kind of havoc that he had shown himself capable of when he was given the opportunity.

The coach bemoaned his side's inability to move the ball quickly enough or to switch play with the rapidity Villa wanted.

The delays allowed Adelaide to set up its defensive structure and left City reliant on individual efforts, mainly from Villa – or set pieces, which was the avenue that did provide their only goal of the game.

Jonatan Germano was brought in but lasted barely 26 minutes before damaging a hamstring, and the Argentine utility is likely to be missing for several more weeks as a result.

Villa departs for New York now, with Van't Schip saying he does not yet know whether he will be back to see out his guest stint.

The coach would love to see him return – a player of his quality, in the prime of his career, has never played in the A-League and who can blame Van't Schip for wanting to work with him for another six games.

The pity is that fans have only seen in cameo what the Spaniard might truly be capable of.

It seems Melbourne's loss will be New York's gain, especially if Villa stays in the US to train and prepare for the Major League Soccer season that kicks off next March, rather than return to Australia.

Manchester City's football experts knew this would not be as easy as it looks and they have made a long-term commitment. Two points out of 12 is now, it must be assumed, was what they were expecting at this stage of the season.

City has played well in patches in several of its games. Van't Schip's task now is to get the team to put 90 minutes together without any lapses in concentration – beginning with the trip to Brisbane next Saturday evening.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-coach-calls-for-professionalism-and-commitment-after-loss-to-adelaide-20141031-11faac.html

Edited by Murfy1

Aaron Mooy and Damien Duff were the only players up to A League standard on the field for us tonight. And yes that includes Villa but that is down to attitude and fitness. Mooy is a fucking boss and it's going to hurt a lot when he goes on to better things after this season with our lot, and same with Duff retiring next year.

You serious about Mooy? You've got blinkers on! Go and watch a replay and look at it objectively. He gave the ball away so many times and screwed up so many attacks with his poor decision making and passing. Yes he runs around and shows some guts, but at the moment he is a "hog". Instead of getting rid of the ball quickly, he wants to go on mazy runs with little space to see how many players he can beat.

The lad has got great talent, but it trying too hard to do all the work himself. Paartalu, who was one of the best distributors of the ball with Brisbane, hardly gets the ball anymore even when in possession. Mooy hardly uses him when he is free instead trying to take on three guys himself. So Paartalu basically runs side to side covering the middle and does not much else. I can only think that this is some sort of tactic from JVS. Seriously wrong if it is.

We are slow in transition and have to change. The ball can move faster than any player, but we for some reason insist on long 50:50 balls instead of quick passing on the floor.

I thought Redmayne did OK tonight except his infuriating behaviour of collecting the ball and waiting until all our players are marked before distributing the ball. I thought young Garrucio did OK under the circumstances and would play him again in that position.

Lot of frustration in the team. It will be better I think when we lose Villa today, as I think it has stymied the way we really want to play.

Read my previous post Mr JVS. Professionalism is only a one part of the pie.

Villa was great for membership team. Villa wasn't so good for the football department. And what now, that he's left... Rely on Williams? Or the January transfer window? Lol.

We are left with too many questions, not enough answers.

On paper, our personnel can do the job... But the game isn't played on paper.

Captain K is the only shining light. Our best signing by far.

Edited by Deviant

Read my previous post Mr JVS. Professionalism is only a one part of the pie.

Villa was great for membership team. Villa wasn't so good for the football department. And what now, that he's left... Rely on Williams? Or the January transfer window? Lol.

We are left with too many questions, not enough answers.

On paper, our personnel can do the job... But the game isn't played on paper.

Captain K is the only shining light. Our best signing by far.

Can you start the thread for the next round?

It has just been too depressing reading this one!

We play Brisbane next 

This time next week, the Countrys richest club could be bottom of the Table 

Well I feel for all the lads who have gone to the games

Have been there in the past when you wonder if the next win will ever come

If JVS is still there for the Brisbane game he needs to take a chance and bring some of the youngesters into the team and squad.

With our lack of fullbacks I believe it would be better to go with a back three and play wingbacks

So I would have Archibald, Wielhart and Kisnorbo as the three centre halfs

Play Dugandzic (because I think he works hard and there is basically nobody else) and Garuccio as wing backs

Although I don't think Paartalu has been great I would play him wirth Mauk and Mooy ahead of him

My front two would be Duff and Williams (because of his speed)

Have Marino and Melling in  bench with Hoffman and Murdocca

We play Brisbane next 

I know its perhaps not the right attitude but I really dont want JVS to scrape a win next week because if he does people will suddenly be back to signing his praise and we will be stuck on this roundabout for even longer. Obviously if we see the team get 3 points through hard work, a well thought out and executed game plan and the ruthlessness we have all been longing to see I will be happy (providing it can be replicated for more than 4-5 games). But right now I am feeling the same as when Aloisi was walking the edge. Just fall off already so we can move on

• Like 2

We play Brisbane next 

If JVS is still there for the Brisbane game he needs to take a chance and bring some of the youngesters into the team and squad.

With our lack of fullbacks I believe it would be better to go with a back three and play wingbacks

Play Dugandzic (because I think he works hard and there is basically nobody else) and Garuccio as wing backs

Although I don't think Paartalu has been great I would play him wirth Mauk and Mooy ahead of him

did you see Kisnorbo's terrible ball distribution when we went to a back 3? Adelaide were pressing so that the ball would be played out through him as they knew that the ball would go out or come straight to one of their players.

I Think being harsh on Hoffman, I thought he was ok. Cirio is quality and had pretty much no impact

I still think half our LB problem is that villa doesn't track back, their first goal garrucio had to follow mabil otherwise he would got the ball at top of box with space and has chance to shoot

We play Brisbane next 

did you see Kisnorbo's terrible ball distribution when we went to a back 3? Adelaide were pressing so that the ball would be played out through him as they knew that the ball would go out or come straight to one of their players.

Just watching it now

So the answer is no

However, I think it may be worth persisting with

I will look closely at the 2nd half

Well just watching the game and there is no way that was a penalty.

Redmayne comes out in a straight line and the striker knocks it to side, then moves his right foot into Redmayne because he wasn't getting the ball.

You could see why the ref fell for it, but it was a bad break for us.

As far as the game so far, although Adelaide are more composed on the ball. There isn't a big difference between the teams

The main difference is that most of their lesser lights are better than ours

Yeah. Unlucky again

I am not saying they where unlucky, but up to now Redmayne hasn't had a save to make. You can't say they have had numerous chances.

So decisions like that do make a difference in a tight game. I know. But we always seem to be watching replays saying "that wasn't a penalty" or "if we buried that chance the game would have been different". While true, all clubs have to deal with shit like that.

It is true. Adelaide didn't really seem in any hurry to make chances and I think that's because they new we would huff and puff away wasting possession after possession and get tired and then they would pounce. In the last 5 minutes they could have put 2 or 3 past us tbh.

The fact is if you are going to charge at players as a keeper you need to get the ball clearly or you run the risk of giving a penalty away. He made that choice and it backfired. Remember the ref doesn't have slow mo and multiple angles. That's football

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

IMO neither team deserved to win

It's a question of playing the right team, and today I saw that Murdocca, Wielhart and Dugandzic are simply not good enough

Redmayne. Hoffmann and Williams probably aren't either, but they have unfortunately no competition from what I have seen

JVS needs to do some serious thinking before the next game

I just watched the reply of last nights game on fox sports... There was one passage of play that I think sums up our club from day 1.

70th min Murdocca wins the ball and passes to Villa on left wing near halfway line. Villa receives and goes on an electrifying run jumping over a defenders tackle and flying into the penalty area, he passes Mabil, and a 2nd AU defender, crowed is on its feet with eyes wide open... Villa Shoots and Golekovic saves which falls to Wilo .... The anxiety of the crowed sees Wilo sky rocket his shot from 6 yards out ....

This club from day 1 has looked good, promised a lot, has made us all believe.... But can't seem to deliver and we don't have that final polish ...

We play Brisbane next 

Having just watched the game I didn't see what you saw

His distribution wasn't any worse than most of the others

I do think that there has to be changes either in system or personnel

For instance Wielhart for me isn't good enough in a back four.

Maybe as the spare man in a back three he can fare better.

Also for me Paartalu is very exposed and he gets dragged out of position.

For me he goes chasing the ball too much. He should sit in the front of the defenders, and that would be easier if he was part of a midfield three

I know we play 4-3-3

However, Murdocca is that ill disciplined we are often out numbered in midfield

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week

Adelaide had great width and exposed our full back weakness. Both goals came from Garuccio getting sucked in to a more central position and them exploiting that space

Meanwhile in the first half JvS was constantly telling him to stay wider, seriously why does that need to be coached on game day

pretty poor that just about the whole team walked straight off after talking shit in the middle of the ground after the game last night, only player that went around and made little effort to see the fans was hoffman

Mass came down to the south end.

Got to give it to him, he mightn't be able to make a pass longer than 5m but he has stones and he's a fucking good bloke.

Once again, decent start, few decent patches then turns to shit.

Not going to miss Villa, I know without him we probably wouldn't have taken points from Sydney & Newcastle but it just hasn't worked.

Positive was active clearly coming together, new call & response worked really well.

Also, our defenders score more than our current strikers, who have scored 0.

:hkpalm:

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

Poor second half, left disappointed yet again.

Velaphi surely has to get a game soon.

Goodbye to Germano, fragile but when he was fit and could play a full match he was really good.

Keep Garuccio at LB please, for time being. I don't want to see Ramsay at LB ever again, would rather him up forward on the left.

Dugandzic benched, I don't want the prick anywhere near the box to butcher the chances he gets.

Paartalu needs a personal trainer and be benched for 3 weeks, PUT MAUK IN YOU IDIOTS AND GET ME A FUCKING RED AND WHITE AWAY KIT WITH MAUK AND NUMBER 21 on the back. I'm not wearing that pale-blue shit which coincides with our pale-arse performances to date.

The "we are missing Koren" comments are tripe.

How can we miss a player when he's not yet played a frigging minute for us? We don't know what he's going to be like. Hope it's good.

Archibald, Melling n Chapman need some game time if they are fit. I don't know what they're like or who they are but, give them a run please.

JVS, you don't have long to go me thinks.......

bring back Eli at least!

Well positives:

We were a lot better than against the tards. That is we looked like an a league side

Negatives:

We lacked "zip" all night, we just looked flat. Hard to understand why this would be the case; boys should have been desperate to win

I really think we have to risk Archibald ahead of weilart; robbie is just not up to it anymore and also mooy is fast becoming a liability at AM but having shown engelaar the door and replacing him with an injured player I'm not sure we have another option