Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

I still think his future for one further season depends on where we finish this season. CFG want "continuous improvement" rather than instant success. Mubarak made mention last season that we had out best-ever season by finishing fourth - after the play-offs had taken place. A win on Friday and then a win in the elimination final would be better than last season overall, and I'd say he will be here next season. Anything less than that and I'd say it's going to be a very close call for him.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still think his future for one further season depends on where we finish this season. CFG want "continuous improvement" rather than instant success. Mubarak made mention last season that we had out best-ever season by finishing fourth - after the play-offs had taken place. A win on Friday and then a win in the elimination final would be better than last season overall, and I'd say he will be here next season. Anything less than that and I'd say it's going to be a very close call for him.

I think they have made the target for this year silverware. Whether that was because they believed he could deliver it, or set that bar that high as an excuse to sack him is another question.

36 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think they have made the target for this year silverware. Whether that was because they believed he could deliver it, or set that bar that high as an excuse to sack him is another question.

I hope you're right.

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd expect he's been told ACL qualification or bust tbh. No basis to that other than my own observations and wisdom, but I would think that is a reasonable goal.

Absolutely reasonable given that so far CFG has put A$27m into the club plus wages and salaries.

6 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

davutovic said on studs up he expects him to be here next season unless something ridiculous happens to our end of season  :hmm:

I think Davuotivic's news feed from the club was cut off a long time ago. There were rumors on here that JVS survived last year by the skin of his teeth, so its not unreasonable for CFG to say its silverware/ACL next season or you're gone.

Edited by Dylan

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I think Davuotivic's news feed from the club was cut off a long time ago. There were rumors on here that JVS survived last year by the skin of his teeth, so its not unreasonable for CFG to say its silverware/ACL next season or you're gone.

It's not.

He's broken several stories this season (Mauk and Koren's departures for example) and apparently there's a bit of annoyance within the football club that he continues to break these stories and clearly has a leak that feeds him the information.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

At what point does CFG not sacking JVS become cruel and unusual punishment?

Around two years ago.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

davutovic said on studs up he expects him to be here next season unless something ridiculous happens to our end of season  :hmm:

So my theory about this club being created purely as a cruel sociological experiment is starting to really hold water

• Like 4

He needs to go and he never has the mentality to coach a champion side.

I can recall several times that Luca Trani was motivating the team. So why do we need JVS at all? To see him putting Chappy on the left back or keep playing Dekker/Marino on the wing? If so, everyone here are wasting time and money

Well surely this is the nail in the coffin. If that hasn't signed his death warrant with CFG then I have no idea what will. But he needs to be followed out the door by a group of muppets at the club. JD and Joey nepotism need to go, as does Munt. Send us a someone to oversee all the hiring and firing and get our shit in order.

Edited by wombegongal

So tonight:

-Starts Chapman at LB full well knowing our game revolves around our fullbacks being able to use their pace to get up and down the field and help us up forward. Knows full well Chapman has only played 1 game since coming back from a lengthy lay off. Leaves the guy who has been playing lb for the most part for us this season on the bench for the most important game of the season!

-Starts melling and malik for some unknown reason. How defensive do you want to play? How could Caceras not be in the starting line up over one of those two?

-Subs clisby on when the game is fucked, why not sub gooch? I have nothing against clisby, he's proven to be a solid defender, but gooch has proven to be a lot more attacking player out of the two. Might as well go for the game when you're 2-0 down. Even if you lose 3 or 4 nil, at least go for the win!

-First sub off the bench is a guy who all season has done nothing except score a goal in junk time for us. :droy:

GTFO

I heard from a Greek Construction worker friend of the inner sanctum of players that early in the season when we had been in a slump that JVS' pregame speech when asked what the tactics were for the game because no-one had been told, he answered "Do whatever you like"!!!!! This is a coach???

If you think that is a rumour, you'd be wrong. If you think that is a fact, you'd be right.Players walked mid-season because he couldn't get the best out of them, Mauk included and despite people's sudden dislike of him after last night, would have been a great City player except for or in spite of JVS.

The construction worker also advises that Fornarolli has already announced to the inner sanctum that he will not be at City next year if JVS is still there, such is the distaste the team has for his lack of ability.

We all forgot after a heady few games where we were playing like Barcelona  (ha) that we were really a second rate team with some first rate individuals.

Another disappointing team. Another will follow if JVS is there. 

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Knowing we are guaranteed a finals spot, could the players have sabotaged JVS the last few weeks? 

I doubt they would sabotage winning the title..

Edit: If all the players wanted JVS to go they could all just band together and give the club an ultimatum.

Edited by malloy

I know gloating is uncool but can't help myself:

On 21/10/2014 at 2:36 PM, Alexxxandro said:

Well I won't be surprised it City sneak into the top six this year and all the JVS supporters say "just see what he does next season with a top squad!".  

And then City come fifth...

My fear isn't that JVS is a terrible coach but that he's a mediocre one.

The worst part about it all is that we were right all along. We knew that we wouldn't win anything with him in charge this season even when were scoring goals for fun. Because the pattern always came into play ie winning 2-4 games impressively then turning back to shit in the following game/s. Whenever we did get into good positions on the table, I kept thinking "what if we actually go on and win it with this bloke as coach" but nope, we just have to bottle it every time.

• Like 1

Individual displays of quality by mooy and Fornaroli have carried jvs all season, and even then it's likely to get him no better than 5th spot, it's been an entertaining year no doubt about it but it's always been individuals that have stepped up and dragged this team over the line, when it becomes an issue of tactics and trying to change the course of a game he has no idea, last night Adelaide were brilliant, extremely disciplined with an even contribution across the park, with mooy and Bruno shut down jvs may as well have gotten up and gone home because his superstars couldn't carry his sorry ass again. We need someone that's actually going to build a team of even contributors and motivate them to that point, guys like Bruno and mooy should be the icing on the cake, our entire hopes shouldn't just rest on them. This type of coach does not win premierships or championships, we are not battle hardened, jvs is solely responsible for that.

• Like 2