Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: MHFC vs CCM Sunday 23rd March 3pm.

MTP

Like everyone else, I am very disappointed. Orlando's goal aside (top shelf). I could not believe (no pun intended, hehe) the last twenty minutes. No ambition or urgency from the players.

Whilst I don't like the broom approach as a general rule, something needs to happen during the off season to cut out the rot and give us a solid platform on which to build on for the future. I have had enough.

fuck this shit bring on next season i said we will lose this orlando's goal was a one off fluke for the game which alot of other players should of have had a crack at i still cant understand how we can dominate play and possession at times but not score bring back the ditch or babalj way too many crosses hitting no target whatsoever

I thought we dominated the first 75 mins and created plenty of chances to finish the game off. As usual we struggle to finish against teams who sit back and play counter attack. The second goal killed us, we lost composure and started to panic with long balls and the like. The final third passing was poor as usual and some of the midfield passing was poor as well. As stated before, 2 goals from 4-5 attempts from the mariners and none from our 20 odd chances ( I have no idea on the actual stastic but that is what it felt like) is the telling difference. I am not counting Orlando's goal as that was just opportunism from him rather than the team creating something.

We did play better than the last two weeks though.

Total attempts were 13.

5 shots on target 1 goal. The other four attempts were all around the six yard box.

6 shots off target of which 5 of those were attempted within the penalty box.

2 shots blocked.

Most shots missed went over the crossbar. First rule is hit the target.

Couple of headers that should have been goals the ball was headed towards the near post instead of across the face of goal to the opposite post. Basic errors, very basic errors.

• Like 1

Didn't rate the capo's work today. If you're reading this, respect, but a poor performance along with the players.

Capo today stepped up to fill a gap when no one else would.  He should be applauded for at least attempting to keep the half-empty terrace going for 90 minutes.  If not for his 'poor performance' and the assistance of Bozza and me on the trumpet there would have been no chanting today.  Very poor showing all around, really, and pretty gut-wrenching for those of us who do put the effort in.

Gabi, I'm not in Yarraside but all your efforts are appreciated

• Like 3

Didn't rate the capo's work today. If you're reading this, respect, but a poor performance along with the players.

I don't rate your shit attitude to what is a pretty fucking hard job. The young lad stepped up to fill a gap when no one else would, and should be shouted a few beers next week at the very least. I'll buy him one if he loses that hat! (Wish he was on the here to read that) ;)

anyone having a go at the capo today hoe about you step up and try and motivate half a terrace who just looks at you like youre nothing and then proceed to drum the beat to it, do you think these people are getting paid to do it? honestly step up prove me wrong.

• Like 1

Just asking out of curiosity ... Why have there been capos who had done the job several times; then get someone else to take over?

pretty easy to explain really, they enjoy watching a game of football instead of trying to motivate a terrace who gives them shit, want to enjoy a drink and generally talk to mates and have fun or other personnel reasons i don't see how there is a general thinking that the one person should be capo why should they miss out on relaxing when everyone else is standing there arms crossed and not wanting to get involved and no i don't mean all of you on this so don't start whinging at me.

• Like 1

Reading all these comments, i thought i must have gone to a different game.

1. Yarraside was only slightly smaller than normal (relative to the rest of the crowd) looking at it from the side, and the noise and atmosphere was equivialnt to all other weeks. Not sure what everyone else is going on about

2. I thought we played pretty good football apart from the last 20 minutes perhaps.   We had chances, just didnt put them away. We pretty much bossed most of the play. 

There is no way you can compare todays effort with that of Pre JVS.   Maybe , just maybe CCM deserve some credit here rather than having a go at our guys

I think we are being a tad harsh here....

I too am dissapointed that season is gone, but it was a pretty big ask coming from where we were. 

And despite the CCM winning, could you imagine going to watch them every week with that style of play? It may win games, but fuck I'd be asleep for 90% of games. Cue the age old debate re beautiful vs effective football..................... being greedy I want both!

After four seasons...I think I'd rather be asleep for 90% of games and wake up knowing we've won than stay awake for the entire 90 minutes and then try to go to sleep knowing we've lost.

But seriously...IIRC we've won just once against CCM in 12 outings. It's time we worked out how to win matches like these.

Bloody disappointing.

Was a poor performance all round. We just can't break down teams who sit back. We started creating chances regularly in the small period between Orlando's goal (holy fuck, what a goal) and their equaliser, as they started to commit a few bodies forward. Then they just sat back again. You simply can't concede 2 cheap goals like that, especially when you're struggling to break them down at the other end. I think there was a lack of movement in midfield and up top. We've still got a lot to work on, but I think a few new signings and a full pre-season under a decent manager will do us alot of good.

And despite the CCM winning, could you imagine going to watch them every week with that style of play? It may win games, but fuck I'd be asleep for 90% of games. Cue the age old debate re beautiful vs effective football..................... being greedy I want both!

After four seasons...I think I'd rather be asleep for 90% of games and wake up knowing we've won than stay awake for the entire 90 minutes and then try to go to sleep knowing we've lost.

But seriously...IIRC we've won just once against CCM in 12 outings. It's time we worked out how to win matches like these.

It's easy, we take our chances.

• Like 1

I've made my feelings known regarding Yarraside in the past and I'll say it again that they deserve support no matter what unless it is antisocial behavior. Unless your going to sing for the whole game as well you have no right to criticise them. Which leads me to my TTIM arguement, which is not against Yarraside but certain people within the group.

I think regarding Yarraside today it wasn't the capo or those that were chanting that were the problem at all because overall they did a descent job. However, when I look over there and I see a bunch of guys just standing in active area not chanting with the rest of the group it makes me wonder why they are there? Last week and this week this has been more evident than ever.

As much as you have a right to do what you want I think there is some responsibility that if you are going to buy active and take up space there there has to be a small obligation that you should be chanting 'with' the rest of the supporter group, and not singing out of time and definitely not standing there doing nothing at all. Because anything less only weakens the atmosphere that those within Yarraside are and have tried with great effort to achieve. I don't think it's right.

• Like 5

Reading all these comments, i thought i must have gone to a different game.

1. Yarraside was only slightly smaller than normal (relative to the rest of the crowd) looking at it from the side, and the noise and atmosphere was equivialnt to all other weeks. Not sure what everyone else is going on about

2. I thought we played pretty good football apart from the last 20 minutes perhaps.   We had chances, just didnt put them away. We pretty much bossed most of the play. 

There is no way you can compare todays effort with that of Pre JVS.   Maybe , just maybe CCM deserve some credit here rather than having a go at our guys

I think we are being a tad harsh here....

I too am dissapointed that season is gone, but it was a pretty big ask coming from where we were. 

Hi Schrecky, I largely agree with you in terms of the performance.  It was a much more positive display than a lot of what we've been subjected to this season, but again the frustration is in not taking our chances and then conceding too easily at the other end.  The flatness I felt at the end was largely because this felt like yet another game that got away, another game where we were the better team for good chunks of the match but still couldn't do enough.  If we've gone 1-0 up against a team like Central Coast, we should be holding on to that lead with everything we have, knowing that games against them are typically low-scoring and how good they are at nicking a goal.  Conceding on the stroke of half time from a silly turnover just typifies the lack of concentration or complacency that is enough to lose you games.

Can't agree with your comments about Yarraside though.  Don't know how it looked from the side, but I can tell you standing in the thick of it that it was half empty.  Fair play to those who did come and did sing, and if our motley crew managed to make enough noise that 'the atmosphere was equivalent to all other weeks', then bloody hell we should be proud of that.  But the terrace in general was definitely very flat today on top of being depleted in numbers - at one point a whole row just sat down and started playing with their phones.  That in turn impacts on the motivation levels of everyone around them, myself included.  It's rubbish and in my opinion the terrace as a collective should try to come up with a plan over the off-season to stamp out that kind of culture in Yarraside.

So frustrating. I think most comments have been spot on. Defence was poor and slow, the final third couldn't capitalise on the opportunities created. During match I could not understand why Heart players went to ground so easily, they slipped and tumbled. I mentioned before that the team can't handle a physical game. For a while there I felt that many players could make a case for being kept but the last two weeks show that in reality they are not what the club needs. Engelaar's goal was a classic but ultimately he is now too slow - if we are to have a midfield marquee player then they need to be younger. As much as I like Williams, he needs to nail the opportunities, ditto Mauk - the team needs a beast of a striker who can shoot truly with either feet. Wieleart and Kisnorbo have been dutiful stalwarts at the back but lack pace. And with Kisnorbo drifting forward he does not have the pace to run back. Germano in defence has been good but not as effective as he was four to six weeks ago.

And frankly JVS has not been able to make changes during the game that have been effective. As for Hoffman, that is two weeks in a row that he has played below par - way below par. Take a punt next week and bring in Walker.

I was sitting in GA just behind bay 16 (I would have taken my eldest two down the front but my wife came to the second match she can attend this season and we sat as a family). The fellow with the megaphone today did a very good job and shame on anyone knocking him. Towards the end he asked the question whether anyone was interested in chanting and supporting the players. A fair question given the lack of enthusiasm both sides of the white lines and that we only had twenty minutes of our season left as far as I was aware.

Good job lad, do not be discouraged and keep it up.

I don't know why people are surprised that yarraside has been shit the past couple of weeks. 70% of yarraside are made up of teen-boppers who only sing when we are winning, want a loud yarraside? Provide a decent team on the park who can inspire the crowd to sing for them.

It honestly seems like we are writing the same thing every week, how many times have we heard these reasons for not winning?:

-Can't convert chances

-Redders fucks up

-Midfield can't break down the defence

We should honestly just copy and paste our answers from previous games and save ourselves the trouble of dissecting the same shit football every week.

Thought i'd offer an unpopular opinion and say i'm over Murdocca. I'm so sick of his hesitancy to shoot, every time he gets on the edge of the box he either trys to play someone through on a narrow ball which isn't there, or plays the ball out wide, allowing the opposition to get back and jam-pack the box with their defenders. It's not enough for me that he runs really hard for the team, he needs to offer something going forward, or be moved on

Last but not least, no blame for today can be put on JVS. His tactics are their, it's the team who is letting him down. 

• Like 1

Couldn't make it today so I won't comment on Yarraside. I watched the highlights and Redmayne was at fault for sure, but the team as a whole looked flat, just like last week. I don't know why this is happening, but to be honest, I am not too concerned about the rest of this season, I am more looking forward to the off-season and what it will bring.

Was unable to attend the game again today due to work (going to have to get a new job before next season I reckon, sick of this working match day bullshit) but I watched the game delayed without knowing the score.Here are my thoughts.

Redmayne: Cops a lot of stick on here, but unfortunately as a keeper that's a part of the job. His positioning for the second CCM goal was an amateur mistake, and I do not think he has what it takes to be a number 1 at A League level, which is disappointing because I really like him.

Hoffman: I am an avid Hoffman lover but he was fairly poor today. Defensively he was out of position for the first goal, and offers almost nothing going forward. Would still pick him ahead of Walker or Mitchinson, but I don't think he'll be starting next year.

Wielaert: Was guilty of getting beaten a few times today, and he is really fucking slow, but his passing was pretty good today, especially one particular through ball that should have resulted in a Williams goal.

Kisnorbo: Played for the free kick for the first goal and was too slow tracking back. as well as Wielaert played the long ball too often.

Garrucio: Not a left back. At all. Is fairly weak defensively and was exposed by Mitch Duke when he beat him easily to the header to play Bernie Ibini through for his goal. Possibly the most talented prospect we have along with Mauk, but playing him out of position is going to just hurt his development.

Germano: Probably one of our better players today, showed a lot of energy and aggression, and was a good option at the back to change things up. Unfortunately offered very little going forward.

Murdocca: Gives 100% all game. Goes hard and keeps fighting. Rate him highly. His first touch and sometimes his passing however can be quite poor. Got bullied by the opposition today but held his own. Good show.

Engelaar: Everyone needs to just sit the fuck down because this bloke has won goal of the season tonight. Absolute beast of a goal, however he seemed to lack the ability to tear the game apart like he did when he first started, like the last few weeks seemed a bit out of it at times.

Dugandzic: Can't shoot or cross to save his life, bar one cross that found Williams at the back post. One bit of play where he beat two defenders on the wing was good, but apart from these two moments was very poor again.

Ramsay: Completely forgot he was on the field until he was subbed for Kewell. Enough said.

Williams: Needs to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. Took too long several times to shoot and missed the chance because of it. And when he did shoot it was off target or weak. Needs to gain consistency if he wants to do anything other than sit on the bench for the next two years.

Kewell: Came on as a sub and added some creativity to the game, Damn good passer still, but has no stamina or pace or anything. Don't think he'll play after this season.

Mauk: Played for about 10 minutes and had two or three chances to tie the game. Played fantastically and added the flair we needed near the end, unfortunately just wasn't enough. Backheel to play Williams through was classy as and Williams should have pulled the trigger.

I don't know whether Fox Sports moved the mike or something but despite what looked like a fucking terrible crowd Yarraside seemed to generate a lot of noise and should be commended. Again I wasn't their but I can assume that comments saying the Capo did shit are just plain wrong because I'm usually in Yarraside and I know the Capos do incredibly well at what is a shitty job. Also Bozza and Gabi on the trumpets sounded awesome on the TV so great work!

• Like 5

Was unable to attend the game again today due to work (going to have to get a new job before next season I reckon, sick of this working match day bullshit) but I watched the game delayed without knowing the score.Here are my thoughts.

Redmayne: Cops a lot of stick on here, but unfortunately as a keeper that's a part of the job. His positioning for the second CCM goal was an amateur mistake, and I do not think he has what it takes to be a number 1 at A League level, which is disappointing because I really like him.

Hoffman: I am an avid Hoffman lover but he was fairly poor today. Defensively he was out of position for the first goal, and offers almost nothing going forward. Would still pick him ahead of Walker or Mitchinson, but I don't think he'll be starting next year.

Wielaert: Was guilty of getting beaten a few times today, and he is really fucking slow, but his passing was pretty good today, especially one particular through ball that should have resulted in a Williams goal.

Kisnorbo: Played for the free kick for the first goal and was too slow tracking back. as well as Wielaert played the long ball too often.

Garrucio: Not a left back. At all. Is fairly weak defensively and was exposed by Mitch Duke when he beat him easily to the header to play Bernie Ibini through for his goal. Possibly the most talented prospect we have along with Mauk, but playing him out of position is going to just hurt his development.

Germano: Probably one of our better players today, showed a lot of energy and aggression, and was a good option at the back to change things up. Unfortunately offered very little going forward.

Murdocca: Gives 100% all game. Goes hard and keeps fighting. Rate him highly. His first touch and sometimes his passing however can be quite poor. Got bullied by the opposition today but held his own. Good show.

Engelaar: Everyone needs to just sit the fuck down because this bloke has won goal of the season tonight. Absolute beast of a goal, however he seemed to lack the ability to tear the game apart like he did when he first started, like the last few weeks seemed a bit out of it at times.

Dugandzic: Can't shoot or cross to save his life, bar one cross that found Williams at the back post. One bit of play where he beat two defenders on the wing was good, but apart from these two moments was very poor again.

Ramsay: Completely forgot he was on the field until he was subbed for Kewell. Enough said.

Williams: Needs to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. Took too long several times to shoot and missed the chance because of it. And when he did shoot it was off target or weak. Needs to gain consistency if he wants to do anything other than sit on the bench for the next two years.

Kewell: Came on as a sub and added some creativity to the game, Damn good passer still, but has no stamina or pace or anything. Don't think he'll play after this season.

Mauk: Played for about 10 minutes and had two or three chances to tie the game. Played fantastically and added the flair we needed near the end, unfortunately just wasn't enough. Backheel to play Williams through was classy as and Williams should have pulled the trigger.

I don't know whether Fox Sports moved the mike or something but despite what looked like a fucking terrible crowd Yarraside seemed to generate a lot of noise and should be commended. Again I wasn't their but I can assume that comments saying the Capo did shit are just plain wrong because I'm usually in Yarraside and I know the Capos do incredibly well at what is a shitty job. Also Bozza and Gabi on the trumpets sounded awesome on the TV so great work!

agree completely, outta likes

• Like 1

What a shit performance by the heart, but today told the story of not only our season but our recruiting and development of our playing style.. After the last 3 weeks there are big question marks about JVS. Yes he is a good coach far better than Aloisi and some other A-league coaches, but does he have the capacity to take us to a championship? Or make us a force in the A-league. Based on his 2nd stint with the heart and like his first stint we are up and down. 4 weeks ago everyone in the media and the public had us making the finals. We were smashing teams, Wilo scoring for fun, Kewell was in Socceroo's contention, our midfield was hunting in packs, competition for places within the squad was on. But then ..... a loss, a draw and loss and season is over...

How do you explain that??

What a shit performance by the heart, but today told the story of not only our season but our recruiting and development of our playing style.. After the last 3 weeks there are big question marks about JVS. Yes he is a good coach far better than Aloisi and some other A-league coaches, but does he have the capacity to take us to a championship? Or make us a force in the A-league. Based on his 2nd stint with the heart and like his first stint we are up and down. 4 weeks ago everyone in the media and the public had us making the finals. We were smashing teams, Wilo scoring for fun, Kewell was in Socceroo's contention, our midfield was hunting in packs, competition for places within the squad was on. But then ..... a loss, a draw and loss and season is over...

How do you explain that??

Anxiety. We are frightened of winning and being successful, we choke. We can win games but as the expectation rises you can see the players stop enjoying their football and they become anxious, the good finishing disappears and it's back to balls over the crossbar from inside the box. It was anxiety about losing in JA's tenure, but as a club we've never being able to handle expectations. CFG, this is the biggest cultural issue that needs to be addressed in this club.

• Like 1

My, oh my... just got home and all I can say is, what a disappointing day.

We controlled the game in small periods quite well but our defence was just absolutely putrid at dealing with anything today, Kisnorbo and Wielaert were slow and sub-par, Hoffman was invisible (bar one run) and Garuccio was out of his depth. And as for Redders, well... I was extremely disappointed with his performance today and I'm going to be pretty disappointed if he's our number 1 next season. He's a great clubman but he's not up to A-League standard at this stage.

The midfield probably got a pass mark, Germano was industrious as always and probably our best player imo. Murdocca worked hard but once again, his passing was fairly poor and he was knocked off the ball far too often, in critical areas too. Engelaar was alright (dat goal though, fuck meeeee!) but I didn't see Kewell do anything, whilst Mauk at least created chances when he came on.

The forwards were pretty disgraceful as well, Williams' finishing was very ordinary and Dugandzic's and Ramsay's crosses were constantly looped into the air to nobody so that was frustrating.

As for Yarraside, it was definitely the flattest out of the games I've been to this season (this was my 6th) but the capo should still be commended, did a great job considering how fucking lackluster we all were. I agree with Gabi though, something's got to be done about certain aspects of the culture in Yarraside (don't worry, I'm not saying we should go and change everything) because I love what Yarraside does, I just think more needs to be done to uphold the values and culture of active support which the Yarraside crew has worked so hard to achieve over the years.

I'm just glad that I was fortunate enough to see Orlando slot probably the best A-League goal of all time live, probably saved the day from being a complete and utter travesty.

The club and new owners need to be careful with who they keep and who they let go.. If not for the take over I would not be signing up for this rubbish next season..

Fuck the colours off and bring on the name change and bring on the new era in our clubs history..

So fucking pissed off..

JVS the spot light is on you.. You were given a new contact therefore it's up to you to bring the silverware

Look at it this way, this was the second last shit performance we'll ever have to see from our team at AAMI Park

Would love to agree with you but unfortunately being rich doesn't always alleviate having a shit winning culture, reckon we'll still see a few.