Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: MHFC vs CCM Sunday 23rd March 3pm.

MTP

What's the reasoning behind the earlier than usual kick-off time, anyone know?

There normally is 2 games on sunday and the other one is in perth so id say time differences etc

What's the reasoning behind the earlier than usual kick-off time, anyone know?

Yes, they couldn't do it last week during the Grand Prix

For me, it comes down to two things;

(1) last week there was a lead into an ACL week so all ACL relative teams (the retards, WSW and CCM) played the Saturday.  since the FFA are actually powerless to predict the location of home and away games come the ACL, the best the FFA can do is make sure that they play any relative A League team is on the Saturday so that those that get given an away game have the best chance to fly out on a Sunday.

(2) Fox Sports have their broadcast contract dictate that they have a 5 pm AEST / AEDT kickoff time slot so they can run their program (can't remember the name) at 7 pm AEST / AEDT as a wrap up to the weekend.  As was pointed out, normally there are two Sunday games (after all, ACL will impact a max of 6 out of 27 rounds a season). Hence, Fox can advertise a program to a very select and already engaged audience through an afternoon of footy.

bitch and moan all you want, they put $40 million into the game each year.  they are entitled to there say.

That said;

(1) It doesn't take 13 monkeys around the clock to figure what the fuck is happening on the Australian sporting scene (and more to Bela's point).  sadly, the muppets at the FFA are Sydney centric.  

by all means, footy in this country has to treat itself as if it is the biggest mofo out there - if we don't then who will?

that said, there are some things you just don't mess with (ie AFL Grand Final, NRL Grand Final, F1 GP, ANZAC day games in other codes).  some are just an uphill battle (no pun intended).  you'd think some would show some forward planning, particularly since we are talking about a fucking season draw  :rolleyes:

Agree with what you say, the solution would have been to give both Melbourne teams away games on GP weekend or else play Heart at home on Friday evening. Use the Sunday spot that week for a non-Melbourne team game.

Just look at last weekend, Union at AAMI Friday, League at AAMI Saturday. By the time the FFA would have realised the fuck up it'd have been too late to change the day unless try moved to Monday. I'm sure they'd have then gone to foxtel and pushed a 2/3 pm kick off, foxtels response would have been, 'why should we change it? It doesn't effect us. We'll give you and hour so it doesn't clash with the start of the GP or really effect our post game broadcasting plans.'

(1) It doesn't take 13 monkeys around the clock to figure what the fuck is happening on the Australian sporting scene (and more to Bela's point).  sadly, the muppets at the FFA are Sydney centric.  

by all means, footy in this country has to treat itself as if it is the biggest mofo out there - if we don't then who will?

that said, there are some things you just don't mess with (ie AFL Grand Final, NRL Grand Final, F1 GP, ANZAC day games in other codes).  some are just an uphill battle (no pun intended).  you'd think some would show some forward planning, particularly since we are talking about a fucking season draw  :rolleyes:

Just look at last weekend, Union at AAMI Friday, League at AAMI Saturday. By the time the FFA would have realised the fuck up it'd have been too late to change the day unless try moved to Monday. I'm sure they'd have then gone to foxtel and pushed a 2/3 pm kick off, foxtels response would have been, 'why should we change it? It doesn't effect us. We'll give you and hour so it doesn't clash with the start of the GP or really effect our post game broadcasting plans.'

I may be naive, but given that at this time of year in particular there are always going to be multiple sports and competitions vying for both live and TV audiences, wouldn't it make sense for more co-operation between all the parties involved? I'd love to see the TV audiences for the Heart/Phoenix game and the F1 - I can't imagine that a relatively unappetising football match in a stadium 20% full did Fox's figures much good.

My guess is that if Garuccio starts at LB again, it's because Behich is going back to Turkey, and Heart are testing the only realistic possibility the club has to play LB for next season.

Even though Garuccio didn't have a good game there last round, there's a decent argument that it was worth testing him as LB, for the sake of next season. There's also an argument for not playing any players that won't be apart of the squad next season (like Behich, it seems). If Heart can sort out any quandaries or question-marks over the squad for next season, without seriously jeopardising chances for success in what remains of this season, they should do it IMO. And I think that's been the case with playing Garuccio at LB (especially since Behich's form has dipped somewhat).

I ultimately think Garuccio is a winger and he shouldn't be played at LB, but given that he did well there in the derby, it's been a worthwhile experiment to play him there IMO (if only because it proves that he shouldn't be the first choice LB, which is useful to know).

Might as well put my tea cup away if people want keep guessing after the leaves have spoken.

My guess is that if Garuccio starts at LB again, it's because Behich is going back to Turkey, and Heart are testing the only realistic possibility the club has to play LB for next season.

Even though Garuccio didn't have a good game there last round, there's a decent argument that it was worth testing him as LB, for the sake of next season. There's also an argument for not playing any players that won't be apart of the squad next season (like Behich, it seems). If Heart can sort out any quandaries or question-marks over the squad for next season, without seriously jeopardising chances for success in what remains of this season, they should do it IMO. And I think that's been the case with playing Garuccio at LB (especially since Behich's form has dipped somewhat).

I ultimately think Garuccio is a winger and he shouldn't be played at LB, but given that he did well there in the derby, it's been a worthwhile experiment to play him there IMO (if only because it proves that he shouldn't be the first choice LB, which is useful to know).

Might as well put my tea cup away if people want keep guessing after the leaves have spoken.

You're a bit sensitive arnt you?

• Like 1

No news from the fragments of Earl Grey this week? Have they changed the brew at Epping??

I would like to see:

Redmayne

Hoffman - Wielart - Kisnorbo - Behich

Murdocca - - Germano

Kewell

Duga - Williams - Garruccio

Bench:

Engelaar (this assumes he hasn't "come good" at training, if he has, bring him in for Germano)

Mauk

Archibald

Ramsay

I'd bring engelaar in for Kewell. Or keep it the same. :-D Edited by Deviant

The tea leaves will only impress me if you can give initials on players we are signing and Targetting. Line ups are a bit meh for me....

Latest tea leaves say same 11 but with HK dropping to bench replaced by IR.

No AB again. Bench HK NK SM PG TV

I wish people would use surnames and not initials.

We have a 20 man squad after letting go GGM DM MM, so it shouldn't be too difficult to work it out. Of course unless RA MS LOD PR MS Are added to the squad, then things become a little more difficult. :)

Would like to see AB & BG play together, pretty happy for IR to be on the bench.

Don't think we'd be able to start more than one of OE HK or NK,

Reckon we may see a goal from DW today to celebrate the new contract and I always expect JG to pop up with something good.

;)

Not taking the piss OTB, love what ou and the tea leaves bring.

• Like 1

Rather obvious lineup.

CCM will probably start defending at halfway, so Heart have to be smart enough to pass effectively through them. We should have the majority of the possession in this game, then it should just be a matter of using it. Hopefully we can break the Mariners down before they have 10 defenders just on the edge of the penalty box, as we haven't been too great at unlocking deep defences lately.

Then we just need to defend counters. We should be able to do that with 2 DMs in Murdocca and Germano, and in theory a back 4. The FBs can't committ themselves too much.

I expect a win. Mariners to be tired after the midweek match in China, and once we get ahead I reckon we'll kick on with it.