Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: MHFC vs CCM Sunday 23rd March 3pm.

MTP

That game encapsulated everything good and bad about our 4 seasons in the HAL. 

First half we controlled the game, made easy by a CCM that was happy to setback and control the space. Engelaar's goal apart, we struggled to create chances as we weren't creative enough in the front third, and we missed all the chances that we did have. We conceded a cheap goal from CCMs only attack and shot of the half. We did look like we wanted to win the game up until that point.

Second half we lacked intensity, created little, errant passing, lost control of the midfield, passed backwards too much and allowed CCM to control the game. We conceded a second cheap goal from poor defending. Kewell came on and we became more creative but the pace dropped even more. JVS needs to work out a way to play Engelaar, Kewell and Williams, as Williams is not a winger despite his pace. Yet another poor game from Hoffman who really offers nothing at RB.

The big change in the club needs to happen off the field and it's an issue of club culture. We have a club that is frightened of success, every time we get talked up for playing good football with the danger that we might succeed in the League, we choke. We need a culture that sets and meets expectations rather than a culture that's frightened of success.

• Like 5

That game was a perfect example of the football cliche - "taking your chances".  We had more but...............

Having said that I thought CCM offered not much at all.  Really we should have destroyed them, but we saw again that we have trouble dealing with a team that sits back and just hits on the counter.  I don't claim to be the expert but it seems to me that if you want to break down deep sitting teams you need to play One touch Football.  Obviously you need the players with the skill to do that. 

You also need defenders and a goal keeper than can deal with the counter attack.

This what we need for next year.

• Like 4

Didn't rate the capo's work today. If you're reading this, respect, but a poor performance along with the players.

Poor turnout, poor performance on the pitch and poor performance by everyone off the pitch.

All round shit day

Edit: Did anyone catch the attendance figure?

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

Didn't rate the capo's work today. If you're reading this, respect, but a poor performance along with the players.

Poor turnout, poor performance on the pitch and poor performance by everyone off the pitch.

All round shit day

Edit: Did anyone catch the attendance figure?

I don't think it was actually announced. But it was 5,418.

• Like 1

That game was a perfect example of the football cliche - "taking your chances".  We had more but...............

Having said that I thought CCM offered not much at all.  Really we should have destroyed them, but we saw again that we have trouble dealing with a team that sits back and just hits on the counter.  I don't claim to be the expert but it seems to me that if you want to break down deep sitting teams you need to play One touch Football.  Obviously you need the players with the skill to do that. 

You also need defenders and a goal keeper than can deal with the counter attack.

This what we need for next year.

Bring back Aziz! He's only got one touch, his Alcatel One Touch!

Can't underestimate CCM. When the match had to be won they stepped up and we were ragged. They've had a difficult year but can still keep it together to overcome a horribly inconsistent team like us. Again, had we taken a chance or two in the first half, apart from Orlando's wonder strike, it could have been very different. We seem to dig ourselves a hole by not taking chances and then confidence drops, start passing backwards and then run out of ideas. How many of our players would rate a start at the Roar, MV, Reds or WSW???? That's who we need to compare ourselves against.

jvs should get a bit of the blame for today, wait 75 mins for a sub? dugandzic was useless again and thought mass was way below standard.

can we bring back bolton or even bosnich for next season? that's how fucking shit redmayne is

can't have williams starting next season, dreadful shooting

Mariners are such frustrating and annoying opponents, and they once again showed why.

They got 2 goals from long balls that were flicked on. They only had 4 shots on goal, yet they got 2 goals. I'm also of the opinion that the mariners didn't offer much, but their simple counterattacking football won out.

A lot of things to frustrated about, but I'm most frustrated that our defence abysmally failed to put pressure on the only 4 plays the mariners had that resulted in shots on goal. It's not like the defence was under wave after wave of pressure, but the little pressure the Mariners put on our defence with their simple and counterattacking football caused our defence to crumble. 

I also agree with Belaguttman, that Heart failed to create enough good chances, given that the team had 55% possession. And Heart wasted the too few chances the team created. Besides from a wonder goal from Engelaar, the finishing for the second week in a row was really found wanting. No team can rely on wonder goals like Engelaar's today, or should rely on penalties and deflections (or mix ups in the box, like how the Nix keeper was bamboozled for our first goal last week) like Heart got last week.

Like I said, the defence was the most disappointing part IMO. At home against a tired opponent (who played mid-week in China), Heart should be able to contain a counterattacking team that can only muster 4 shots on goal. The 1 goal lead that Engelaar provided with his brilliance should have been sufficient for a win or at least a draw at home. That's why I'm more disappointed with the defence then the attack.

The first goal Kisnorbo seemed to play for the foul, then the Mariners bumbled the ball out to Kim, who was far too loosely defended by Hoffman,  and was allowed to move inside and get a shot on goal, which possibly went under the hand of Redmayne.

The second goal was very similar. A long ball, where Garuccio lost out in the aerial duel, and the ball was flicked on for Ibini. Then Kisnorbo provided insufficient cover and pressure on Ibini, and Ibini somehow managed to score from a rather acute angle, with Redmayne weakly defending the far post, the place that Ibini was always going to shot for from that angle.

The takeaway for me from this match is that we were once again shown to be lacking in the goalscoring department, and that our defenders and keeper have really not done enough to prove that they should be apart of Melbourne Heart next season. A whole new back 4 is not out of the question IMO. We have 2 30 year old in the middle that aren't showing enough, a striker-turned-midfielder-turned-fullback for RB, and nothing going on at LB.

Now it's certainly about rebuilding for next season. There's nothing else constructive we can do with the remaining matches IMO except that. Nothing left to do but audition players for next season, and right now many are failing their auditions.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6