Melbourne Football

Matchday 24: MHFC vs CCM Sunday 23rd March 3pm.

MTP

I'm not sure anyone's really knocked the capo. As I said, respect. I didn't rate him giving the racist crap air time though. At all. Couldn't be more disappointed in that.

As I said, a dirty day all around. Shit performance from the players, shit from the capo, arguably shitter from the rest of us.

Haven't seen the game yet. Should I watch it?

It doesn't sound good from what you guys have posted so far.

I have to say after the drubbing of Victory I thought the team would go from strength to strength.

Since then it has been a big anti-climax

I can imagine how you guys are feeling because I feel pissed myself.

Hopefully next season will be the beginning of a new dawn at Heart!

Was unable to attend the game again today due to work (going to have to get a new job before next season I reckon, sick of this working match day bullshit) but I watched the game delayed without knowing the score.Here are my thoughts.

Redmayne: Cops a lot of stick on here, but unfortunately as a keeper that's a part of the job. His positioning for the second CCM goal was an amateur mistake, and I do not think he has what it takes to be a number 1 at A League level, which is disappointing because I really like him.

Hoffman: I am an avid Hoffman lover but he was fairly poor today. Defensively he was out of position for the first goal, and offers almost nothing going forward. Would still pick him ahead of Walker or Mitchinson, but I don't think he'll be starting next year.

Wielaert: Was guilty of getting beaten a few times today, and he is really fucking slow, but his passing was pretty good today, especially one particular through ball that should have resulted in a Williams goal.

Kisnorbo: Played for the free kick for the first goal and was too slow tracking back. as well as Wielaert played the long ball too often.

Garrucio: Not a left back. At all. Is fairly weak defensively and was exposed by Mitch Duke when he beat him easily to the header to play Bernie Ibini through for his goal. Possibly the most talented prospect we have along with Mauk, but playing him out of position is going to just hurt his development.

Germano: Probably one of our better players today, showed a lot of energy and aggression, and was a good option at the back to change things up. Unfortunately offered very little going forward.

Murdocca: Gives 100% all game. Goes hard and keeps fighting. Rate him highly. His first touch and sometimes his passing however can be quite poor. Got bullied by the opposition today but held his own. Good show.

Engelaar: Everyone needs to just sit the fuck down because this bloke has won goal of the season tonight. Absolute beast of a goal, however he seemed to lack the ability to tear the game apart like he did when he first started, like the last few weeks seemed a bit out of it at times.

Dugandzic: Can't shoot or cross to save his life, bar one cross that found Williams at the back post. One bit of play where he beat two defenders on the wing was good, but apart from these two moments was very poor again.

Ramsay: Completely forgot he was on the field until he was subbed for Kewell. Enough said.

Williams: Needs to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. Took too long several times to shoot and missed the chance because of it. And when he did shoot it was off target or weak. Needs to gain consistency if he wants to do anything other than sit on the bench for the next two years.

Kewell: Came on as a sub and added some creativity to the game, Damn good passer still, but has no stamina or pace or anything. Don't think he'll play after this season.

Mauk: Played for about 10 minutes and had two or three chances to tie the game. Played fantastically and added the flair we needed near the end, unfortunately just wasn't enough. Backheel to play Williams through was classy as and Williams should have pulled the trigger.

I don't know whether Fox Sports moved the mike or something but despite what looked like a fucking terrible crowd Yarraside seemed to generate a lot of noise and should be commended. Again I wasn't their but I can assume that comments saying the Capo did shit are just plain wrong because I'm usually in Yarraside and I know the Capos do incredibly well at what is a shitty job. Also Bozza and Gabi on the trumpets sounded awesome on the TV so great work!

Agree and good overall summary. Just shows that when the chips are down and a performance is needed under pressure we don't quite have the team to pull it off. CCM were not brilliant but relentless and ruthless and played with a belief that they were going to win. They played with the belief that as champions they were not going to be beaten by a shit team living near the bottom of the ladder. They were good value for their supporters and Mossy did a good job on the day.

didn't make it to the match, was playing a  gig at  a car show

the Mrs went, she knows fuck all about football, but she pretty much stated what everyone else has said

we had chances but squandered  them

I know Willo's joint top scorer ( or was ) but shit we need a striker with killer instinct, like the Albanian nutcase, who puts away every second chance he gets

• Like 1

You cannot play a style of football where you push out to the wings, play down the byline with overlapping runs and then cross to a vacant box. But it's more than a vacant box, its got no-one in it and no-one charging in after a clearance. And then when you get someone in the box, the cross is shit, the target is on their heels, or the header loops up to the keeper. 

The biggest thing the club needs for next season is an out and out striker. No more counter-attacking fleet footed midgets. A target man who holds up play, turns and shoots and can finish. 

The casual racism in Bay 18 was funny once, but then just went over the top. Very surprised that guy didn't get pulled up given the "extra presence" yesterday.

The casual racism in Bay 18 was funny once, but then just went over the top. Very surprised that guy didn't get pulled up given the "extra presence" yesterday.

If you hear racism and don't respond or report it to the authorities you are complicit. 

edit: of course I don't mean in all situations. Sometimes you just have to think "what an idiot" and ignore them. But at a game and depending on the severity and length of the abuse it probably deserves action. 

Edited by Alexxandro

The team was playing for absolutely nothing against a team from a nothing town who nobody gives a shit about... and too early at 3pm on a Sunday when half the place is nursing a Hang Over. So it is hardly a surprise that The Terrace was lacklustre.

You will get the exact same thing when UK teams are winding down their own Seasons in Mid Table Purgatory on a Sunday.

In fact if PPL can be bothered and want to look closer to home you can read the exact same disappointment expressed in this thread on The Mongs forum whenever the NT has had to experience similar types of “Nothing” games in the past few Seasons.

May I add I am sure that when we play WSW (A team that we all hate) in our last game of the Season (The last time together for a while):

That I am sure that The Terrace will be in much better form and will obviously also have a higher number in attendance than yesterday as well.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

A win would've put us four points outside the top 6. Whether you agree with the finals system or not, I don't think anyone wouldn't want to see us play a final. In that respect, YSide was disappointing yesterday.

Hoffman offers nothing at all going forward, and doesn't tuck in when we attack on the left as cover. He's been serviceable, but that's about it.

Redders is getting beaten from about 6 yards on the angle every week, so I do hope that's been identified and will be addressed in the off season.

On the whole the fixture was largely disappointing given we still had a chance to play for 6th.

Taken me until now to comment after the game, it left me really depressed. From a team that offered so much a few weeks ago to this. It was certainly better than the games during the JA era but the boys lacked any fire, drive or enthusiasm. The only thing on their mind seemed to be "let's keep the ball". Cannot remember any time where we won the ball and immediately attacked and the goals we conceded were just stupid basic defending errors. What is concerning is that JVS has not been able to instil aggression into them.

Re Yarraside. One of my greatest pleasures is the noise, enthusiasm and vibrancy they give. Sure Sunday was not the best but given the low crowd and the disappointing on field performance, I thought they did a great job. Congratulations Capo.

Season is now over. Roll on the off season and roll on next year.

I think that the work rate and in turn the speed of ball movement are our major issues. It felt like for most of the game, players such as murdocca and engelaar would receive the ball in the middle and then have no one to pass to because CCM were flooding the defence and our wingers and forwards weren't moving to provide a passing option. So that results in back passes which don't provide any solution whatsoever. To break down a packed defence you need to pass the ball quickly and force defenders out of position. Mind you, I'm wrapped to see that JVS at least has us trying to pass through defences, as opposed to JA who didn't believe in passing along the ground at all. 

I've commented in the past about how desperately we need a striker, but last week and today's game have shown that we need someone in the midfield who has the ability to take players on and then lay off a brilliant pass. Teams are very hard to break down when they flood their defence but sometimes all it takes is one piece of brilliance (i.e. take on your man) and that results in other defenders being forced to come out of position, freeing up one of our own. I just feel that murdocca is a work horse but doesn't have that brilliance and engelaar, well of course he is very skilful but too slow. 

Anyway, we are certainly playing a more attractive style of football compared to what JA had us playing and our style will win many games next season but at the moment our squad lacks in some key areas, namely a clinical striker and a top class midfielder who has skill but also some pace as well. 

Will add that Sunday apart from Engelaars spectacular goal everything was shit. In on field terms cannot wait for the broom to come out and get rid of a lot of under-performing players we currently have. 

In terms of Yarraside Sunday left me bitterly disappointed. First off thanks to the guy who filled in and is usually on the drum, you did a great job in what was very trying circumstances and the 2 trumpeters did a great job as always, you work is definitely appreciated by the majority of true fans and speaking for myself I can't thank you enough. Also the ones who usually Capo and make all the banners etc the work you do is tremendous! 

What was particularly frustrating was that despite the Capo filling the void today at what seemed like late notice the usual Capo for whatever reason undermined him by moving across to the bay on the right and was making his own chants among with a group of others. I am not sure exactly why this happened because it made the Yarraside seem split which is not look we should be aiming for and instead we should make sure we are united. He contradicted what he usually wanted which was for the terrace to listen to the Capo and those who followed his lead did the same thing. I am not sure if there was some other reason behind it but it made it all very unorganised and definitely made the job a lot harder for him that it needed to be. 

By the same token I understand that the Capo who has done most of the games this year needs a break. I am obviously not a core member or whatever but a suggestion to maybe have a different one each week so that the majority of games can be enjoyed without having to have the same Capo organise the chants each week and instead just once a year could work (like a roster). That way you also won't cop the continued abuse from flogs each week who continually undermine the capo and you can enjoy 13/14 games of the season as you usually would. 

I don't cop the argument that it's a Sunday and people are hungover. As stated above if you feel like you are too hungover or not feeling well or just don't feel up to singing for 90 mins then ffs don't be in active support. There have been a couple of weeks where I have been under the weather for whatever reason and I say to myself I don't think I can do this for 90 mins so instead just go to Gen Admin and join in when I can. Too many times yesterday the blokes up the back row and those who were up the front few rows did not join in and as stated elsewhere were on their phones etc. I understand that you guys put a lot of effort into the terrace and it is appreciated by most people but if you want the terrace to be vocal you have to join in and if you can't then watch the game from somewhere else. Because if you aren't vocal then those around you get a pretty shit vibe and then it spreads like cancer around the bays, and we end up with what we had yesterday. 

I think it is so important to have a healthy and unified active support because not only is it a lot of fun and a great way to support the club but it is a big selling point for our club and our game. If we could somehow fill all those bays and get everyone singing for 90 mins then I guarantee more families and casual supporters will get behind the club. Hopefully over the off season Yarraside and others can investigate into some ways we can encourage 90 minute singing and maybe look at some strategies into creating a full and loud terrace. I think a larger social media presence would be helpful and maybe have some campaigns that look at getting more people on board. 

In saying that the football yesterday was dire at times and has been plenty of times this season which makes it hard to get up and about sometimes. Hopefully with the new era upon us and we are playing the "beautiful" football we have been promised we will have plenty to get excited about which results in a bigger and louder terrace. 

• Like 4

I think that the work rate and in turn the speed of ball movement are our major issues. It felt like for most of the game, players such as murdocca and engelaar would receive the ball in the middle and then have no one to pass to because CCM were flooding the defence and our wingers and forwards weren't moving to provide a passing option. So that results in back passes which don't provide any solution whatsoever. To break down a packed defence you need to pass the ball quickly and force defenders out of position. Mind you, I'm wrapped to see that JVS at least has us trying to pass through defences, as opposed to JA who didn't believe in passing along the ground at all. 

There's still too many passes being made in the air instead of along the deck. Have a look at Adelaide. And too many dinky little lobs in the air to no-one in particular.

One player who really pissed me off yesterday was Wielaert. Now I don't think much of Hoffman, and I think if I see him run forwards five metres, prop and then pass the ball backwards one more time I will have a seizure. But yesterday during the second half he presented himself many times well in the clear on the right wing; Wielaert just did not look in his direction - time and time again he did not even look and just pumped the ball forwards a la Colosimo. Now that is just piss poor team play.

Edited by jw1739

By the same token I understand that the Capo who has done most of the games this year needs a break. I am obviously not a core member or whatever but a suggestion to maybe have a different one each week so that the majority of games can be enjoyed without having to have the same Capo organise the chants each week and instead just once a year could work (like a roster). That way you also won't cop the continued abuse from flogs each week who continually undermine the capo and you can enjoy 13/14 games of the season as you usually would. 

Haha, RoyalHeart, you and I must have been thinking alike overnight, see my new thread for Ideas for Improving Yarraside in Match-Day Planning.

Thank you for your kind words about the trumpeting too!  :)

Maybe its just me but personally I think there is massive connection between the noise of Australian Sporting Crowds and their team's fortunes on the pitch and I felt such a relationship was being displayed in the lack noise from the Yarraside End yesterday.

And FWIW dont worry I know things weren't great - And I personally was not a big help.

But RoyalHeart preaching the 90 Minutes stuff is all well and good but Professional Soccer in Australia is still very young and such a Continental European mentaility took a long time to be created in countries that are very different to our own laidback society... so at best its going to take a long time to be put in place in the Yarraside.

In saying that I def think there is a lot of merit in your thread Gabi and I encourage PPL to contribute...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Maybe its just me but personally I think there is massive connection between the noise of Australian Sporting Crowds and their team's fortunes on the pitch and I felt such a relationship was being displayed in the lack noise from the Yarraside End yesterday.

And FWIW dont worry I know things weren't great - And I personally was not a big help.

But RoyalHeart preaching the 90 Minutes stuff is all well and good but Professional Soccer in Australia is still very young and such a Continental European mentaility took a long time to be created in countries that are very different to our own laidback society... so at best its going to take a long time to be put in place in the Yarraside.

In saying that I def think there is a lot of merit in your thread Gabi and I encourage PPL to contribute...

Pretty spot on. Never been a fan of the mentality that we should sing for 90 minutes and not stop. Too many lulls in the game to keep the emotions high for 90 minutes. Most of out chants have been slaughtered because they get used twice a game atleast.

Cases like the GC game on a Friday night 2 seasons ago are a good example of how the crowds emotions should dictate what/how the chants are done not 1 bloke with a mega.

• Like 2

Really disappointing match. Despite holding the majority of the possession we didn't do much with it and apart from two soft goals and a wonder goal it was very uneventful.

The team looks reluctant to work for eachother and create space again. Too often we had nothing to pass to coming out of defence. 

Engelaar has been very good but his last 3 games have not raised a very convincing argument to keep him. Easily shut out, frustrated, unable to help defensively at all and with his skill on the ball and passing ability dissapearing for extended periods he is just a giant standing in the midfield too often. His goal was one of the few things he did well yesterday.

Our defence was shit. I'm betting if you look through all the goals we have conceded this season the vast majority will involve pieces of play where we let the opposition just brush past us. So often our defenders lose their men or make alame attempt at dispossessing them and they get through and send a mediocre shot at Redmayne who stuffs it up. Redders is a much better keeper when he has to defend a really good shot and just lunge at it instead of having to hold a position as they place it past him.

We really struggled to create opportunities, there wasn't enough movement into space and there were many times where instead of moving the ball quickly to advantage we held it to long and ran out of dangerous options. Engelaar was a culprit, Murdocca would spend too much time running in circles with it but Wielaert and Kisnorbo were the worst. There was a ridiculous amount of speculative mid range lobs played out from the back to 50-50 propositions to gave with their chest and try and control as the were closed down by CCM. Very dissapointed with the build up from the back.

I thought JVS made an error not bringing Kalmar on. There was a large period from about the 70th minute to the 85th where we continually struggled to hold the ball and pick out a pass that was to advantage and forced their defence to reset. Kalmar has shown himself effective in his role as a sub lately in both these areas and should have come on, especially as none of our midfield three were having very effective passing games. 

As someone said earlier Murdocca for the all the good things he brings (and I am a big fan of his intensity, work rate, and hunger) he is very frustrating. Because of his work rate and zippiness he is a player that regularly catches the oppostion on the break but every time it's as if he panics and almost always runs in a circle with the ball before passing to someone in an ok position, by which time the opposition has dropped back.

I'd also like to see some more hunger from some of our squad, to really hunt the ball. There was that high lob in the second half that Reddy had to stand under and not one Heart player moved to actually pressure him and force him to take. There is nothing less fun than standing underneath a high ball knowing that if you do not read the bounce correctly or take it in one grab you are stuffed and seeing some red run towards you out of the corner of your eye doesn't make it easier and means we would have had someone there if he had misread it or fumbled. 

• Like 1

Maybe its just me but personally I think there is massive connection between the noise of Australian Sporting Crowds and their team's fortunes on the pitch and I felt such a relationship was being displayed in the lack noise from the Yarraside End yesterday.

But RoyalHeart preaching the 90 Minutes stuff is all well and good but Professional Soccer in Australia is still very young and such a Continental European mentaility took a long time to be created in countries that are very different to our own laidback society... so at best its going to take a long time to be put in place in the Yarraside.

Agree with a lot with what you say there Cadete and me saying people should sing for 90 mins non stop is unrealistic and wrong. I should have said (meant to say) that when people do sing they give it a genuine crack, and that they follow the capo. I don't mind when a few people start up their own chants when there is something funny or if the capo is being a bit repetitive but when a certain few move themselves away from the main section of Yarraside and are doing completely different chants it is a big kick in the teeth to those who are having a go, or those who just ignore the Capo all together.

It is a shame that Australia does have this culture. I wouldn't call it culture but because it has just been forced down our throats that when we are watching sports we should sit down and politely clap instead of actively supporting. Take Bay 13 for example and how much has changed there the last 10 years. It is a shadow of what it used to be due to negative media, heavy criticism, big police presence forcing people to sit down, pay their money and shutup to enjoy the game. People in Australia are much less likely to speak their mind and be loud when compared to other countries. Not just within crowds but with players too. In many ways I love the arrogance and showmanship of American athletes because it shows they have a personality unlike many of the sport stars here.

I do agree that to a degree success and noise are related. But previously speaking we have been very loud when we were even shitter than yesterday, think it was the Sydney game where we came out with the lets pretend we scored a goal chants and also sung some older ones and we were louder than ever and that made the games a lot more bearable. But I guess yesterday can hopefully be put down to everyone being sick of getting their hopes up only to be disappointed.

• Like 1