Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

Bussing it up. Pumped for my first "away" game.

And Yes, far too much whining! Used to travel a six hour round trip every week for the footy before I moved to Melbourne. It's one game, and it brings the team and the league to an audience that might not get to experience it otherwise. I understand it's tougher for those with kids and work early the next day, but it's not like this happens every week.

Let's fire up, make some noise and show the rest of the league just how dedicated and passionate we can be.

Whine Whine fucking WHINE!! I hate the drive...nyah the train costs a fortune...nyah Albury is too far away... I'm driving to the game FROM CHUFFING WARRNAMBOOL! WHY?? Cos I love this club whether they play in Melbourne, Morwell, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, or on the border. I realise some have family constraints, others work committments. But as I am free that weekend I will bust my guts to attend, finance it myself, and NEVER whinge about distance, temperature, or lack of tofu burgers in Dean St.

Harden up, fire up, and travel up!

Yarraside boys home or AWAY!

Catch the true supporters at the Lavington Sports Bar...lets get pissed and help the lads win another.

respect. this mentality is somewhat lacking around MHFC.

• Like 1

Don't mind taking a game to the bush and letting an audience experience a live aleague match who might not have been able too.

But the organisation from the club to get supporters there has been downright deplorable tbh :hkpalm:

Edited by FB.

Don't mind taking a game to the bush and letting an audience experience a live aleague match who might not have been able too.

But the organisation from the club to get supporters there has been downright deplorable tbh :hkpalm:

This will change next year ;)

Leaving Lilydale around 9:00am with two of my sons and going up through Yea to the Hume. I have been told I will have to take the Carolla ("yes boss") and will have 1 spare seat (or two if someone is small and wants to sit in the back).

PM me if you are interested - No dills.

Not defending anyone, but it's a bit of a Catch-22. Organise something and then perhaps only a few people take advantage of it, or do only a little and get criticised.

I suspect that FFA haven't really thought through just what it is trying to do with these matches, and that's an underlying problem.

how ridiculous they move a home game all the way to aubury and then expect you to pay $80 for a bus or a bit less for the train, when your a member of the club and have had to put up with shit on field performances you would think they could shout us a bus fair

It's not a home game, it's a regional game. Unlike Sydney FC who see Penrith as rural, we are are actually taking our game to regional (almost) Victoria. It'll cost you more in petrol than a train or bus fare

Can't attend but my interest for the game is that the Heart keep a clean sheet. It has been great to see the team come from behind against the jets, SFC and AU but at one point or another the team has to stop conceding.

I also hope that the Man City staff also attend the game - it will be good to give them an introduction to the type of conditions that the A League endures.

• Like 1

Why dont we fkn play in geelong? or frankston, ballarat or bendigo? 

This.

It seems only logical that we would try build more of a fan base around places like Geelong and Ballarat.

Closer places where the fans in these areas would be more beneficial when it comes to attendance back in Melbourne.

That being said, it is good to give what fans we might have in more remote areas something to get excited about.

I still don't get why it's in Albury, though. Why not Mildura, or somewhere remote in Vic?

Whine Whine fucking WHINE!! I hate the drive...nyah the train costs a fortune...nyah Albury is too far away... I'm driving to the game FROM CHUFFING WARRNAMBOOL! WHY?? Cos I love this club whether they play in Melbourne, Morwell, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, or on the border. I realise some have family constraints, others work committments. But as I am free that weekend I will bust my guts to attend, finance it myself, and NEVER whinge about distance, temperature, or lack of tofu burgers in Dean St.

Harden up, fire up, and travel up!

Yarraside boys home or AWAY!

Catch the true supporters at the Lavington Sports Bar...lets get pissed and help the lads win another.

Brilliant!

Heart to bring a rich vein of form

Brad Worrall

Feb 4, 2014

A RESURGENT Melbourne Heart will travel to the Border this weekend in search of redemption.

Less than a month ago Perth Glory handed the fledgling franchise an unwanted piece of history — a 3-0 belting making it a record equalling 19th straight loss in the A-League for Heart.

But the red and whites have now taken seven points from the past three matches, including a 2-1 win against Sydney with just 10 men on Friday night.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said the club was on the rise.

“We certainly feel like we are headed in the right direction,” he said.

“The place is buzzing.

“David Williams’ goal on Friday night that delivered the win was an outstanding individual effort, while Jonatan Germano in his first full start for the season was outstanding and a deserved man of the match.

“Harry Kewell played out the 90 minutes and even after just four full games is high on the table for the Alex Tobin medal.”

While Kewell is expected to play this weekend, there is a question mark over Glory’s marquee signing William Gallas.

The former Arsenal captain was subbed off in the Glory’s 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory in a game that included a wonder strike from outside the box by newly-signed Lithuanian striker Darvydus Sernas.

The forecast for Sunday is 37 degrees but Munn said the expected heat wouldn’t be an issue.

“We played in 32 degrees in Perth, 34 a couple of weeks ago so we know what to expect,” he said.

“We will head to the Border on Saturday and have a closed training session at about 3pm in the afternoon.”

Munn is confident the Heart will have a strong home crowd advantage at the Lavington Sportsground.

“We’ve been to the Border before and have worked with the council on getting a home and away game there for the best part of two years,” he said.

“We would hope that football lovers and sports fans in general will take the opportunity to come to a game that includes past and present Socceroos as well as a number of foreign internationals.”

Sunday’s A-League game starts at 3pm at the Lavington Sportsground.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2064819/heart-to-bring-a-rich-vein-of-form/?cs=10

Edited by Murfy1

I can't really see the point of playing in aubury, I mean it's great to develop fan base across a large area but for one aubury is in nsw and why is someone who live in aubury going to drive 3.5 hrs each week to see there team play, we would be better trying to get more members that live close to melbourne then ones in such far away towns.

Well i do, i travel down five times a season at considerable cost over and above my season ticket price so i can't see why you could not travel to Albury ONCE in this season. Thats the trouble with people who have not been outside of Melbourne to see a football match you are spoilt for choice, whereas in the country we have to make the decision to travel and suck up the cost which i think makes me a better supporter than some of the city people i love this game. It seems to me that you want your cake as well as eating it, come on get behind the team don't be fairweather supporters, i might just add that i am a  age pensioner and cannot really afford too much travel unlike some of you younger supporters, but i make every effort to be at AAMI park as much as possible.

100% agree

On a sidenote, I went to the movies in Albury today and they were advertising the game during the pre-movie ads, it's nice to know the club and council are doing their best to market the game. Hopefully we can gain a few future members with a decent performance.

• Like 1

I can't really see the point of playing in aubury, I mean it's great to develop fan base across a large area but for one aubury is in nsw and why is someone who live in aubury going to drive 3.5 hrs each week to see there team play, we would be better trying to get more members that live close to melbourne then ones in such far away towns.

Well i do, i travel down five times a season at considerable cost over and above my season ticket price so i can't see why you could not travel to Albury ONCE in this season. Thats the trouble with people who have not been outside of Melbourne to see a football match you are spoilt for choice, whereas in the country we have to make the decision to travel and suck up the cost which i think makes me a better supporter than some of the city people i love this game. It seems to me that you want your cake as well as eating it, come on get behind the team don't be fairweather supporters, i might just add that i am a  age pensioner and cannot really afford too much travel unlike some of you younger supporters, but i make every effort to be at AAMI park as much as possible.

I also agree, reward the people who travel the most, 1 game won't kill people, great work by you getting down to melbourne!!!

I know of and knew people that would not come to bendigo because it was too far, but expected bendigo people to travel to melbourne. For some reason they though it was shorter hahahaha. 

100% agree

On a sidenote, I went to the movies in Albury today and they were advertising the game during the pre-movie ads, it's nice to know the club and council are doing their best to market the game. Hopefully we can gain a few future members with a decent performance.

Yeah I heard they have been going nuts with the publicity in the area which is good to see.

Albury/Wodonga actually has a very very strong local league, in fact the rep side from there normally does very well when they compete in tournaments in Melbourne so I wouldnt be suprised if there was a good turnout.

Would be pretty funny to have more people attend this game than what we normally get at AAMI :P

100% agree

Yeah I heard they have been going nuts with the publicity in the area which is good to see.

Albury/Wodonga actually has a very very strong local league, in fact the rep side from there normally does very well when they compete in tournaments in Melbourne so I wouldnt be suprised if there was a good turnout.

Would be pretty funny to have more people attend this game than what we normally get at AAMI :P

It might happen! We got 13,000 here for a NAB Challenge game in Lavi one year, and soccer's probably on par with AFL in terms of participation numbers here so we'll see  ^_^

• Like 1

If we win 2 of our next 3 I'll start to get a tinge of excitement about an outside possibility of playing finals.

Pretty cliched I know but I think the lads just need to focus on putting in the same amount of effort they have in the last few weeks EVERY game.

If we win 2 of our next 3 I'll start to get a tinge of excitement about an outside possibility of playing finals.

Pretty cliched I know but I think the lads just need to focus on putting in the same amount of effort they have in the last few weeks EVERY game.

Exactly right.

If anyone heard Murdocca this morning on SEN, they are all playing for they're futures at the club and knows that even blokes like himself with another year to run on they're contract are under the gun and be paid out.

They're all playing with another purpose besides finals. They're playing for they jobs which can be an even bigger motivator

Exactly right.

If anyone heard Murdocca this morning on SEN, they are all playing for they're futures at the club and knows that even blokes like himself with another year to run on they're contract are under the gun and be paid out.

They're all playing with another purpose besides finals. They're playing for they jobs which can be an even bigger motivator

When you think about it, it's kind of strange that they weren't already playing for their jobs isn't it?

I mean, I know the club couldn't have afforded to just pay them out on a whim previously but I'd like to think that moving forward in every game under this new ownership that every player should be aware that anything less than 100% effort every single week just isn't acceptable.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 2

Exactly right.

When you think about it, it's kind of strange that they weren't already playing for their jobs isn't it?

I mean, I know the club couldn't have afforded to just pay them out on a whim previously but I'd like to think that moving forward in every game under this new ownership that every player should be aware that anything less than 100% effort every single week just isn't acceptable.

If you were ever in a dire employment situation you would not feel like giving 100%. What tends to happen is that some will look for an early exit (seems that Gol Gol was doing just that) and others wait for the package. Nobody gives a shit and going to work becomes a drag. This is even worse when everybody can see that the manager is all at sea and the people above him won't remove him. This is precisely what happened at Heart. So now under new management things change and we are seeing the results.

• Like 1

Johnocpfc-take a bow son. Your enthusiasm is mind boggling. Would love to buy you a beer sometime. Unfortunately I camt make it on sunday due to my sons 2nd bday but if I could make it I would be crashing at your house for sure!!!!!

Also been thinking, fair away game for the perth side. 3h plane trip followed by a 3hr bus to albury. Then do it all again just to get home. Ahahaha cop that

Fuck mate so good

Tbh I don't see how we can't make finals, a couple of wins in the next few weeks and we are right in the mix

If we assume Brisbane, West Sydney and Central Coast are pretty safe, that leaves Victory on 24, Sydney 22, Adelaide and Perth on 21, Wellington and Newcastle on 20 and us on 12 to fill three spots.

Let's say we absolutely tear it up over the remaining games and get like 22 points (7W/1D/2L or 6W/4D/0L). That would put us on 34 points. And unless we absolutely smash a few teams (preferably one or two of those that will be battling for those final spots in the top six), we look like a good bet to have the worst GD in the comp. So, even with a great finish to the season like what's suggested above, we'd have to rely on four of the following not to happen (unless we can catch the team on GD).

• Victory to get 10 points
  • Sydney to get 12 points
  • Adelaide to get 13 points
  • Perth to get 13 points
  • Wellington to get 14 points
  • Newcastle to get 14 points

The run home for those teams is as follows (home games in bold)

Victory: CC, AU, MH, CC, PG, BR, Syd, NJ, WP

Sydney: AU, PG, NJ, CC, WS, BR, AU, MV, WP, PG

Adelaide: Syd, CC, MV, WP, BR, WS, Syd, WP, MH, NJ

Perth: MH, Syd, WS, BR, WP, MV, WS, NJ, CC, Syd

Wellington: NJ, MH, CC, AU, PG, MH, NJ, AU, Syd, MV

Newcastle: WP, BR, Syd, WS, MH, CC, WP, PG, MV, AU

And Heart: PG, WP, BR, MV, NJ, WP, CC, BR, AU, WS

As I see it, not only can we not afford to lose any games to those six teams immediately above us, we probably can't afford to let any of them get a point against us. Assuming we can continue to win, I think Perth could be the first team that we could overtake. Wellington in NZ on Sunday week will be tough; they've been playing as well as anyone in 2014 and I think that's going to be the game that - if we win (and assuming we take care of Perth) - I'll think we have a glimmer of hope (let's not forget, we still haven't won an interstate away game in years). Not before that though, I'm afraid. And the week after, we've got the Roar coming to town, of course. It's very difficult to see us doing it and I think we're already at the stage of hoping the top three teams smash everyone except us and when in doubt with any other games, barracking for the draw. But it's not impossible, just yet. Geez, those extra two points against Adelaide would have been nice.

• Like 1