Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

• 2 weeks later...
Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy says his dynamic FFA Cup form is down to a revitalised fitness regime at the A-League club.

After scoring twice in a 2-1 win over Edgeworth last round, Mooy was again on the mark in Wednesday night's 5-1 drubbing of Wellington Phoenix.

The 24-year-old Australia international again set the pace for John van't Schip's side with a busy showing, opening the scoring expertly from the penalty spot.

He'll head off for Socceroos duty on Sunday, confident in his performances and his body after a knee injury in the finals series in May.

Mooy credits the arrival of Ed Leng, the club's new sports science head from English Premier League club Tottenham, for getting him up and running.

"I'm feeling good. I'm feeling stronger than last season, doing a lot of weights this year compared to last year," he said.

"It's not bulking up - it's more power work. The new fitness coach here is doing a great job."

According to the release of Professional Footballers Australia's A-League Injury Report, Leng arrived at the right time.

City is last on the ladder for players missing in action due to injuries last season.

And such is the luck that befalls Melbourne City, even the best win in the club's history on Wednesday night came with a cloud.

Half an hour into the 5-1 victory - which featured four penalties - Harry Novillo hobbled down the tunnel with a nasty-looking hamstring issue.

The French-born excitement machine was the most-dangerous attacker on the pitch before his injury, striking the crossbar and then scoring from tremendous solo efforts.

"Harry's a disappointment. He's probably injured - what he has we don't know," Van't Schip said.

"Hopefully, it's not something big because he's an important player. You saw in the beginning he was threatening, linking up dangerous and has a great finish."

Mooy, the FFA Cup's leading scorer, turns his hand to the challenges of Bangladesh and Tajikistan and hopes to continue his fine form.

"I know nothing about who we're playing but I'm sure we'll be informed," he said.

"It's a game that means a lot; the country needs the points, everyone is going to be giving 100 per cent."

First I've heard of our new fitness coach. 

Bloody  hell !!!!!!  Quality finish from well outside the box!!!

I love that current Melbourne player mooy starts and ex Melbourne player(in Europe) behich is benched

Kinda actually get what you mean; about time players were told playing locally equates to many other "better" European leagues

Edited by mattyh001

Fox Sports ratings has him as the Socceroos 5th best. I certainly thought he was better than that!

well obviously we are going to be biased and fox sports do have their favorites.

IMO Mooy is great for us and one of the best in our league and now finally we have a long term top player that will easily become a club legend in the years to come, but he does have his limits. most of those who play in the NT do play in higher standard leagues, so really we should expect him to be somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Dylan

His first touch was pretty rubbish last night. Ball always flung off his feet. Not like the other players around him who had a cleaner touch - BUT we are in pre-season and he played quite well in a good team and scored that cracker. But definitely not MOM. Rogic or Leckie for mine. The ability for Rogic to find passes or to make ridiculous cross pitch passes with 3 player around him was great to watch.

His first touch was pretty rubbish last night. Ball always flung off his feet. Not like the other players around him who had a cleaner touch - BUT we are in pre-season and he played quite well in a good team and scored that cracker. But definitely not MOM. Rogic or Leckie for mine. The ability for Rogic to find passes or to make ridiculous cross pitch passes with 3 player around him was great to watch.

No disrespect to you but I thought if anything both Rogic and Leckie had the first touch of a rapist last night.  I can think of at least4-5 times were Rogic knocked the ball 2 meters away from himself and hard to use his height and strength to win back possession.  Leckie's touch.... well, its Leckie.

Mooy's one big problem is his dwelling on the ball and the speed of his decision-making, although I must say it was faster than it is when he plays for us, obviously a Postecouglou influence. There is no way he will get that time against the likes of either Korea, Japan, Iran or Iraq, on or two of which the Socceroos will probably against in the next stage.  Which IMO is that he can't make it in the top flight in Europe.

well obviously we are going to be biased and fox sports do have their favorites.

IMO Mooy is great for us and one of the best in our league and now finally we have a long term top player that will easily become a club legend in the years to come, but he does have his limits. most of those who play in the NT do play in higher standard leagues, so really we should expect him to be somewhere in the middle.

I don't know about playing in higher standard leagues TBH.  Luongo was basically a passenger.  Davidson I think put in one decent cross to Ikonomides all night, and defensively he wasn't tested at all. His direct team mate Elrich an A-league player had a better game. Milligan, Spiranovic and Cahill are in China, where it is debatable what the standard is like given that A-League teams have beaten their best teams and the NT is not an Asian powerhouse.  Leckie's game is all about power and speed, although he plays in the Bundesliga,  Rogic has just started playing at Celtic.  Bailey Wright is basically a League 1 player that has just started playing in second tier in England, Irvine for some obscure team in a one-team league the SPL, Ikonomides on the bench at Lazio, Oar hasn't actually played in the Championship.

Mooy has his faults-really one- like all Socceroos do, but the best of the squad are not that far ahead of him, if at all.

I don't know about playing in higher standard leagues TBH.  Luongo was basically a passenger.  Davidson I think put in one decent cross to Ikonomides all night, and defensively he wasn't tested at all. His direct team mate Elrich an A-league player had a better game. Milligan, Spiranovic and Cahill are in China, where it is debatable what the standard is like given that A-League teams have beaten their best teams and the NT is not an Asian powerhouse.  Leckie's game is all about power and speed, although he plays in the Bundesliga,  Rogic has just started playing at Celtic.  Bailey Wright is basically a League 1 player that has just started playing in second tier in England, Irvine for some obscure team in a one-team league the SPL, Ikonomides on the bench at Lazio, Oar hasn't actually played in the Championship.

Mooy has his faults-really one- like all Socceroos do, but the best of the squad are not that far ahead of him, if at all.

Aaron Mooy has his head screwed on the right way. He knows he's a good player in the A-League, he plays for the best overall club in the A-League with its membership of the CFG, training facilities and world-wide connections, and that he'll get plenty of match time, and that at least from time to time he'll play for his country. He also knows his limitations and that there's no point in sitting on a bench somewhere, training every day but not playing football.

The Bangladeshi left back was a fkn disgrace, looked 10kg over weight. How Australia didn't will 10-0 ill never know. 

Mooy MOTM.

hadn't played for the national team in 5 years apparently either and it showed, Harps was well within his rights to blast Bangladesh last night for being so shit

But yeah, Mooy was great last night but I too am interested to see whether he addresses his over-dwelling on the ball issues because he will get caught out against better opposition.