Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

In my judgement Kalmar deserves a spot at least as much as Hoffman, which isn't very much. Football is meritocratic: teams sign the better players to achieve success. And Kalmar is a better player than Hoffman, and Kalmar does have the excuse that he missed the whole of his second season at the club, whilst that season Hoffman was proving that he's as bad a midfielder as he is a striker.

The only things Hoffman has going for him is his fitness and apparently his ability to do well at training, which is worthless really (you'd always take a player who's slack/poor at training and rips it up on match day rather than the opposite, namely Hoffman).

Many players can count themselves lucky to still be at the club, namely Hoffman, Kalmar, Velaphi, Ramsay, Wielaert and possibly Germano and Redmayne. And maybe next season will be the last season for all of them (excluding Wielaert, all those players are 25 or 26, and Velaphi is 27. They should pretty much be in their 'prime' now. They all have no excuses). Anyway, they all have been given a chance next season, maybe to prove that they are good enough to play beyond next season, or maybe just because it was too difficult to replace them all this off-season and they'll all be cut next season regardless. Either way, they are all signed for next season, and I doubt by the end of next season that we'll see anymore players 'lucky' to remain at the club again (as definitely by the end of next season, Man City won't allow for any sub-par players to remain in the squad).

If that's the case, makes you wonder why Klim, Zahra or, dare I say it, Sarkies were never given the same chances...

There would be few Greeks with lighter pockets who would disagree about Sarkies... failed to help Bergers avoid the drop and wasn't great at Port Melbourne either.

If that's the case, makes you wonder why Klim, Zahra or, dare I say it, Sarkies were never given the same chances...

There would be few Greeks with lighter pockets who would disagree about Sarkies... failed to help Bergers avoid the drop and wasn't great at Port Melbourne either.

Off topic, but have you got a view on why he didn't make an impact cadete?

I thought he looked pretty handy, though I felt his work rate was a bit light on, but put that down to lower fitness due to injuries.

I always thought when Sarkies was with us that he was a terrific hitter of the dead ball but hopeless in actual play. Whether that was lazy, slow or just not technically good enough I'm not sure, was only in my footballing infancy back then

There would be few Greeks with lighter pockets who would disagree about Sarkies... failed to help Bergers avoid the drop and wasn't great at Port Melbourne either.Taseski won the 'VPL U21 player year' in half a season with your beloved Moreland in 2012. As you would know, they got relegated, 9 points from 10th. Was it his fault?

Football is a team sport, the blame is never on one bloke...

There would be few Greeks with lighter pockets who would disagree about Sarkies... failed to help Bergers avoid the drop and wasn't great at Port Melbourne either. Taseski won the 'VPL U21 player year' in half a season with your beloved Moreland in 2012. As you would know, they got relegated, 9 points from 10th. Was it his fault?

Football is a team sport, the blame is never on one bloke...

I dont see how this is relevant at all  - My comments were about Sarkies not Taseski.

My point was that neither the supporters at Bergers or Port were that impressed with his performances with decent wages that any real argument could be mounted that his A League career was cut short.

Edited by cadete

Surely the money spent on Kalmar should have been used on a "squaddie" or developing striker.

Presumably he's a left-over into the second year of a two-year contract extension.

I don't understand why any "squad player" is given a two-year contract or extension. One year is enough? Kalmar is just sitting there blocking any one of a number of young players who could have easily warranted a one-year contract - Shroen, Dao, Retre, Petreski, O'Dea... - and also blocking the possible mid-season signing if someone worthwhile becomes available.

I don't know why we would expect any of those young players mentioned to offer more than Kalmar. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them so I'd trust the coaches at the club ahead of forum chatter. Kalmar probably won't be a starting mid when at full strength, but I think he's an important player. He's a depth player with quality and he'll provide competition for the other midfielders, including Mooy, for a spot.

I don't know why we would expect any of those young players mentioned to offer more than Kalmar. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them so I'd trust the coaches at the club ahead of forum chatter. Kalmar probably won't be a starting mid when at full strength, but I think he's an important player. He's a depth player with quality and he'll provide competition for the other midfielders, including Mooy, for a spot.

On one level you are right Sash.  Kalmar is definitely a better player NOW than say Retre, Dao & Petreski, but at his age we don't expect Nicky to get any better and currently he's not good enough to be a regular starter in a team that got the wooden spoon.  Not just my opinion, both Aloisi and JVS obviously saw him as a back up player.

Those young blokes I mentioned (or Schroen, who looks like a talent) may never be better players than Nicky, but surely we need to try to find someone with potential to be more than just a squadie in a wooden spoon side.  Anyway It seems Nicky wasn't re-signed this year, but rather is seeing out a (generous) 2 year deal. 

• Like 3

I don't know why we would expect any of those young players mentioned to offer more than Kalmar. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them so I'd trust the coaches at the club ahead of forum chatter. Kalmar probably won't be a starting mid when at full strength, but I think he's an important player. He's a depth player with quality and he'll provide competition for the other midfielders, including Mooy, for a spot.

You can't be serious in saying that he'll push mooy for a spot. Kalmars done mate unfortuantly, injuries just won out in the end.

Yeah he may not be a starting 11 player, but he was hardly the reason we finished last. I don't understand the negativity towards him. Other than the usual reaction people have of wanting a cull of anybody who isn't a proven star or an unknown 20 year old.

The NYL players have played regularly. And they've been watched and assessed. The reality is that most of them will never be heard of again. We'll be lucky if one or two of them turn out as good as Kalmar. I mean, people are just living in hope by proposing all these kids who many haven't got much of a clue about. If Kalmar played regularly at the same level that these kids do, he would absolutely destroy it. Which he should of course. But the gap is such that the vast majority of the kids simply won't make it.

How many local kids have progressed from our youth team into senoir football? Most of our successful young players have been known quantities, recruited from interstate like Babalj, Garrucio or Mauk, or recruited as known talents like Good. They were always likely to make the jump to professional football. The only youth league product I can really think of off the top of my head is Goodwin, who nevertheless had a journey throuh various clubs and I think was about 23 anyway.

The way club lists are, there isn't enough room to bring in youth players who still need years of development before they can perform as a solid A League player. And unfortunately, they cant stay in the youth league side after a certain age. It doesn't really make sense to say on the one hand that every spot on the list needs to be filled by a quality player, and then also demand spots for speculating on kids who will take time to get to that level, if in fact they ever do.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

While I'd love to eat my words, I'd suggest that O'Dea, Petreski and Dao won't amount to much as footballers, I like the look of them. Schroen I'm undecided on, but I imagine he'll get the same deal as Walker and Mitchinson this year as those loophole youngsters.

Why Kalmar rather than a number of other Heart players attracts so much negativity from some is hard for me to fathom.

BTW, unless some have forgotten, Kalmar is only 26. He could easily still develop and get better, as lots of footballers older than him have and do (so called 'late bloomers').

And there are respectable arguments to backup the club's decision to have Kalmar for next season.

The first is that he's a good A-League midfielder that can play either as an attacking midfielder (CAM), or as a defensive midfielder (DM). Heart will probably get a new CAM to be a starter for next season, but what if he gets injured? Kalmar and probably Mauk can be the backup to start. As for the 2 DM positions, as Heart will likely use 2 DMs next season, you'd want at least 4 DMs, especially if a team has players like Germano who will get injured. Mooy will probably start as 1 of the DMs, and Murdocca and Germano and Kalmar can compete for the other position. And if Kalmar doesn't end up starting, he can make a real impact off the bench, like he did went he was instrumental in helping Heart get the 2 final goals in the last derby and making the team much more attacking.

A second key argument for keeping Kalmar is that you want young players to have to earn their spot. Competition is good. So it's good if Mauk has to compete with Kalmar to come off the bench and substitute the CAM in the second half, for instance. Just promoting young players whimsically is a sure recipe for failure and underachievement. Just giving senior contracts erratically to young players like O'Dea can easily result in wasted squad spots (Mitchinson? Ante Tomic?).

So I don't see why some hold a grudge against Kalmar, and are significantly more negative towards him than a number of other Heart players, who are equally if not more deserving of questioning.

I agree with what's being said about Kalmar and to further add a plus for him he has the one ability that most players don't have, and he has shown it this season once or twice when he has played, in that he can control the tempo of the play extremely well. Great quality to have in a player.

I am a critic of Kalmar. At 26 I don't believe that he will improve - this is of course a matter of subjective judgement, and I do note that Muefy1 is optimistic that he could be a late bloomer. Was it injury that cruelled his career (very much like Sarkies)? I guess we'll never know for certain. For me he has always lacked creativity, although in one match against AU he did perform exceptionally well. His positioning could be better as well and for me his defensive work needs to improve (and that is something that can be improved with time). So right now whether he was given a contract extension or whether he is completing his contract, the club will have him next season. If he was given a contract extension then I can only presume that the coaching staff not only thought that players from our NYL side were not good enough to get a contract but also that all of the other NYL players for the other teams were not good enough either. From a socceroos perspective this is incredibly depressing.

• Like 1

I had forgotten about Mauk. That makes Kalmar 6th (or equal 5th) in line.

Now whilst the young lads mentioned above might not have earned a contract just yet, surely to press for their spot they're better pressing mauk, germano and murdocca rather than a sometimes fit kalmar.

As for having 4 DM's - sadly I think you'll fit the salary cap means such a specific thing isn't always possible. 

I am a critic of Kalmar. At 26 I don't believe that he will improve - this is of course a matter of subjective judgement, and I do note that Muefy1 is optimistic that he could be a late bloomer. Was it injury that cruelled his career (very much like Sarkies)? I guess we'll never know for certain. For me he has always lacked creativity, although in one match against AU he did perform exceptionally well. His positioning could be better as well and for me his defensive work needs to improve (and that is something that can be improved with time). So right now whether he was given a contract extension or whether he is completing his contract, the club will have him next season. If he was given a contract extension then I can only presume that the coaching staff not only thought that players from our NYL side were not good enough to get a contract but also that all of the other NYL players for the other teams were not good enough either. From a socceroos perspective this is incredibly depressing.

A key point that is overlooked by most of us far too often.

It's probably unfortunate that we end up discussing one or two players in this context. It used to be Hoffman, now it's Kalmar.

This really strikes at the heart of the salary and numbers caps issues. Are these caps, set at their present levels, a help or a hindrance to the development of football in this country? I'm leaning towards the latter.

• Like 1

Totaly agree JW1793 i think the cap should be raised to introduce more competion for clubs to sign players and to enable clubs to retain worthwhile contracted players who get noticed by oversea's clubs and offer more than the local clubs can afford to keep those players. The raising of cap levels would also enable clubs to retain NYL players who are developing and would be competant enough to step up to senior level.

• Like 2

A key point that is overlooked by most of us far too often.

It's probably unfortunate that we end up discussing one or two players in this context. It used to be Hoffman, now it's Kalmar.

This really strikes at the heart of the salary and numbers caps issues. Are these caps, set at their present levels, a help or a hindrance to the development of football in this country? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Totaly agree JW1793 i think the cap should be raised to introduce more competion for clubs to sign players and to enable clubs to retain worthwhile contracted players who get noticed by oversea's clubs and offer more than the local clubs can afford to keep those players. The raising of cap levels would also enable clubs to retain NYL players who are developing and would be competant enough to step up to senior level.

The problem with raising the salary cap on its own is that there is no guarantee that existing 'squaddies' just get higher pay. That is effectively a flat pay rise across the board without really achieving much for the clubs or player development. Raising both the salary cap and the squad size will allow for larger teams but only 11 will take to the field and there will be 4 on the bench. So that means that you have a lot of players that are not getting decent game time.

One possible solution would be for the A-League clubs to have formal affiliations with state based clubs where players that are not selected will play in the state team. The problem of course is that the seasons are not concurrent.

Another option is to raise the squad size cap to effectively have a reserves team. These teams would play 'friendlies' or a B-League game thus giving them playing time. The cost would be enormous of course due to travel requirements. So perhaps this can be limited to friendlies with teams that share the same state or city. For example the Hearts B-team would only play Victory's B-team, WSW vs Sydney, CCM vs Jets. This would cut the cost of travel/accommodation and give the players real game time. The drawback is that they will not be playing for points and PG, AU, BR, WP will be left out in the cold.

I have canvassed elsewhere that the NYL competition runs concurrently with the A-League but I was informed that that format was discontinued due to costs. Ultimately all of the above depends on the ability of clubs to be profitable or at least the losses to be minimal.

When the FRG met with club at the end of the home and away season, Simon Pearce said that at Manchester City, the squad philosophy was to have 2 world class players for each position and 5 world class utility players ... and that was the basic level of thought applied.

I recall that it was mentioned that they would look to apply a similar thought process for Heart's squad, but obviously the mix needed to be resolved, due to salary cap / player restrictions. Seeing who still has a contract, I wonder if it is becoming clearer as to the strategy employed

When the FRG met with club at the end of the home and away season, Simon Pearce said that at Manchester City, the squad philosophy was to have 2 world class players for each position and 5 world class utility players ... and that was the basic level of thought applied.

I recall that it was mentioned that they would look to apply a similar thought process for Heart's squad, but obviously the mix needed to be resolved, due to salary cap / player restrictions. Seeing who still has a contract, I wonder if it is becoming clearer as to the strategy employed

So my interpretation of that is the remaining 10 or so spots we have left will be the starting eleven pretty much? Or have I got that wrong...

On another note, I think those players resigned can play a role if the style of play and tatics of their position is drilled into them, so they know exactly what they have to do on the pitch. Like what they said they were going to try with the youth team training with the senior team a season or two ago, to have ready replacements. But I think that stopped when JA took over?

3 points

- Our midfield, especially its attacking dimension, was pretty good last season, and some of the statistics imply that it was one of the top midfields in the league. Heart created the 2nd most shots last season (381 http://www.foxsports.com.au/football) and created the most 'big chances' last season (with 59, although Heart was the worst at converting big chances [25.4%] http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/STAT-ATTACK/89632). So the main areas that needs to be fixed are the team's strikers, which will undoubtedly be done in this off-season, and the team's defence, and the recent releases indicate that the defence will be rebuilt.

- Young players do have a fair few opportunities, but as noted above, many simply do not make it as senior footballers and drop out (the same is true in EPL academies, where I'm pretty sure the drop out rate is around 60%). In Australia, the NYL makes it mandatory for all A-League clubs to have 14 young players, who can be as old as 21 (which means if Heart wanted, it could have kept Vrankovic and maybe Walker in the NYL team, if they were happy to play there). There is actually many who argue (although I'm undecided on this issue) that NYL players don't develop much because they only play against other young players, and what Australia needs to develop young players is an actual 2nd division where possibly A-League reserve sides could compete.

Another thing is that A-League clubs are able to sign 3 players from the NYL to the senior team, outside of the 23 player roster and outside of the salary cap. A-League sides are also given a few weeks to negotiate deals with NYL players before those players can be approached by other A-League clubs, meaning there is ample opportunity to retain young players.

- With a 23 player squad, if A-League sides recruit smartly, they can actually be pretty good in all positions. For example:

GKs: Redmayne , Velaphi CBs: Devere , Hamill , Kisnorbo , Wielaert  FULLBACKs: Davidson , Man City Youth , Hoffmann (possibly Germano and Garuccio as backup) DMs: Mooy , Paartalu , Germano , Murdocca CAMs: Marquee no 10 (VDV or whoever) , Kilkenny , Kalmar, Mauk WINGERS: Williams , Dugandzic , Garuccio , Ramsay STRIKERs: Kennedy , Giannou (maybe Williams as an option for ST)

And on NYL Senior contracts:

Archibald
Schroen
Retre

You can change a few players here or there, but it's still clear that Heart (and every A-League side) can have good depth in each area if they recruit well.

So I guess my overarching point is that signings will be much more important than cuts when it comes to rebuilding the squad this off-season, and now that Heart have the means and the recruiting power, we don't have to fret about releasing all of the perceived 'deadwood'. Also, many young players can easily be in the frame for senior game time, but it'll come down to JVS selecting them, and I'm certain he'll play more then a few young players next season no matter how much the squad strengthens. So as far as I can see, all concerns can be settled.

• Like 3

As football is a 'weakest link' game we need to have the strongest 'weakest link' side in the league to be the strongest side.

Not quite sure what you mean. I disagree if you mean that the 'weakest' player in a team truly reflects the overall strength of that team, as that's too simple.

I agree though that a good squad needs good depth, and good players across most or all positions.

Lets not underestimate though the importance of simply having a good starting XI.

Edited by Murfy1

What I mean is that the weakest contributor on the pitch decreases team performance on the whole by a greater amount than the strongest player increases it. We should aim for no weak links in our starting 11 (of course one starting player will always be at a lower level than the others) and minimising our 'weak link' depth players, especially in key positions. We'll get greater and consistent performance from this that signing our own ADP

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

What I mean is that the weakest contributor on the pitch decreases team performance on the whole by a greater amount than the strongest player increases it. We should aim for no weak links in our starting 11 (of course one starting player will always be at a lower level than the others) and minimising our 'weak link' depth players, especially in key positions. We'll get greater and consistent performance from this that signing our own ADP

Your probably right but Gazza spent most his career trying to prove the opposite...

Got a feeling that Heart might adopt the Barca core philosophy.. i.e 5-6 regulars that are top level in the league and filling out the other positions with youth players eager to make their mark mixed with some utility players.

That is interesting news about Papadopoulos. I've read that he as eligible for for Socceroos selection, so he might be considered an Australian player if he joined the A-League.

This is more speculative, but still interesting. A twitter rumour linking Heart with goalkeeper Sergio Romero

The Heart of Melbourne Australia are interested in Sampdoria goalkeeper (In AS Monaco), Sergio Romero. Offer € 150,075. # Transfers

(Translated. https://twitter.com/F_Fichajes/status/462453919109885952)

Well, that highlights video of Redmayne on Youtube complied almost certainly by his agent/representatives did surface several weeks ago...

That is interesting news about Papadopoulos. I've read that he as eligible for for Socceroos selection, so he might be considered an Australian player if he joined the A-League.

This is more speculative, but still interesting. A twitter rumour linking Heart with goalkeeper Sergio Romero

The Heart of Melbourne Australia are interested in Sampdoria goalkeeper (In AS Monaco), Sergio Romero. Offer € 150,075. # Transfers

(Translated. https://twitter.com/F_Fichajes/status/462453919109885952)

Well, that highlights video of Redmayne on Youtube complied almost certainly by his agent/representatives did surface several weeks ago...

I hope some of these rumours are true. Four years of drought - I want to see it rain!

• Like 1