Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

I hope that 99% of these rumours are untrue.

I have this sinking feeling that we are still looking at players because they're available rather than building a squad that will function as a team.

So far I haven't seen the changes in administration that I hoped for...

I have this sinking feeling that we are still looking at players because they're available rather than building a squad that will function as a team.

Well so far the ones that seem to be happening have all been young players in different positions. Id say the City people think they can develop them a hell of a lot better than the previous admin. 

Edited by Dylan

Chapman is at least young enough to develop. Brown is 24 - he's got maybe a season left to develop and then arguably he should be at full potential (ala the kalmar situation). He's an AM, hasn't scored in 28 games w/ Newcastle and scored 9 goals in 38 games which is just over a goal every 4 games. Not atrocious, but not brilliant.

I hope JW that the rumours are untrue as well. Hopefully it's just australian media not used to linking us with quality players.

You wanted the club ripped apart mid-season?

You wanted the club ripped apart mid-season?

Heart's season ended ages ago. 

• Like 1

Brown is 24 - he's got maybe a season left to develop and then arguably he should be at full potential (ala the kalmar situation).

I hate comments like this, plenty of players out there that broke through at much later ages.

• Like 3

Brown is 24 - he's got maybe a season left to develop and then arguably he should be at full potential (ala the kalmar situation).

I hate comments like this, plenty of players out there that broke through at much later ages.

of course there's exceptions to the rule, but in this league it doesn't happen frequently as far as i've seen.

of course there's exceptions to the rule, but in this league it doesn't happen frequently as far as i've seen.

Bz, a lot of things don't happen frequently in this league. But then again, some do. :huh:

Well, it's not like the club can sign players that are unavailable..

Although if Chapman is signed that's pretty much signing a player that's unavailable, as he's contracted to the Jets for another season, and it's almost certain that no other A-League club could pry Chapman from the Jets (since transfers aren't allowed between A-League clubs). If Heart sign Chapman it'll be a coup, and it will be a sign that Heart has developed a very strong pulling power since the takeover, that's motivating players (like Chapman, and possibly Jacob Melling) to try pretty hard to agitate to get their contracts terminated so they can join Heart.

Going forward, an interesting question will be how many players that were previously accurately considered unavailable end up getting signed by Heart. Chapman and Melling are good examples, as they were/are contracted to other A-League clubs, and rarely in the A-League's history have played terminated contracts early to move to other A-League clubs. If it becomes commonplace for A-League players to leave their clubs early that would be a Big change. Also, do good Australian players in Europe and Asia come back to Australia more readily to join Heart, than they otherwise would have pre-takeover? For instance, I think it's likely that Valeri could pick up a Serie B contract, and Kilkenny could pick up a League 1 or maybe Championship contract, but will these sorts of players instead decide return from overseas to play in the A-League for Heart? That would also be a big positive change. 

I get what you mean (in particular the point about building a team rather than signing a lot of individual players is a very good one), but on the availability of players I think many don't realise just how limited the amount of Australian players that the club can sign is. First, there's a pretty limited amount of Australian players in general (for example, it's astounding how few Australian RBs are out there), and then many are contracted, and then the there's often competition for the few that aren't tied down to contracts (and only having little money to offer players who sign inside the salary cap doesn't help).

Second, The club has real restrictions on who it can sign (the most obvious being the salary cap). Restrictions like all clubs needing 3 players under 20 means that Heart must sign a player of Chapman's age, for instance (BTW, it would be a waste to sign Archibald inside the 23-man squad, when he can be signed outside it. Signing him outside it means the club can effectively get 2 players for 1, e.g. Archibald and Chapman, or Archibald and Melling).

If Heart sign James Brown the club will be rightly hammered (because he's 24, and he's shown precious little over the past 2 seasons, and even though signing players is tough surely there are alternatives [Neil Kilkenny? Nathan Burns? and others]). Brown could quite conceivably come good, and return to being the 6 goals a season midfielder he was in 2011/12 at Gold Coast, or he could become better, like numerous players that have come good at his age or older (off the top of my head, Daniel Mcbreen in his mid-30s went from scoring at most 5 goals a season to scoring 19 in 2012/13 and being the golden boot, and David Williams is another solid example, as he went from scoring at most 5 goals a season to scoring 12 this season, in a team that had a poor season). But Brown wouldn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming Engelaar goes, the club will bring in 10 new players (and probably a guest player as well). It's my judgement that by the end of recruitment, most will agree that 7 of the 10 are good signings. But circumstances limit the availability of signings, and this season at least signing 10 out of 10 good players is almost certainly impossible. It might well be the case that after a few seasons of the new ownership (maybe even by the 2015/16 season, who knows), the club can have truly good players in every single squad spot. But this off-season, because a whole 10 players have to be recruited in this single transfer window, and 6 or 7 players will have to be signed under the cap, we'll very likely have to put up with a blemish or two on what I reason to be a very strong period of recruitment overall.

• Like 2

Murf, we will have 14-15 NYL players. I don't see the point of clogging up a list with someone like James Brown (and others like him) just for the sake of filling the 23rd place in the seniors, when we don't have to and can, if required by injuries, bring up an NYL player.

Chapman yes, Melling yes, but James Brown no.

A very reliable source in China suggests Ryan McGowan will be released after world cup.He want to go back to uk, but he did not play very well this season. IMO a top RB choice for us and he could play CB easily

• Like 1

A very reliable source in China suggests Ryan McGowan will be released after world cup.He want to go back to uk, but he did not play very well this season. IMO a top RB choice for us and he could play CB easily

Would be a great signing actually, although I imagine he'd have to take a pretty hefty wage cut to fit under the cap.

Would be a great signing actually, although I imagine he'd have to take a pretty hefty wage cut to fit under the cap.

He probably will get around 2 million US dollars for one and a half seasons in China. If we could offer best facility and best chance help him back to Europe, I guess he will accept quiet low wage comparing to his ability

Here's a bit of a transfer round up on Australian players:

- James Brown & Connor Chapman

The Newcastle newspaper ran the story that Brown (unfortunately) and Chapman are linked with Heart. Curiously, the new Jets coach Stubbins said the balance between youth and experience isn't right:

Joel Griffiths and David Carney head a list of players off contract that includes Josh Mitchell, Nick Ward, Joey Gibbs and James Brown.

Brown was linked  yesterday to a move to Melbourne Heart.

Young defender Connor Chapman’s future is also uncertain, and he also has been linked to the Heart.

‘‘If you look at the clubs at the pointy end of the A-League, they have the balance [between youth and experience] right,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘In terms of the players here, there has been a good influx of youth. Next year is an opportunity to see the fruition of that potential reach its maximum. 

‘‘We definitely need the balance right.

‘‘To keep some experienced players is something at the forefront of our mind, and maybe bring in an experienced player as well.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2263341/time-to-get-tough-phil-stubbins-video/?cs=12

- Carl Valeri (& Christian Esposito)

Said to be interested in a A-League move:

Hearing Carl Valeri is thinking about playing A-League so is Christian Esposito. Both formerly on the books of Italian Serie A clubs

https://twitter.com/Val61/status/462455597103730688

- David Carney (& Joel Griffiths)

Has been approached by other A-League clubs:

Veterans Joel Griffiths and David Carney have held talks with Middleby but are attracting interest from rival clubs.

- Daniel Georgievski

Seems set to leave Steau, although he's reported to have attracted interest from a few clubs across Europe

- James Wesolowski

His coach says there's only 50-50 odds that he'll sign a new contract. He's highly rated at Oldham, with the Oldham newspaper voting him the player of the season. And he is "likely to pick up multiple prizes" at the club's awards night: 

- Shane Lowry

No new info, but it looks like he'll leave Millwall. Could be a good CB (his old position) besides being an ok LB.

Nathan Burns & Adrian Madaschi

Both apparently uncontracted. Madaschi known to be interested in an A-League move, and Burns (on loan at the Jets in the 13/14 season) would presumably be open to one.

Edited by Murfy1

So the Melbourne Derby again opens the season. I do not know why they insist on wasting a Derby on a weeken that will sell it self as the opening round.

Hopefully it's a Friday night so SBS can have a crack at it. Would be good promotion for the start of the new season.

Melbourne derby to open season 10, while A-League will break for the 2015 Asian Cup in January

Matt Windley

May 7 2014

THE Manchester City revolution at Melbourne Heart will start with a bang when the club clashes with cross-town rival Melbourne Victory in Round 1 next season.

The Herald Sun can also ­reveal the A-League is almost certain to go into recess during January’s Asian Cup, to be played in Australia.

It is due in part to the 16-­nation tournament that the most-anticipated Melbourne derby in A-League history will be played at Etihad Stadium on the opening weekend of season 10.

Heart - which is expected to be rebranded Melbourne City, in the coming months - and Victory have met in Round 1 in the past two ­seasons.

Played in front of a crowd of before 45,202 at Docklands, last October’s game, in particular, was criticised as dour affairand questions were raised about why the first meeting between the clubswas not delayed a few weeks in order to allow the teams to shake off early-season rust.

But it is Victory’s turn to host two of the three derbies next season and if it wants to play those games at the larger capacity Etihad Stadium — rather than AAMI Park — it must get one out of the way immediately.

The club is again expected to play about five home games at Etihad Stadium and most, if not all,of those must be played early in the season because of the stadium’s Big Bash cricket and AFL commitments.

Football Federation Australia is also understood to be in favour of scheduling as many blockbusters matches as possible in the opening rounds of the season so as to maximise attendances and TV ratings.

Like last season, the 2014-15 campaign is expected to kick off straight after the AFL and NRL grand finals.

In the latest draft of the ­fixture, not due to be released until mid-year, the season’s first game is to be played on Friday, October 10.

FFA had been entertaining the idea ofconsidering playing A-League games during the Asian Cup, which will be played in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and Newcastle from January 9-31.

A-League boss Damien De Bohun had floated the prospect of games being staged elsewherethroughoutin Asia, as well as in Australian markets where Asian Cup games will not be held.

To fit the 27-round season plus finals into the October-May window used last season, it is expected that clubs will play several midweek games. December is likely to be the busiest period.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-derby-to-open-season-10-while-aleague-will-break-for-the-2015-asian-cup-in-january/story-fnk6pqhd-1226909354114

It looks like the derby will start the season for 2 key reasons: the first is because the FFA insist on it (due to some dubious logic that its required to maximise ratings). The second reason is that victory have a stupidly long contract with Etihad stadium and have to play at least 5 games there, and because Etihad is apparently busy later in the year victory insist on having a derby in the earlier part of the season.

Some transfer news that could impact Heart. There's multple reports that Sydney CB Matt Jurman will go to Newcastle (From SBS, the Newcastle Herald and SST). It looks like there could well be some transfer musical chairs, and now that the Jets have signed 24 year old Jurman they might release 19 year old Connor Chapman for Melbourne Heart to sign. Would be a good pick up.

Three years running we start the season with an away derby at probably the worst stadium for football used in the A-League. 

Up yours FFA. 

And IMO a complete waste of a Melbourne derby. Many people coming down off the high of the AFL GF. Would be far better to allow both us and the Visitors to build up some momentum, get a bit of newspaper coverage (especially if there are a couple of marquees in town), etc. etc. before staging the first derby of the year.

FFA has no idea.

• Like 1

Jet Connor Chapman feels tug of Heart

James Gardiner

May 8 2014

THE shake-up at the Newcastle Jets has begun with promising defender Connor Chapman in talks to join A-League rivals the Melbourne Heart.

Chapman has a year to run on his contract in Newcastle after signing an extension in December but sources indicate that the Jets are willing to release the 19-year-old centre back.

The former Joeys captain was a favourite of previous coach Gary van Egmond but has not been sighted in the top team since round six.

Fairfax Media understands the deal would include an onsell clause in which the Jets would receive a portion, believed to be 20 per cent, of a transfer fee if he moved to a bigger club.

Negotiations began before the appointment of Phil Stubbins but the new coach is understood to have been briefed on the situation.

The Jets are rumoured to be close to signing Sydney FC defender Matt Jurman.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said it was club policy not to comment on player recruitment.

Chapman’s manager,Richie Hinton, declined to comment.

The Heart released defenders Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic and Jeremy Walker last week, leaving former Socceroo Patrick Kisnorbo and Dutchman Robbie Wielaert as the remaining central defenders.

The Jets do not have an abundance of depth at the back. Dutch international Kew Jaliens and Taylor Regan are contracted, but Josh Mitchell, who started in the final nine games, is yet to re-sign.

Highly rated youth team centre backs Nick Cowburn and Tom Whiteside have attended national team age camps in the past year.

Stubbins, meanwhile, flew to Thailand to finalise his departure from previous club Ayutthaya before travelling to the United Kingdom and is expected back in late May.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2268058/jet-connor-chapman-feels-tug-of-heart/?cs=12

SBS @TheWorldGame: We're hearing rumours that Connor Chapman is poised to sign with @MelbourneHeart. Watch this space #sbsaleague

https://twitter.com/TheWorldGame/status/464221790512771073

Some nice wheeling and dealing from Heart. We seem to be the only A-League club to rather regularly use sell-on clauses (although previously we pretty much used them when we sold players on). Now that the club doesn't have to worry about finances, we can readily offer other A-League clubs sell on clauses (our reputation for being able to develop youth and sell players overseas, like Good, Hamill, Babalj and Behich probably helps here as well). It's arguably as good as a transfer fee (which aren't allowed in the A-League), so it's some pretty smart business to obtain a good player that Jets supporters are already lamenting the loss of.

Edited by Murfy1

The more I think about it, the more I agree that Chapman would actually be a pretty good signing. 

My hype will be destroyed if we sign James Brown though, unless he's on minimum wage and signed merely as a squaddie so we can sign more expensive players under the cap.

Personally I'd be happy to go into next season with Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Chapman and Archibald our 4 centre backs.

To me, it's our full backs which need a lot more addressing.

Agreed.

Can live with those above cbs, real concern fullbacks, even more is goalkeepers. Maybe no real choice, but I have no confidence in either long term.

Although our playing roster is going to be getting close to full what I've seen (and heard reported) from Kristian Konstantinidis is that he continues to get better and better in that right back spot, tough as nails too. Even though he's an ex-player, I'd love to see him get a trial gig in a few pre-season games.

Jet Connor Chapman feels tug of Heart

James Gardiner

May 8 2014

THE shake-up at the Newcastle Jets has begun with promising defender Connor Chapman in talks to join A-League rivals the Melbourne Heart.

Chapman has a year to run on his contract in Newcastle after signing an extension in December but sources indicate that the Jets are willing to release the 19-year-old centre back.

The former Joeys captain was a favourite of previous coach Gary van Egmond but has not been sighted in the top team since round six.

Fairfax Media understands the deal would include an onsell clause in which the Jets would receive a portion, believed to be 20 per cent, of a transfer fee if he moved to a bigger club.

Negotiations began before the appointment of Phil Stubbins but the new coach is understood to have been briefed on the situation.

The Jets are rumoured to be close to signing Sydney FC defender Matt Jurman.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said it was club policy not to comment on player recruitment.

Chapman’s manager,Richie Hinton, declined to comment.

The Heart released defenders Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic and Jeremy Walker last week, leaving former Socceroo Patrick Kisnorbo and Dutchman Robbie Wielaert as the remaining central defenders.

The Jets do not have an abundance of depth at the back. Dutch international Kew Jaliens and Taylor Regan are contracted, but Josh Mitchell, who started in the final nine games, is yet to re-sign.

Highly rated youth team centre backs Nick Cowburn and Tom Whiteside have attended national team age camps in the past year.

Stubbins, meanwhile, flew to Thailand to finalise his departure from previous club Ayutthaya before travelling to the United Kingdom and is expected back in late May.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2268058/jet-connor-chapman-feels-tug-of-heart/?cs=12

SBS @TheWorldGame: We're hearing rumours that Connor Chapman is poised to sign with @MelbourneHeart. Watch this space #sbsaleague

https://twitter.com/TheWorldGame/status/464221790512771073

Some nice wheeling and dealing from Heart. We seem to be the only A-League club to rather regularly use sell-on clauses (although previously we pretty much used them when we sold players on). Now that the club doesn't have to worry about finances, we can readily offer other A-League clubs sell on clauses (our reputation for being able to develop youth and sell players overseas, like Good, Hamill, Babalj and Behich probably helps here as well). It's arguably as good as a transfer fee (which aren't allowed in the A-League), so it's some pretty smart business to obtain a good player that Jets supporters are already lamenting the loss of.

Good work JD then? ;)

• Like 1

Personally I'd be happy to go into next season with Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Chapman and Archibald our 4 centre backs.

To me, it's our full backs which need a lot more addressing.

100%, if we go into next season with Hoffman still as our starting RB then we're already destined to fail. 

Not because of Hoffman necessarily being bad (thought he was alright and one of our better performers this season), but more a case of us lacking ambition to create a more competitive environment around the club. Strong defensive units win titles (see Brisbane, see Central Coast, see WSW), they ALL had strong back fours. 

If we want to get serious, we need to start being serious about our squad selections because with the A-League's squad size and salary cap limitations, it's crucial to make sure the signings are right and each and every one benefits the club significantly enough to challenge for top honours.

Agree, our CB stocks are looking solid with Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Chapman and Archibald all in the senior team. I wouldn't mind though if we got 1 more good CB to make the centre of our defence spectacular (which would allow for a pretty attacking 'FIFA style' midfield).

And really agree that we need to do something about our fullbacks. Hopefully the club have something in the works, as they released both Walker and Mitchinson.

Does anyone know when the summer transfer windows open BTW? I'm wondering if there will be more news about Heart recruiting players then, as Heart might be targeting players that are contracted in Europe, where JVS, Didulica and co seemingly still are ATM.

Agree, our CB stocks are looking solid with Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Chapman and Archibald all in the senior team. I wouldn't mind though if we got 1 more good CB to make the centre of our defence spectacular (which would allow for a pretty attacking 'FIFA style' midfield).

And really agree that we need to do something about our fullbacks. Hopefully the club have something in the works, as they released both Walker and Mitchinson.

Does anyone know when the summer transfer windows open BTW? I'm wondering if there will be more news about Heart recruiting players then, as Heart might be targeting players that are contracted in Europe, where JVS, Didulica and co seemingly still are ATM.

Madaschi would complete our centre back contingent.

• Like 1