Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

So weve signed 3 more fringe players?

Exception to chapman maybe but once again the question shalk be asked, would these 3 be starting 11 material at other clubs?

Why do they have to be starting XI material? Depth is good, Chapman and Melling are both really promising players and will develop.

Admittedly I'm holding my reservations on Brown but he may yet turn out to be alright, not sure about signing him on a 2 year deal though.

Exception to chapman maybe but once again the question shalk be asked, would these 3 be starting 11 material at other clubs?

The reality is, there are not alot of good players off contract and most aus players overseas would cost more money and therefore cant fit under the cap. 

Edited by Dylan

I'm happy with two of those signings and Brown may yet come on. People seem to have a two paced agenda when it comes to the club. They want the best starting 11 players with the best young talent playing regularly (they don't become good without playing time making mistakes) they want a flawless record and all under the cap.

Back to reality. Sometimes you have to back young players that might not be 'starting 11 material' to actually discover and recognise their talent. They don't get better on the bench or with 5 minutes of game time. I'm sure in time some 'starting 11 players' will be bought in sit back relax and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

Happy to he proven wrong but I wouldn't be expecting any silverware in the near future with the shape of our current squad.

But hey, at least we got depth to replace an average starter with an even more average replacement should someone get injured/suspended.

Keep accepting mediocrity lads

• Like 1

Largely, I think the squad is looking great, with the three-four 'big ones' to come.

Excited about the kids. Between Melling, Mauk, Chapman, Archibald, Schroen, Garuccio and Mooy, we have a huge talent pool of potential next-gen Socceroos in our ranks.

• Like 3

I'm happy with two of those signings and Brown may yet come on. People seem to have a two paced agenda when it comes to the club. They want the best starting 11 players with the best young talent playing regularly (they don't become good without playing time making mistakes) they want a flawless record and all under the cap.

Back to reality. Sometimes you have to back young players that might not be 'starting 11 material' to actually discover and recognise their talent. They don't get better on the bench or with 5 minutes of game time. I'm sure in time some 'starting 11 players' will be bought in sit back relax and enjoy the ride.

Good post

interesting that they haven't confirmed Mooy yet

Wsw are still in the ACL

This shouldn't matter. In the same way that Shinji Ono has already left WSW, despite them still being in the ACL, so too Mooy should already have played his final game as a WSW player, as was reported last week:

It wasn’t only Ono’s last game for the Wanderers, with Youssouf Hersi moving on to Perth Glory, Aaron Mooy off to Melbourne Heart and Jerome Polenz likely to leave the club too.

The rebuilding will begin in earnest during the off-season, but Popovic says that’s all part of football.

“They were all outstanding, but you’ve got players who are leaving the club and they performed to that level,” Popovic said.

“It just shows the bond these players have. They will always be remembered, but that’s part of football - you move on.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-overturn-twogoal-deficit-to-reach-acl-quarterfinals-and-send-shinji-ono-off-in-style/story-fnk6rpyc-1226918069428

As for the squad overall, it should be remembered that Heart needn't make anymore youth signings, whilst other A-League clubs still have to.

Also, Heart still has 2 big cards up its sleeve with the International marquee and Australian marquee spots. Compare that with victory, who have very arguably wasted their Australian marquee spot on Milligan and their international marquee spot on Berisha (both of them are good A-League players, of course, but so much more could be done with the marquee spots). Also, it's been reported that Sydney will likely sign Alex Brosque as their Australian marquee. And the odds of Sydney signing a 35+ international marquee in rapid decline are pretty high. As for all other A-League clubs, I'd say most won't get 2 marquees (and many marquees will just be signed to secure not actual marquee players outside of the cap).

And finally as for salary cap signings, Davutovic reported a little over a week ago that Heart has "significant salary cap space to secure two more visa players"  (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-poach-newcastle-jets-talented-duo-connor-chapman-and-james-brown/story-fnk6rlg0-1226914874845). So alongside the announcement of Mooy, there should be at least 2 other good players that will be signed inside the salary cap. 

Heart pretty much started recruitment with the signing of the less impressive players first, and the best is yet to come. And our best players look set to easily be better than other A-League teams best players.

• Like 1

I think it's looking good.

With 2 marques to come and 2 more good visa players to come that's 4 out of 10 field players who will push the currently announced squad out. So almost half our stating team is yet to be signed. I think we will be very competitive with a squad like that.

So these are purely guesses:

40k - Chapman*, Mauk*, Melling*

50k - Kalmar, Velaphi, Garuccio

75k - Redmayne, Brown

160k - Murdocca

200k - Dugandzic, Ramsay, Germano

220k - Kisnorbo, Wielaart, Williams

260k - Mooy

= 2m.

Outside the cap:

- Junior Marquee

- Local Marquee

- International Marquee

500k of cap remaining for:

- 2 more 50k youth players

- 400k for between 2 to 5 other players

With all that, you can see why we just filled 3 spots with cheap options, as there's not much left in the cap.

75k - Redmayne, Brown

160k - Murdocca

260k - Mooy

= 2m.

Outside the cap:

- Junior Marquee

- Local Marquee

- International Marquee

With all that, you can see why we just filled 3 spots with cheap options, as there's not much left in the cap.

Isn't Germano getting under 100k? I believe he's complained about how crappy his wages are in the past. 

Also, I'll cry with rage if Ramsay is on 200k a season.

I'm happy so far, especially Chapman. Brown is interesting, he burst on the scene like the hot exchange student, then went missing. Though GVE had the Jets all sorts of terrible whith quite a good team, so not surprising.

75k - Redmayne, Brown

160k - Murdocca

260k - Mooy

= 2m.

Outside the cap:

- Junior Marquee

- Local Marquee

- International Marquee

Isn't Germano getting under 100k? I believe he's complained about how crappy his wages are in the past. 

Also, I'll cry with rage if Ramsay is on 200k a season.

He was originally signed on minimum wage. Don't know if he has since negotiated his way to a higher wage.

• Like 1

Bolton Wanderers Twitter.

I can confirm that a full list of Bolton's pre-season matches is there. We are included on Wednesday 23rd July.

We are due to play our FFA Cup match not long afterwards.

Edited by jw1739

From the Bolton website:

Bolton XI's pre-season schedule confirmed

Posted: Tue 20 May 2014

Additional five fixtures added to the Bolton Wanderers XI's pre-season schedule
Bolton Wanderers XI have finalised their pre-season schedule ahead of the 2014/15 campaign.

In addition to the previously announced Harold Taylor Memorial Trophy match against Chorley, a further five more fixtures have been added to the pre-season programme.

The Bolton XI team will face Bamber Bridge, Hyde FC, AFC Fylde and Wrexham all away from home, as well as a fixture against Australian side Melbourne Heart at the County Ground, Leyland.

The games against Bamber Bridge, Hyde and Chorley will all kick off at 3pm on Saturdays, with the Melbourne Heart, Fylde and Wrexham games to take place through the weeks.

Full dates and kick off times for the fixtures can be found below. Admission and ticket details will be announced in due course.

Bolton Wanderers XI’s pre-season schedule in full
Bamber Bridge (A), QED Stadium - Saturday 12 July, 3pm
Hyde FC (A), Ewen Fields - Saturday 19 July, 3pm
Melbourne Heart (H), County Ground - Wednesday 23 July, 7.30pm
Chorley (A), Victory Park - Saturday 26 July, 3pm
AFC Fylde (A), Kellamergh Park - Tuesday 29 July, 7.30pm
Wrexham (A), Racecource Ground - Friday 1 August, 7.45pm

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/bolton-xis-pre-season-schedule-confirmed-20.5.14-1565218.aspx

It's the Bolton Wanderers X1, whatever that means. Not the first team.

Bolton XI means a team of 11 players (hence XI in Roman numerals) from across their various squads. In practise it will mean a mix of reserve players, their best youths and maybe a handful of first teamers who need the match fitness.

Bolton is maybe 15 miles from Manchester. I'll mention the match on Bluemoon, you might get a few dozen City fans there.

• Like 2