Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Heard an interesting name thrown up last night from a contact who has been right before, Sam Allardyce.  Yes I know he is currently with West Ham, but the expectation is Sam and West Ham will part ways before the end of this season, and he will be available for next season. Apparently new owners are after a high profile appointment, but will wait until Sam is sacked, as this will reduce his price.  In the interim new coach for remainder of season will be internal, only I don't know who. 

clueless

Stop throwing EPL names in the Hat and get real ......

This is the A League - there is a million miles between the two 

Sorry this is a really poor attitude to have.

We have to now make a statement and be ambitious. And personally I could easily see an overseas type be very keen to move over here to manage in an up and coming positive league. 

• Like 1

Stop throwing EPL names in the Hat and get real ......

This is the A League - there is a million miles between the two 

Sorry this is a really poor attitude to have.

We have to now make a statement and be ambitious. And personally I could easily see an overseas type be very keen to move over here to manage in an up and coming positive league. 

Nothing at all to do with attitude

If it was down to me Id have Malky Mckay any day.... Along with Berbatov, Cahill, Henry, Brad Jones and Scot Parker with JK .

Its all very well having a wish list and hoping the best will come ....... But you have to be realistic 

If an EPL coach was interested in coming to The A League he would be here now and he would be at a glamourous Club with the big money and large support base 

Malky Mckay - AVB - Steve Clarke - the list goes on, they could all earn big bucks at smaller clubs in EPL or Championship take ya pick 

Seems like its pretty close for JVS to take the rest of the season. Foxe has left so that leaves JVS free to bring in another assistant, perhaps another international with links to the Cruyff academy? Id hope the new owners establish a strong panel to select the next coach and I hope JVS is on it, he definetly would have good contacts through his other work and there is no reason, new owners willing, the next full time coach will be a great one.

On another note, I am very interested to see how JVS has changed since his stint with us and the Mexican team.

Someone on twitter mentioned Ian Ferguson has been contacted by the club  :unsure:

Far from my ideal candidate, but he's really not that bad IMO..

He's a winner, a key man in the Rangers 9 year domination of Scottish football, a hardlined coach, good international reputation and his HAL record isn't too bad either... (well, better than JVS's)

NQF were very competitive in their first season under him and he took Glory from the worst side in the comp to GF finalists in his first full season. Pretty sure he is Perth's longest serving coach too, which is quite an achievement with that volatile fuckwit Sage at the helm.

I've said it many times, we need a top coach, we not only need to catch up, we want to move way ahead of other HAL teams. We need ambition, and this costs money. Easy for me to say as it's not my money but this next appointment is crucial and will reflect the extent of our true ambition. If we recycle an HAL coach or even keep JVS or hire a JVS level coach then it will be a lost opportunity. Crisis always includes opportunity, when things are most unstable they are most easy to change. 

I urge the new owners to be bold. If the deal falls through we'll get more of the same old same old from Sidwell et al. and the opportunity will be lost.

I've said it many times, we need a top coach, we not only need to catch up, we want to move way ahead of other HAL teams. We need ambition, and this costs money. Easy for me to say as it's not my money but this next appointment is crucial and will reflect the extent of our true ambition. If we recycle an HAL coach or even keep JVS or hire a JVS level coach then it will be a lost opportunity. Crisis always includes opportunity, when things are most unstable they are most easy to change. 

I urge the new owners to be bold. If the deal falls through we'll get more of the same old same old from Sidwell et al. and the opportunity will be lost.

I urge them to be sensible and make an informed decision with the clubs best interests in hand, no need for that to be a bold decision IMO.

I urge them to be sensible and make an informed decision with the clubs best interests in hand, no need for that to be a bold decision IMO.

Bold can be sensible, and should be sensible, but it needs to be ambitious without being rash. Appointing JVS is safe, he knows us, we know him, he knows the league, but it isn't bold.

Edited by belaguttman

Bold can be sensible, and should be sensible, but it needs to be ambitious without being rash. Appointing JVS is safe, he knows us, we know him, he knows the league, but it isn't bold.

May I ask bold in what way? Did you have someone in mind? I'd say you'd struggle to satisfy being both sensible and bold, I don't think signing a foreign coach who has no idea of whats availible is a good signing, for example, but by the same token, is there someone locally who has done enough to deserve a spot who has appropriate experience?

May I ask bold in what way? Did you have someone in mind? I'd say you'd struggle to satisfy being both sensible and bold, I don't think signing a foreign coach who has no idea of whats availible is a good signing, for example, but by the same token, is there someone locally who has done enough to deserve a spot who has appropriate experience?

We would have to stump up some serious cash and sell the promise of an HAL premiership goal and ACL competition. I think that we should look at a South American coach, they also don't have the luxury of always being able to buy a trophy and also don't always have fantastic facilities. It's no secret who would be on the top of my list as I've mentioned it many times (and he's currently out of work), his English is poor but his football would be amazing. It's an example of being visionary and bold but also choosing someone who has WC and La Liga experience. Expensive, yes.

The club won't do anything bold or visionary.

It will appoint JVS as interim coach, and he will cost a petty penny knowing how much in the shit we're in.

Then he will try for a two year deal similar to what he had, and probably get it.

THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

JVS did not set the A-League on fire and took the top team in Mexico to mid-table mediocrity.   He is not the Messiah.  In fact he nothing more than an ordinary coach who got poor-average results in a developing league, playing ineffective possession-based football for one season, and long ball direct football for another.  Mirabella was right: look local.

Agree with Bela. The time for dicking about with nearly good coaches and trying out unknowns surely must be well and truly over. The reset the club will hopefully get with new owners must come with a statement to the competition and importantly to the football public of Melbourne that we aim to be serious contenders for silverware. It's time we weren't thought of as little brother to the Tards and we came out swinging. If it's the Storm owners then there is a model of a club that has recruited the best players (Cooper Cromp, Billy Slater) and have hung onto an excellent coach (69% win record with Storm since 2003). If Bielsa is a possibility then his coaching honours appear impressive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Bielsa#Honours

It will appoint JVS as interim coach, and he will cost a petty penny knowing how much in the shit we're in.

Then he will try for a two year deal similar to what he had, and probably get it.

THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

JVS did not set the A-League on fire and took the top team in Mexico to mid-table mediocrity.   He is not the Messiah.  In fact he nothing more than an ordinary coach who got poor-average results in a developing league, playing ineffective possession-based football for one season, and long ball direct football for another.  Mirabella was right: look local.

JVS will not coach the Melbourne heart next season and i say this with confidence.

We haven't even guarenteed that he will coach the game this week! If he was so keen to coach the heart he would've been at the press conference or at least been in Melbourne when they announced the sacking of JA. He is happy with the arrangement of being in Melbourne for a couple of months of the year, his heart is just not in another long term stint overseas.

He will be a fine caretaker coach for the rest of the season, because he will blood some youth and we will be competitive. He will give us a reason to go to heart games for a long time

• Like 1

to puts things a little bluntly (and something that is probably rather obvious) this season is screwed.  teams that make finals in the 5th / 6th positions need roughly 34-36 points.  

thats 10 wins away (from only 15 games too) from a team that couldnt get 1 in 12.  not gonna happen without a shit load of rabbits out of a hat with the new gaffer.

from that stand point, i think we need a coach that we can build around for next season - someone with an ability to structure the way the club goes forward.  yes it would be good to see the team strive for results but TBH i just wanna see progression towards a team ethos and strategy that will be winning football next season.  

i'm starting to get quite shitty about all the talk with local coaches (Rudan, Bleiburg, etc.) excluding Edwards.  we have just gone through the worst spell with an inexperienced coach.  on what planet would you want another - that should rule out Rudan!!!  he might be up and coming but he has no real runs on the board.  as for Bleiburg, he did shite at Brisbane, average at Gold Coast with a big money marquee.  dont see him doing much here.  

Edwards is the only one i see doing something decent and even he doesnt have that many runs on the board.  the only reason i see him doing something decent is that he got Glory into shape and performing alright despite a number of senior players being out injured.

that for me leaves only foreign based coaches.  

i've said it before and will say it again, i could see Di Canio working.  yes he has had his problems for political views.  but people forget how well he did at Swindon on a budget and the fact he wasnt a complete prick on the field (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPxRtKTM2AU)

i'd also like the the to consider an Italian or German style.  just for something a bit different in terms of footballing approach.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

JVS wants a youth development job, this is where he will perform best. He may be a stop gap for now although I'd prefer a permanent coach if available. He'd probably also be good in JD's job although we'd then need someone to do the legal side. He's not a bold choice or even a wise choice for the permanent senior job