Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Mus 28 and others it's an opinion, I don't get on here much due to time but the language is pathetic, school,boy stuff. I think vid mar would be better for the experience he has/will gain in the next 6 months. Rather than post that rubbish how about an idea of your own.

fwiw the concerns that wherever edwards goes his sons come too is off the mark.

- cameron has already had a crack with us and couldn't get a game, doubt it would look particularly good bringing him back again.

- ryan is on loan from reading and i don't think they'll be in a hurry to give up a promising youngster without a hefty fee and since when would we even think about paying a transfer fee?

Mus 28 and others it's an opinion, I don't get on here much due to time but the language is pathetic, school,boy stuff. I think vid mar would be better for the experience he has/will gain in the next 6 months. Rather than post that rubbish how about an idea of your own.

Deepest apologies old chap. I personally would rather the club not make advances towards Aurelio Vidmar. I found his game plan to be very one dimensional. His successes in Asia were predominantly due to sticking 10 chaps in front of goal for 90 minutes and hoping that large fellow Van Dijk could win a free kick that which the could use their physical superiority to put the pig skin in the back of the onion bag. 

But lets just concentrate on an appearance in the ACL final and not abysmal league form during his time there

Can someone please give me an explanation as to why Allistair Edwards would be good for our club? Cunts a fucking joke if you ask me.

I think his record and work is worth an interview. Generally wants to play football the right way and believes in promotion and development of younger players.

I too have my doubts but as I said he is worth a shot.

Personally Phil Stubbins is the hardest coach there. Having played in teams with and against him in the past he's a hard task manager but a winner.

• Like 1

We should go for Papas on a 2 year deal

Get him into the club ASAP to assist JVS and to discover what he is up against next season.

Don't wait too long and waste preseason

Of the local possibles I also favour Papas. By all accounts  he lives, eats and sleeps football. He's local, he knows the club and JvS, having been Assistant with the NYL team until he was poached by Newcastle, and as you say he can get on board now for scouting and pre-season. Importantly he has no baggage.

• Like 1

some info on Papas, no mention of his time at Heart assisting the great JA. Too embarrassing I suppose.

Greek Australian Arthur Papas is making waves in Indian soccer.

Considered to be one of the best coaches in India, he is currently coaching the Olympic team and a team in the top tier of Indian football.

He left his Victorian roots to pursue an international career, and has been in India for a year making I-League team Dempo successful once more.

This meteoric rise has been something the young coach would never have expected ten years ago.

At the age of 25, he had to realise his Australian football career was finishing before it started. After six knee surgeries, he hung up his shoes and re-assessed his options. His love of football never left him, so he stuck close to the sport, and started making a name for himself as a coach.

He became the youngest coach in the Victorian Premier League at the age of 30, taking on Greek sponsored Oakleigh Cannons and leading them into the grand final.

For his efforts, he was awarded the best coach of the season in 2011.

He then followed into the top tier, coaching Newcastle Jets in the 2011/12 season, with the team finishing seventh.

He served as assistant coach for the U-17 Australian team that did wonders for his coaching skills. He now coaches for the Indian top tier club Dempo, and has brought the club back to life.

The club is currently in a transition period after being very successful in the past. Under the watchful eye of Papas, the club is now implementing a long term strategy on and off the field to get the club back to its former glory.

"This is one of the main reasons I came to the group," Papas tells Sport 24.

"There is still a long way to go to make the club viable and operate more efficiently. It takes time to get to this stage."

He bases much of his coaching technique on what he learnt from Dutch coach and former Australian U20s coach Jan Versleigen.

"My football philosophy has considerably evolved and continues to with my football experiences," he says.

"The teams I work with have a clear form of game. It's based on uninterrupted possession and combined with simple passes and creative movement."

Despite his success in India, Papas hopes to reassess his career options again, and could be returning to Australia soon or taking up a role in the Greek leagues.

He makes no secret that in his early years as a player, he'd watch Panathinaikos battle in the Super League.

"To work in Greece is a personal goal and of course it takes time to get to this level in order to have the right opportunity," he says.

He's already working on his technical skills to get Super League ready.

This article first appeared in sport24.gr in Greek.

FFS, he is the most obvious man for the role. He represents everything our club is supposed to stand for. To me, he will be the next big manager in Australian football, you only need to hear his thoughts on the game to know he will be a success. Aloisi sounded like a rock ape, this bloke sounds like a professor. Fuck me, our club has made enough mistakes. Please, please, get this right.

• Like 5

The clear favourite in my mind.

A long with his experiences and philosophies he comes with knowledge of the Australian market and Asian market. He also loves promotion of youth and would know the VPL and youth markets extremely well.

I love how he had a clear plan in getting Dempo back in all facets of football.

He's a leading candidate and one who should have been approached last time.

• Like 1

Also another rumor from soccer stoppage time is that we are going hard to get Kenny Lowe. Not sure in what role though.

We had previously offered him the job as Aloisi's assistant. He turned it down because we allegedly offered to pay him peanuts (surprise surprise).

Yeah now the rumor is we have made an approach for the senior coaching role. Personally I don't really want Kenny Lowe, I think the coach is one area where we need most of the ambition and money going in to.

Would be disappointed if we got Lowe. He's pretty much only worked in very low leagues in England, and now he has the interim position at Perth. We might as well go after Alistair Edwards if we're looking at WA coaches, as he'd be better than Lowe.

I'd prefer pretty much any name on Melburnian's list above to Lowe. Lowe would be too modest an appointment at a time when Heart need a more skilled or proven coach.

Edited by Murfy1