Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Agree the staff number could well be around the 15 - 20 mark, which is meager for a football club. I look forward to that changing next season.

I also assume David Lyon is still fan engagement manager.

On JVS - Another potential banana skin is what happens if his best pal J-Cry calls and says come back and work FT in holland with me?

I feel that JVS's enthusiasm for coaching Heart past season two is akin to the players wanting to play under JA. 

I do not think for a second that JVS leaving us in season two is an issue in considering whether he should be kept on next season.

Agree with the second sentence. There are no similarities between the end of our second season and the end of this season with regards to JVS staying around.

Also, it has been suggested that 1) MCFC might not stick around and 2) MCFC's ambition might not match JVS' ambition. I don't think either premises are likely at all, as 1) MCFC now officially own Heart's A-League licence until 2034 and everything they've done at MCFC and NYCFC has been very long term, and 2) every single statement from MCFC personnel has been highly ambitious, and pretty much demanding top class standards, and I don't JVS ever asked for much (he just wants more than 1 messy university pitch and wheelie bins, which is pretty fair).

CFG's involvement depends completely on the patronage of the al Thani family, should the political situation change in the Gulf States then of course the money flow could dry up instantly. It is to an extent an image modification exercise for the Gulf States, if the image changes or they see a more effective way of managing it then there may be little reason for them to continue. we can't do nothing with that possibility in mind though. It's likely that JVS would find the off-field and facility plans more to his liking and would only find working with the support from Manchester helpful for his own career development. I'm sure he'd fit in with the shared values that derives from Cruyff. I don't mind who we get, if it isn't JVS then it'll be somebody even better. If it is him then he'll thrive with better scouting and player selection and coaching support. Personally I'd still like Bielsa but I can't see him fitting into the Man City model, he's too much his own man.

Not Al-Thani...In Abu Dhabi it´s the Al-Nahyans that run the show.

But nothing will change politically in the Gulf among the emirates, they are incredibly stable in a volatile part of the world. And even if something happens they got a trillion dollar nest egg with all their Sovereign Wealth funds stashed away all over the world.

From Lynchy.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-a-legup-from-lower-level-is-best-way-for-coaches-to-reach-top-20140218-32yfv.html

A-League: A leg-up from lower level is best way for coaches to reach top

There's little in the Australian football world that John Kosmina does not know about.

So when he suggests it should be almost mandatory for coaches to complete their coaching education in the tier of Australian football immediately below the A-League, before taking on a job in the top division, perhaps we should listen and give the idea some consideration.

Of course, with privately owned clubs, such an initiative is difficult to mandate. Rich owners will exercise their rights and argue that as they pay the piper, they can call the tune and hire whoever they want. And if they want a recently retired big-name player with little coaching experience, that's who they'll employ.

Nevertheless, Kosmina's suggestion has merit, especially if Football Federation Australia wants the newly branded National Premier League to have credibility as a stepping stone to the big show for both players and coaches, as they say they do.

Advertisement

In recent times we have seen several men, who have taken on A-League posts without serving much of a club-based apprenticeship, falling foul of their owners and paying the ultimate price.

John Aloisi, a star Socceroo and a legend of the local game, had one season coaching Melbourne Heart's youth team before being catapulted to the main stage.

He lasted 18 months in the big time, his team enduring a record 19 games without a win before he was dismissed.

Alistair Edwards had a dream honeymoon at Perth Glory when he took over towards the end of last season. He spent several years in the national team development set-up but had not really coached for any time at senior level at a club before taking his A-League post. He was gone after failing to handle a dressing room insurrection and the politics of dealing with the club hierarchy in a power struggle.

Glance through the list of current A-League bosses, and it's apparent that those who are having success have enjoyed a solid grounding at a lower level, and crucially, as assistants at A-League level. Brisbane boss Mike Mulvey has not struggled since replacing Rado Vidosic, who was Ange Postecoglou's original successor at the Roar.

Mulvey had years in the state institute in Queensland, with the Australian set-up, and as an assistant coach to Miron Bleiberg at Gold Coast United before getting his chance. He also had a spell as head coach of Melbourne Victory's women's team.

Tony Popovic not only worked as an assistant at Sydney FC, he rounded out his education in one of the most unrelenting schools of all, the Championship in Britain, where he was an assistant manager at Crystal Palace.

Kevin Muscat, at Victory, and Phil Moss, at Central Coast, are both first-season coaches who had to take over midway through the campaign. Both have had their problems, but the fact the pair both served as assistant coaches at their clubs for several seasons should stand them in good stead as they look to manage their way through different challenges - a form slump in Victory's case, and a fire sale for Moss. The Mariners have sold off several first-team players in the last couple of years.

Adelaide's Spaniard Josep Gombau worked through the development and academy system at Barcelona, one of the best football ''universities'' in the world, before moving to Hong Kong where he coached local team Kitchee to two league titles and two cup wins. Now the standard of football in Hong Kong is hardly top-flight, but Gombau would have learnt plenty about managing a dressing room, tactics, motivation and dealing with owners and investors as head coach.

And that's one of the key points Kosmina made. Being a head coach, particularly at the top of the tree, involves far more than just picking and managing a team, or taking training sessions.

A coach has to be part psychologist, part motivator, part disciplinarian, a tactician, an innovator, a street-smart fighter who can think on his feet, when he might need to change his set-up, structure or pattern of play to cope with an unexpected situation.

He also has to be a politician, capable of dealing with a chief executive, a chairman, a board of directors; a wheeler dealer, capable of coping with the demands and tactics of agents; and an accountant, who has to juggle the pressures of a salary-capped squad with the constant call for success on the field.

It should be mandatory for a A-League coach to have done a certain amount of years as an assistant and/or Manager of a NPL team before they are given a licence to manage in the A-League. I am sure the new owners will implements this but the FFA has to regulate to make sure the disaster that was JA is never repeated. Personally I would rather they assist at A-League level, then take over an NPL team then come back to the A-League as Manager. If the New owners set us up correctly then we should be able to do that all within the club structure so future JA's have a set path to follow within the club if they want to be manager.

How much staff do Heart have at the moment?.. Does anyone know?

Not sure about the total number of Heart's staff (not including players). No more than 2 or 3 dozen in my estimate, though. 

No more than 15 - 20 I'd say, and that's with a slightly beefed up staff this season.

Football Dept: Didulica, JVS, Nus, Palatsides, Joe Dids (Keeping coach), K Taliadoros? (not sure), the IT guy

Fitness & conditioning: Ripamonte, one or two physio's

Community dept: Sue Crow, 2 or 3 others I'd say

CEO (Munn), CFO, a communications officer, a couple of office staff, Fan Engagement Officer (Lyon)

And then there's volunteers who help on match days as well. There are also a couple of guys who help out organising things for the team with training & travel or whatever, but I'm not sure if they're paid staff, and wouldn't be full time anyway.

Julius Ross- Media

Rebecca May- Sponsorship 

also noticed this email address when I was looking up staff

Donations

Email: donations@melbourneheartfc.com.au

Not sure we are going to have that many people donating their hard earned to us these days, lol

Club web-site shows:

Callum Muirhead (is he the guy that handles the players' kit etc.?);

Brad Rowse, GM Commercial Operations.

I also thought I read a while ago that JvS' son had a role somewhere with the NYL team.

Oh, and yes, it still says our Head Coach is a certain John Aloisi... ("About Us - History").

I wouldn't say JVS is solely responsible for the Heart revival, either. But I'd say JVS is mainly or mostly responsible for our turnaround.

If you just look at the correlation between JVS' reign and Hearts results, it's hard to ignore the big positive influence he's had. This season we were winless in 12 (8 losses, 4 draws), winless in away matches for years and had never come from behind to win under Aloisi (about 23 games!). Since JVS took over, we've got 4 wins, 2 draws and a lone away loss to Perth, and JVS has overturned those other negative records completely.

I don't think enough players have come back to fundamentally changes things, either. It should be remembered as well that Kewell played 4-5 games under JA, and we were still winless. Also, yesterday showed that Heart and JVS don't need Kewell (or Germano) to win. As for Engelaar, he only explains our last win, and was not significant in our first 3 (against the Jets he was subbed on when Heart was 2-1, and was not involved in the third goal. Against Sydney he got send off around the 33rd min and he missed the Perth match through suspension).

JVS has even got results despite the club releasing 2 players, Golgol and Macallister (It should be remembered that when Dmac was injured and unavailable JA called him a "quality senior player", along with Kalmar and Hoffman). The fact is JA just peddled excuses and described any player who was injured and unavailable as important; returning players haven't been that significant. JVS on the other hand has effectively changed thing around with nearly entirely the same players (and the question is would JA have gotten the same performances out of, say, Germano or Engelaar? It's very hard to believe so).

So for my money JVS mostly explains our resurgence, and the improving fitness of Engelaar and Kewell (until last round) was IMO probably the second most important factor, but a rather minor factor. Whilst I'd say luck has been next to a non-factor. For instance, whilst we probably had a fortunate finish or 2 yesterday, we were bound to win yesterday's match by at least 3 or 4 goals, given how we were playing (keeping the ball often, and creating many good chances).

I just find our turnaround to be a classic reminder of how important coaching is in football, and proof that Aloisi was woefully under-prepared to be a professional coach and evidence that JVS is a pretty capable coach at A-League level.

I think some people but might be under-estimating the difficulty of the turn around.

We hadn't won for 17 games (and all those other stats we are trying to forget), the football was nothing short of abysmal and team morale appeared to be rock bottom. To get them out of that malaise and start playing football again and believing in themselves would have been no easy task. To be honest I thought it would take a lot longer, given how bad things had become.

Previously under JA plenty of people were saying we were losing because we had a terrible squad. Now we are winning and it seems now we are hearing its (still) nothing to do with the coach. All I know is I used to watch a team that were obviously the worst in the league, now I see the exact same players and they look like they are up there with the best in the league. The main difference is the style of play - now it looks like football and who is responsible for the style of play?

Only a quality coach could have achieved what we are seeing. I still reckon these two guys are spot on. We were in a spiral to nowhere before jvs came back. The aggression, inspiration, confidence and above all showing tactical nouse has fired everyone up. We all know it shouldn't happen but when you have empty leadership, no matter how professional you are, it's bloody hard to get motivated and give that extra inch (or is it 2.54cm?). Last week was amazing but this week against Brisbane will be a real measure of the man's coaching skills. I am a jvs fan for what he has given us and need to be convinced that he would not be a good choice to lead us next year.

• 2 months later...