Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Would be disappointed if we got Lowe. He's pretty much only worked in very low leagues in England, and now he has the interim position at Perth. We might as well go after Alistair Edwards if we're looking at WA coaches, as he'd be better than Lowe.

I'd prefer pretty much any name on Melburnian's list above to Lowe. Lowe would be too modest an appointment at a time when Heart need a more skilled or proven coach.

Sounds like an Ian Crook type appointment to me

Just to throw a spanner in the works i hear that Edgar Davids is now available ! I don't know much about his coaching ability but he was a very good DUTCH player.

Probably would rather Zola if we are going down this path.

I Would prefer if we stayed out from the "Big Names" and took an "American Sporting Style" approach and focused on a Coach with the Results and Numbers behind his name..

Albeit at another level if this has to be the case...

Edited by cadete

Just to throw a spanner in the works i hear that Edgar Davids is now available ! I don't know much about his coaching ability but he was a very good DUTCH player.

Probably would rather Zola if we are going down this path.

I Would prefer if we stayed out from the "Big Names" and took an "American Sporting Style" approach and focused on a Coach with the Results and Numbers behind his name..

Albeit at another level if this has to be the case...

As I said if we went down this path.

Plenty of very good managers out there. Just need ambition to get them.

Heard a daft rumour that Bart Campbell through his time in London has become good friends with Sam Allardyce and if Big Sam is sacked our club would offer him the job.

Don't believe this to be actually true as Sam is one of the highest page managers in the world but it's interesting that Bart would have some contacts in England.

I'd pick Gary Van Egmond out of all the recycled locals.   Has proven he can play in line with JVS technical philosophy and won a title doing so.   Papas would be interesting.

Be interesting if the new owners have contacts or someone in mind.

At the start of the season I felt that three coaches were going to fail: JA because he can't coach, GVE and Farina because the game has past them by. For a while the latter two were going to prove me wrong but in the last six weeks things were panning out as I thought they would.

To be fair to GVE he has lost four players to international duties and one of his loans - all from the starting line up. Would have results been different if he had had those four internationals? no one will ever know. But in this instance he was treated too harshly.

For me Heart have no choice but to go for a proven well credentialled coach to entice promising youth players to stay and to be able to recruit good players. Under JA the club has become a burial ground for careers. So even though I would prefer to have Ali Edwars or Pappas as local candidates, realistically the club will need to look O/S and spend big.

I'm happy with keeping JVS on. People are too quick to write off managers just because they had a bad run at a club or two. JVS seems like he's grown a lot from his experiences and would do a good job at the helm.

JVS is all good and well but at some point in our lifetime we need a manager that hasn't played for us or managed us before. Can't be too hard.

A bit early to judge the impact of JvS' second term at the helm. I see him as an astute coach who has a very strong focus on development of younger players. IMO last time around he left before we could see the full impact of his tenure, and this time around he might well pick us up from the floor but again he's with us for only a short time.

I think the "search" that preceded the appointment of JA was a sham and that we need to try a lot harder and with much wider vision for our next manager.

If we go though a rigorous process and still come up with JvS, and he's prepared to commit to us, then fine by me. But another sham process and going back to square one simply because it's easy will not be the way for the club to grow.

Exactly right. I'm a JVS fan but if the club is serious they would cast the net and go through a thorough process to see who's the best manager to take the club forward.

We have a really big opportunity here to make up and surpass some clubs with a proper appointment and structure.

We are the equal worst club in the league ever because we penny pinched. Invest in this club and it would be amazing the results.

when discussing sydney's slump on sunday night, bosnich alluded to the fact that 'no disrespect to melbourne heart' but a club like sydney shouldn't ever go through the slump they're in now let alone as bad as ours

we are ultimately seen as a poor, misfortunate club that got a special pass to play with the big boys

I'm happy with keeping JVS on. People are too quick to write off managers just because they had a bad run at a club or two. JVS seems like he's grown a lot from his experiences and would do a good job at the helm.

JVS is all good and well but at some point in our lifetime we need a manager that hasn't played for us or managed us before. Can't be too hard.

A bit early to judge the impact of JvS' second term at the helm. I see him as an astute coach who has a very strong focus on development of younger players. IMO last time around he left before we could see the full impact of his tenure, and this time around he might well pick us up from the floor but again he's with us for only a short time.

I think the "search" that preceded the appointment of JA was a sham and that we need to try a lot harder and with much wider vision for our next manager.

If we go though a rigorous process and still come up with JvS, and he's prepared to commit to us, then fine by me. But another sham process and going back to square one simply because it's easy will not be the way for the club to grow.

There was no search. Immediately after JvS announced he was leaving the club issued a press release stating that they were going to promote from within. This meant either JA or AM. According to Muichael Lynch MA came to the club with the understanding that he would be promoted to senior coach if JvS lef and he was very surprised that MHT board asked him to apply for the job again. Of course after the board gave JA the gig he left for much greener pastures.

Exactly right. I'm a JVS fan but if the club is serious they would cast the net and go through a thorough process to see who's the best manager to take the club forward.

We have a really big opportunity here to make up and surpass some clubs with a proper appointment and structure.

We are the equal worst club in the league ever because we penny pinched. Invest in this club and it would be amazing the results.

I am also a fan of JVS but the club has to announce an international search and if JVS wants to put his hand up again then he can apply for the job. I sort of agree with the idea that penny pinching has cost the club but for my money giving JA the coaching job was the worst decision the board has made. Their second worst decision was not terminating his contract sooner. The club's inability to adequately assess the senior coaches' performance indicate that they are on a long learning curve and really are not suitable to be running a football club. As an aside I wonder if any of the board members would have tolerated such non-performance in any of their other investments?

Absolutely, but his results in India aren't great (which isn't all he should be judged on, going on an odyssey such as this is still great experience) and he's left the club for personal reasons to come back to Australia several times, complains about facilities, state of the game on twitter etc. which is entirely fine considering he's in a place that is basically a third world country in parts, but I don't think he's endeared himself all that much.

Absolutely, but his results in India aren't great (which isn't all he should be judged on, going on an odyssey such as this is still great experience) and he's left the club for personal reasons to come back to Australia several times, complains about facilities, state of the game on twitter etc. which is entirely fine considering he's in a place that is basically a third world country in parts, but I don't think he's endeared himself all that much.

He's stated he's trying to build the club in every aspect.

I have traveled to India and can relate to him that it ain't an easy place to live and homesickness is relevant.

He's a contender in my eyes. VPL history and his work at different clubs here gives him a better outlook than an Aloisi was.

He's in the mix but as stated would want the club to search high and low. You could come up with 10-20 names to approach for the job that could take us to a good level.

In some ways now it's not about a one off decision, that you hope we get right in spite of our processes and resources.

It's knowing that we have the resources and global experience, that if we do go for a local manager, it's because we think he's good enough, not because he's cheap and can market the club.  If we go for a foreigner it's because he's also good enough.

I am on the record saying that we needed a big name coach to entice prospective players to come and play for the Heart and a few to stay. Now that Man City is behind the club then the prospects have considerably brightened. Not only will adequate monies be found to pay for a good coach but the net can truly be widened. If it happens that the new management believe that a local can do the job then so be it. Whatever the outcome, I am expecting the search to be professional and ambitious.

NYC have a local coach with a CV not that much better than JA's.

I think we will go with the best local coach who fits our philosophy and that's GVE.  If the Storm owners are involved, they will see the value in a championship winner similar to their own coaches.  City like our Heart Academy and JVS philosophy and need a head coach who also fits in with that. 

Bielsa or equivalent as head coach

Paps as assistant (who would not want to be assistant to Bielsa?)

Good youth team coach like JVS or equivalent

facilities to match

I agree. I hope that they have started the search for the new head coach today so that he gets appointed quickly and can see the players that we have in the NYL as well as the seniors. Then they can start planning accordingly.

Would love to have Bielsa but I suspect that until we can have decent infrastructure he would not consider us. I wonder who is the budding Bielsa or Pellegrini that can be poached.

Bielsa or equivalent as head coach

Paps as assistant (who would not want to be assistant to Bielsa?)

Good youth team coach like JVS or equivalent

facilities to match

I agree. I hope that they have started the search for the new head coach today so that he gets appointed quickly and can see the players that we have in the NYL as well as the seniors. Then they can start planning accordingly.

Would love to have Bielsa but I suspect that until we can have decent infrastructure he would not consider us. I wonder who is the budding Bielsa or Pellegrini that can be poached.

Nothing will happen for a few months yet.

Depends what our philosophy is in regards to spending money and how we spend it.

Their NY franchise has a local manager without much experience.   Obviously diffferent to buying first choice everything at Man City.

I'd like us to start with a bang, we can spend money on 2 players and coach without any inhibition.   Put that with a new training ground as the priorities.