Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Embrace the suck.

If we supporters embrace the suck mate we won't have a club soon.

In the short term, use it as a (terribly depressing) point of difference.

As they say in Northcote and other areas of high beard-to-cat-to-longneck consumption, "nothing is ever cool if it's popular."

• Like 3

Embrace the suck.

If we supporters embrace the suck mate we won't have a club soon. In the short term, use it as a (terribly depressing) point of difference.

As they say in Northcote and other areas of high beard-to-cat-to-longneck consumption, "nothing is ever cool if it's popular."

Haha. Speaking of Northcote will be spending significantly more time there at a mates newly opened bar.

I'll tell him to make sure it's not too popular ;)

By my reckoning young Papas has had:

• 1 year in the VPL (coach of the year)
  • 1 year as NYL coach at Heart
  • 1 year as assistant at the Jets
  • 2 years in India as head coach ("I-League")

You would have to say that's a good background for an A-League coach.  I would hope we'd at least interview him and get his ideas.  Whilst some might be put off by his youth, to me, given the young age he first became a coach, that's not really a factor.  

How old is he?

We need a coach that commands respect the minute he walks into the change room. A coach that the players are scared to disappoint. I get the vibe the players be like 'ah well, played shit as but old mate JA won't slag me off in press conference. Were mates.'

An old school bloke like Miron Bleiberg. Branko Culina. John Kosmina even.

Papas - well I'm convinced and he would be a bloody big step up from JA and nowhere as expensive as some Euro/South Amer dude. I'm prepared to pass the hat around and contribute to a "Get Papas fund". Agree with the Mourinho comparison in that he appears to be a student of the game and has coaching experience to boot. Farken get him now Munn!!!

No to Papas please.

I'm sure he'd make a fantastic manager from a tactical perspective but as Sheepdog said, we need someone who commands respect, is experienced and will fire a rocket up the lads, win or lose.

Id rather a manager who demanded respect through his structures and tactics than some hothead who just recently lost a team of players because I suspect they realised he was done

No to Papas please.

I'm sure he'd make a fantastic manager from a tactical perspective but as Sheepdog said, we need someone who commands respect, is experienced and will fire a rocket up the lads, win or lose.

Id rather a manager who demanded respect through his structures and tactics than some hothead who just recently lost a team of players because I suspect they realised he was done

True.

By "firing up" I more or less meant someone passionate and motivating, someone who gives their all week in, week out as a role model and reflection of how the players should be performing on the pitch.

Most importantly, someone who has the hunger, desire AND tactical nous to be able to win games of football, pretty or ugly.

• Like 1

..a role model and reflection of how the players should be performing on the pitch AND tactical nous to be able to win games of football, pretty or ugly.

Sorry had to edit your post but these are the key ingredients I took from your post that we're missing

Edited by n i k o

I'd prefer Bielsa, he'd revolutionise the whole HAL through

Would be a huge coup but probably out of the price range

do you mean that he costs more than a wheelie bin? :lol:

Of course, he'd be several million a year but he'd leave us a s a powerhouse and leverage the Cruyff Academy project and fill us with talented youngsters with tactical nous. ACL football would be the carrot, not a great one but if you saw the game when Athletic Bilbao played Man U in the UCL, Bilbao made Man U look like Heart last night.

Why should we not think big and have some ambition?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I was thinking Bielsa myself, or at least someone who is Bielsa-like.

If the last few years have taught us anything, it’s that the most important signing an A-League club can make is its' manager.  V*****y figured this out after the Durakovic and Magilton debacle and subsequently got Ange.  Heart now find themselves in a similar situation.

Like most other industries, you get what you paid for.  If Heart HQ really wants this club to be successful, and I believe they do, significant investment needs to be made into the football department beginning with the manager.  If money’s too tight to mention, find other investors to come into the frame.  In the end, you invariably reap what you sow.

With respect to the manager, IMO he must possess the following proven attributes:

• a successful track record of coaching according to the club’s philosophy of playing style
  • a successful track record of coaching and developing young players
  • transform the entire football department and culture
  • mentor upcoming aspiring coaches and managers within the club
  • leave a legacy on their respective team and club

This may sound lofty, but this is now where we find ourselves and what we should be looking at.  Sometimes it’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.

• Like 1