Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Also, I was in the medallion area, and I bumped into Jeremy Walker at halftime (all the players not in the match day squad were in those AFL coach boxes). I asked him if he was injured, and he said "I'm okay".

Bizarre. One other thing, for the first time since season one we actually played the game in midfield. For the last 2 seasons we've had no midfield.

• Like 1

Also, I was in the medallion area, and I bumped into Jeremy Walker at halftime (all the players not in the match day squad were in those AFL coach boxes). I asked him if he was injured, and he said "I'm okay".

Someone who answers "I'm okay" is clearly NOT okay!! Fucken Aloisi, he should go hang out with Holger!

JA is just a shit cunt. Made one sub for the whole game (mate doesn't count, he wouldn't of been subbed if he didn't get injured) leaves our best player from last season on the bench and than Hoff :droy: also takes the only creative midfielder we have in kewell off way too early at the 60 minute mark. At the 70 minute mark he really should've made some wholesale changes because that 2nd half we didn't look like scoring

Performance Rating:

Above Average - Redmayne, Wielaert, Kisnorbo, Kewell, Williams

Average - Behich, Migliorini, Murdocca, Mebrahtu

Below Average - Hoffman, Dugandzic

Defense - Excellent.

Midfield - Pass.

Attack - Below Average

Other points:

- I think midfield is going to be an issue for us, only Kewell really can create with his touch, and when we can't do that it's running the flanks and long balls.  Perhaps we need to look to Dugandzic, Germano, Kalmar to support him with interplay.

- Defence is excellent, and our structure was excellent too, well done to JA.  Redmayne had a good game, we just need a RB, not Hoffman.

- When Mifsud plays as the striker, we'll convert our chances.  Happy with the options on the wings.

Performance Rating:

Above Average - Redmayne, Wielaert, Kisnorbo, Kewell, Williams

Average - Behich, Migliorini, Murdocca, Mebrahtu

Below Average - Hoffman, Dugandzic

Defense - Excellent.

Midfield - Pass.

Attack - Below Average

Other points:

- I think midfield is going to be an issue for us, only Kewell really can create with his touch, and when we can't do that it's running the flanks and long balls.  Perhaps we need to look to Dugandzic, Germano, Kalmar to support him with interplay.

- Defence is excellent, and our structure was excellent too, well done to JA.  Redmayne had a good game, we just need a RB, not Hoffman.

- When Mifsud plays as the striker, we'll convert our chances.  Happy with the options on the wings.

When Engelaar gets back, hopefully that will help our mid

Edited by Podium

I think that our defense was excellent tonight. After leaking so many goals last season it was satisfying to see such a solid back four (excluding Hoffman). The game bored me, and so did the terrace to be honest (Except for when we did 'We are Melbourne' and everyone moshed).

Kewell was great, seemed to act like a real leader on the pitch. I swear Gol Gol didn't run once in the second half, all he did was jog. All in all I will take a 0-0 draw, it was okay considering the media hyped up the Victory to no end.

The sub of Kewell was probably due to the flu he had earlier in the week, still surprised he didn't put Kalmar on instead of Ramsay and moving WIlliams into midfield. We were never going to generate much with Williams operating in midfield, Retre would have offered more in midfield than Williams did.

Can't believe the shit Hoffman is copping. He was solid and the whole back four worked well together - especially considering they haven't played together before.

Really happy with Kisnorbo and Murdocca. Murdocca my man of the match for his tireless work rate. Kewell started finding his touch as the game went on, and we lost any real creativity when he went off. Aloisi's biggest mistake in my opinion was not replacing Kewell with Kalmar. But the game pretty much ground to a halt by the last 15 minutes so probably didn't matter much in the end.

Wasn't pretty, but I'll take a clean sheet any day. For a side that's always been a bit flaky, tonight was solid and disciplined. Not a bad way to begin a 27 week campaign.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

True, Hoffman offers little going forward. But I don't think that's what Aloisi wants. I suspect he's basically after one stay at home full back and one attacking one. For his first serious game in the position, I was pleasantly relieved, after being extremely doubtful.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

I have a feeling JA used Hoffman rather than Walker as Hoff stays deeper, countering the others predictable two prong wide attack. I hope to see Jezza making his forward runs soon.

All the boys making their debut in Heart colours did well.

We should have been 3-0 up at half time. The second half was a dead set bore.

Solid defence, midfield and just lacking a little in attack.

What was with the atmosphere tonight? Weird from both sets of supporters. I haven't experienced a derby so subdued in all my life.

I think it was subdued because the NT is going through their crap so they didn't get into anything really. The derby specials did the exact opposite this year, they stayed quiet, only a small part of our active section did much chanting really. There were some good moments, but for the most part, meh. The South End seemed more concerned with annoying us, rather than anything else, but that is just like every year really. It didn't help that the match was pretty boring, not much to cheer about really. Although I am happy that there were no broken chairs.

been said already, but kisnorbo and Wieleart were brilliant. Can't see us copping any stupid goals this season, the best CB pairing we've ever had at the club IMO

I was impressed with kewell, he'll only get better.

Needed more from our wingers, but that will come. Gol gol wasn't great up front, he plays much better on the wing. Mifsud is going to be great for us, can't wait to get him in

• Like 3

We didnt have enough composure in the final 3rd, so hopefully The Mossie will bring some of the poaching skills we lacked. 

Hoffman was serviceable, and Migliorini was very good (call me biased)

The game got the result it deserved (dour, brittle, and tight)

Don't know how much a 165cm forward in Misfud will help when all we do is get Redmayne/Kisnorbo/Weilart to bomb the ball long.

Much like last year, we seem to bypass the midfield completely. And it is bloody frustrating watching us get into relatively attacking positions, and subsequently turning around and the ball going all the way back to Redmanyne, for another nothing punt forward to no one who can win an arial contest.

I dont think Hoffman made one tackle, but not bad in all considering he is not a right-back.

That was probably the worst derby ever imo, in terms of the match itself and the atmosphere.

Kisnorbo and Wielart were both brilliant and the whole defence was rock solid (including Hoffman surprisingly).

Mass played a great match, he was so active.

Harry played very well, he was our creative spark in midfield, as soon as he went off we went to absolute shit, btw why was he subbed off so early? Wassn't he playing 90 minutes in the preseason?

And Harry's ball through to GolGol in the first half that got him around Coe was amazing

JA was very stupid to play Williams as a CAM, if I were him I would have brought Kalmar on for Harry and then Ramsey on for GolGol

GolGol was shit, did not make any runs at all in the second half (lack of fitness?)

Ramsey didn't do much once he came on but his delivery was shit

Redders was very shaky and his distribution was crap but he did make a few key saves.

Migliorini was ok but hoofed the ball way too much in the second half and wasted a few corners

All in all, boring game but a solid result

Firstly in Hoffmans defence(no pun) he didn't do as bad as people are going on about. Secondly once harry came off I'm sure our formation changed, where we had golgol as a lone striker out against 2-3 defenders. Why would he run like an idiot for long balls, and exhaust himself for nothing. Cause that's about the only service he got in that second half. Overall a lot of great signs with our play in the first 60 minutes and that's enough for me for now to know we will get better than that, which we will have to.

Fuck its great to have the ALeague back. Best part of the night was arguing with a bunch of 40 something poms who rocked up 2 minutes before kick off because I was standing in their seats. Security came down to kick me out, so I told security I'll move when he gets rid of the people sitting in our seats in row A. Never saw them again.

The people with the camera's in the bay. who were they Yside? foxsports? or heart tv people?

Could have been me? I was shooting for History of Melbourne Heart

• Like 2

Can't believe the shit Hoffman is copping. He was solid and the whole back four worked well together - especially considering they haven't played together before.

Really happy with Kisnorbo and Murdocca. Murdocca my man of the match for his tireless work rate. Kewell started finding his touch as the game went on, and we lost any real creativity when he went off. Aloisi's biggest mistake in my opinion was not replacing Kewell with Kalmar. But the game pretty much ground to a halt by the last 15 minutes so probably didn't matter much in the end.

Wasn't pretty, but I'll take a clean sheet any day. For a side that's always been a bit flaky, tonight was solid and disciplined. Not a bad way to begin a 27 week campaign.

Spot on. I was surprised by Hoffman. I thought Connor Pain would destroy him.  Instead Hoffman was serviceable. That said, I think Jeremy Walker is a better option as a right back.

Was surprised at how Hoffman went even more so that he was targeted very heavily in first half.

Paddy K runs like a giraffe legs awkwardly going every, but he is solid. Outstanding game from him.

Murdocca, man of the match. Worked hard, moved to collect ball from our defence, changed direction of play, was well composed, pressured opposition well and won the ball in some good spots.

• Like 1

Still think we don't have the cattle to be a contender while playing 4-2-3-1. Our wingers need to be better at running at opponents and getting to the byline, which we didn't manage at all.

Would rather a 3-5-2 with wing backs, and having Harry in the middle of the park at home and up front away.

Those defending Gol Gol must have been watching a different game, he was shit in the second half. Looked so lazy, Didn't even bother to try and get onside and if he had there would have been a number of opportunities for him. Yeah it was a shit game everyone knows that, Hoffman didn't do too bad actually, considering most of their attacks especially in first half were right down that wing which I am guessing was game plan to exploit him. We just don't seem capable of passing the ball in midfield which is a really bad sign, very similar to our pre season games, especially the one against Oakleigh. A few more performances where we can't string passses together and then choose to lump it on top of a bloke who I can't see being any taller than 5,10 or so. If we play this brand with Misfud up front then Aloisi has to go.

In saying that after a few days of forgetting that shit performance, a point against Victory won't look like a bad result.

Massimo showing why he should be the skipper. I like our defence last night, Hoffman was serviceable but still know Walker would do a better job.

Kewell was OK, we should have played through him more when playing long balls rather than GolGol.

I have a feeling Mifsud & Kewell will work a charm together. Just play long balls to Harry all day he rarely loses a header.

• Like 1

Anyone else reckon the mongs would've looked more dangerous with Flores instead of Nicholls? Instead, they're paying part of his wage to play at Central Coast. It will be hilarious if he rips it up against them while still being on their payroll.

• Like 1