Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Some thoughts ahead of the match:

Our squad looks very solid in all areas; defence, midfield and attack. The very fact that Gerhardt, our 2nd best player last season, could start on the bench testifies to how well our squad has strengthened for this season.

I'm unsure if Heart should set up like we did in last season's first derby, where we played a high intensity pressing game and a counterattacking game, or whether we should try to dominate possession and create scoring chances. Normally, I'd like us to try and keep the ball, but against Victory I think we should do what we did successfully last time: press high and counterattack

We should then play Gerhardt over Migliorini, because Gerhardt is much better defensively, and I agree that he should effectively mark Nichols out of the game.

Williams has done pretty well in previous derbies, and he should know how to perform in this match, given that this derby is pretty much a repeat of last season's first derby. I just have a sense that Williams might well rise to the occasion in this match. Nonetheless, I'd also be perfectly fine with Ramsay starting, and I think Ramsay is the better winger in general.

I reckon we have the quickest forwards in the league with Dugandzic, Mebrahtu and Williams/Ramsay, and I reckon if we counterattack they could use their speed to devastating effect. 

I'm pretty excited to see Kewell play in this match. I think with his several weeks of pre-season he'll be ready to put in a solid performance and provide some invaluable creativity.

If our players are up for this match, like they normally are for derbies, I'm tipping a good night for Heart.

Hoff is our weakest on pitch. I gtee you Kosta......u will exploit his side. Goal-less Golgo should have put that away....an experienced striker would have. So far, pretty happy with team. Migliorini is quality but a little unfit, Mudocca Is a machine (effectjve and never stops) and so is Kewell. Hope he kicks a goal to rub it in to all Victory fans.

Id take that result considering we were written off by almost everyone.

Kisnorbo-Weilart partnership in defence, wow.. very impressed with what i saw, if they can stay injury free, i dont see us coping many goals throug the heart of defence..

Redmayne, some top saves

Hoffman, for me, the surprise packet, actually did well.. definantly played for his career at the club, kept Pain very quite.

Behich, same old.

Migliorini, did well but some aimless passes.

Murdocca, possibly best on, worked his arse off and patrolled the midfield.

Kewell, did well but fuck we need him to play 90mins, looked so dull without him on the field.

Williams, not even going to waste my time. useless.

Duganzdic, definantly not match fit

GolGol, ehh.. needs to fucking work more.. just stands there and watches the ball being passed around him, and should have finished that chance in the first half..

All in all, boring fucking game, with only 1-2 big chances.. BUT would take that result seeing as the Scum are title favorites.

• Like 1

Kewell off and straight down into the rooms? What's the go there? Poor form.

JA takes off Kewell and replaces him with a winger, puts DAVID FUCKING WILLIAMS in centre mid. What on earth? At least put Willo on the right and move Duga in the middle. Totally lost the midfield after that sub.

And then no subs until the last 5 minutes. Gol Gol evidently completely rooted, couldn't even compete, but didn't make a change. Could've put Willo up front, Duga on the wing and Kalmar in the middle. Typical Aloisi, doesn't make a sub until it's too late.

Anyway. Shit game and shit effort in the active section imo. Derby specials ruined it completely. Surrounded by flogs starting 'we hate victory' chants and families with young children. Honestly, they shouldn't even sell childrens/family tickets in the active area.

Will take a point. Hope we look better when Mifsud is back.

• Like 4

Gol gol you lazy fuck, didn't see him get out of a jog in that second half, he should've been taken out for kalmar who in his 10 minutes on did a lot better job of controlling the ball when it was lobbed to him.

Paddy Kisnorobo MVP, fucking boss, won't be too many goals scored on him this season fucking brilliant.

Some dickheads in yarraside tonight, fuck off if you are just going to act like a drunken retard and not follow the capo.

All in all a boring night and game tbh, 1 shot on target for us the whole game, not good enough. Still need to work on scoring goals better, defence is good.

P.S fuck off hoffman :up:

• Like 1

Positives:

CB pairing looks good, Weiliert very active organising the back 4 and 3 of the back 4 kept their shape well all night

Murdocca is just what we've needed in midfield since season 1, lots of energy, ran all night, very positive.

Migliorini looks good, can we keep him? He can't shoot.

Kewell, worth every cent of $48k:) Spoke to each player before the game during the warm up. Organised the huddle before the game.

We'll be good when we have Mifsud and better when we have Engelaar after Xmas (hopefully).

Negatives:

Kisnorbo - too many long balls, this is Melbourne not Leicester.

Redmayne - what's with the long balls to all the short players?

Hoffman - Dear Mr Aloisi, if you truly believe that this man can play RB at HAL standard then it truly is a triumph of hope over reality. Even when he had Murdocca backing him up all night he was beaten regularly and all it did was pull the defence out of shape.

Atmosphere was subdued, almost AFL like in its lack of life. Vic Police will be well pleased.

It was a Victory home match at Etihad, so I'm fine with a snore draw.

Also, we were missing our main goal scorer (Whereas Victory don't have that excuse), so us not scoring in the first round doesn't bother me.

After last season a clean sheet is a pretty welcome sight. Kisnorbo and Wielaert were rock solid in defence.

I had concerns about how the DM pair of Murdocca and Migliorini would go defensively, but they were fine. They were also pretty good when we had possession. Murdocca in particular did a great job, given that he seemed to get kicked all over the pitch.

Kewell was class when he got the ball. He probably didn't get the ball enough, though.

All up, a good and organised performance from us, and a good foundation to build on.

- Miglorini or whoever the fuck this cunt is, his crosses (corners) were horrible and all he would do is kick the shit out of the ball on the turn
- hoffman is a shit cunt
- Redders... very very shaky, surprised they didnt shoot from outside the box, he is soo vulnerable for that, when will the league learn, but he made a big time save vs leijer 
- kisnorbo was best on for us imo

- kewell move so much better than i thought, his touch just buys space and time, his passing was good, whenever we transition get it at his feet, things will happen
- Gol gol needs to be the 60th minute sub, bring him on with 30 mins to go, dont start him as of yet (mifsud will start)

- murdocca is a workhorse, could be our best pick up

- wieelart was good

- Point gained, massive point, fucking clean sheet, onwards and upwards 

• Like 1