Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Not sure if a big bodied player like Kisnorbo is suited to playing right back, but I'd prefer this:

Kisnorbo  -  Weileart  -  Gerhardt  -  Behich

That way if and that's a BIG IF Aloisi ever changes during the game and plays 3 at the back, Gerhardt can move forward into the midfield releasing Migliorini to play higher up the field in a 3-2-2-3.

Not sure if a big bodied player like Kisnorbo is suited to playing right back, but I'd prefer this:

That way if and that's a BIG IF Aloisi ever changes during the game and plays 3 at the back, Gerhardt can move forward into the midfield releasing Migliorini to play higher up the field in a 3-2-2-3.

No to Paddy G in defence, we all complain about playing the long ball all the time, yet he is the number one culprit. Kisnorbo and Weilart's style of play complement each other and they are both alot better than Paddy G. They should both remain in the centre of defence.

No to Paddy G in defence, we all complain about playing the long ball all the time, yet he is the number one culprit. Kisnorbo and Weilart's style of play complement each other and they are both alot better than Paddy G. They should both remain in the centre of defence.

Kisnorbo plays - and will play - just as many, if not more, long balls than PG plays.

Kisnorbo plays - and will play - just as many, if not more, long balls than PG plays.

I know Paddy K tends to play long balls, but he still does play out of defence at times (he did in the derby), something Paddy G never does. Paddy K is better than Paddy G, so my point stands that RW and PK should be the starting pair

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

It's all about depth guys!

Wielaert and Kisnorbo will likely be our preferred defensive pairing throughout this season but in saying that, we have excellent cover in Paddy G or Vranks if injury happens to strike. I highly doubt Migliorini will start every game this season either so Gerhardt is an ideal replacement as a defensive midfielder when called upon, or he can even play right-back if we need it.

Regardless of what decisions JA and the coaching staff make, I personally find it fantastic that our club actually has multiple options this season as with previous years, we have more often than not struggled to field a team due to injuries, suspensions and national team call-ups. This season, we should be able to replace players like-for-like without having to dramatically alter our team's structure.

• Like 1

I know Paddy K tends to play long balls, but he still does play out of defence at times (he did in the derby), something Paddy G never does. Paddy K is better than Paddy G, so my point stands that RW and PK should be the starting pair

Fair enough, agreed.

Fair enough, agreed.

I was also trying to point out that everyone complains about us playing the long ball, but want Paddy G in the starting line up..

Does anybody know why Aloisi has lost total faith in Walker?

There is no way in the world that Hoffman is better than Walker, who would benefit playing alongside such experienced centre backs..  Not allowing kids to play through mistakes ruins them..

He hasn't.

Hoff is probably the best trainer at the club; performs brilliantly every pre-season and in training.

He has a lot of good attributes, and JA has decided to try him as a full-back.

Walker is an attacking wing back, and will play when we require that.

Hoff plays deeper and overlaps less, so he will play when that is required.

Also, Hoff is 24, which is still reasonably young, so the kid comment is hardly valid.

EDIT: I HOPE that JA is picking based on need, rather than actually preferring Hoff overall.

Edited by Baresi

Does anybody know why Aloisi has lost total faith in Walker?

There is no way in the world that Hoffman is better than Walker, who would benefit playing alongside such experienced centre backs..  Not allowing kids to play through mistakes ruins them..

He hasn't.

Hoff is probably the best trainer at the club; performs brilliantly every pre-season and in training.

He has a lot of good attributes, and JA has decided to try him as a full-back.

Walker is an attacking wing back, and will play when we require that.

Hoff plays deeper and overlaps less, so he will play when that is required.

Also, Hoff is 24, which is still reasonably young, so the kid comment is hardly valid.

Holy shit, he's only 24!? 

Looks so much older, I'll admit I didn't know that.

You gotta wonder why Aloisi doesn't like utilising all three subs!

He could've subbed Migliorini for Gerhardt to try and change the game up a bit, but I guess he was always happy for the game to end in a 0-0 draw!

With Kisnorbo and Wielaert both receiving yellows in their first game, I guess it won't be long befor Gerhardt or Vrankovic do get a chance to play in defence!

In the games which JA thinks will be hard eg. Victory, Mariners .... He will play Hoff because he knows he won't attack as much, and have the chance of getting caught out of position on the break. He will play Walker in games he thinks we can win, that's why they were so happy with the 0-0 last week. I don't agree with this, I'm just saying. Also, can ppl stop singling out players of ours that do long balls, if the coach wouldn't want it they wouldn't be doing it. We don't have a compact formation to pull off the game style like Victory, Mariners and now Adelaide have one touch football build up from defence. Also us always turning back and looking for that negative pass, instead of a quick pass farward gives the opposition so much time to set up there shape and really choke us, which make our defenders play the long balls because the farwards are applying so much pressure like Victory did to us 70% of the game. If both teams swapped coaches last Sat the Heart would of won 4-1

• Like 1