Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Murdocca: Derby draw was fair result

By Tom Pollock October 13, 2013

Melbourne Heart midfielder Massimo Murdocca believes the 0-0 draw in last night’s season-opening Melbourne Derby was a fair result.

“It was very cagey, very tactical. I didn’t really expect that but I think there was a lot of respect between the two sides so maybe a draw was a fair result at the end of the day,” Murdocca said.

It was Murdocca’s debut in red and white and he took the opportunity to reflect on his first match, and his first pre-season, in Melbourne.

“It was nice to finally get my name on the back of my shirt,” Murdocca joked.

“On a serious note, it was great, it was a great performance, I feel very fit and got through the whole pre-season unscathed, that’s all you can ask for.”

The former Brisbane player spoke highly of Heart’s centre back pairing, Patrick Kisnorbo and Robbie Wielart, who also made their debuts last night.

“Patrick and Robbie are very good acquisitions for the squad.

“Their communication last night was very good, it made my job a lot easier so when you’ve got those experienced boys at the back it puts you in good stead for the season.

Murdocca was also pleased with how he, Harry Kewell and Andrea Mignorilini performed in the midfield, given it was the trio’s first competitive game together.

“Harry and I have played a lot together in the last month or two, and Andrea has just come in so it was interesting to see how we would all gel in that short space of time.

“We’ve done well, he’s [Kewell] looking very good, he’s a great player and it’s great to have him alongside me in there.”

Heart will face the reigning champions, Central Coast Mariners, next weekend at AAMI Park and Murdocca is looking at the match as an opportunity to gauge where the team is at early in the season.

“We’re looking to improve, and there’s no better game [to do that] than against the champions.

“We would like to see how we fare against them and we’ve got to keep getting confidence, we got confidence from last night knowing that what we’re doing is working – we need to produce it again next week.”

http://www.mfootball.com.au/murdocca-derby-draw-was-fair-result/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=murdocca-derby-draw-was-fair-result&utm_medium=App.net&utm_source=PourOver

Edited by Murfy1

I think some people need to keep in mind that yesterday's match was the first match of our season, and we were playing Victory away at Etihad. Our midfield had never played a real game together. So it was an impressively organised performance and it got us a point. I also reckon we could be more attacking when we play Victory in the remaining 2 derbies, which are both home matches for us at AAMI park.

I reckon this is the most negative/defensive performance we'll probably see from Heart this season. And we didn't play this way because we couldn't keep the ball or because we couldn't attack. We played this way because, as Aloisi said post-game, it was the game plan. And the plan worked like a charm. We shutdown the Victory attack, and kept Thompson, Pain and Troisi out of the game. I was especially concerned about Troisi into yesterday's match, as I think he's a pretty good player, but I barely saw him last night, because our game plan worked so well.

Mebrahtu did what he was instructed to do. Aloisi said post-match he wanted Mebrahtu to use his pace and get in behind Victory's defence, like he did when Kewell played that awesome long pass through to him. Given that Mebrahtu was meant to play this way, he was supposed to be as high as he could be up field, to give Victory something to think about and stretch their defence.

I think Mebrahtu could maybe have been a little better, but it has to be said that he did his job pretty well last night.

Kewell went off early because he received a few knocks, and the coaching staff didn't want Kewell to get seriously injured.

It was a surprise to see Ramsay come on for Kewell, and for Williams to play in Kewell's position. Kalmar is returning from a calf injury, so possibly the coaches didn't sub Kalmar on then because they didn't want Kalmar to play too many minutes. Or perhaps it was just a dubious substitution. 

Next week against Central Coast at AAMI park will be a big test. We should have a fair bit of the ball playing against Central Coast, so we'll be able to find out how well we can keep the ball and attack during that match.

• Like 1

Next week against Central Coast at AAMI park will be a big test. We should have a fair bit of the ball playing against Central Coast, so we'll be able to find out how well we can keep the ball and attack during that match.

This is what I'm most interested in. We always seem to play crap our first home game of the season. It will be interesting to see how we have improved and hopefully the players will be up for it. Fingers crossed they will be. I feel we have a mentally stronger team this year to lead the way.

Our tactics to play backwards were to draw victory out of their half and create space in behind them.

I think that's an important point to keep in mind. Whether you like seeing it or not, there's method to the back passing. Our best chances will usually come from playing players into space behind the defenders. Also, while long balls can often be aimless lobs, when they come off, they can play our wingers and Mifsud into space. Personally, I don't like seeing it go all the way back to Redmayne because I don't think his distribution is all that good. But I think it will take a few weeks to see how successful we'll be tactically. As players get used to playing together etc.

Last night, we were able to prevent Victory from finding any control or much attacking threat. And we could've easily pinched a goal or two with better finishing. As a starting point for the season, I'm fairly satisfied with that.

Sash, the long ball back-pass to the keeper has been going on since Terra led the line.

It was bullshit then and its bullshit now.  We have midfielders in Magliorini, Murdocca and Kewell who can play the ball on the deck, and thread passes to Mifsud, and even Gol Gol who can be quick and chase balls along the ground in space. There's no need for it

Its fucking crazy:FFS we went from being in poossession at their corner flag to all the way back to Redmayne.  Ridiculous.

• Like 2

I think some people need to keep in mind that yesterday's match was the first match of our season, and we were playing Victory away at Etihad. Our midfield had never played a real game together. So it was an impressively organised performance and it got us a point. I also reckon we could be more attacking when we play Victory in the remaining 2 derbies, which are both home matches for us at AAMI park.

I reckon this is the most negative/defensive performance we'll probably see from Heart this season. And we didn't play this way because we couldn't keep the ball or because we couldn't attack. We played this way because, as Aloisi said post-game, it was the game plan. And the plan worked like a charm. We shutdown the Victory attack, and kept Thompson, Pain and Troisi out of the game. I was especially concerned about Troisi into yesterday's match, as I think he's a pretty good player, but I barely saw him last night, because our game plan worked so well.

Mebrahtu did what he was instructed to do. Aloisi said post-match he wanted Mebrahtu to use his pace and get in behind Victory's defence, like he did when Kewell played that awesome long pass through to him. Given that Mebrahtu was meant to play this way, he was supposed to be as high as he could be up field, to give Victory something to think about and stretch their defence.

I think Mebrahtu could maybe have been a little better, but it has to be said that he did his job pretty well last night.

Kewell went off early because he received a few knocks, and the coaching staff didn't want Kewell to get seriously injured.

It was a surprise to see Ramsay come on for Kewell, and for Williams to play in Kewell's position. Kalmar is returning from a calf injury, so possibly the coaches didn't sub Kalmar on then because they didn't want Kalmar to play too many minutes. Or perhaps it was just a dubious substitution. 

Agree, when our midfielders did get the ball for once they looked comfortable. Redmayne bypassed them far to often for my liking but it was good to see Murdocca or Migliorini drop back to receive a pass from a CB on the times we did play out. This rarely happened last season. Hopefully we only played route 1 to get behind MV's high line.

ayed a reaI think some people need to keep in mind that yesterday's match was the first match of our season, and we were playing Victory away at Etihad. Our midfield had never pll game together. So it was an impressively organised performance and it got us a point. I also reckon we could be more attacking when we play Victory in the remaining 2 derbies, which are both home matches for us at AAMI park.

Agree, when our midfielders did get the ball for once they looked comfortable. Redmayne bypassed them far to often for my liking but it was good to see Murdocca or Migliorini drop back to receive a pass from a CB on the times we did play out. This rarely happened last season. Hopefully we only played route 1 to get behind MV's high line.

The question is which of the two is the preferred option?  I'm willing to bet its the first one.

Kiro, like you I hope that its option 2. Like you I also think that it may be option 1 however in that case chasing Engelaar makes no sense at all. I think that you can either try the MV approach and attempt to control every game by playing your own style, or you can play bore flexibly and adapt your style to the opponent. Hopefully we have seen the latter.

Long balls often made sense in yesterday's match, because Victory nearly always had 6 players deep inside our half, with their back four either on the halfway line or a bit behind the halfway line. So Mebrathu, Dugandzic and Williams were often 1 on 1 with a defender, and sometimes we outnumbered Victory players in the area where the long ball was played to. Like it or not, there was a reasonable rationale behind this tactic. 

I should say that I began supporting Heart in the club's first season in no small part because of JVS, and the brand of attacking football he wanted to bring to the club. My preference is for Heart to play possession dominating attacking football as often as we can.

But possession and neat short passes through the midfield aren't everything. Attempting to play that kind of football didn't get us to far in our first season, and attempting to play that kind of football provided Victory with minimal success last night. They were as boring as we were in the worst games of our first season. Yes, they dominated possession, but their possession was overwhelmingly on the halfway line or just inside our half. And they created few scoring chances. Last night, we easily had better scoring chances than Victory, and if Mebrathu was a bit sharper, or if we had Mifsud playing, we would have won (Mifsud IMO would have put away that volley that Mebrahtu missed).

Like I said in my previous post, I reckon this match will be exceptional. Our first match, with an untested midfield, against a team that is so possession focused they can be one dimensional. So I'm fine that changed up our style, and pursed a clear and coherent game plan to completely shutdown Victory's attack and counterattack ourselves. I believe beginning next week we'll see more passing to the DMs and playing out from the back, and most of our games will have more possession based, pro-active football. But in this particular match, the game plan made sense, and I'm fine that we played that way.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

@murfy1.

I too bought into the philosophy that JVS bought in Season 1.  It failed because the players we had were too slow (in ability and thinking) to make it work.  He then went to a more direct game plan, long balls to the wingers in Worm and Williams.  Which then morphed in to back passes to the keeper and long balls to a lone striker, who at times happened to about 5'6" competing with a 6+foot CB.

And that where we were all last season.  

Now if what we saw last night was to negate the possession-based play of MV, then fine. 

We will find out at home soon enough.

(BTW the reason why Postecoglou can't and won't win this season is because he stubbornly insists on playing without a striker but instead uses two wide wingers, the so-called false nine system, forgetting he had Berisha tapping in goals from 6 yards at Brisbane.)

for me last night was one of the best defensive displays i've seen from Heart in a long long time.

yes the team looked pretty average going forth but at least they kept the clean sheet.

makes me think back to last season with WSW - they were good defensively at the start but shite going forth.  they then built on their defensive platform.

yes it is a worry should we fall behind to a defensive team but gotta give credit where is credit is due and it is much much better for the team to playing crisply at seasons end.

for me last night was one of the best defensive displays i've seen from Heart in a long long time.

yes the team looked pretty average going forth but at least they kept the clean sheet.

makes me think back to last season with WSW - they were good defensively at the start but shite going forth.  they then built on their defensive platform.

yes it is a worry should we fall behind to a defensive team but gotta give credit where is credit is due and it is much much better for the team to playing crisply at seasons end.

Was thinking the same thing today while trying to find the positives out of last night. Hopefully the combination of Wielaert-Kisnorbo-Redders-Hoofball is not something that becomes ingrained otherwise Mifsud The Midget is going to get precious few crumbs to feed off.

Some great posts on here people .... I guess we should be OK with the fact that we got a point. Kisnorbo and Wieleart look good together and HK has still got his touch.

My thoughts .... I dont really understand why in a salary capped competition, in the first game of the season against our arch rivals, JA chose to implement such a negative game plan, based on only stopping the Tards from playing, whilst trying to pinch a win on the counter attack. I dont think we would have won any new fans on that performance.

Why the fear?

Its not as if we were playing Arsenal or Barcelona ... we were playing a team missing their captain and best midfielder, and that included a bunch of kids, inlcuding a debutant ... and there we were, afraid to try and dictact any type of tangible control over the match.

JA was rather pleased with himself after the game, saying something along the lines that we cant expect everygame to be free flowing, with lots of attacking intent ... again, we are in the A-league where there are really on two teams that are generally better than the rest in CCM and WSW.

To be honest, I'd rather us win (or lose) by generally playing better than our opponent. Yes, one pass and one goal can win a game, but it should be more than that.

The club has the following on its website ...

"Building on the work of foundation coach John van 't Schip, Melbourne Heart FC is led by Socceroo legend John Aloisi, who has made the transition from player to Head Coach over a three-year period.

Bringing a wealth of experience, Aloisi espouses the virtues of a holistic approach to football, promoting a technical brand of the game while working to develop the next generation of Australian talent, with the Club boating a genuine commitment to providing a pathway for emerging talent."

If holistic, technical and developing the next generation of Oz talent means that we are going to play mainly negative football, without going out their to take the game by the scruff of the neck and win, and by playing the likes of Hoff over Walker, then god help the club ...

We have some good players on the books now ... surely there are no excuses with regards to a fearful approach. One thinks maybe JA knows he is coaching for his job. CCM next week will be interesting because GA is a smart cookie and he wont let JA have the upperhand tactically if we try and sit back again like we did against the tards.

• Like 1

"...the virtues of a holistic approach to football, promoting a technical brand of the game while working to develop the next generation of Australian talent..."

TA, I think you'll find that that phrase has been on the club website right from the beginning. It was originally attributed to JvS, and has been massaged to refer to JA.

I think you are absolutely right - the fear of losing comes down to JA knowing that he simply has to turn Heart's form around because he senses his job is on the line this season. That's the first point away from home we have got since 2nd December 2012.

The test will come next Saturday. Does he have a Plan B?

@Tom.  I'm forming the view that other than playing a reactive game, JA has no other plan.  Which is OK if you're the away team playing not to lose, and maybe pinching a win.

But at home, WE have to force the game.  

You're right, not many would have jumped on the Heart bandwagon as a result last night's performance.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

Michael Lynch wrote some good stuff on the derby today, with a good sentence being: "The stakes are so high, the tension palpabable, that in many ways it is more important for both clubs not to actually lose the match than win it, given that the result will inevitably be interpreted with more significance than it should."

Losing yesterday would have led the media to say that we'll likely finish near bottom again (recall, every single pundit thought we'd lose yesterday), team morale would have been down, and it would have been even tougher to sell Melbourne Heart to non-supporters.

We played a pretty adventurous style of football in the second derby last year, and we lost. I doubt we got many, if any, new fans after that match. The idea of being a loser team that plays some nice football doesn't appeal to me right now as a Heart supporter. That's why I respect the pragmatic tactics we played last night. Because this season Heart needs wins more than it needs an ambitious football philosophy. I think we can get do a lot of both this season, but I'm not going to demand that we play like Barca every match.

It should be remembered how many clean sheets we kept last season. Four. FOUR! We are already a quarter of the way to matching last season's clean sheets. And we conceded 40 goals all up. The most successful sides last season, the WSW and the CCM, conceded 21 and 22 goals respectively. There's some food for thought.

I am yet to see any evidence that we are mainly going to play negative football. We actually did pretty well with possession and attack in the first half of our pre-season. I'm going to wait until next round before I judge what type of football we will play over the remaining 25+ games.

• Like 5

On a serious note, from what I could make out on very rough pixels via a shitty German Internet connection, thought we dominated the midfield for extended portions and only having the one up front limited our chances as golgol didn't look confident enough to be a lone striker. Defence stood strong in the last 15 minutes which was a pleasant surprise compared to a lot of last seasons performances. Realistically it was a first round match so we can't be too judgemental. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I apologize in advance if this has all been said but seriously last night's active area was crap.

I didn't go to the pub but I got to the stadium at around 10 past 7 and stood in the middle of bay 19. About 10 minutes later a couple who were wearing 

victory gear came into the active area and sat in the 2nd row. Like what the fuck is the point of having a heart active area if victory supporters can just walk in and plonk their asses right at the front of the terrace. Next time I hope the only people that can buy tickets in the active are are strictly active members that have to put a membership code in or something like that because to have victory members in our active area (there were more than those two people btw) is just stupid. Anyway as the guys from the pub came in they took up the whole of bay 20 and the chanting and the involvement in that section was good, bay 19 was poor but 18 was an absolute joke. In bay 19 there were about 20 people around me who were chanting while the majority of the rest were just standing there doing bananas. like there were a few people chanting here or there but most people were doing fuck all. I brought a mate along who has never been to a heart game, he was getting involved and picked up on the chants after we sung them a few times. If people don't want to sing is it that hard to at least clap or something for gods sake. Don't even want to talk about bay 18 everyone was sitting down, like what the fuck? You can't see shit in the active area so why would you get tickets there, get tickets on level 3 and watch the game in peace, I really don't get people. Going to keep the rest short but the chanting was a joke why do people feel the need to speed up the chant to a ridiculous pace. The only chant I think we got right was the 'we love you' chant, that's no fault of the capo's either just down to people not singing and doing there own thing. Overall the game was shit, the active area was shit just a frustrating night all round.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1

I apologize in advance if this has all been said but seriously last night's active area was crap.

I didn't go to the pub but I got to the stadium at around 10 past 7 and stood in the middle of bay 19. About 10 minutes later a couple who were wearing 

victory gear came into the active area and sat in the 2nd row. Like what the fuck is the point of having a heart active area if victory supporters can just walk in and plonk their asses right at the front of the terrace. Next time I hope the only people that can buy tickets in the active are are strictly active members that have to put a membership code in or something like that because to have victory members in our active area (there were more than those two people btw) is just stupid. Anyway as the guys from the pub came in they took up the whole of bay 20 and the chanting and the involvement in that section was good, bay 19 was poor but 18 was an absolute joke. In bay 19 there were about 20 people around me who were chanting while the majority of the rest were just standing there doing bananas. like there were a few people chanting here or there but most people were doing fuck all. I brought a mate along who has never been to a heart game, he was getting involved and picked up on the chants after we sung them a few times. If people don't want to sing is it that hard to at least clap or something for gods sake. Don't even want to talk about bay 18 everyone was sitting down, like what the fuck? You can't see shit in the active area so why would you get tickets there, get tickets on level 3 and watch the game in peace, I really don't get people. Going to keep the rest short but the chanting was a joke why do people feel the need to speed up the chant to a ridiculous pace. The only chant I think we got right was the 'we love you' chant, that's no fault of the capo's either just down to people not singing and doing there own thing. Overall the game was shit, the active area was shit just a frustrating night all round.

Sorry for the rant.

I was in bay 19 too and I also brought a mate along for his first A-League game and you're right, it only takes a few times singing the chants to pick it up and surely enough, we were both singing and clapping and getting right into it in no time. But as you said, there were bugger all people joining in which was very disappointing, there's just no excuse.

Next time, it sounds like the club needs to use it's communication channels to explain what's meant by 'active' so that people wanting to sit and watch can get seats elsewhere.

Agreed, to me it seems like communication was definitely the issue at hand. 

Probably won't be a problem for the rest of the season now though anyway.

Sent an email to the club re so many families and victory supporters in our active area. Communication needs to improve for home games as well.

I think we can do better all round for away derbies. I'd be much happier to go and take Mrs JW along if the Heart members had an opportunity to be together as a bloc, with the clearly allocated area for the active ones.

The arrangements at AAMI always seem pretty good to me - there's very clearly a Heart End and a Victory End and an active area in both.

Surely MHFC can look after its members a bit better when we play at Docklands?

• Like 1

Don't know why Ange is being talked about as Australia coach.  His teams are horribly predictable and even A League coaches are now understanding how to shut his game plan down.  We did a good job of cutting the wingers out and MVFC had nothing else..

As for when we had the ball.  Nothing has changed from last season in terms of build up play and Mifsud better get used to jumping for headers by the look of things..

Sent an email to the club re so many families and victory supporters in our active area. Communication needs to improve for home games as well.

I think we can do better all round for away derbies. I'd be much happier to go and take Mrs JW along if the Heart members had an opportunity to be together as a bloc, with the clearly allocated area for the active ones.

The arrangements at AAMI always seem pretty good to me - there's very clearly a Heart End and a Victory End and an active area in both.

Surely MHFC can look after its members a bit better when we play at Docklands?

There should be something done where Heart fans can sit on the Bays on Level 2 and 3 above the active bays on Level 1 - It would be easier for everyone involved.